Print Thread
Quitting Nicotine and Weight Gain #7263451 08/21/18 06:08 PM
C
Cochise Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
A little over a month ago I finally fully kicked the dipping habit...that part is going pretty well and is honestly pretty easy.

What is not going well is the weight gain. I had lost about 20lb before I fully quit. Now I'm back in the 215-217 range. I am still using the same eating habits that helped with the 20lb weight loss before; so I'm guessing that my metabolism has slowed (31 now - dipped for 16 years). Wife has been on the weight watchers deal for about 6 months and has lost over 30 pounds - I've kind of followed along with her eating - mainly baked chicken breast 4-5 nights a week with fresh vegetables, cheat night on Friday or Saturday, cheat lunch on saturday, and grilled fish/chicken/or some kind of healthy ground turkey dish - with vegetables on Saturday and Sunday. I'm not overly concerned with the eating part (I could do better during the week at lunch).

I used to be in extremely good shape...played sports, spent 3-4 days a week in the gym - through college. After college started working 10 hour days with 3 hours of commuting at minimum. However, when at home on the weekends I am fairly active - just not like before - and I don't "exercise." Realistically 180-190 is a target weight - I'm a broad shouldered big frame short guy.

About this time last year I started running a little bit - but my knees didn't agree with it anymore. No access to a gym right now either...may be something I do later - but the prospect of getting up at 3 to go work out before work doesn't sound overly appealing. I should know how to get myself in shape, but I need some ideas for at home stuff to at least get me started.

I appreciate any ideas!

Re: Quitting Nicotine and Weight Gain [Re: Cochise] #7263459 08/21/18 06:23 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
You're snacking or drinking empty calories, can almost guarantee it. I haven't dipped in about 5 months. Every time I quit,I gain weight. It's easy with snuff, you're hungry, put a dip in, subdue the urge, and you can't eat with a dip in. And snuff is a mouth habit, so you "need" something in your mouth.

You don't think about it, but two packages of crackers is 500 calories, one coke is 150 or so. Plus those three together and you're looking at over 50 carbs, that's a lot!

Just make sure you're not snacking, it adds up extremely fast.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Quitting Nicotine and Weight Gain [Re: Cochise] #7263472 08/21/18 06:38 PM
C
Cochise Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Low sodium sunflower seeds are about it - which I guess probably have quite a few calories. Other than that I don't snack or eat candy - outside of beef jerky - but not in excess.

I only drink a coke at lunch - a lot of times it's unsweet tea. Mornings it's usually black coffee - sometimes a coke with a bagel. No cokes at home. Water, black coffee, whiskey, or unsweet tea.

I think food at lunch is getting me right now - when dipping I could still lose and eat fairly bad lunch 4 days a week - now that I've quit it's not the case.

I think the biggest issue is sitting on my butt 4 days a week and no "real" exercise.

Re: Quitting Nicotine and Weight Gain [Re: Cochise] #7263481 08/21/18 06:45 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Good for you for choosing to stop dipping. Gonna save big $.

Relax on the weight gain, It takes time for our bodies to adjust to the changes. Start walking, drink fluids, and eat healthy. 6 months from now revaluate and adjust accordingly. A year from now you'll be right where you need to be,

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Quitting Nicotine and Weight Gain [Re: Cochise] #7263489 08/21/18 07:04 PM
G
GunsUp18 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Your body will eventually balance out. When I quit smoking I gain some weight then I started losing again. Now 40lbs lighter than when I quit smoking.

Follow my BBQ Adventures on Instagram and YouTube! @mikebowerstv
Re: Quitting Nicotine and Weight Gain [Re: Cochise] #7264909 08/23/18 02:19 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I had to quit running because of my knees as well. I have walked for many years, but don't like to walk where I live now.

I have owned and actually used a Nordic Track cross country machine--off and on--for about thirty years. I'm on about the fourth one. It takes a while, but various parts on them can be worn out. They are on Craig's List frequently, and in like new condition, for about $100 or less. They were $800 to $1,000 machines new, and are good quality.

The key for me on a Nordic Track is distraction. I've watched the news a lot, but mostly have a music play list lined up. Thirty minutes is fine for me. I've gone up to an hour, but I can do a fast strenuous workout in thirty minutes and be done with it. Your commute and work schedule are tough. A Nordic Track after you get home might be worth a try.

Also in your OP you mentioned a "healthy ground turkey dish." I don't know if it is all the same, but read somewhere once that a lot of it has the fat ground in with it. If that's the case then it isn't low cal or low fat.

Re: Quitting Nicotine and Weight Gain [Re: Cochise] #7268807 08/27/18 03:57 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Keto diet. It works. Don't count calories or portions the first week or so. Read up on it, and concentrate heavily on the list of foods you must avoid, the foods you must eat, and those things you can have in moderation. Basically your goal should be 0 carbs and 0 sugar each day. You will get some carbs in the vegetables you eat. As an example, you can eat scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast. With cheese if you want. I'll tell you all you want, but read up on it. Don't buy a Keto program, or supplements. Just do a little research on it.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Quitting Nicotine and Weight Gain [Re: Cochise] #7269277 08/27/18 11:13 PM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
There are a shipload of home workouts online. Snag one and get on it. You can get great workouts in with pushups, air squats, burpees, and the like. Running is extremely overrated for weight loss (IMO). There are also plenty of 'paid' video programs out there. Beachbody, P90X, Insanity, etc. You can also get resistance bands online cheap ($20 a set) and add those in for more difficulty.

Re: Quitting Nicotine and Weight Gain [Re: Cochise] #7269944 08/28/18 02:41 PM
C
Cherokee Mingan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
We were paying to have a lawn service company take care of our lawn and garden needs. Well, I decided to dump them, buy the equipment and do it myself. I do our house and MIL has 2 houses. So altogether I do 3 houses a week. This first month I have lost 16 pounds and I am certain that is it.

Last edited by Cherokee Mingan; 08/28/18 02:42 PM.
Re: Quitting Nicotine and Weight Gain [Re: Cochise] #7272222 08/30/18 04:40 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I quit the snuff for new years and haven't looked back. Now that I'm over that craving I have started the Keto diet and it's really not bad. I eat sunflower seeds constantly, eat next to zero carbs/sugar, and I get very minimal exercise.

I am like you (5' 7" currently @ 207 lbs)

Best advice I can give you is get a fitbit and get as many steps in per day as possible.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide