Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Pickup versus hog...no winners. #7259867 08/17/18 10:45 PM
Adchunts Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
https://5newsonline.com/2018/08/17/truck-vs-7-foot-long-wild-hog-in-leflore-county/

From my old stomping grounds. Ran this section of highway hundreds of times.

Re: Pickup versus hog...no winners. [Re: Adchunts] #7259878 08/17/18 11:01 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Last year I played chicken with a 200+ lb boar out around Lake Fairfield heading to the lease about 10:00 one night. Running the speed limit (70 mph) when out of the edge of the road darkness darts this HUGE hog on a dead run about 50 feet in front of me. BLAM ... The truck leaped up with several loud thuds and another leap as he went under the rear end. Thank goodness for the Ranchhand front-end replacement but it splattered hog innards across the highway and up in underneath my truck. As I got slowed down, there was some weird vibration under the truck, so I pulled over into a gate and got out a flashlight. The smell was unbelievably bad and took me a few minutes to get hog parts out of the front suspension, the driveshaft, the rear axle and spare tire. Bend the diamond plate between the frame and end of the front-end replacement and took out the fog light. I continued on to the lease and the vibration seemed to have gone away. I still went and had the front end looked at to see if there was any damage to the stabilizer/suspension but it all checked out fine. Got the front-end replacement fixed along with fog light, good as gold. PMK =1, HOG=0

2500 Dodge Cummins 4x4 quad cab long bed ... it might have totaled a half ton or car ... or at least caused it to leave the road. It was scary for a few seconds and the stench was horrible until I got back into town to a car wash the next day.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Pickup versus hog...no winners. [Re: Adchunts] #7259907 08/17/18 11:34 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I’d rather hit a dozen deer than hit a hog.

Only hit one it ramped my truck like the general lee

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Pickup versus hog...no winners. [Re: Adchunts] #7260069 08/18/18 02:36 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
On the way to work this morning I slowed down for a bunch of garbage in the road that turned out to be a bunch of hogs and parts strewn all over the road, it was a mess...obviously a big rig hit them!

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Pickup versus hog...no winners. [Re: txtrophy85] #7260090 08/18/18 03:12 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Interesting problem. Hogs tend to do damage from the grill on down. Deer tend to do damage from the grill on up. Hogs don't come through windshields. Deer sometimes do. Either way, folks often seem to lose control of their vehicles and suffer secondary crashes.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 08/18/18 05:02 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Pickup versus hog...no winners. [Re: Adchunts] #7260295 08/18/18 02:28 PM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Hit a 150lb pig several years ago in an F250. Bar ditchs haven’t been shredded in awhile and they started crossing the road. No way to dodge them as they were crossing in a line. Figured I try and hit the smallest one. Caught him on the drivers side front tire. Truck never drove the same after that. Always had alinement issues. Luckily it didn’t do any damage to the bumper.

Re: Pickup versus hog...no winners. [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7260309 08/18/18 02:52 PM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Interesting problem. Hogs tend to do damage from the grill on down. Deer tend to do damage from the grill on up. Hogs down come through windshields. Deer sometimes do. Either way, folks often seem to lose control of their vehicles and suffer secondary crashes.

I hit an 8 pt with my wife suburban several years back. I had just set the cruz at 70 looked up and he and two does were standing in the road. less than 50yds. It was 0530 when I hit him it knocked him off the roadway. We coasted to a stop on the shoulder. I get out while my wife is still digging her fingernails out of the dash. The bumper and hood were not damaged, but everything in between was slammed to the motor. Oil cooler, transmission cooler, a/c evaporator, and radiator. Deer will jump sometimes, Hogs only jump/flip if DNS hits them with his grendel. I did not want to swerve and have a wreck off the road,and if I was going to wreck I was taking his arse with me.

We all need to keep our eyes open for these critters. It is getting time for more movement ours and theirs.

Re: Pickup versus hog...no winners. [Re: Adchunts] #7260326 08/18/18 03:06 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
My daughter sent me a video of 12 dead pigs on the highway near Kingsville. There was a Kia Sportage all tore to pieces on the side of the road with them.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Pickup versus hog...no winners. [Re: Adchunts] #7260415 08/18/18 05:11 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have been in vehicles three times that hit pigs. Once (me driving) had locked up wheels and screeching tires and a slight sideways skid that resulted in me bumping a hog with no damage to either of us (Toyota Celica). The other two times were in Dodge trucks (I was a passenger), once running over a 35 pounder (no damage to the truck) and the next time hitting two smaller hogs that screwed up the truck, causing grill/air damper damage, alignment damage, and bent the frame. Owner reports truck still not right after >$2K in repairs. Here is a video of one of the hogs right after the accident. The other hog was off in the ditch. Impact speed was less than 55 mph, probably 40-50 mph as we were accelerating after a stop at a 4-way intersection.

Re: Pickup versus hog...no winners. [Re: Adchunts] #7260430 08/18/18 05:31 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Have seen the results of many car/hog collisions from GA/FLA all the way over to TEX. Any hog over 150-200# will tend to act just like a boulder, rolling under the vehicle and lifting it right off the roadway. Can actually flip the vehicle over!!!

Re: Pickup versus hog...no winners. [Re: Adchunts] #7260504 08/18/18 07:40 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
There was a bad wreck on the new toll road, Hwy 130, South of Austin where speed limit is 85. Pigs crossed the road, car hit them, and killed one or more. I forget the details. That would be scary at 85+!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Pickup versus hog...no winners. [Re: Blank] #7260845 08/19/18 02:20 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Blank
Have seen the results of many car/hog collisions from GA/FLA all the way over to TEX. Any hog over 150-200# will tend to act just like a boulder, rolling under the vehicle and lifting it right off the roadway. Can actually flip the vehicle over!!!

While I would bet it is possible for vehicles to roll over as a direct result of collisions with hogs, it would be for any animal. When I looked this up a couple of years ago, what I found is that most folks who rolled over after colliding with deer or hogs, did so due to loss of control of the vehicle and not directly due to being physically turned over by hitting the animal. Most left the roadway before their vehicles turned over. Some went down embankments. So had wheels catch the curb or other object after the collision that cause the rollover. Others had the front wheels catch in soft ground off round before rolling over.

For example:
https://www.reporternews.com/story/news/...hway/869051002/

Deer through windshield rollovers.
https://www.wcvb.com/article/man-dies-after-deer-crashes-through-windshield/13456809
https://fox17online.com/2017/11/13/polic...in-kent-county/
https://www.wtae.com/article/ups-truck-hits-deer-flips-on-route-30-1/7458670

My point here is that a lot of rollovers happen after collisions that have nothing to do with the physics of striking the animal, but more with loss of vehicle control after the impact.

Re: Pickup versus hog...no winners. [Re: Adchunts] #7260871 08/19/18 03:11 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
My first deer I almost rolled the car by jerking trying to avoid it (1984). It was a miracle that I was able to regain control. I just brake firm and straight now, I have hit a few. I would rather pay the deductible than roll down the road.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Pickup versus hog...no winners. [Re: Adchunts] #7260956 08/19/18 10:49 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Yep no winners is right. Not to long ago on 148 N of Jacksboro a 3 wheel motorcycle hit a hog and neither survived.

texas flag

Re: Pickup versus hog...no winners. [Re: Adchunts] #7260960 08/19/18 11:01 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
As a traveling Sales Rep in WT & now Hog country, I've seen many DRT critters on Hwy shoulders and sometimes piles of car parts.

My 1st experience with wild critters on the Hwy though was when I topped a hill north of Mineral Wells in the narrow up & down section where the Hwy has been carved out of the hilly area just north of town, and discoverd a flock of buzzards feasting on an unfortunate road kill, running about 75 or 80 in a brand new 1972 white Ford 4 dr hardtop company car. Locked up the brakes, was able to control the skid and all but one of the buzzards lifted off and out of the way.... the one I hit impacted just below my windshield's rear view mirror and flexed the windshield enough to pop off the mirror. I got stopped to see the body damage, but found only buzzard entrails, some identifiable body parts and feathers "flowing" from the windshield's top trim and back across the roof, back window and trunk in a 2-3 foot wide strip. Got to town and tried to wash off the car while the gas station attendant roared with laughter of the sight of me in a suit, white dress shirt and tie failing to get all of eau de buzzard off the car...that stain was still on the car when I turned it in 2 years later, where it had survived Florida's legendary pop up rain storms, and weekly drive thru car washe's on the expense account

Only other really close call was coming home from the lease in a '79 Celica FastBack, headed east into Hamilton late one afternoon in Deer Season. A decent sized 6-8 pt'er? buck had spooked off the side of the road when his 2-3 does nearly got run over and went to the other side of the road instead of back where they came from, for some unknown reason headed across the Hwy, which was what had caught my attention. I saw him step onto the pavement, running flat out in 4th gear just before shifting into 5th, late leaving the lease as per usual, locked up the brakes as he jumped over my hood close enough for me to see his belly and junk at under 3 feet away. One hoof put a dent in my roof as I prayed it would not get caught in the louvered "shadow" over my hatchback window, but there were some fresh scratchs also down the passenger side door top too. Tooo close for comfort but no serious issues except for sitting in damp britch's all the way back to Dallas as I almost lost control of my bladder big time...

Early May of '17 on Hwy 79 about a mile + east of the Palestine Loop, there was a BIG Hog, mebbe 2/250++ lb'er and a mature WT laying side by side on the elevated shoulder barely outside of the white lane line & very few inches off the roadway, with a steep dropoff and deep woods on either side of the roadway. Could not get a good look/see at the WT and could not stop with 3 18 wheelers behind me, but the hog was laying with his head and shoulders upright & flat on his belly with all 4 feet stretched out, splayed like he was laying in mud flat..at first I thought he was still alive. Running at about +/- 60'ish I could see a massive very bloody impact area on the side of the hog's head below his eye (think Peterbilt front bumper size) but otherwise no further evidence of what hit him, no car parts, nuthin'...probably had been hit from one the too many 18 wheelers that run that J'ville to Pal City stretch Hwy 79.
Went on into town and ran the errand promised to the BH before heading home, but 20 minutes later curiosity had gotten my interest up enough and headed back to go see what was what...and BOTH critters were GONE!! leaving only a couple of bloody spots on the pavement...waste not want not I guess. I had not seen any body damage of the lower half of the WT from butt to brisket either. Over here in the Deep Woods these critters are everywhere, all the time and a constant problem.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide