Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,937
Posts9,730,873
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Nilgai hunt this Sunday. First time processing an animal myself. Any Pointers? #7259486 08/17/18 06:03 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I lucked into a quick hunt this weekend in South Texas for a Nilgai Cow. I planned on processing all my own animals this year for the first time. But, I planned on that being whitetail deer. I don't have anyone to actually teach me. So I was hoping someone would be able to share some experience, videos, or pointers? With a Nilgai it seems the ribs have a good amount of meat on them. I usually wouldn't mess with a whitetails rib meat. Are there any other cuts/roasts/etc. on a Nilgai I should give more attention to that would get looked over on a whitetail due to it being too small? Any advice? Thanks.

Re: Nilgai hunt this Sunday. First time processing an animal myself. Any Pointers? [Re: Thisisbeer] #7259537 08/17/18 06:35 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I can't help you with specifics on Nilgali but its the same as a WT just larger. Skin, quarter and muscle out the meat. I like to clean up all my quarters, backstraps, tenders, etc. as much as possible before freezing. I'll keep the backstraps and tenders whole or cut (backs) in half (right at the transition where thin and thick meet). I also like to keep all the leg quarters whole when they go in the freezer. I like to cook the heart at camp or soon after getting home (one of my favorite cuts).

Then later I can make steaks out of the backstraps or cook whole. the front shoulders I'll usually debone, clean up and make burger or keep whole for braising (makes excellent meal). Hindquarters I like to muscle out which if you've never done before you'll be amazed at how easy it is. Just follow the natural seams in the meat and cut out all of the fat, sinew and look for the gland in the rear quarter (you'll find it if you cut out all the fat its in there). Half of it doesn't even require a knife just use your hand. When you get to the bone just just around it close as possible.

You can use the larger cuts for roasts, steaks or hamburger or cube for stew (I use it all for jerky sometimes) and use the scraps for burger or I actually will use some to feed my dog that has lots of sinew. You'll get the hang of it quick. Its amazing how easy it is really but I've been there where you don't know what your doing and get nervous but I can tell you you'll be more than fine. It just makes the meal that much more enjoyable. Oh an if you want to save the ribs cut along the spine and keep all the meat including the skirt with it. Then you can cut them in half lengthwise (cutting rib bones) to make easier portions to cook. Good luck and post pictures.

[Linked Image]
Re: Nilgai hunt this Sunday. First time processing an animal myself. Any Pointers? [Re: Thisisbeer] #7259542 08/17/18 06:40 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
p.s. I don't keep the neck meat on my WT. At least where I hunt I've seen bot flies end up there and that is NOT A SURPRISE I WANT TO FIND BITING INTO A MEAL. sick But you can get some good roasts off of the neck as well. Great for Braising again.

[Linked Image]
Re: Nilgai hunt this Sunday. First time processing an animal myself. Any Pointers? [Re: BuckRage] #7259588 08/17/18 07:04 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Thanks for this. Would you care to share a good heart recipe? I have never had it. But, I have already decided to keep the heart to try it out on this hunt.

Re: Nilgai hunt this Sunday. First time processing an animal myself. Any Pointers? [Re: Thisisbeer] #7259595 08/17/18 07:09 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
my favorite way is to just clean it up as good possible. Take off the top where the veins are, remove as much of the fat... I mean as much of the fat as possible its not hard. Its not hard to do theres not much but if you don't when you cook it it melts fine but when you eat it it'll cool quick and become waxy coating in your mouth I hate that lol. Then rinse it out very well there'll be blood and sometimes clots. My favorite way is just to slice it about 1/4" to 1/2" and just salt and pepper over mesquite coals at camp. Me and my boys will enjoy it just like that with our fingers right off the grill around the fire. Its great with warmed corn tortillas and pico de gallo with a little lemon too. Heart taco's are great. I don't like to bread mine but that's the way a lot of folks cook theirs. Just chicken fried.

[Linked Image]
Re: Nilgai hunt this Sunday. First time processing an animal myself. Any Pointers? [Re: BuckRage] #7259599 08/17/18 07:11 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BuckRage
my favorite way is to just clean it up as good possible. Take off the top where the veins are, remove as much of the fat... I mean as much of the fat as possible its not hard. Its not hard to do theres not much but if you don't when you cook it it melts fine but when you eat it it'll cool quick and become waxy coating in your mouth I hate that lol. Then rinse it out very well there'll be blood and sometimes clots. My favorite way is just to slice it about 1/4" to 1/2" and just salt and pepper over mesquite coals at camp. Me and my boys will enjoy it just like that with our fingers right off the grill around the fire. Its great with warmed corn tortillas and pico de gallo with a little lemon too. Heart taco's are great. I don't like to bread mine but that's the way a lot of folks cook theirs. Just chicken fried.

Awesome, Thank you. My original plan was some seasoning, grilled over the coals about 1/4" thick, with pico and lime for tacos. Sounds like I was really on the right track.

Last edited by Thisisbeer; 08/17/18 07:12 PM.
Re: Nilgai hunt this Sunday. First time processing an animal myself. Any Pointers? [Re: Thisisbeer] #7259604 08/17/18 07:14 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
its actually become my favorite cut. I hate when I put a bullet threw one lol. We usually eat those the night of the kill along with the tenders. Simple seasoning is the best IMO. The tenders go on the hottest part of the grill to a med rare. Then sliced very thin food

[Linked Image]
Re: Nilgai hunt this Sunday. First time processing an animal myself. Any Pointers? [Re: Thisisbeer] #7259625 08/17/18 07:29 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Rinella always make a good video to watch

[Linked Image]
Re: Nilgai hunt this Sunday. First time processing an animal myself. Any Pointers? [Re: Thisisbeer] #7259683 08/17/18 08:23 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
my mom & dad loved deer heart, my mom loved liver too, dad was okay with it but preferred heart. My mom always did everything what I grew up knowing as German fried. just a medium hot skillet with enough oil to cover the bottom, slice the meat into strips, salt/black pepper and roll in flour (I now just season my flour), drop meat into grease and put on a lid. let go for 8-12 minutes, remove lid, flip meat, replace lid. This was like a very thin crusted chicken fried steak (no egg or milk bath), cooked to medium rare/medium (mom didn't want it bleeding). This is how she cooked 98% of all the deer meat (meat, liver, heart), dove, quail, feral hog, etc. that we brought in. I still love it.

I have never tried heart (or liver) directly over charcoal, but might be worth a try.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Nilgai hunt this Sunday. First time processing an animal myself. Any Pointers? [Re: Thisisbeer] #7259731 08/17/18 09:11 PM
D
driedmeat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Nilgai is excellent. The steaks cook up like a very lean sirloin so I try to make steak out of as much of the meat as possible. I leave the shoulders whole and cook them and the neck individually like a pot roast until the meat shreds with a fork. I separate the muscles in the hind quarters and freeze whole for slicing into steaks later. Backstraps get sliced cross grain and grilled. Ribs are bbq'd. Trimmings are made into stew or chili. I don't grind any of it. When ready to cook the steaks, slice them cross grain to your preference, season, drag through melted butter and sear on a hot grill. The butter gives it the steakhouse smoke sear taste. Rare/medium rare (like with most game).

Re: Nilgai hunt this Sunday. First time processing an animal myself. Any Pointers? [Re: Thisisbeer] #7262633 08/20/18 09:31 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Did a cow elk in the backyard once. Should have seen the neighbors faces! Nothing but a thing. Just take your time and get ready for some work.

Last edited by SouthWestIron; 08/20/18 09:32 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide