Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Gun maintenance bench #7256418 08/15/18 10:37 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Freed up some space in the garage and built this. I've been wanting to clean guns before I bring them and place in my safe. I also do light maintenance like stock changes, scope mounting and take down of a few. I'll mount a vise over the leg. I have a fat wrench and a few gun tools. Other than a block what else I need?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Gun maintenance bench [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7256454 08/15/18 11:48 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Well done. up

I use a Tipton gun vise on my bench. It's mostly made of plastic but is adjustable and has held up fine. If I was a smith I would probably get something a little more heavy duty. Mounted a vise to the bench as well.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Gun maintenance bench [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7256485 08/15/18 12:17 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I thought about the Tipton, but with a conventional, multi purpose vise that has a pivoting base and rotating head it will serve the same purpose if I use the front rest shown. A conventional vise will serve other purposes as well. Was thinking a gunsmith kit that has a gazillion tips and configurations such as hex, torx, etc.......

Re: Gun maintenance bench [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7256750 08/15/18 02:37 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
I thought about the Tipton, but with a conventional, multi purpose vise that has a pivoting base and rotating head it will serve the same purpose if I use the front rest shown. A conventional vise will serve other purposes as well. Was thinking a gunsmith kit that has a gazillion tips and configurations such as hex, torx, etc.......

up That's a great idea. I have the Tipton and it's good for what it is, but you have the start of a better set-up right there.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Gun maintenance bench [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7256772 08/15/18 02:48 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Good job, thanks for sharing that.

Re: Gun maintenance bench [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7256783 08/15/18 02:56 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
Good looking set up. up

As for more bits, check out Harbor Freight. I'm typically not a big fan of cheap tools, but they had a 100 piece bit set for $9.99 the other day when I was in there. I picked a set up and it has everything from screw driver bits, to hex, to torx, squares, etc. Can't beat it for the price I don't think.

Re: Gun maintenance bench [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7256787 08/15/18 02:58 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Very nice setup, sir. What is your lighting situation? You may want install a fixture over your bench. For a vise I just use a conventional, multiple purpose unit which I pad when working on guns. I've had no problems with it.

Last edited by Choctaw; 08/15/18 03:12 PM. Reason: Vise, not vice. Dang I'm dumb.
Re: Gun maintenance bench [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7256791 08/15/18 03:00 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Get a few scraps of tight weave carpet to use as your work surface on the bench. First, if you drop a screw on it, it doesn't go flying off the bench, and it protects the finish on the gun. Get strips of magnets so you can make protective jaws for your vise. For the vise jaws I prefer shoe sole thickness leather, the latigo style leather. Sew 2 pieces of the magnet strips to each side, so you have an angle to cover the top and the jaws, do the same with the some scraps of carpet.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Gun maintenance bench [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7256797 08/15/18 03:03 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
It's 3' x 6' (23" on narrow width). I spotted 4 studs and attached ledger with 4-1/2" screws, used hangers on the runners, only needed one doubled up 2 x 4 for the leg along with a 45° to the wall. I'm limited on floor space.

Re: Gun maintenance bench [Re: Choctaw] #7256802 08/15/18 03:05 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Unlimited, my stepson is an electrician. I'll turn him loose on that. I'm with you on the vise.
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Very nice setup, sir. What is your lighting situation? You may want install a fixture over your bench. For a vice I just use a conventional, multiple purpose unit which I pad when working on guns. I've had no problems with it.

Re: Gun maintenance bench [Re: dogcatcher] #7256813 08/15/18 03:10 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I found some soft rubber, grey in color. It comes in a roll. Was considering this since it won't hold dust and fasteners that I drop will be easy to find against the grey color. Will the magnets adhere, through the leather? If yes, I know a guy.
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Get a few scraps of tight weave carpet to use as your work surface on the bench. First, if you drop a screw on it, it doesn't go flying off the bench, and it protects the finish on the gun. Get strips of magnets so you can make protective jaws for your vise. For the vise jaws I prefer shoe sole thickness leather, the latigo style leather. Sew 2 pieces of the magnet strips to each side, so you have an angle to cover the top and the jaws, do the same with the some scraps of carpet.

Re: Gun maintenance bench [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7256901 08/15/18 04:19 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I found some soft rubber, grey in color. It comes in a roll. Was considering this since it won't hold dust and fasteners that I drop will be easy to find against the grey color. Will the magnets adhere, through the leather? If yes, I know a guy.

I took a strip magnet and sewed it to the leather. https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Magnetics-Adhesive-Magnetic-25-Feet/dp/B00114LU8K Cut a length and sew on one for the jaw and another so it sits on the top of the vise. I punched holes with an awl and sewed it on. Did the same with carpet strips. If you can get tanned leather, wet the leather and form it to the jaws, then attach the magnets. I just realized I need to explain this, the magnets are used to hold the leather in place on the jaws.

I used the carpet because it also absorbs any excess oil. Also small screws and parts don't bounce as bad on carpet as they do on wood. The screws and parts won't roll around either. Not sure on the rubber mat. But I have used the carpet remnants on my workbench for decades.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Gun maintenance bench [Re: dogcatcher] #7257869 08/16/18 01:49 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
You punched right through the magnet? I know a leather craftsman, wondering if his heavy duty needle could put a good stitch through the leather. Also, asking him to sew two pieces of leather together on the long edge, making a 90°?.
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

I took a strip magnet and sewed it to the leather. https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Magnetics-Adhesive-Magnetic-25-Feet/dp/B00114LU8K Cut a length and sew on one for the jaw and another so it sits on the top of the vise. I punched holes with an awl and sewed it on. Did the same with carpet strips. If you can get tanned leather, wet the leather and form it to the jaws, then attach the magnets. I just realized I need to explain this, the magnets are used to hold the leather in place on the jaws.

I used the carpet because it also absorbs any excess oil. Also small screws and parts don't bounce as bad on carpet as they do on wood. The screws and parts won't roll around either. Not sure on the rubber mat. But I have used the carpet remnants on my workbench for decades.

Re: Gun maintenance bench [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7258636 08/17/18 12:13 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I got this. With swivel base and rotating head it will do anything I need.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide