Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Scent Elimination Question #7255980 08/15/18 01:08 AM
Stripermania Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I tried not to walk around my feeder when hunting but sometimes I have to when the feeder is out of corn and I have to dump some for the evening hunt. Twice last week, a pig would emerge from the woods and walks toward the feeder and as soon as he gets to where I prevoiusly stood, he would jump and ran back into the woods.. i m wearing rubber boots, wash my clothes with Dead Down Wind and kept them in sealed bags. What is an affective method of not leaving much scent behind? I dont have cows on my property so I cant step on manure and I m inside a good sealed blind and have killed many pigs regardless of wind direction.

Last edited by Stripermania; 08/15/18 01:11 AM.
Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7256013 08/15/18 01:30 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Hogs can smell individual scent particles there is nothing you can do to eliminate all those particles except not walk by where you plan for him to come from. If he fools you once that’s on him if he fools you twicethats all on you.

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7256018 08/15/18 01:35 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
This as a few days after feeding, I don't think I'd worry too much about it. Corn is all powerful.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7256108 08/15/18 02:45 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
i m wearing rubber boots, wash my clothes with Dead Down Wind and kept them in sealed bags. What is an affective method of not leaving much scent behind?

I see you have bought into all the myth and advertising. Never understood the rubber boot concept. People act like skin cells and other bodily molecules only drain out of the feet and that just isn't the case. Besides, did you ever stop to think that the hog was reacting to the smell of rubber? Is the smell of rubber a normal part of the feeder environment?

Quote:
Twice last week, a pig would emerge from the woods and walks toward the feeder...

So why didn't you shoot him?

Short of a Level IV biocontainment suit, you are going to leave part of you behind, right? Even then, you are going to leave part of the suit behind and that isn't going to smell normal to the hog, either.

If he is reacting to your smell around the feeder, then leave some dirty clothing/shoes of yours by the feeder. He will get used to the smell as will the other animals. It will become a normal part of the feeder environment.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7256269 08/15/18 04:51 AM
Stripermania Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
You asked:

My answer:

Inexperienced pig Hunter. I m still learning.

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7256278 08/15/18 05:00 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Stripermania
You asked:

My answer:

What are you hunting with rifle, shotgun, bow, crossbow?

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7256318 08/15/18 05:36 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
You asked:

My answer:

Fair enough. Learn from the experience. Opportunities are not always long lasting.

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7256514 08/15/18 12:43 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Good luck getting him...post pics when you do....keep after him.... up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: CharlieCTx] #7256582 08/15/18 01:21 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
I don't think I'd worry too much about it. Corn is all powerful.

Agreed. Slightly different scent but once just finished my dinner of pork chops of all things and sounder showed up. They didn't mind the grill was still smoking only 70 yards away. I have walked around feeder in the day and killed hogs under it the same night. Obviously it's not the best option. Could you put more corn in the feeder so you don't have to fill so often? I run mine year round and fill only 6 or 8 times a year.

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7256684 08/15/18 02:12 PM
U
Unclek Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
U
Agree on all the good advice!
Ditch the rubber and get some snake boots!
Maybe try a little coon urine on your boots,
I wouldn’t go nuts!
When I bow hunt I beat the crap out of a cedar.
Seems to help overload there nose!
They walk right under the tripod.
Bb2 helps just small bag spread around feeder.

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7256695 08/15/18 02:19 PM
U
Unclek Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
U
Ps buy some that have a leather toe cover!
Not that crap dicks sells

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7256712 08/15/18 02:25 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Theres some obvious answers no one has touched on yet so I will:

Deodarant or antiperspirant? If you wear it make sure its the odorless variety. If you don't wear it, wear some of the odorless variety. Sam can go for shampoo or hair product...don't use it if you are hunting.

Chewing gun/dip/smoking? Any of these things could leave a big scent trail around where you walk. Seems natural fire isn't a turn off for most animals, and I know some people will swear by smoking not causing trouble, but that's for downwind situations. Make sure you are nose breathing around the feeder, make sure your breath is fresh and not full of fruity pebbles gum or minty dip or something else.

Hands? many people don't even want to fill up their car/truck with gas or diesel prior to hunting. You hands can lay as much scent as anything else, so wear gloves and rub some dirt on them before using them.

Bug spray or thermacell. I have had good luck with thermacell in the original scent, but for some reason the deer and hogs on my place can pick out the earth scent thermacell quickly. So I don't use that anymore while hunting. Bug spray is the same way. Best to use permithrin clothing spray a day or two before, let dry and then it is odorless.

Get those rubber boots really dirty. Maybe just scrap them. And when you hunt, don't get near feeder if possible. Make the bee line to the stand and just wait.

Since you said you were a beginner, just throwing out some obvious things you may have overlooked. up

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7256812 08/15/18 03:10 PM
Stripermania Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Thanks for the good advice..

I used a rifle - Armalite AR-10.

So the boar came out at 7:50pm and left after he scented me. At 8:15, 2 really nice 8 point buck showed up and spent 20 minutes eating corn under the feeder. I guess deer are not very spooky or maybe is not deer season yet. After 3 years of casual pig hunting, I am absolutely amazed by the pig snout abilities which explained why I rarely kill a hog the first year with so many mistakes made.

Last edited by Stripermania; 08/15/18 03:16 PM.
Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7256843 08/15/18 03:29 PM
U
Unclek Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
U
Always know your wind when hunting pigs.
I think the pigs in strawn went to college!
They knew when we would get out of the stand
Cause the metal door was so loud!
It took us a while to pick up on that so we tested the theory multiple times and it turned out to be true!
No joke!
We had their number for a few hunts.
It sure was funny when we tricked them!
You will get them dialed in just takes some
Learning how smart they really can be!

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7256891 08/15/18 04:12 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

So the boar came out at 7:50pm and left after he scented me. At 8:15, 2 really nice 8 point buck showed up and spent 20 minutes eating corn under the feeder. I guess deer are not very spooky or maybe is not deer season yet. After 3 years of casual pig hunting, I am absolutely amazed by the pig snout abilities which explained why I rarely kill a hog the first year with so many mistakes made.

There may be a confounding issue here which makes you think it is the pigs nose, but may simply be the pigs survival instinct. Some animals are very cautious. Last time I was out hunting hogs I watched a doe come to the feeder, she stood for 7-8 minutes motionless at the edge of some grass waiting...waiting...nothing was there. She was just being cautious to ensure survival. Within a few minutes, a young buck came out and was eating with her, but he nearly bolted straight to the feeder and never batted an eye getting there. Two boars came in pretty much unfestered that night, from downwind of me, shot them both 20 minutes apart, they never knew what hit them.

The hunt before that, I had deer all around me, but once dark came, I sat for a long time waiting for a certain large boar to show (I got him the next time I was out, the story above). I saw two pigs that were wandering in the woods around the feeder, but they literally circled around the feeder area in the woods but never offered a shot. Sometimes they want to live more than they want to eat. I know pigs should not have to worry about survival instincts too much, but they still are wild animals and they were piglets at one point so they had to worry about something growing up. That survival instinct can masquerade as a good nose or keen eyes, when in fact it is just the pig being very cautious. confused2

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 08/15/18 04:32 PM.
Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7256956 08/15/18 05:12 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

if your hunting with a rifle one there is no need to get that close to a feeder to hunt it and two short the hog when he walks out don’t wait for him to go to feeder if you don’t have to.

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7257095 08/15/18 06:58 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
On the boots. You should clean them with baking soda, rinse with lake water, and store in a leaf bag filled with leaves, etc. Don't wear the rubber boots around a gas station, etc. You should have a different route to the feeder than the stand. Go to and away from the feeder, then take the route to the sand.
You can "short circuit" an animal with other scents, like scratching up the ground, the fresh earth emits a scent and the hog sees the fresh earth.

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7257683 08/16/18 04:25 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Eliminate scent? Impossible

Reduce scent? Sure

Hunt the wind, if you need to go to your feeder or camera do it midday, spend as little time as possible and put a bag of corn on the ground before you leave the area.

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7257876 08/16/18 01:56 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
confused2 could also be scent had nothing ta do with it.
Something else spooked em.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Texas buckeye] #7258854 08/17/18 02:39 AM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Theres some obvious answers no one has touched on yet so I will:

Deodarant or antiperspirant? If you wear it make sure its the odorless variety. If you don't wear it, wear some of the odorless variety. Sam can go for shampoo or hair product...don't use it if you are hunting.

Chewing gun/dip/smoking? Any of these things could leave a big scent trail around where you walk. Seems natural fire isn't a turn off for most animals, and I know some people will swear by smoking not causing trouble, but that's for downwind situations. Make sure you are nose breathing around the feeder, make sure your breath is fresh and not full of fruity pebbles gum or minty dip or something else.

Hands? many people don't even want to fill up their car/truck with gas or diesel prior to hunting. You hands can lay as much scent as anything else, so wear gloves and rub some dirt on them before using them.

Bug spray or thermacell. I have had good luck with thermacell in the original scent, but for some reason the deer and hogs on my place can pick out the earth scent thermacell quickly. So I don't use that anymore while hunting. Bug spray is the same way. Best to use permithrin clothing spray a day or two before, let dry and then it is odorless.

Get those rubber boots really dirty. Maybe just scrap them. And when you hunt, don't get near feeder if possible. Make the bee line to the stand and just wait.

Since you said you were a beginner, just throwing out some obvious things you may have overlooked. up

Not sure if you are joking or being serious. Nose breathing around the feeder? Seriously? Do you use DNS's Level IV biocontainment suit too? Do you fill the feeder with a crane so you don't turn over rocks too?

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7259256 08/17/18 02:46 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Scott, you have to stand on one foot while operating the crane too. I am mindful of scent and wind when I hunt hogs but it ain't I'm hunting Bigfoot. 1. Put corn in feeder 2. Set up before dark 3. kill hogs
Don't understand making it harder than it has to be.

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: garyrapp55] #7259321 08/17/18 03:25 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
Scott, you have to stand on one foot while operating the crane too. I am mindful of scent and wind when I hunt hogs but it ain't I'm hunting Bigfoot. 1. Put corn in feeder 2. Set up before dark 3. kill hogs
Don't understand making it harder than it has to be.

scratch hmmm,
Might explain why the hog run off.. Rumor has it squash uses the baited corn of others ta lure hogs. confused2 might also explain why squash tis seldom seen. All dat rifle chooten going on. Tis also why D, BBT works an hunters dont see dem educated deer at feeders.
i got cheap posts.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7259452 08/17/18 05:20 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Scott W

Not sure if you are joking or being serious. Nose breathing around the feeder? Seriously? Do you use DNS's Level IV biocontainment suit too? Do you fill the feeder with a crane so you don't turn over rocks too?

Don't make fun of my biocontainment suit. It doubles as a rain slicker when the weather turns nasty. roflmao

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7259549 08/17/18 06:45 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Im telling y'all, just cut a big ole nut sack off the next boar you kill and staple it to one of your boots. It brings in other boars from miles away.

Re: Scent Elimination Question [Re: Stripermania] #7259608 08/17/18 07:16 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
So the boar came out at 7:50pm and left after he scented me. At 8:15, 2 really nice 8 point buck showed up and spent 20 minutes eating corn under the feeder.

The above is your answer, which means there isn't one. Yes they can smell you, particularly if you're upwind, that doesn't mean they haul azz. I had a sounder walk right up next to my Pioneer with me sitting on the other side in a folding camp chair one night. I thought they were cows, I don't know who was more surprised when I stood up and looked.

Just try and stay downwind and don't overthink it, particularly your pen activities.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide