Print Thread
Caddo National Grasslands & Twin Buttes PHL #7247654 08/07/18 02:39 AM
K
krutter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
K
Hi everyone. Myself and another hunter have been to the Bois D’Arc Unit at the Caddo WMA a couple years in a row primarily looking for deer, but we were also keeping an eye out for the other game that have seasons there. When we've gone we camped at the camping area in the North East corner off 2325 and venture to the South and West. But so far we haven't had any luck finding anything. If anyone has had any luck hunting this WMA I'd love to hear any advice you're willing to give.

We've also been contemplating going to Twin Buttes PHL South of San Angelo as it also seems to have quite a bit of options for game. Is there anyone that could offer some insight to this land? Maybe which camping locations to avoid? Or if there is areas of the land that are impassable?

I'm still fairly new to hunting, and am very much enjoying the trips I get to take so any insight or past experiences y'all have and are willing to share is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: Caddo National Grasslands & Twin Buttes PHL [Re: krutter] #7251637 08/10/18 09:14 PM
L
Leveled Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
There are deer at Bois D' Arc but the place is over hunted. The deer know to avoid this land during daylight hunting season as well as most other animals. I have walked many miles through this forest for the last five years. The advantage is it is very close to DFW. The LBJ grasslands close to Decatur are better since the parcels of land are spread out. (LBJ is shotgun slug and archery only.) Twin Buttes PHL is much better and will be my go to place if I don't draw on a hunt. The first two weeks of shotgun season is going to be the best chance to get a deer.
(This land is shotgun and archery only.) Shotgun slug hunting is a bit more challenging. I bought a Savage 220 after getting frustrated with my Mossberg maverick slug barrel. I was there last year during the rut and deer were everywhere. This is also one of the few public lands that allow hand broadcast of corn, taking a doe or a buck, and no Antler restrictions. (Double check regulations as they can change.) Also exotics may be found on this land as well. On one trip there was three days of rain and only ATVs could use the roads without getting stuck. There are paved entry points and camping allowed at some of them. Not all the land can be hunted and some is archery only so download the google earth data from TPWD to make sure you are on the right place. San Angelo is only a few minutes away so cheap hotels are another option instead of camping.

Re: Caddo National Grasslands & Twin Buttes PHL [Re: Leveled] #7252504 08/11/18 08:42 PM
K
krutter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
K
Originally Posted By: Leveled
There are deer at Bois D' Arc but the place is over hunted. The deer know to avoid this land during daylight hunting season as well as most other animals. I have walked many miles through this forest for the last five years. The advantage is it is very close to DFW. The LBJ grasslands close to Decatur are better since the parcels of land are spread out. (LBJ is shotgun slug and archery only.) Twin Buttes PHL is much better and will be my go to place if I don't draw on a hunt. The first two weeks of shotgun season is going to be the best chance to get a deer.
(This land is shotgun and archery only.) Shotgun slug hunting is a bit more challenging. I bought a Savage 220 after getting frustrated with my Mossberg maverick slug barrel. I was there last year during the rut and deer were everywhere. This is also one of the few public lands that allow hand broadcast of corn, taking a doe or a buck, and no Antler restrictions. (Double check regulations as they can change.) Also exotics may be found on this land as well. On one trip there was three days of rain and only ATVs could use the roads without getting stuck. There are paved entry points and camping allowed at some of them. Not all the land can be hunted and some is archery only so download the google earth data from TPWD to make sure you are on the right place. San Angelo is only a few minutes away so cheap hotels are another option instead of camping.

I was wondering if Bois D' Arc was maybe a tad over used. I've seen a lot of evidence of animals, but I've never actually seen an animal.
I'm really considering going to Twin Buttes this year. Is it normally possible to get to the camping/parking areas by truck down there? Do you recall when the rut was last year?

Thanks for all the information, it is much appreciated!

Re: Caddo National Grasslands & Twin Buttes PHL [Re: krutter] #7268981 08/27/18 06:32 PM
L
Leveled Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
I was there at Twin Buttes second week in November and the deer were very active - Bucks chasing does. The camp site at the end of road 2166 for the most part is paved and just on the other side of the entrance. Once inside the WMA there are a few used camps along a dirt road that is decent even when wet. Both times I went it was very wet. Two years ago I camped on the other side of the Dam on the south unit off of 584 when it was dry. To get there one has to drive around the Dam which is close to two miles. When it is wet a huge muddy paddle blocks the entrance. Last year I saw lots of trucks there with trailers and people rode in with ATV vehicles. It was the same for the other entrance just on the other side of the lake.
check the link:

TPWD Twin Buttes

I did a lot of driving around and there are other entrances easy to get to off a paved road. When wet the 2166 entrance is the best.

Re: Caddo National Grasslands & Twin Buttes PHL [Re: krutter] #7335787 11/02/18 05:18 PM
B
brianaustintx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Not to bring back a dead thread....but glad I found this! Been wanting to travel to a new area, found Twin Buttes in the APH handbook. From what you are allowed to hunt, it seems pretty interesting. Has anyone been here recently? I have no access to an ATV, so curious how wet it is out there.

-Brian Austin
www.briancaustin.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide