Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hunting From The Tailgate #7246791 08/06/18 02:54 PM
T
Txduckman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Who shoots dove while sitting on the tailgate? While technically illegal, apparantly many still do according to the GW thread. Personally I have seen a couple guys out of hundreds actually sit on the tailgate so pretty sure it is not too common. Plus it is not comfortable to shoot from and provides no shade. I like full range of motion if birds are flying. Birds flare after a few days of shooting anyway.

I am not going to debate leaning on a tailgate, which is technically illegal as well but that would be about impossible to prove and a hard position to shoot all your birds from.

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7246819 08/06/18 03:20 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I'm lazy but not that lazy. I pull down a chair and set it by the tail light. Let's me keep my cooler in the bed, I can switch sides based on sun/shade, and my dog is at my side where he is supposed to be.

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7246829 08/06/18 03:28 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Sometimes I do, sometimes I shoot from a chair. A lot of times we sit in the back end of the Polaris under a tree. Depends on the setup and how/where we are hunting. I’ve always read that law to mean you can’t be driving around shooting birds/chasing them. That makes sense and is what I would consider “hunting from a vehicle”.. I see zero benefit from “sitting” on your tailgate while hunting so I’m not sure why the law would be interpreted as hunting from a vehicle if that is all you’re doing.

Last edited by krmitchell; 08/06/18 03:29 PM.
Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7246855 08/06/18 03:45 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
What about parking your truck/vehicle across the field from where you are hunting? I have always thought birds flared when hunting to close to a vehicle so I park the truck away from me as not to flare the birds away from my location. But technically this could be construed as 'concentrating' birds which would technically be illegal since the birds would be flaring away from the location I left my truck, in the part of the field I am not hunting.

Quote:
It is unlawful to use motor-driven land, water or air conveyances or sailboats to concentrate, drive, rally or stir up any migratory game bird.

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7246878 08/06/18 03:57 PM
T
Txduckman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
It is clearly or unclearly (since it doesn't say make of pickup and butt position) stated in the regulations you cannot even touch a vehicle when pulling the trigger as that would be "hunting from it". Stirring up birds is right below it. Few outfitters I have been with make it clear to not be sitting on the tailgate if fed GW shows up. You can google it and find other discussions about it and tickets issued.

"It is unlawful to hunt from or by means of motor-driven vehicles and land conveyances or aircraft of any kind except paraplegics and single or double amputees of legs may hunt from stationary motor-driven vehicles or land conveyances. It is unlawful to use motor-driven land, water or air conveyances or sailboats to concentrate, drive, rally or stir up any migratory game bird."

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/migratory-game-bird-regulations/methods

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7246882 08/06/18 04:07 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
It isn't clear at all, and there is zero mention of "touching" your vehicle. It says hunting "from", so what the definition of "from" is can be debated. Maybe this would be a good question to reach out to TPWD via email and ask them. Have them go on record of what is and what isn't hunting "from" your vehicle. I've done this a few times regarding spikes, and other questions I had that I wanted clarified. I can almost guarantee you they aren't going to say if you are simply touching your vehicle you are hunting "from" it. I think you have a better argument if you are sitting in the bed in lawn chairs or on a cooler rather than leaning against it but I'm guessing that would vary from warden to warden.

Last edited by krmitchell; 08/06/18 04:11 PM.
Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7246929 08/06/18 05:01 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
There was an episode of Lonestar Law where one of the wardens shot an antelope from the passenger seat of a pick up on private lands. I remember him talking about it being legal because it wasn't from a road. Why would it be different for migratory game birds vs. fur-bearing animals? I need to try and find that episode.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: TLew] #7246945 08/06/18 05:10 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: TLew
I'm lazy but not that lazy. I pull down a chair and set it by the tail light. Let's me keep my cooler in the bed, I can switch sides based on sun/shade, and my dog is at my side where he is supposed to be.
Ditto

Bobby Barnett

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7246958 08/06/18 05:24 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
There was an episode of Lonestar Law where one of the wardens shot an antelope from the passenger seat of a pick up on private lands. I remember him talking about it being legal because it wasn't from a road. Why would it be different for migratory game birds vs. fur-bearing animals? I need to try and find that episode.

The distinction is that there in no prohibition on hunting deer/antelope/hogs, etc. from a vehicle on private land.

Migratory birds it specifically outlines no hunting from a vehicle.

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7246960 08/06/18 05:26 PM
T
Txduckman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
This law is specific to migratory birds only and is Federal law. It is not a state law. Feds don't regulate deer and antelope hunting.

https://www.fws.gov/le/hunter-responsibility.html

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: krmitchell] #7246963 08/06/18 05:28 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: krmitchell
Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock

The distinction is that there in no prohibition on hunting deer/antelope/hogs, etc. from a vehicle on private land.

Migratory birds it specifically outlines no hunting from a vehicle.

Thanks.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7247545 08/07/18 01:02 AM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Seems like a silly law, but I wouldn’t do it anyway.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7247566 08/07/18 01:21 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Seems like a silly law

What’s the rational for the law? I understand if the vehicle is running, otherwise it makes no sense. Should be like hunting out of a boat.

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Guy] #7247590 08/07/18 01:38 AM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Guy
Seems like a silly law

What’s the rational for the law? I understand if the vehicle is running, otherwise it makes no sense. Should be like hunting out of a boat.

Yep, agreed. What is the difference between a tailgate of a parked truck/UTV and a chair 1 foot away.

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7247646 08/07/18 02:32 AM
T
Txduckman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Safety??? Guy on our lease has a tailgate that will fall if you step on it. Lol. grin

I would say having guys ride in bed while someone else drives it to stir up birds and guys in back shoot? So they just made a one size fits all law possibly eliminate all hunting from a vehicle and not argue if they were driving birds or not. I was checked up in Grayson and a kid was driving a 4 wheeler stirring up birds. He got a talking too and hunters were pissed at the kid.

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7247658 08/07/18 02:45 AM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
If the vehicle isn’t running/has no one in the cab etc, it seems pretty obvious that they weren’t driving around stirring up birds with people shooting from the back. Guarantee you more hunting accidents happen when people are climbing out of blinds or crossing fences then sitting on the tailgate of a parked truck.

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7247666 08/07/18 02:51 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
It is clearly or unclearly (since it doesn't say make of pickup and butt position) stated in the regulations you cannot even touch a vehicle when pulling the trigger as that would be "hunting from it". Stirring up birds is right below it. Few outfitters I have been with make it clear to not be sitting on the tailgate if fed GW shows up. You can google it and find other discussions about it and tickets issued.

"It is unlawful to hunt from or by means of motor-driven vehicles and land conveyances or aircraft of any kind except paraplegics and single or double amputees of legs may hunt from stationary motor-driven vehicles or land conveyances. It is unlawful to use motor-driven land, water or air conveyances or sailboats to concentrate, drive, rally or stir up any migratory game bird."

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/migratory-game-bird-regulations/methods

So you can’t hunt ducks from a motor boat? You can get a BWI, which carries the same penalty as a DWI, so on those same thoughts you wouldn’t be allowed to hunt from a boat. Got to get in that water

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7247690 08/07/18 03:21 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I like to shoot my morning limit from the tailgate and my evening limit from the front bumper.

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Guy] #7247695 08/07/18 03:27 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Guy
Seems like a silly law

Agree. If I sit on the tailgate while the truck is off and clearly parked for the hunt, how is that different than if I throw a camping chair next to the tailgate and hunt from that.

There are a lot of hunting laws that are nonsensical and favor authority. Some wardens apply common sense to such situations; others use it as a bludgeon to look into everything and issue tickets for similarly silly laws. It happens on all levels of law enforcement.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7247701 08/07/18 03:31 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Safety??? Guy on our lease has a tailgate that will fall if you step on it. Lol. grin

I would say having guys ride in bed while someone else drives it to stir up birds and guys in back shoot? So they just made a one size fits all law possibly eliminate all hunting from a vehicle and not argue if they were driving birds or not. I was checked up in Grayson and a kid was driving a 4 wheeler stirring up birds. He got a talking too and hunters were pissed at the kid.

You’re adding what if’s to a scenario that was described explicitly. You can’t pull over a car because it might speed later or might have already been speeding. Why can you assume a hunter was hunting from a tailgate and illegally driving birds?

One size fits all laws aren’t unique to hunting, but they are just as bad and seem to be more prevalent in hunting than every day life.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7247706 08/07/18 03:38 AM
machine73 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
"So you can’t hunt ducks from a motor boat? You can get a BWI, which carries the same penalty as a DWI, so on those same thoughts you wouldn’t be allowed to hunt from a boat. Got to get in that water"

I imagine it's the difference in wording. Part of the regulation specifically states water conveyances and other does not. There could be a difference in definitions between Federal and State law. Dunno, but seems likely.

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7247736 08/07/18 04:40 AM
T
Txduckman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
As Sasser puts it every year, even if the law doesn't make sense, better off following it. Only the feds know the real answer it seems like which was written decades ago I suppose.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-s...ected-plentiful

Sec 62.003 is the violation they can write tickets for.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PW/htm/PW.62.htm#62.003

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7247929 08/07/18 01:34 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
So what about using a vehicle to 'block off' 'divert' birds to your location?

I think boats/cars/utvs have a tendency to flare birds. So I frequently park my vehicle across the field/pasture/lake or down the shore from where I am hunting as to not scare birds away from my location. But at the same time I realize that the birds typically won't land right next to a boat on the shore or a truck in the field. So technically I am using the vehicle to divert or 'concentrate' birds which is illegal according to the law.

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7247953 08/07/18 01:55 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
It is unlawful to hunt from or by means of motor-driven vehicles and land conveyances or aircraft of any kind, except paraplegics and single or double amputees of legs may hunt from stationary motor-driven vehicles or land conveyances. It is unlawful to use motor-driven land, water or air conveyances or sailboats to concentrate, drive, rally or stir up any migratory game bird.

I am going to do what I always do. Sit on the tailgate until a bird comes. Then I will stand up (on the ground) and shoot a dove as it flies by. There, all legal!

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7248653 08/08/18 12:06 AM
T
Txduckman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
I asked TPWD. They replied today so nothing new. I doubt this was ever about possibly sitting on a tailgate and shooting but they can regulate it that way. You can just pop off and shoot and pop back up and no issue anyways.

"Good Afternoon,

It is unlawful to hunt from or by means of motor-driven vehicles and land conveyances or aircraft of any kind except paraplegics and single or double amputees of legs may hunt from stationary motor-driven vehicles or land conveyances. It is unlawful to use motor-driven land, water or air conveyances or sailboats to concentrate, drive, rally or stir up any migratory game bird.

Per that regulation, I would make sure I was not near the tailgate to reduce any confusion from a game warden.

Thank you,
Wildlife Information"

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide