texas

Bobby Barnett

Re: Hot weather line drills [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #7240075 07/30/18 09:08 PM
Y
yakinthebox Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
I was working with my dog this morning and I have a question. I was training in a pond very similar to that one. Long and narrow. I would throw a bumper out and instead of lining straight to it through the water, he would run the bank on either side and jump in at the closest point that he could, then run the bank back...

How do I fix this or is it something that even needs fixing? Any pointers appreciated.

If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready!
-Anonymous
Re: Hot weather line drills [Re: yakinthebox] #7240205 07/30/18 11:30 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: yakinthebox
I was working with my dog this morning and I have a question. I was training in a pond very similar to that one. Long and narrow. I would throw a bumper out and instead of lining straight to it through the water, he would run the bank on either side and jump in at the closest point that he could, then run the bank back...

How do I fix this or is it something that even needs fixing? Any pointers appreciated.

Well...

Most dogs natural tendency is to run the bank. It's faster and takes less effort. However, it can in some cases cause the dog to lose the mark and in upper level hunt tests and field trials it will get you dropped.
In most cases you can get by with a hunting dog that runs the bank.

I "de-cheat" every dog I train.

The a answer to your question of "how do i fix this" isn't a simple one.

You have to teach the dog to handle...meaning stopping on the whistle and casting.

That way you can stop him when he cheats and show him what you want be casting him into the water.

The process to teach a dog to handle generally follows the following flow chart but some will have different variations.

Formal obedience on and off lead and whistle.
"Sit"
"Here"
"Heel"

Force Fetch
Simple Casting
Collar Conditioning
Pile work
Double T
Swim-by

Once you get through all that you can do cheating singles and channel blinds.

This is the process I follow with some other drills mixed in.

If you want to teach your dog to go straight and handle reliably at a distance then you'll need to buy a good program and follow it or find a good pro to help you.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Hot weather line drills [Re: BradyBuck] #7240734 07/31/18 03:23 PM
S
SheCrappieKilla Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Originally Posted By: yakinthebox

Well...

Most dogs natural tendency is to run the bank. It's faster and takes less effort. However, it can in some cases cause the dog to lose the mark and in upper level hunt tests and field trials it will get you dropped.
In most cases you can get by with a hunting dog that runs the bank.

I "de-cheat" every dog I train.

The a answer to your question of "how do i fix this" isn't a simple one.

You have to teach the dog to handle...meaning stopping on the whistle and casting.

That way you can stop him when he cheats and show him what you want be casting him into the water.

The process to teach a dog to handle generally follows the following flow chart but some will have different variations.

Formal obedience on and off lead and whistle.
"Sit"
"Here"
"Heel"

Force Fetch
Simple Casting
Collar Conditioning
Pile work
Double T
Swim-by

Once you get through all that you can do cheating singles and channel blinds.

This is the process I follow with some other drills mixed in.

If you want to teach your dog to go straight and handle reliably at a distance then you'll need to buy a good program and follow it or find a good pro to help you.

Agreed.

Or just teach them to run straight on land first. Fence lines and tree rows that are 300 yards long, work great and are a simple training tool. Put your pile of bumpers 6 feet or so away from the fence or tree line, run your pile work along that straight line, start off short and get a little longer each week, util they understand straight lines. I started my blind work this way also, they will amaze you and you will not have to blow that whistle all the time.

When you get to the water, after they know you are wanting straight lines, start off at the waters edge, if he tries to run the bank, stop him and start over, this time move up or even get in the water a foot or so, most will catch on the first time. Start off short on the water and get longer in the weeks to come, keep it simple.

It will come natural without all the fights.

Re: Hot weather line drills [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #7241443 08/01/18 02:42 AM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
It's been my experience that teaching them to run straight on land does not translate to going straight in water. Water force, water blinds and cheating singles will accomplish the goal.
I work on cheating marks every couple of days with my dogs.

Robby

Re: Hot weather line drills [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #7241866 08/01/18 03:48 PM
H
hunting_guy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I used a collar to decheat mine by applying pressure when they tried to run the bank... immediately release pressure once back on line in the water. Keep moving marks closer and closer to land to tempt the dog to run the bank and they figure it out pretty quick.

Re: Hot weather line drills [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #7256666 08/15/18 02:02 PM
Y
yakinthebox Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
Thanks guys. It's been a slow process for me and the dog. I'm far from a pro and try to work with him every day.

I fully understand that he'll probably never be perfect. I'm not trying to run him in competitions or anything of that sort. I was mainly asking because as the first responder mentioned, they sometimes will lose their mark when they cheat. It's not the end of the World for me if he does it but I'll definitely work on it using the advice offered.

Appreciate all the feedback! That's why I love this forum!

Yakinthebox

If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready!
-Anonymous
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide