Print Thread
Rifle Bedding - What do I need to know? #7239607 07/30/18 01:12 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Along with trying to teach myself how to shoot better, I have long been wanting to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of it too myself.

It's a Savage model 12 with a Shilen 308 barrel on a HS precision stock.

I had to get a new bolt head which became the imputious. Finally gathered all the tools, including go/no-go set. Turned out the new bolt did have headspace issue a d it was easier to fix than I thoight. Now I want to bed the stock and replace the recoil lug.
I'm going to start tonight with bedding the scope base.

Any tips, tricks or word of caution?
I've done about all the fact finding missions online that I could. Even found a YouTube video series from some channel called Vaughen Precision. Just wanna know if anyone here has some words of wisdom from their experiences. Ultimately I'd love to pillar bed my 700 with a wood stock.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Rifle Bedding - What do I need to know? [Re: Korean Redneck] #7239615 07/30/18 01:23 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I did my savage 14 classic before last year.

Be careful, take your time, triple check before you put epoxy on it.

I ordered savage pillars off ebay, they have a goofy cut out at the top of the rear pillar for clearance of the trigger.

Mine came out good and was a definite improvement for accuracy. Watched a few videos on youtube. I wish I would have had a drill press to drill the holes in the stock, if you have access to one I would do that instead of a hand drill.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Rifle Bedding - What do I need to know? [Re: Korean Redneck] #7239782 07/30/18 04:16 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Make sure you double check your release agent and dont get the bedding material where you dont want it. I know this sounds like common sense that should go without saying but a permanently bonded action that will never come out of the stock or bedding material thats visible will irritate you as long as you own the rifle.

Re: Rifle Bedding - What do I need to know? [Re: Korean Redneck] #7239786 07/30/18 04:18 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I know someone who's done dozens, if not hundreds, of action beddings and he uses surgical tubing wrapped around the entire length of the action to get an even pressure from front to back. I've never tried using it, but it makes sense.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Rifle Bedding - What do I need to know? [Re: Korean Redneck] #7239787 07/30/18 04:19 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
You should apply release agent (I used axle grease) to the threads of the mounting hardware just in case.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Rifle Bedding - What do I need to know? [Re: Korean Redneck] #7239829 07/30/18 04:59 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
surgical tubes are ok, or can use inletting screws (ones with the t-handle) experiment with epoxy--drying times..low humidity, will harden faster, mix a dab and see how it goes

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Rifle Bedding - What do I need to know? [Re: Korean Redneck] #7239842 07/30/18 05:16 PM
pertnear Offline
"Demolition Man"
"Demolition Man"
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
Along with trying to teach myself how to shoot better, I have long been wanting to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of it too myself.

It's a Savage model 12 with a Shilen 308 barrel on a HS precision stock. ....

Interesting post. How accurate is the rifle now & what improvement are you looking for? Your rifle sounds top-end with a Shilen/HS stock. I have no personal experience with the HS stock but it should already be closely fitted to your action as manufactured. Doesn't it already have aluminum bedding block?

I've done a number of pillar/glass-bed's but always on wood stocks. On fitted fiberglass stocks the only improvement needed is an epoxy skim coat IF the bedding is bad.

FWIW

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: Rifle Bedding - What do I need to know? [Re: pertnear] #7239918 07/30/18 06:22 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: pertnear
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck

It's a Savage model 12 with a Shilen 308 barrel on a HS precision stock. ....

Interesting post. How accurate is the rifle now & what improvement are you looking for? Your rifle sounds top-end with a Shilen/HS stock. I have no personal experience with the HS stock but it should already be closely fitted to your action as manufactured. Doesn't it already have aluminum bedding block?

I've done a number of pillar/glass-bed's but always on wood stocks. On fitted fiberglass stocks the only improvement needed is an epoxy skim coat IF the bedding is bad.

FWIW

Just to clarify, I'm NOT pillar bedding the HS stock on my Savage. Only want to replace recoil lug and bedding it to the stock. The pillars are for a wooden stock on my 700 30-06.

Answer:
Its accuracy now is good to great. The best I've shot up to 300yds is a 2" group with hand loads. I would say at 300-400, which is all ice shot regularly. The rifle and hand loads is somewhere just south of 1.0moa. Still have more testing and exploring to do with reloading.

As for what I expect, any and all improvement from current. Part of it is to satisfy my need for tinkering with chit. This whole experience has been like a little science experiment for me to understand...
What is real and what isn't in terms of improved performance. And, probably most importantly, what has the cost return.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Rifle Bedding - What do I need to know? [Re: Korean Redneck] #7239983 07/30/18 07:33 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Ah the reason I bought a wood stocked savage was because I like to tinker. I wanted to bed it, it wanted a gun I could take the barrel off and swap etc. myself. The bedding did have a pretty big effect on how the gun shot, in a good way.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Rifle Bedding - What do I need to know? [Re: Korean Redneck] #7240180 07/30/18 10:48 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Accra Glass kit would be a good way to get your feet wet. Use modeling clay to dam off the areas you don't want epoxy and to plug all holes in the action. Masking tape the stock as well as the bottom and muzzle side of the recoil lug. Make sure you don't miss a good coat of release agent on the barreled action. When you have everything prepped, double check for fit before mixing the epoxy. Follow the instructions and have a rubber mallet handy to aid in breaking it apart the first time. Kit, tape, and clay should come to less than $40. Bedding is one of the most cost effective accuracy tweaks you can do. I have never seen accuracy deteriorate do to proper bedding. If the bedding is suspect, you should see tangible improvement. Bedding is the first thing I do when I get a new rifle.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide