Night vision + helmet setup #7230327 07/20/18 07:16 AM
F
floresrsr Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
Folks,
Im learning about night vision monoculars and the tactical helmets so that i can have a hands free setup.
What is your setup? What are your pros and cons?
Thanks in advance.

Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war.
Ernest Hemingway

Re: Night vision + helmet setup [Re: floresrsr] #7230452 07/20/18 01:10 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I can cover a few of the cons of tactical helmets. I have tried them, don't like them. That isn't to say they are bad, just not for me.

1. Weight - First you have the helmet. Then you have your NOD(s). Then you have your counter balance weights on the helmet to offset the NOD(s) so as not to cause as much neck strain by the imbalanced distribution of weight caused by the NOD(s). Some folks get used to the weight. Others (like me) found it and the strain it caused to be unacceptable after long periods of hunting.
2. Bulk/height - people seem to bang their helmets on the door frame getting in and out of vehicles
3. May limit the use or type of hearing protection you want to use
4. May cause you to have to mount your rifle in a different manner
5. Depending on how you outfit your helmet, it may tend to snag on things in heavy brush

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Night vision + helmet setup [Re: floresrsr] #7230568 07/20/18 02:45 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Agree with DNS -- you have to figure out if it's right for you.

I have an OPS-core BUMP helmet, wilcox bridge, and mount my Flir Breach to it for my non-dom eye. Battery pack goes in the counterweight pouch and all in all it's pretty light.

The advantage of my setup is I hate holding the monocular up to my eye for long periods of time while walking and worrying about my rifle, cords, straps, etc.. The disadvantage of my setup is that the breach reduce depth perception while walking, can't be used in pure dark situations like NODs can, and doesn't align with my eye "perfectly" because of how it was constructed. BLUF - I prefer the helmet setup still.

Re: Night vision + helmet setup [Re: floresrsr] #7231321 07/21/18 03:59 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Team Wendy helmet, optics are below. Riding or walking, I wouldn’t do it any other way.

Takes a little practice, but I drive my Pioneer lights out with my Thermal, no problem.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Night vision + helmet setup [Re: floresrsr] #7232324 07/22/18 04:46 PM
H
hdfireman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I agree with the Team Wendy helmet. I started with a cheap Chinese knock off and the Team Wendy is far superior. To start go with a Gen 3 PVS-14, j-arm and rhino mount and a counter balance. I have mine balanced so that I don't have a need for the chin strap. I use mine to drive and stalk and feel it is an important part of the way I hunt. When I get to a shooting position I remove the helmet and using the chin strap I hang it at my side on my extra rifle mag.

I agree it adds weight to you melon but I have gotten used to it and can wear all night long. The reason I like stalking with helmet mounted NV is I always have eyes on the target as I make my approach. There are many times a pig will think something is there and look right at me. I stop and wait for it to go back to eating. I can then move closer. Also I use an IR laser and in the event they alert and run I can immediately put rounds down range with the IR. I have seen many times when people make a stalk and as they get close the pigs will alert and move on because the hunters kept walking. You can do the same with a hand held thermal but then you are tying up a hand.

[Linked Image]
07 FFL
eric@blackstonearms.com
214-945-5520
The 6.8 is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs in an AR15
Re: Night vision + helmet setup [Re: TLew] #7233694 07/24/18 02:05 AM
F
floresrsr Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
Thank you

Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war.
Ernest Hemingway

Re: Night vision + helmet setup [Re: hdfireman] #7233697 07/24/18 02:06 AM
F
floresrsr Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: hdfireman
I agree with the Team Wendy helmet. I started with a cheap Chinese knock off and the Team Wendy is far superior. To start go with a Gen 3 PVS-14, j-arm and rhino mount and a counter balance. I have mine balanced so that I don't have a need for the chin strap. I use mine to drive and stalk and feel it is an important part of the way I hunt. When I get to a shooting position I remove the helmet and using the chin strap I hang it at my side on my extra rifle mag.

I agree it adds weight to you melon but I have gotten used to it and can wear all night long. The reason I like stalking with helmet mounted NV is I always have eyes on the target as I make my approach. There are many times a pig will think something is there and look right at me. I stop and wait for it to go back to eating. I can then move closer. Also I use an IR laser and in the event they alert and run I can immediately put rounds down range with the IR. I have seen many times when people make a stalk and as they get close the pigs will alert and move on because the hunters kept walking. You can do the same with a hand held thermal but then you are tying up a hand.

Thank you.

Ernest Hemingway

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide