Print Thread
Killing Johnson Grass #7224405 07/14/18 03:36 PM
G
GLC Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
G
So what can I spray on Johnson Grass that won't kill Bermuda or St Augustine grass in my yard?

Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: GLC] #7224444 07/14/18 04:38 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
Ya can't SPRAY over another grass. Use a wipe with wicks. The Johnson grass is well above your Bermuda grass. You will be OK

Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: Walkabout] #7224515 07/14/18 06:31 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Walkabout
Ya can't SPRAY over another grass. Use a wipe with wicks. The Johnson grass is well above your Bermuda grass. You will be OK

This and use a Glyphosate...

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: GLC] #7224527 07/14/18 06:49 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Find some MSMA. It will kill Johnson grass and not the Bermuda It will kill the St. Augustine.

Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: GLC] #7224632 07/14/18 09:38 PM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
MSMA what I always used.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: GLC] #7224681 07/14/18 11:21 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Napalm

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: GLC] #7224700 07/14/18 11:56 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
MSMA is the expensive way.

Round-Up (glyphosphate) is the cheap way. The end result is the same.

The last 2 years I have sprayed Round-Up at 1 pint per 10 gallons per acre (=1.6 ounce per gallon). Bermuda that is good and tall barely shows a hint of yellowing. The Johnson grass gets smoked. Do it before the Johnson grass makes a seed head for longer lasting results.

And before anyone says you can only do that in early spring. I record date, and temp. Every time I've done it, the temps were 90° to 100°F.

This will likely kill St.Augustine in a broadcast spray. If the Johnson is in patches, spot spray it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: J.G.] #7224797 07/15/18 02:43 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
MSMA is the expensive way.

Round-Up (glyphosphate) is the cheap way. The end result is the same.

The last 2 years I have sprayed Round-Up at 1 pint per 10 gallons per acre (=1.6 ounce per gallon). Bermuda that is good and tall barely shows a hint of yellowing. The Johnson grass gets smoked. Do it before the Johnson grass makes a seed head for longer lasting results.

And before anyone says you can only do that in early spring. I record date, and temp. Every time I've done it, the temps were 90° to 100°F.

This will likely kill St.Augustine in a broadcast spray. If the Johnson is in patches, spot spray it.

Because of the way Round-Up works, a lot of its effectiveness is dependent upon the the weed being dormant or actively feeding. Droughts cause plants to close their cells, essentially stop feeding. Rain, or watering them a day prior to spraying poison greatly increases the ability of the poison to work. Temp has little to do with it.

I had my yard sprayed last week, even though the guy spraying it andI knew it wouldn’t be very effective. But we need to get some poison out before the sprinkler guy showed up. As expected, it wasn’t successful due The the weeds being in a dormant state.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: GLC] #7224801 07/15/18 02:44 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Also, check your waters Ph. It needs to be below 7 for most poisons to work to their full potential. If not, add an ounce of vinegar per gallon until it’s below 7, then add the poison.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: Walkabout] #7224830 07/15/18 03:38 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Walkabout

This was our method. A PVC wand with a wick that was kept soaked with Roundup.
Link with instructions to build one. https://doublebhomestead.wordpress.com/2013/07/21/handheld-roundup-rope-wick-applicator/

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: GLC] #7224841 07/15/18 04:17 AM
M
MeanGreen85 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Where can you find MSMA? Home depot carried it years ago but doesn't seem to anymore.

Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: MeanGreen85] #7224882 07/15/18 11:21 AM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: MeanGreen85
Where can you find MSMA? Home depot carried it years ago but doesn't seem to anymore.

At your co-op. Ask for target 6

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: GLC] #7225845 07/16/18 03:29 PM
P
pug Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P

"My grandfather told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those who take the credit. He also told me to try to be in the first group since there was much less competition."
Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: GLC] #7225970 07/16/18 05:28 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: GLC
So what can I spray on Johnson Grass that won't kill Bermuda or St Augustine grass in my yard?

Just keep mowing at two to four inches. It will eventually cause the Johnson grass to die off.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: pug] #7226264 07/16/18 08:46 PM
P
pug Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
And you can make your own rope wick applicator from PVC and cotton or nylon rope. Just Google "rope wick applicator" and you'll find images from hand-held to tractor-mounted wicking ideas.

And whereas repeated mowing will help, it will not get rid of the root system (and jfyi...pulling it by hand in heavily infested areas is a joke as it takes forever, does not affect the root systems, and may actually help proliferation due to aeration of the roots). It will return and it will spread. You've got to do both -- treat the roots (glyphosate) and then keep it cut short and/or pulled. Within a season you'll kill it out.

Originally Posted By: Johnson Grass Control Field Guide

Control Practices
To eradicate Johnson grass, control measures must be thorough. Various cultural practices and chemical herbicides will effectively control germinating seed, seedlings, and established plants. Objectives of a good control program include:

Prevent production and spread of seed
Destroy seedlings before rhizomes are formed
Weaken and kill existing rhizomes
Control new infestations as they appear

RECOMMENDED PRACTICES IN NATURAL COMMUNITIES OF HIGH QUALITY

Initial effort in areas of heavy infestation
Johnson grass does not infest areas of high natural quality heavily except for the naturally disturbed environment such as along river banks where it is difficult to control selectively. Seed panicles should be cut and removed from the area where practical. Dense patches can be controlled by spraying the foliage with 2 percent Roundup (a formulation of glyphosate). Best results are obtained when glyphosate is applied to plants that are 18 inches tall to early flowering stage.

During this period the herbicide will be most effectively translocated to the roots and rhizomes. Care should be taken to avoid contacting non-target plants, since Roundup is a nonselective herbicide. Do not spray so heavily that herbicide drips off the target species. The herbicide should be applied while backing away from the area to avoid walking through wet herbicide. By law, herbicides may only be applied as per label instructions.

Effort in areas of light infestation
Clumps and individual plants may be hand pulled during June, just after a rain when the ground is soft. All plant parts should be removed from the area. Broken stems and roots left in the ground should be dug up if only a small area is involved. It is more effective to spot-treat the individual plants with herbicide than to pull them, and large clumps can be sprayed with 2 percent Roundup using a hand sprayer or backpack sprayer. Herbicide treatment may need to be repeated for several years to ensure good control.

Maintenance control
Preferred treatment is hand pulling of individual plants immediately upon discovery. All plant parts, including rhizomes, must be removed. It may be necessary to hand pull a population several times to obtain control. Surrounding seed sources should be eliminated where possible to prevent continual re-invasion.

"My grandfather told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those who take the credit. He also told me to try to be in the first group since there was much less competition."
Re: Killing Johnson Grass [Re: bill oxner] #7230524 07/20/18 02:23 PM
G
General Guts Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: GLC

Just keep mowing at two to four inches. It will eventually cause the Johnson grass to die off.

This ... Bill knows ... flehan

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide