Forums46
Topics537,013
Posts9,719,414
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 #7222669 07/12/18 04:02 PM
HOF Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
I've been contemplating whether to make this public, as it is so personal in nature. For the past decade I have been a type II diabetic. In my case, it is self inflicted based on diet and lifestyle. Through the years my doctor has gradually added new drugs and dosages, to the point he told me in March that insulin was the next step. At 325 lbs, keep in mind a decade ago I was at 395, and at mid 50's age-wise, I was ashamed of how far I had slipped. The real gut punch was discovering how much muscle is lost to diabetes, thus making the slope go from gentle decline to dropping over a cliff. I mean my A1c went from low 7's to low 8's in a 60 day period. My fasting blood sugar each morning ranged from 185 to 235. I'd wake up in the morning and my feet would shuffle like an old man. My wife finally decided to stop making me biscuits and gravy and told me she was putting us on the HCG program.

Here's what I've found in my own 4-5 month journey. I was addicted to carbs and never knew it. I thought I understood nutrition and fitness principles...I did not.

The HCG diet that we went on is simple. You rub a hormone creme on in the morning for 37 days, it is the hormone pregnant women produce, basically telling your body it is not starving and allows you to burn fat without your brain convincing yourself you are starving. During the 40 day hormone phase you eat 500 calories of lean meat and very strict types and portions of vegetables. Basically, a uber low carb diet. What I felt 7-10 days in was what I can only imagine a heroin addict feels when going through withdrawls. The hunger for tortilla chips, any carbs, was fierce.

A month before I began the diet I began walking. The first two weeks I could barely make a mile each morning and I was so out of shape my feet blistered. After the first two weeks I was readily able to make two miles. Then I started doing 2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. At about 6 weeks, I set the objective of being able to do 2 miles in 30 minutes. I wasn't even close. I also started going to gym, working on the machines, and swimming. Progress was painfully slow. I had lost so much muscle I couldn't lift a 3rd of what I could in college. It was very sad.

The same doctor offered T replacement therapy. At this point I'd try almost anything to reverse a fraction of the impact of the irresponsibility of the prior decade. I found the T replacement thread in this forum and sincerely appreciated the candid back and forth debate. My personal doctor and cardiologist are firmly against the HCG and T replacement. However, their arguments are less founded in what we know and more in what we don't know. When I began searching online I discovered 99% of what is out there is a sales pitch about T replacement. I didn't fully trust the doctor prescribing the program as she had financial interest. The conundrum for me was, "what questions should I even be asking?".

That's where our resident EMT Excellibus has been a God send. He agreed to engage offline in explaining what I should even be asking in addition to current fitness and dietary information. Science has marched forward since my time in the 70's and 80's. Because of his input, I was able to challenge the doctors, cut through the sales b.s., and get straight answers. In my case, I love the doctor I am working with, but when I started asking for exact numbers, specific targets, etc.. Things got real and I started getting what I was paying for. There was accountability, and it would have taken me months to figure out what I got here in a few days. Brett, you have my sincerest thanks.

Moving forward to today, I am in my second HCG session with the wife. I am 60 days into the T replacement therapy, and I've dropped 45 lbs. I walk 4 miles in the morning, the first 2 in 30 minutes. I swim 1/2 to 1 mile 3 to 4 times per week. I lift 2 to 3 times per week, and walk 2 miles each evening. Perhaps more importantly, my fasting blood sugar is in the 70's to 80's each morning. My A1c was 5.4 this morning. Several months ago I was in a size 50 jean. Today I'm in 44, and they're getting baggy.

I've still got better than 50lbs to go. I sincerely have serious apprehension as to how long I can stay away from the Mexican food places, but I am taking it one day at a time.

This is shared in case the next guy stumbles along and wondering if Type II diabetes can be treated another way. Or, if T replacement is the devil. I can only speak for my journey, but so far, I'm glad I'm doing it.

Next week I have a calcium test and visit with the Cardio doc. We'll see how that all turns out.

And, Psalm 103.

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7222733 07/12/18 05:23 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Had been wondering how things are going for you and very glad to read this post up

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: kmon11] #7222775 07/12/18 06:16 PM
HOF Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Had been wondering how things are going for you and very glad to read this post up

Thanks Kmon. One day at a time, one day...

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7223408 07/13/18 10:07 AM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Flat out awesome man......very proud of you up

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7224161 07/14/18 03:04 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
That's awesome, keep it up. Isn't it amazing what eating right and exercise can do. There's no magic pill, just hard work and good choices.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7227372 07/17/18 08:57 PM
C
chongo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Congrats! Awesome progress.

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7229400 07/19/18 03:08 PM
HOF Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Two quick updates. My annual blood test came back and my doc cut my met for metformin and lysortin in half, kept me on celebrex, and dropped the cholesterol and triglyceride scrips. It is miraculous how much my cholesterol and triglyceride levels dropped.

Now, I fell off the wagon last week and eating no carbs at all, but eating extra meats and vegetables, I put on 9lbs in 5 days. What a nightmare. I've spent this week eating one meal a day and working out as much as I can muster. As of today I'm still 2 lbs from being where I was last week.

Anyway, wanted you to know it's a gut wrenchingrocess of highs and lows. Today, I'm in the fight against my flesh.

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7229571 07/19/18 05:19 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
the blood test and meds being cut is fantastic. The other well we all have little setbacks from time to time to work through. You have this just keep it going up

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7230200 07/20/18 02:18 AM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Glad to hear you got off some meds and reduced others. That's fantastic and great to see your hard work rewarded. As far as the setbacks, they happen. Don't burn yourself out trying to compensate. This is a marathon not a sprint.

Try to start transitioning to less frequent weigh ins. Once a week max. It will screw with your head and motivation.

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7234372 07/24/18 07:38 PM
H
HogBranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
You have to change the way you relate to food. FROM: Live to eat TO: Eat to live

It gets easier, stick with it.

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HogBranch] #7234528 07/24/18 09:33 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Originally Posted By: HogBranch
You have to change the way you relate to food. FROM: Live to eat TO: Eat to live

It gets easier, stick with it.

yep. Food is fuel to me. Nothing more 99 percent of the time

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7234633 07/24/18 11:00 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Outstanding effort on your part and congrats on the progress you have made. You know you can do it so keep up the good work.

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7238961 07/29/18 06:03 PM
HOF Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Thursday:
Morning, walked 4 miles in 59:56 new best time
Noon, rode recumbent bike 30 minutes
Evening, 3 rounds of weights, swam 1/2 mile, walked 6 miles.

Friday, walked 10 miles

Saturday,
Morning 2 miles
Noon 1/2 mile swim
Mid afternoon, 44 minutes / 15 minutes on recumbent bike
Evening 3 rounds of weights and 2 mile walking.

Lost 54 lbs since Feb. and fasting blood sugar 74 this a.m.

My feet, and knees hurt, but my energy level is increasing. My stamina is noticeable compared to where it once was non existent. In Feb and again in March I struggled to walk a mile and had to deal with blisters. I feel like I'm picking up momentum. Diet is critical as is daily exercise routine.

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7238996 07/29/18 06:55 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Congrats on the weight loss. What walking shoes are using? My plantar fasciitis is really hindering my walks. Only getting in a couple miles at a time.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7239057 07/29/18 08:21 PM
HOF Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Jimbo, I have 4 pair of Brooks. I rotate them each use. They are expensive, but they are worth it.

I get where you're coming from regarding the walking. It has bee a long, slow, journey building up the feet and body to handle any distance. I think the swimming and weights are plaYing a bile role in speeding up the fitness and weightloss.

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7239071 07/29/18 08:50 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Hey HOF, Appreciate the info. I'll check those Brooks out. I really like walking at the indoor track at the gym. The wife is such a good cook, she's slowly killing me!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: Jimbo1] #7239086 07/29/18 09:16 PM
HOF Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
I get one model of Brooks at Academy for a little over $100 per pair. They have a whole bunch more to choose from on their website.

When I started out I was using the Academy sale shoes for 40 to 50 bucks. I wanted to see what made the Brooks worth twice the money so I splurged. Within 2 weeks I went back and bought another pair my feet felt so much better.

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7240457 07/31/18 07:02 AM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
You can also go to a running store (Run On is one local to me) and the employees will have you take your shoes off and walk around the store. They'll watch which way your feet rotate amongst other things and tell you which shoe is best for you. I did it then bought some online.

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: Exbellicus] #7240523 07/31/18 11:43 AM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Exbellicus
You can also go to a running store (Run On is one local to me) and the employees will have you take your shoes off and walk around the store. They'll watch which way your feet rotate amongst other things and tell you which shoe is best for you. I did it then bought some online.

^^^This for shoes.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7246217 08/05/18 10:10 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
You need to try to work into a shoe with zero drop. Inov-8 has minimal drop shoes, then Altra have zero drop. It can take a while to get used to zero drop, but it's worth it.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7267420 08/25/18 11:16 PM
HOF Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
3 weeks ago yesterday the wife and I picked up our new bicycles. I rode 38 miles last Saturday in the Burnin Vernon Race. I finished. Today I rode the 50 mile Hotter than Hell in Wichita. It kicked my butt, I finished.

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7296315 09/24/18 10:00 PM
HOF Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
I didn't want to broadcast this to the world until it was done for various reasons. First being the wife was home alone off and on and...

My college roommate and I embarked on a Texas to Arkansas bicycle tour two weeks ago. We started in Sherman and cycled to Bentonville, Arkansas. We planned the daily segments to be around 30 miles. Some days were as short as 17 and some were as high as 41. Being old, fat, and never doing anything like this it was difficult to know what we should expect. If you've been following, you know I've been walking, doing light lifting, swimming, and got a bike 6 weeks ago. In preparation for the trip my old college roommate had ridden exactly seven miles on a bike prior to our big adventure. Needless to say, it took us an hour to go three miles before he had to stop and take a break on our first day.

We stayed at cheap hotels, ate diner food, and basically, hurt like we did back in two a days. We visited with folks along the way in tiny towns, remembered how wonderful our fellow man is, and had a blast.

As has become my habit, we we hit the floor each morning around 4 a.m.., had a short devotional, prayed, and headed out before sunrise to beat the traffic and the heat. I'm hoping to do a more in-depth write up for ya'll, but I've got a lot of catching up to do at work and home. I simply wanted to keep those that wander across this post updated.

Of course, one of our first stops was the DAM BAR.

We learned just how tough hills can be on fat guys on bicycles. We hit the park during midweek and owned the place. It was like being back at Church camp.

Robbers Cave

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7296830 09/25/18 12:34 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Good job! Keep up the new lifestyle!

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7330473 10/29/18 03:40 PM
HOF Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
It has now been 6 months since the wife and I did our first round of HCG. We just started our third. I also began my second round of HRT pellets this month.

Thus far, I'm holding at about 45 lbs down, and keeping the weight off is the hardest thing I've ever done. Last month we gave up all alcoholic beverages as they aren't conducive to liver function and keeping the weight off. I wasn't a heavy drinker, perhaps 2 drinks a week on average, but I can do without them.

Two weeks ago I rode my bicycle 80 miles. This past weekend I only went 40 because the pinched nerve in my neck has returned. This week I have begun riding my bike to work. It's only three miles and takes me about 10 minutes.

I'm trying to do add a few little lifestyle changes to hold the weight and lose a few more pounds.

Several weeks ago the wife and I began doing YOGA for beginners via You Tube on our big screen television. It was pretty hilarious watching two of us try and stretch and balance, but three weeks in and we can see improvement in our flexibility.

The wife is devouring material about the KETO diet. I believe this is the direction we'll be going in December.

She is finally walking normal after her knee replacement and starting to build a little confidence on her bike rides. Who knew there was a different fun ride somewhere in Texas almost every weekend. It gives her an excuse to hangout with other gals doing working towards the same end.

All in all, at this point I can't say I'd change a thing about the HGC and HRT programs. They aren't cheap, but they work about as hard as you do. My only ongoing problem is my ravenous appetite. I suppose I'll battle this until they plant me in the ground.

Re: HGC diet / Type II Diabetes / T replacment / Psalm 103 [Re: HOF] #7333190 10/31/18 05:14 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Good for you and your wife!

Have you tried foods like high bulk low calorie types such as celery, carrots, almonds (not necessarily low calorie but your body doesn't typically use all the calories in almonds), etc for giving you the appetite suppression you desire but not adding much in caloric intake?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide