Print Thread
Duck Search #7218758 07/08/18 07:43 PM
S
SheCrappieKilla Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Judee did a little log jumping, with a big splash on the other side, on a duck search.

You can't teach desire, she goes nuts when she catches the scent.

Re: Duck Search [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #7218791 07/08/18 08:16 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
So what all does a "duck search" entail?

Do you plant a duck out somewhere and then send the dog? Do you handle?

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Duck Search [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #7218850 07/08/18 09:28 PM
S
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Plant a flightless duck, send the dog on a blind. Intentionally in the wrong direction, typically at least a 100 yard swim in cover to the opposite bank. Dog is required to systematically hunt or search without any commands from the handler for 10 minutes minimum, in the water. If the dog finds the duck before 10 minutes, they will require you to resend the dog.

They are testing how smart the dog is or his natural hunting ability to find wounded game without any direction from the handler, other than when you send the dog. Heck you can't even say good girl or blow a here whistle once they find the duck.

Thought it was stupid, until I tried to teach it. Your pup has to have brains and know how to think on it's on. I now understand it.

Just like quail hunting, you don't use hand signals to find quail.

I am sure you have been to a hunt test recently, nothing but a bunch of whistle blowers. Most dogs don't have a chance, they have been burned so many times they don't know what to do, for the fear of getting lit up. Truly it is sad, pour dog never has a chance to think on it own.

Re: Duck Search [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #7218853 07/08/18 09:32 PM
S
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
After we pass the NAVHDA Utility Test, we will start running the same hunt tests that you have been running.

Just training differently and with tons of confidence.

Re: Duck Search [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #7218863 07/08/18 09:52 PM
S
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
She will swim a 160 to 200 yards blinds in open water and when she hits the opposite bank, without any whistles or commands, most of the time she won't be off by 10 yards and or sometimes less.

She didn't make day three of the ear pinch when force fetching, never finished force fetch, she has never been forced to a pile either.

We will both end up at the same place in time, we are both just on different roads.

Re: Duck Search [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #7219070 07/09/18 01:17 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I had a discussion with a guy not long ago about our expectations of a dog in true hunting scenarios. I encounter situations on almost every hunt where I do not know exactly where the bird is and in many instances I can't see my dog. I want my dog to be able to track and hunt up cripples without my direction to an exact location.

It started with a discussion on how I believed hunt tests to be lacking in real world hunting scenarios.

He was adamant that he would never allow us dog out of sight and wants complete control in all situations...

I just agreed to disagree.

I hope no one ever accuses me of being heavy handed or having dogs that look scared or anything but loving every minute on their training or testing.

Rally was "different" to FF...her desire to please is off the charts. I didn't need a lot of pressure and if I would have hammered her we would have not made much progress.

I taught "hold" and "fetch" first with no pressure, then when I went to ear pinch she knew exactly how to turn off the pressure and I gave just enough for her understand but not enough to get her down.

I can't say that she didn't at times get a little down but I was able to pick up her spirits quickly...

At the beginning of this video I'm FFing and had moved to picking up off the ground.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 07/09/18 01:25 AM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide