Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: Buzzsaw] #7163932 05/08/18 04:54 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
My buddy just got a dui, the fact he had his pistol in his car was another violation on top of it all.

Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: kdub] #7163971 05/08/18 05:49 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: kdub
My buddy just got a dui, the fact he had his pistol in his car was another violation on top of it all.

I hate to assume so will ask, does he have LTC?

Or should I say "did he"?

Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: Buzzsaw] #7164090 05/08/18 08:08 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Whether a driver has a LTC or not, having a firearm in the car while drunk driving is a crime - the unlawful possession of a weapon - because drunk driving is a crime above a Class C traffic ordinance.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c) or (d), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

Tex. Pen. Code Ann. § 46.02

Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: Buzzsaw] #7164118 05/08/18 08:35 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I can't remember if he has an ltc or not.

Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: Buzzsaw] #7164124 05/08/18 08:40 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Thanks. I was sure it is a crime. Follow up question would be how this affects their
future ability to obtain LTC or even purchase firearms.

Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: PKnTX] #7164127 05/08/18 08:43 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: PKnTX
Thanks. I was sure it is a crime. Follow up question would be how this affects their

Yes, most likely will be a Class A misdemeanor if it is a first offense DWI, which is a disqualifier for a LTC.

If it turns into a felony DWI, then they are prohibited from owning or even being in possession of a firearm for the rest of their life.

Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: jeffbird] #7164676 05/09/18 09:07 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Whether a driver has a LTC or not, having a firearm in the car while drunk driving is a crime - the unlawful possession of a weapon - because drunk driving is a crime above a Class C traffic ordinance.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c) or (d), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

With a LTC is it up to officer if you are drunk, if you read the early posts

Without a LTC maybe you have to have BAC of .08 and above

Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7164677 05/09/18 09:09 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Glad that worked out for you - sounds like you did everything just right.

Even rookie cops are not supposed to be idiots.

That's kinda why they undergo the training to be certified. The problem with letting them figure things out is that they might kill somebody or get themselves or someone else killed in the meantime.

My uncle got in issue with a Dallas cop. He was drinking one night and the cop was there but in plain clothes. Somehow my uncle carried a couple thousand cash on him and the cop starting asking him question.

They got into a fight, the plain clothes cop pulled his gun and fired it, thankfully it jammed. My uncle beat him up.

Long story short, he got charged with attempted capital murder, Grand Jury no billed him.

Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: RedRanger] #7165210 05/09/18 09:13 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: RedRanger

(2) the person is:

Please post the different definitions of "intoxication" that you think apply to the two different scenarios, drunk driving with a LTC vs. drunk driving without a LTC, as the definition looks the same to me regardless, but I'm open to learning something new.

Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: jeffbird] #7165319 05/09/18 11:46 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

(2) the person is:

Please post the different definitions of "intoxication" that you think apply to the two different scenarios, drunk driving with a LTC vs. drunk driving without a LTC, as the definition looks the same to me regardless, but I'm open to learning something new.

The standard is the same either way. It is a BAC of .08 or more or losing the use of your mental or physical faculties. Either way it's the officer making a determination of whether you are intoxicated or not. The only difference is the charge. If you don't have an LTC it's UCW and if you do have one it's Unlawful Carrying of Handgun by License Holder.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: Grizz] #7165331 05/10/18 12:05 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Grizz

(2) the person is:

The standard is the same either way. It is a BAC of .08 or more or losing the use of your mental or physical faculties. Either way it's the officer making a determination of whether you are intoxicated or not. The only difference is the charge. If you don't have an LTC it's UCW and if you do have one it's Unlawful Carrying of Handgun by License Holder.

Thank you Grizz.

Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: Buzzsaw] #7165734 05/10/18 02:18 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
That right there is the reason I don't have a LTC but do carry in my truck.........

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: Buzzsaw] #7178305 05/24/18 04:21 AM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I've been pulled over about 5 times in the 8 years I've had my CHL. Every time I did what was stated above (windows down, keys on dash, dome light on if it was night). I had one officer ask me to point to where it was (told him I was carrying apendix) which made me uncomfortable moving my hand any direction toward my gun. None wanted to see it or remove it. 1 didn't even ask where it was. I didn't get tickets for any of the stops. I think they do respect someone who goes the extra steps to get the license.

I will occasionally have a beer out at dinner and still carry. Very rare I drink more than that out in public anyway.

Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: Buzzsaw] #7178510 05/24/18 01:50 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Nope. If I even think I may have a drink, my weapon stays home. Since I do 99% of the driving, I don't drink away from home base anyway. Just not worth it.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: Buzzsaw] #7213228 07/01/18 07:46 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
If you find yourself not being able to know your limits, leave it at home.

Last edited by MS1454; 07/01/18 07:58 PM.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: jeffbird] #7213621 07/02/18 10:57 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Yes, most likely will be a Class A misdemeanor if it is a first offense DWI, which is a disqualifier for a LTC.

Maybe in Texas

Easy solution: Get a LTC/CHL from Vermont or another state that Texas has agreement with.

This is done on a regular basis to drive in Texas when a person can't get a Texas DL due not having a valid visa, they go to one of the states that issues DL to illegal aliens and they are legal to drive in Texas.

Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: RedRanger] #7214194 07/02/18 11:40 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

Maybe in Texas

Easy solution: Get a LTC/CHL from Vermont or another state that Texas has agreement with.

This is done on a regular basis to drive in Texas when a person can't get a Texas DL due not having a valid visa, they go to one of the states that issues DL to illegal aliens and they are legal to drive in Texas.
you are the equivalent of what the Army calls a barracks lawyer. You spew off a bunch of nonsense you know nothing about lol but pretend to know it all. Thankfully Grizz cleared it all up.

Re: Alchohol and carrying heat [Re: SapperTitan] #7214250 07/03/18 12:42 AM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

Maybe in Texas

you are the equivalent of what the Army calls a barracks lawyer. You spew off a bunch of nonsense you know nothing about lol but pretend to know it all. Thankfully Grizz cleared it all up.

+1...150%

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide