Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... #7208343 06/25/18 11:58 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
This is a thread about HUNTING. Not shooting, not long distance shooting, not practicing shooting steel, paper, truck tires, not the benefit of ballistic reticles, what grain bullet is best for long range hunting, etc.

The past few days a few threads have mentioned people wanting to go hunt out west, mainly elk and mule deer, but were stumped by how to do it or intimidated by cost, lacking physical, abilities, etc.

I'm not expert by any means but I've been fortunate enough to have gone on several DIY western hunts and have had some success.

I won't share my secret tips, tactics or any of that business but I will offer encouragement and a push in the right direction.

It has been my experience that most people over think western hunting as being some extreme adventure type hunt from all the stories we read and videos we watch. while it does take more effort than sitting in a blind, its far, far oversold on this aspect

Also, cost comes into play. a DIY hunt requires some minimal gear but can be done cheaper than a lease. My Colorado trips average right at $1500 including tag and fuel..i have the gear accumulated over several years. Most folks think its very expensive. Outfitted hunts can be, but DIY is pretty economical.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208508 06/26/18 02:58 AM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
I’ve been hunting out west the last couple years. The weirdest part for me starting out was the idea of Public Land. Having grown up in Texas this was a mostly foreign concept, and even still feels a little weird occasionally.

Agree on affordability. I will hunt 4 states this year, 3 of them solo. And I won’t have spent the same amount of money on applications (11 states), tags (WY, CO, NM, UT), gear, fuel, etc as I would have spent on a lease when you take into account corn, fuel, protein, feeders and so on. Not to mention how much I won’t have spent paying for guided hunts in Texas. Though a free range Axis is high on my list.

My usual budget break down:
Applications: $1200 (can be done much cheaper and more expensively)
Tags: $1500 ($1650 this year if I draw my UT cow elk)
Gohunt membership: $150/yr
OnX Elite Membership: $100/yr
Fuel: $1800
Lodging: $500 (I camp as much as possible, but a hot shower will make you feel human again)
Food: you have to eat anyway so I don’t add this up necessarily

This year will drive around 7500 miles, assuming I take my truck for the hunt in Wyoming with a couple buddies (otherwise can take 2200 miles off of that). Taking a low estimate of 12 mpg, I will spend $1800 on fuel at $3/gallon (this will be broke out over 4-5 hunts, 1 hunt per month starting in August). With a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming, a pronghorn and mule deer in CO, another pronghorn in northern NM, and maybe a cow elk in southern Utah, it’s going to be a heck of a year for driving to say the least.

Adding a hunt out of state a year can be done very easily with OTC tags in AZ (archery), Colorado, Idaho, California, Utah, etc, you don’t even necessarily need to play the application game.

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208509 06/26/18 02:59 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Pass. I kill everything I want to right here in Texas.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: SapperTitan] #7208519 06/26/18 03:07 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

Then go away

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: SapperTitan] #7208520 06/26/18 03:08 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Don’t hunt just camp. Some of my greatest memories are my dad hiking/camping with me and teaching me to gut cutthroat trout. Plus Cool nights beat the heck out of Texas heat.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208529 06/26/18 03:20 AM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Quick note. The Wyoming trip’s Fuel charges will actually be split 3 ways, so you can cut $400 off of that $1800. So I’m looking at spending a total of about $5,000. Application season is over for the most part, tags are paid for, so for the rest of the year, all I really have are travel expenses associated with each hunt.

And I totally get Sapper’s opinion. Texas has it all, if you want/can afford to pay. Obviously I could afford a lease or a guided hunt or two, but that’s not what I choose to do anymore. I grew up/cut my teeth hunting whitetails outside Lowake. I’ll sit in a blind and kill deer and hogs no problem. I just like to see new places a bit more.

Last edited by Fitzwho; 06/26/18 03:37 AM.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7208536 06/26/18 03:38 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Don’t hunt just camp. Some of my greatest memories are my dad hiking/camping with me and teaching me to gut cutthroat trout. Plus Cool nights beat the heck out of Texas heat.
My son prefers bass filets but im not against camping visiting parts of the west.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208546 06/26/18 03:56 AM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
While in the service and I was stationed in Alaska, I took advantage of the resident status and was able to hunt moose, caribou, Dall sheep, and black bear. I got out of the service and came back home to Texas. I hunted NM for about 21 years for muledeer and enjoyed every minute of it. This year, I'm going to CO for my first elk hunt. Every one of the hunts were DIY with family friends. Dad made the first several hunts to NM until old age caught up with him. I prefer the DIY hunting out west because when I do get a deer I feel like I've earned it.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208556 06/26/18 04:39 AM
S
shea.mcphail Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
You spend $1200 just on applications?? How many applications do you put in for?

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208557 06/26/18 04:39 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Western hunting can be as big or as little of an adventure as you want. Look at Wyoming. It's hard to find a hunting spot that's more than a couple miles from the road on the east side of the state, but I know a spot on the west side of the state that's a 30 mile hike in one direction. Those are the two extremes, most places lie somewhere in between.

That 30-mile wilderness expedition requires a guide for out-of-state hunters and a guide with horses is better. That's expensive, but it's still probably cheaper than a deer lease in Texas.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208559 06/26/18 04:44 AM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Send me a PM if you have questions about Idaho. Nice thing is that we have OTC tags, and about 65-70% public land. Hunt the earlier seasons while it is still beautiful, then go back to Texas for Dec/Jan rut hunts for your own areas.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208567 06/26/18 06:49 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
I always wanted to hunt out West, mainly for an Elk but didn't think it was affordable, didn't understand the draw systems (didn't really take the time to learn them), and wasn't keen on hunting public land. Figure that last part was from being raised hunting in Texas all my life and hearing horror stories about overcrowded mountains and valleys. Only time I have left the state to hunt is for whitetail.

Last year, I went to Colorado on a DIY bow hunt for elk with Bobo. It was an adventure to say the least and I am looking forward to going back this year and adding to what I learned on the mountain.

The trip was very economical but I was lucky enough to get some of Bobo's hand-me-downs, extra pack, and some equipment. I still had to buy some stuff but most can be used this year. Initial cost, all in, I was probably around $1,500 or so.

I would recommend the trip to anyone and everyone that loves to hunt. It was a tough hunt and some tough terrain. It was a hunt like nothing I have experienced and while we got close to some elk, we didn't connect.

I would recommend getting in shape for that type of hunt. It can be done without it, but it sure makes it easier and gives you access to alot of areas that you would otherwise never see. Having a good pack is invaluable. Where we were, might as well leave the binoculars at home as there were few places I could see far enough to need them. Buy good boots!! Never leave your rain gear behind. Keep plenty of snacks.

And don't hit the SOS button on your sat tracker in the middle of the night when a rain storm is coming in rofl

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: SapperTitan] #7208603 06/26/18 11:20 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

+1

Doesn’t west Texas count as western hunting?

I love traveling & exploring the western US, but I’m not applying for a permit/tag BS just to be denied.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208605 06/26/18 11:27 AM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
To spend that much on applications I apply for tags in 11 states: Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Kansas, Iowa, and Texas. I haven’t put in for Idaho as of yet, they don’t have a point system and my season was full before the Idaho draw deadline. So I don’t have to spend money there unless I am unlucky in the draws.

I almost put in for California this year, but passed because there’s only 1 nonresident elk and sheep tag statewide. And the only other animals I would care to hunt there are OTC anyway. I did buy a couple lottery tags in California and Idaho.

Oregon and Washington are on my list to hunt, but are both exceedingly stingy (borderline hostile) when it comes to nonresident application fees and tag allocation.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208624 06/26/18 11:52 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Spent most of my adult life hunting Colorado and Montana, along with many other states. Nothing compares to it. Sorry guys but sitting in a blind is not hunting, it is sitting in a blind waiting and is crazy boring to me. I have done it and will do it again I assume because of the terrain involved it serves it's purpose, but getting out in the millions of acres to scout, find and harvest game is so much more rewarding. The beauty and difficulty of the mountains should be experienced by everyone at some time. Such an amazing country we live in, the diversity of terrain is spectacular especially up close.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208628 06/26/18 12:01 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I hunted N.M and Colorado from 1968 through about 2000. I don't know if it was less expensive then but it was easier because of not having a draw. At first I went with buddies of mine then the last few years with my son. Never stayed in motels always camped out. Did not always get a deer or elk but just about always saw some. I learned not to hunt what was the most scenic places but hunt the places where the game had something to eat. Such as sage brush and oak brush. I don't know what it is like at those places now but for me at least I can remember how it was. So the only advice I can give is go now because it doesn't get better. I see the changes and it only gets harder. Not the hunting part just the ability to do it.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208655 06/26/18 12:38 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
popcorn Been pushing affordable public hunting in texas since been on here.

As in thread by 7mag some people dont know what its like living on low-income budget, or dont have alien body parts.

Aa pappy said:

Thar be three types of hunters, upper middle & lower. Did the leasing when first got ta texas dont take an english major ta see the gotta pay ta play..

Was a Blessing when a WMA opened up just down the road.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7208684 06/26/18 01:12 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: RattlesnakeDan
Sorry guys but sitting in a blind is not hunting, it is sitting in a blind waiting and is crazy boring to me.

Well buck you ain't ever been to the "Texas killing fields" now have ya.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208688 06/26/18 01:17 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
As to the subject. I know guys that grew up hunting Texas that I wouldn't take anywhere hunting. They enjoy the lease the friendships etc as much as the hunting. It's a social thing as much as anything else. There ain't a dang thing wrong with it. It's just not for me. I hate. I mean hate sitting on the same piece of dirt looking at the same scenery year in and year out. why I've always loved to duck hunt. Why I do that across 2, 3 states. It's why I deer hunt on public here. It's why I love being in the mountains. It's a totally different experience. It's not for everyone. But if you want to try it. The only thing stopping you. Is you.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208696 06/26/18 01:24 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I had never really given much thought to western hunting until I was well into my 30s and some friends from my little home town invited me to go on a general tag, public land elk hunt in Wyoming.

Changed my life. I was fortunate enough to take a nice 6x6 bull on that hunt and was hooked on the mountains from that point on. There’s nothing like hunting out west/up north. Experiencing the country alone makes any trip a good one. Texas has some beautiful country and is a great state for whitetails, hogs, varmints, and exotics - but Texas does not “have it all” - either in country to see or animals to hunt. Most who experience the west one time never quit going back.

Fitzwho did a great job breaking things down on the basic ins and outs of applications, costs, etc. of taking affordable DIY hunts.

All I can add to that is to consider becoming a real student of the application game to maximize your chances of success. Learn each state’s system, they are all a little different. Knowledge is power when it comes to hunting out west, and there are still hidden gems to be found without having a pile of bonus points stacked up.
And the application game is not just a binary one where you are always relegated to OTC/general tags - especially if you hunt multiple species.

When you apply in one state, consider applying for harder-to-draw units in that state for other species. The cost to add those applications is minimal (usually under $50). The advantages are twofold: 1)you are building up bonus points in several states so you can someday draw a much better tag and 2)every once in a while you may get lucky and draw a better or even great tag without having a bunch of bonus/preference points. Remember: Most all states give everyone at least a chance to draw excellent/premium tags and those tags cost the exact same as the easy to draw tags in lower success units. With a little work, you can “have your cake and eat it too” when it comes to western hunting. I have been fortunate enough to draw 3 “Once-in-a-lifetime” tags by simply applying for them in states where I was applying anyway.
An alternate strategy is to build up bonus points in selected states and not using them until you have enough for the tag(s) you seek, while going the OTC/general route in other states. This is the way to go for the guy who wants to concentrate on one species like elk only or mule deer only.

A word about application costs: No doubt the application game can be somewhat expensive. Since most states now require you to buy a license in addition to the application fees, applying in every (or even most) states will cost somewhere between 1K-2K a year. That’s a lot. Your choices: 1)if you make it a priority and that’s hard to afford, you just have to sacrifice in other areas, 2)apply in fewer states or 3) limit your long-term applications to states that are cheaper to apply in. Word of warning:there are not many of those left and I suspect there will be none left soon. States have learned to maximize their income, especially from NR applications.

Another word on applications: many balk at the requirement many states have that you pay the entire tag fees “up front” as part of the process. Essentially, you are loaning the states the tag fees for 2-3 months, and it can add up to a lot of money. One way to tackle that is to get a “dedicated” credit card to use for your applications only. Even if you have to pay interest for those 2-3 months, the cost is not very much for such a short period of time. Another option is to use an application service. The principle is the same - you are simply paying the service a fee for using their credit to front the application fees. Many might want to consider them for their knowledge of the units across various states also.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208728 06/26/18 02:07 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
One misconception many have is that general areas are not good areas to hunt. They can be great.
Yes there are roads pretty much everywhere on the forest but many do not get used often.
Public land hunting is great in most western states. You are free to find a spot and pull in and set up camp, just not on state owned lands in Wyoming.
Applications can be confusing but in Wyoming and Colorado you can call the G&F and they bare more than happy to help with the app process.
Tags are getting more expensive, buy some preference points if you think you might want to come up to hunt.
Wyoming does not require a license buy to apply but they do charge your CC up front with the app, Colorado changed this year and had thousands more apps because the price is not charged unless you draw.

Decent camping equipment is all that is needed. We don't own horses and manage to get our elk out every year, atv or pack frame. It takes us maybe 3 trips to get out one elk.
We have reduced price licenses that allow to take doe or cows for pretty cheap if on a meat hunt. Up to 3 total elk licenses in Wyoming and 6 deer tags if you play the apps right, same on antelope.
We have grouse hunting while in the mountains and great fishing for all kinds of fish, we went walleye fishing last Saturday.
Sharing travel costs is a great way to save on .

While Texas may have it all we get to hunt grizz, bison, wolves, moose, elk, deer ,antelope, bighorn sheep, mt lion, black bear, etc... all on public land.

I encourage all to come up at least once in your lifetime to experience western and/or Wyoming hunting.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: SapperTitan] #7208755 06/26/18 02:50 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Well hell, guess we can just shut the thread down now

Sorry guys, sapper is out on learning about western hunting, guess we will just all go home

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208774 06/26/18 03:11 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
If you have never hunted the rockies for elk and mule deer you need to at least a few times. I went once then back 4 more times to the same area of Montana and bet if physically able could go back there and hunt public land and get an elk and or mule deer.

Pronghorn hunts are a lot of fun also.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208908 06/26/18 05:44 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Shhh! Just let everyone think western hunting is too hard, expensive, and they will never draw a tag!

I was just re-evaluating my long term strategy and it occurred to me that there is a lot more opportunity out there than I can take advantage of. I could hunt deer, elk and antelope every year, and hunt in a great unit every other year or so with my strategy. I hunt as much as I can get out of work, and get to see a lot more varied and interesting areas than we have here. I really don't understand why anyone would want to limit their experiences.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7208943 06/26/18 06:20 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Well hell, guess we can just shut the thread down now

Sorry guys, sapper is out on learning about western hunting, guess we will just all go home
geez let me go ahead and get a hurt feeling report filled out. It was just my opinion, sorry if I offended anyone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide