Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Too old, crippled and poor #7207015 06/24/18 02:32 PM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
As I find myself getting only older and more back issues etc. I keep thinking of what I could have done in years past as far as hunting. I still long for a elk hunts, a real elk hunt not a caged up one. I still irk for a true free range mule deer hunt.

When my body was capable I couldn't afford it. I always kept saying one of these days. I think my one of these days are gone but I can still dream up If you been there and done that you are blessed. I will watch from the sidelines and wish.

If your young and have the knick to do it, get after it. I learned only way to long ago there are many public and cheap hunts to be had outside of Texas. Kick rocks and say you did it, or at least tried.

Carry on.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207028 06/24/18 02:49 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The best advice I ever got was -

‘If you wait ‘till you can afford it, you’ll never buy it.’

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207029 06/24/18 02:49 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
wow, this is exactly me, two back surgeries and Dr. says the only chance of reliving pain is to try again

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207043 06/24/18 03:17 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Of late, I've been wondering if I should have committed to an Axis hunt this month. The price is great, but that money sure could be used on my land and rifle range.

This thread helps me not regret committing to the hunt. I'll go, and hopefully harvest a beautiful buck.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207050 06/24/18 03:29 PM
H
hawk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Yep, so true.

Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207051 06/24/18 03:29 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Love that advice.

I got started in western hunting late (mid-30s) but have tried to make up for lost time ever since.

I would advise any young hunter to go and do the hunts they want while they are still young. I certainly realize finances are a big issue for most, but there’s a heckuva a lot of hunting that can be done for reasonable cost.

OTC/General draw elk, deer, and pronghorn, some Canadian bear hunts, heck even some plains game Africa hunts will not break the bank. It’s a matter of priorities. I have never put myself in a financial bind to make a hunt, but I have made some sacrifices in other areas to do so.

It is true that you are only young once. It’s also true that tomorrow is not guaranteed. Take the hunts while you can - the memories last forever.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207061 06/24/18 03:58 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
The body can heal at any age. Look into holistic health. It takes an iron will to get your diet right but the inflammation caused from certain foods can really shut you down. Food isn't made the same as it was in the past and all the changes in our food ingredients is slowly poisoning our body. Its tough but if you can cut the foods that cause inflammation and strengthen your liver and digestive system to detox the toxins you've fed yourself in the past, your body can heal at any age. Its much cheaper in the long run. I also believe in having faith in God or at minimum a positive attitude. Holding negative emotion taxes your nervous system and our nerves are how we recharge and create energy, heal,deal with pain, motivate ourselves it goes on and on....our nerves are how our brain and body communicate. A great example is if you've ever spent a day with someone who is always mad or depressing...at the end of the day your whole body wants to shut down. Prime example of Nerves at work.

I have an 84 year old man Ive been working with whoes been living a very boring life until recently. He fell and fractured his hip and was bed ridden a few weeks. After that he was talking to his family about wanting to die cause he felt tired all the time and sick. They brought him in and we changed his diet and did acupuncture and massage for a few weeks. A month later he was out walking every morning. Now, another month later this same 84 year old man who was ready to die is jogging every morning. His Faith and Diet and therapy were game changers for him. Look into holistic health.

Last edited by Wacm; 06/24/18 03:59 PM.
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207125 06/24/18 05:17 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Originally Posted By: 7mag
As I find myself getting only older and more back issues etc. I keep thinking of what I could have done in years past as far as hunting. I still long for a elk hunts, a real elk hunt not a caged up one. I still irk for a true free range mule deer hunt.

Don't let that stop you. You can go to the northwest section of CO around the town of Craig and hunt both elk and mulies in country that is mostly rolling sagebrush and cedar ridges. Not to hard to get around and not hard to get game out. You won't kill a monster there but the herds are really healthy. Getting a cow elk there is pretty much a gimme if you don't care about antlers.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207154 06/24/18 05:56 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
cheers 7mag
Took a couple antilope, got close ta several mulies that were bedded part way up hill, bang no shots were fired, before hit texas.
Planned trip ta Colorado for elk, got with friend, plan got switched ta an elk hunt in Arizona, draw hunt, payed in, bang didnt get drawn, got money back, wish would have went on the Colorado hunt while had the money.

Still broke old & decrepit, saving for me poormans food stamp for here. Been seeing lots of deer, some turkey, & pheasent, lots of ducks & geese. Just gotta get shoulder built up so can hold rifle, gun. Archery tis out, but 60+ can use cross bow.
Would truely enjoy some more hog hunten, scratch they gots lots held up in big hog barns, nidea thought bout busten few loose rofl got hooked on it.
Not dead yet, so...
Best wishs ta all, just gotta over come & adapt.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207165 06/24/18 06:15 PM
C
CitySlickerHunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C

When my body was capable I couldn't afford it. I always kept saying one of these days. I think my one of these days are gone but I can still dream up If you been there and done that you are blessed. I will watch from the sidelines and wish.

If your young and have the knick to do it, get after it. I learned only way to long ago there are many public and cheap hunts to be had outside of Texas. Kick rocks and say you did it, or at least tried.

Carry on.
I hope/Pray your way of thinking IS incorrect. You are in far Better condition then me. And I look forward to sharing MANY more hunt camps w/ you and the little guy. Also I really think that mule deer hunt is doable SOONER then later. GOD BLESS my friend! cheers

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207178 06/24/18 06:29 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I have been very lucky with health and hunting. I have always had good health and still in pretty good shape. I have always hunted a lot and now I hunt even more than I did 30 yrs ago. I was lucky enough to manage ranches where I got to hunt every day also just not for myself as much as I would have liked. I was still able to balance work with a Mule Deer lease of my own. Been lucky enough to be to hunt Mule Deer in West Texas, Alberta and Kansas. Hunted WT all over Texas and a few years in Kansas. I am able to hunt almost every day of the WT season from archery to the end of MLD if I choose. The only bucket list hunt would be for Moose in the Yukon. These days I prefer to hunt my own place and just enjoy seeing wildlife, taking a few pics then shooting something when I like it.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207206 06/24/18 07:17 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Biggest thing that kept me from starting western hunting earlier was no one to go with.

If your not from there and don’t have any contacts going to OTC is a daunting task if you haven’t done it before.

I got with a group of guys and that made a huge difference.

Western hunting (including my trans pecos lease) is my favorite type of hunting now.

If it’s a one time shot for you...spend the money and go hunt a mule deer or elk. Budget for it and make it happen

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207247 06/24/18 08:10 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
In last 5yrs ive had more heart attacks than Fred Sanford. Ive been paddled back to life twice and in a coma for 9 days....I’ve got 3 stents, a difibulator, pacemaker and LE implants. I’m a walking, babbling wonder. My point being it has slowed me down but I still charge as hard as I can. Never will stop. I’ve been very fortunate to take many trophy whitetail and a good bull elk. Always been my dream to hunt big Canadian whitetail and working on that for next year if I can get my old fart huntin bud outta his rocking chair and my batteries on my implants keep working. If not it’s cool. Seen a lot, done a lot and whenever my creator calls me home I’m ready but I’ll go kicking and screaming.
Yes!! Make things happen while your young or you’ll regret it

Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207323 06/24/18 09:46 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Heck of a post 7mag. Thanks for the reminder.
I have some scheduling to do.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207329 06/24/18 09:54 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have been blessed to go on hunts all over the world - some of them pretty rough. Will keep going as long as I can.

To OP - there are elk hunts out there that are not canned but also not super expensive or physically challenging.

Last edited by tlk; 06/25/18 12:50 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207460 06/25/18 12:35 AM
N
nyalubwe Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
If you been there and done that you are blessed. I will watch from the sidelines and wish.

I have BTDT many, many times, I made a point of living my life that way. Now, at 66 I am down to limited spot and stalk, on relatively level ground, and loving the Texas deer stand concept!

Words cannot express how glad I am that I took the time, money and energy to have BTDT....

Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207698 06/25/18 10:34 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
7mag. I am going this year on a Colorado Elk hunt with my SIL and friends. We are going to do the DIY and that is because my SIL asked when I was going to do it. So before I can not do it I will give it my best. I too have had a back surgery, but many many years ago. I plan on enjoying the hunt and not worry about tagging. I did get a cow elk tag in the draw and that was not expected. My fear (not really) is that I will love it so much it will become another hunt location. I will say a pray for you to heal, and another one for you to get that hunt in.

Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7207768 06/25/18 12:38 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I'm 71 and hunt all I want(nearly) but I'm still the same weight(6 foot 170#) I was 50years ago. Just eat half portions and go to the gym 3-4 days a week......

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7208069 06/25/18 06:06 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I appreciate this thread.

For those of us who would like to make the jump into some western hunting (maybe Africa later), what are some good "starter" hunts?

I've been hunting Texas all my life. Would love to start some western hunts.

Pronghorn, mule deer, elk, then maybe move up to moose or bear or even sheep or mountain goat hunts.

I assume West Texas or NM pronghorn or mule deer is the lowest hanging fruit to get started? I'd like to start ticking them off. Don't mind a physical challenge at this point. I also don't mind spending a little money for a better chance at success, but I don't need any high end treatment. Just really don't know where to begin.

Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7208082 06/25/18 06:26 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Get in touch with Mulie Mike on the forum...…….

Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag] #7208119 06/25/18 07:05 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
This is why I've always told my wife; "I'm not waiting until retirement to do my bucket list hunts." If she had her way, lol I would only hunt in Texas and spend very little money doing it until retirement. I explained to her that I'm not promised tomorrow, and there are many hunts that I won't be in near the physical strength I am while middle aged. I'm about to turn 58 in August and I have no regrets because I didn't follow her advice, lol.

I will point out that thank God I recognized that eating processed meat and dairy products daily, along with no exercise will lead to a path of misery for most when they reach their mid 50's and beyond. I teach my clients take care of your health, because you can save lots of money but it won't buy you health. Eat healthy and exercise. Educate yourself on better choices for your diet.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7208124 06/25/18 07:24 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
This is why I've always told my wife; "I'm not waiting until retirement to do my bucket list hunts." If she had her way, lol I would only hunt in Texas and spend very little money doing it until retirement. I explained to her that I'm not promised tomorrow, and there are many hunts that I won't be in near the physical strength I am while middle aged. I'm about to turn 58 in August and I have no regrets because I didn't follow her advice, lol.

I will point out that thank God I recognized that eating processed meat and dairy products daily, along with no exercise will lead to a path of misery for most when they reach their mid 50's and beyond. I teach my clients take care of your health, because you can save lots of money but it won't buy you health. Eat healthy and exercise. Educate yourself on better choices for your diet.

Awesome advice....

Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: ErnestTBass] #7208236 06/25/18 09:55 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass

For those of us who would like to make the jump into some western hunting (maybe Africa later), what are some good "starter" hunts?

Pronghorn, mule deer, elk, then maybe move up to moose or bear or even sheep or mountain goat hunts.

I assume West Texas or NM pronghorn or mule deer is the lowest hanging fruit to get started? I'd like to start ticking them off. Don't mind a physical challenge at this point. I also don't mind spending a little money for a better chance at success, but I don't need any high end treatment. Just really don't know where to begin.

You are correct - antelope in NM is a very reasonable hunt and a blast. There are also some reasonable elk hunts in that state too - you can drive there to save on airfare plus Northern NM is beautiful country

You can't fix stupid
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: tlk] #7208238 06/25/18 09:59 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: tlk

You are correct - antelope in NM is a very reasonable hunt and a blast. There are also some reasonable elk hunts in that state too - you can drive there to save on airfare plus Northern NM is beautiful country

Google hunts - try United States Outfitters - http://huntuso.com - they did a good job for me - hunted the Floyd Casey ranch in NM for elk.

Also go to Dallas Safari Club in January where there are tons of outfitters. Go to Texas Trophy Extravaganza in Houston, Ft Worth or San Antonio - also many booths where you can talk directly to outfitters.

Last edited by tlk; 06/25/18 10:06 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: ErnestTBass] #7208259 06/25/18 10:35 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

WTX mule deer and antelope hunting is just slightly more physical than whitetail hunting. Elk hunting can be really physical or not physical at all, depending on how hard you want it to be. I've been on elk hunts where I killed myself and others where it was pretty easy, all things considering.

The things that killed me elk hunting were the distances I had to walk, not so much the grades.

I like a good physical hunt but if you can WALK a mile without stopping your in good enough shape to do 75% of the western hunts I would say

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide