jeffbird Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Here: http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

Read the instructions very carefully.

CMP 1911 pricing:

CMP has priced the 1911 type pistols at fair market value in accordance with CMP's enabling legislation.

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol). The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction. Note: If you have already purchased a 1911 from CMP you will not be allowed to purchase an auction 1911. If you purchase an auction 1911, your name will be pulled from the sequenced list. No repeat purchasers are allowed until all orders received have been filled.

The shipping cost is included in the price.

Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: jeffbird] #7165292 05/09/18 11:03 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I wonder how many of these Turnbull will buy and restore and triple his money???

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: Buzzsaw] #7165308 05/09/18 11:26 PM
J
jeffbird Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I wonder how many of these Turnbull will buy and restore and triple his money???

In the details, the rules limit purchases to one per person until all orders are filled.

The reality is they will be flooded with orders that will never be filled, so there is a random lottery for a person to purchase one.

So, Turnbull may be able to buy one, but not more, other than on the secondary market.

Note that a person may buy one through either the lottery or the auction, but not both.

Just guessing some of the auction prices will be brisk to breath-taking.

Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: jeffbird] #7165376 05/10/18 12:59 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I get that it’s a WW2 1911. However, $300-400 more than a brand new Ruger, kimber, Colt, Springfield, Para, Remington, or RIA really kills all of the attraction to me.

The CMP was doing d@mn good with the M1 Garand rifles. The 1911 will be sold only to a collector, that really wants a wartime piece.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: jeffbird] #7165409 05/10/18 01:36 AM
B
beech96w Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
1) They have to cover their expenses
Cleaning, inspection, storage, paperwork, answering hate mail, etc
2) All profit goes back to the shooting sports
Youth programs, CMP Games, Leg Matches, Distinguished Shooters, etc

If you have to pick and choose your charities, it's not a bad one to support.

Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7165410 05/10/18 01:37 AM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
You haven't priced a USGI 1911 lately have you? Using the Service grade as an example, that's $500 bellow going market rate for just a run of the mill service grade common Remington Rand. Now if the pistol is nice (and many service grade Garands I have received from the CMP have been exceptional) or say it is an early war gun or a desirable maker - that could easily be bellow 1/2th the actual value of the pistol. I've not been paying attention to what they are doing as my collecting interest lie elsewhere now and maybe they plan to auction off all the more desirable 1911's but still, a person stands to get a pretty good deal there. You can't walk into any gunshow or gunshop in the country and buy a USGI 1911 for $1000 anymore. Unless you are talking one of the recent Colt M45A1's that made it to the market after Marine use, no pistol you mention will have any sort of history or provenance to it like a USGI 1911.

Earl

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
I get that it’s a WW2 1911. However, $300-400 more than a brand new Ruger, kimber, Colt, Springfield, Para, Remington, or RIA really kills all of the attraction to me.

The CMP was doing d@mn good with the M1 Garand rifles. The 1911 will be sold only to a collector, that really wants a wartime piece.

Last edited by Earl; 05/10/18 01:39 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: Earl] #7165860 05/10/18 04:05 PM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Earl
You haven't priced a USGI 1911 lately have you? Using the Service grade as an example, that's $500 bellow going market rate for just a run of the mill service grade common Remington Rand. Now if the pistol is nice (and many service grade Garands I have received from the CMP have been exceptional) or say it is an early war gun or a desirable maker - that could easily be bellow 1/2th the actual value of the pistol. I've not been paying attention to what they are doing as my collecting interest lie elsewhere now and maybe they plan to auction off all the more desirable 1911's but still, a person stands to get a pretty good deal there. You can't walk into any gunshow or gunshop in the country and buy a USGI 1911 for $1000 anymore. Unless you are talking one of the recent Colt M45A1's that made it to the market after Marine use, no pistol you mention will have any sort of history or provenance to it like a USGI 1911.

Earl

You’re missing my point. Nobody is making M1 Garands, 03 Springfield’s , enfields, etc anymore. CMP does a great job at actually fitting those rifles (much better than Billy Bob that’s sitting in his garage with a bucket of parts) and the price is extremely reasonable.

Everybody and their dog is making a 1911 now. Did they see wartime use? Obviously not. Are they new, cheaper, better fit, have decent sights, better safeties, and come with any other features you want? Yes.

That’s why I say they’ll sell plenty to collectors. But then again, there are a lot of gun owners out there that aren’t really shooters.

Last edited by Tactical Cowboy; 05/10/18 04:19 PM.

Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: jeffbird] #7166016 05/10/18 07:13 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
That pricing is lower than I anticipated. I doubt they would have any issue selling them at 1.5 times those prices if they wanted to.

Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7166192 05/10/18 09:41 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

Earl

You’re missing my point. Nobody is making M1 Garands, 03 Springfield’s , enfields, etc anymore. CMP does a great job at actually fitting those rifles (much better than Billy Bob that’s sitting in his garage with a bucket of parts) and the price is extremely reasonable.

Everybody and their dog is making a 1911 now. Did they see wartime use? Obviously not. Are they new, cheaper, better fit, have decent sights, better safeties, and come with any other features you want? Yes.

That’s why I say they’ll sell plenty to collectors. But then again, there are a lot of gun owners out there that aren’t really shooters.

I agree......to each their own. I would rather purchase a Colt government model 70's series made during that decade that's never been shot with the original box. One of my favorites to shoot in 9mm. But I shoot what ever I collect.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7166508 05/11/18 02:05 AM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Yep it depends on what floats an individuals boat. Everyone may be making 1911's these days but no one other than the few Kimber Special Ops and the 5000 or so Colt M45A1's have made US armed forces issued 1911's in 73 years. These represent the first USGI '45's to be released on the market in 50 years not counting the ones I just mentioned. They have a historical value that no other 1911 has. No, they are not better functionally in any way from the Springfield Armory TRP or Colt Series 70 CCO Gunsite that I own and paid about the same amount for. But the CMP sold USGI 1911s have a historical and collector appeal that my more recent 1911's never will. The other big plus for them. If a person doesn't really know their USGI 1911's, they can really be taken to the cleaners in the secondary market between aftermarket frames, refinished guns, incorrect parts, etc...the CMP guns offer a chance to obtain a genuine certified USGI 1911 that while it definitely probably has gone thru one or more government arsenal reworks at least you know Billy Bob wasn't doing crap to it in his garage.

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Earl

I agree......to each their own. I would rather purchase a Colt government model 70's series made during that decade that's never been shot with the original box. One of my favorites to shoot in 9mm. But I shoot what ever I collect.

Last edited by Earl; 05/11/18 02:08 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: jeffbird] #7166871 05/11/18 02:42 PM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
IMO, overpriced relics...

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: jeffbird] #7166872 05/11/18 02:44 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Not worth the hoops you have to jump through.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: jeffbird] #7166963 05/11/18 04:01 PM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I'm totally interested and getting one.

You'll never justify price for something like this which by that makes monetary evaluation. A very subjective thing.
Of course u can't compare a new to one of these. But that not what the price truly reflects.

I've always had this romantic longing, sense I missed out of coming from a family tradition of shooting. Getting something like that fulfills some of that longing because if i did get one that then I'd view it as I paid so much for the physical weapon itself and the rest I willing pay because it satisfies some intristic gun desires I have.

Only question left for me is which grade.

Btw, to those who argue you can get cheaper 1911's on the open market and therefore it's over priced. Then it's equally valid to say there are more expensive so now its underpriced.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: Korean Redneck] #7167139 05/11/18 07:04 PM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck

You'll never justify price for something like this which by that makes monetary evaluation. A very subjective thing.
Of course u can't compare a new to one of these. But that not what the price truly reflects.

I've always had this romantic longing, sense I missed out of coming from a family tradition of shooting. Getting something like that fulfills some of that longing because if i did get one that then I'd view it as I paid so much for the physical weapon itself and the rest I willing pay because it satisfies some intristic gun desires I have.

Btw, to those who argue you can get cheaper 1911's on the open market and therefore it's over priced. Then it's equally valid to say there are more expensive so now its underpriced.

Service grade.

Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: jeffbird] #7168698 05/13/18 09:41 PM
K
kelvinator Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
K
So, the description for field and service grade is the same?

Kelvinator
Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: jeffbird] #7169053 05/14/18 04:45 AM
N
nsmike Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I wonder what the Ithaca 1911 that was in my armsroom at Ft Hood would be worth. All matching numbers tight and nicely parkerized. I'm sure something like that would be auction grade.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7169561 05/14/18 05:55 PM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Agreed, that's the one you want and the one that will likely sell out first as was the case the carbines and garands.

As one that has collected DCM/CMP carbines and garands - there will be an immediate market for these and I mean immediate. A lot of people don't want to go thru the CMP requirements and take their chance on the luck of the draw. But they want the certificate and to be able to see what they are getting. Buying in person at CMP and buying 2nd hand are the only way to do that. People could get multiples on the M1s, not the case with the 1911s so when they sell them they will go for more. So expect the $1000 service grades to go at a minimum of $1500-2000 on the secondary market. Earl

Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck

Service grade.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: Earl] #7170965 05/16/18 12:53 AM
Reloder28 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

Earl

Yeah. Earl is a little over-zealous.

[b][/b]
Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: Reloder28] #7170968 05/16/18 12:55 AM
B
beech96w Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Reloder28

Yeah. Earl is a little over-zealous.

But he is right.

Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: jeffbird] #7171153 05/16/18 04:51 AM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Over Zealous? LMAO smile Last year I bought one of Global War on Terror USMC issued Colt 1911 M45A1's When they were on Gunbroker for $1300. I posted them here, don't know if anyone else followed me on getting one. I wish I had bought more than one. I have recently gotten into S&W revolvers so sold some things to allow me to get those. The M45A1 was one of them. I sold it for $3500. I heard this week they are bringing $5k now.

Trust me, the CMP 1911 USGI guns will be not only a piece of history, something you can shoot - but also a good investment. 100 years from now thanks to the genius of John Moses Browning they will probably still be making 1911's - but there will never be anymore WW2 manufactured USGI guns.

Earl

Last edited by Earl; 05/16/18 04:59 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: Earl] #7171274 05/16/18 01:39 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Over Zealous? LMAO smile Last year I bought one of Global War on Terror USMC issued Colt 1911 M45A1's When they were on Gunbroker for $1300. I posted them here, don't know if anyone else followed me on getting one. I wish I had bought more than one. I have recently gotten into S&W revolvers so sold some things to allow me to get those. The M45A1 was one of them. I sold it for $3500. I heard this week they are bringing $5k now.

Trust me, the CMP 1911 USGI guns will be not only a piece of history, something you can shoot - but also a good investment. 100 years from now thanks to the genius of John Moses Browning they will probably still be making 1911's - but there will never be anymore WW2 manufactured USGI guns.

Earl
Never heard of those pistols. Just looked up some info on them and that's pretty freaking awesome.

Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: jeffbird] #7172057 05/17/18 12:59 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I am going to send in my packet. I would love to own one of these.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #7172252 05/17/18 04:18 PM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I hadn't planned to but this thread got me to go over to the CMP forum and check out the requirements...I'll take the luck of the draw too. Speaking of Garands and Carbines I've never seen a service grade weapon go out that I didn't like so I'm sure the same will be true of the 1911s. They most likely won't be very original and will have gone thru a lot of arsenal reworks, plus the CMP Armorer's inspect and replace anything that needs replacing - still at least I will know Bubba the Love Sponge didn't get his mitts on it and do something to it. That said, you never know. I've owned many WW2 DCM/CMP Garands that had their original barrel and appeared to be largely original.

Earl

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
I am going to send in my packet. I would love to own one of these.

Last edited by Earl; 05/17/18 04:19 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: jeffbird] #7189566 06/05/18 10:49 PM
C
Claysshotgunner Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Congress only authorized the CMP to sell up to 10,000 this first year. SO it will be a restricted second hand market.

Producing low cost doodle videos for small business advertising on Facebook and elsewhere
Re: CMP 1911 Ordering Info Posted [Re: Claysshotgunner] #7190836 06/07/18 04:14 AM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I think (could be wrong here) that the authorization is for up to 10,000 per year but this year they are only releasing 8000. They have not yet said how many will be released next year - or at least hadn't as of the last time I looked. I know the forms are available as of this week I believe, I need to go look and get my packet together. If I remember right they don't take the packets until September then have a lottery in October to determine if you are one of the lucky 8000 and where you fall in the selection. Have had more important stuff to deal with this week (first week back to work this year) woohoo.

Originally Posted By: Claysshotgunner
Congress only authorized the CMP to sell up to 10,000 this first year. SO it will be a restricted second hand market.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide