Positive Gun Dog training #7139288 04/12/18 05:39 PM
J
jmw2018 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Hi,

I have a 16 week old English Cocker. I am looking for someone in Texas who uses the positive training method (or close to it). I have found a few in states nearby but wanted to check in Texas before making a decision. Thanks!

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: jmw2018] #7163541 05/08/18 05:50 AM
C
Cliff & Cactus Outfitters Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Curious to learn more about this. The only one I can find is the academy in Colorado. As cool as it sounds it must be the most expensive training option out there... Wish Texas had some options.

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: jmw2018] #7163796 05/08/18 03:16 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Why?

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: jmw2018] #7164137 05/08/18 08:54 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Robert Milner also teaches with a similar method at Wild Rose kennels which has it's roots in British training methods. Also look into Maurice Lindley, Steady with Style, who also has a similar method.

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: mattyg06] #7164838 05/09/18 02:52 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: mattyg06
Robert Milner also teaches with a similar method at Wild Rose kennels which has it's roots in British training methods. Also look into Maurice Lindley, Steady with Style, who also has a similar method.

Mo's methods are not 100% positive, but I sure like the way he trains.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: kindall] #7165005 05/09/18 05:50 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Most effective training uses both positive and negative, the mix (balance) used depends on the dog. 100% positive does not even make sense, that would mean never correcting your dog, or even teaching the word “no”.

I guess what you guys mean is no ecollar?

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: Guy] #7165316 05/09/18 11:39 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Guy
Most effective training uses both positive and negative, the mix (balance) used depends on the dog. 100% positive does not even make sense, that would mean never correcting your dog, or even teaching the word “no”.

Maybe thats what they are after.
But I know Mo uses ecollars, and also FF dogs.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: jmw2018] #7165569 05/10/18 11:59 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I don't understand what "the positive training method" means?

It was going to send my dog to a trainer I would look for a trainer that was "fair".

It doesn't matter if you use a collar or not every training method should use both positive and negative techniques.

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: Guy] #7165940 05/10/18 05:56 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Guy

Sounds like you described society and school to me!

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: jmw2018] #7165947 05/10/18 06:09 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’m 100% positive with mine. 100% positive they will whoa every time if they’re wearing a shock collar.

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: scalebuster] #7165966 05/10/18 06:28 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I’m 100% positive with mine. 100% positive they will whoa every time if they’re wearing a shock collar.

clap

My Brittany seems to hear a helluva lot better with her hearing aid... I mean e-collar on.

There are lots of folks that don't know what they're doing with them tho. Burnin a dog that doesn't understand WTH is going on. realmad

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: LarryCopper] #7166112 05/10/18 08:35 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
There is also a lot of pro trainers out there that use too much force on their dogs. Some dogs deal with it just fine, some dogs deal with it not so good (they have terrified look on their face on a sit whistle), and some dogs can’t deal with it at all. The later the trainer says the dog is no good, can’t hunt, only good for a pet. I don’t buy that.

I use force on my dog, but I also read my dog, and I want that tail wagging on a sit whistle.

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: jmw2018] #7166172 05/10/18 09:24 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have a good friend who told me he was going to use positive training on his GSP. He used treats and a clicker. The dog learned quick but he never proofed things. He carries a leash hunting. When he is ready to go to the truck, if his dog is not ready, he has to drag his a$$ back. The dog is happier with the outcome than my buddy.

IMO a solid combination of positive teaching and behavior altering corrections when necessary yield the best results.

You own what you condone.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 05/10/18 09:28 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: jmw2018] #7166500 05/11/18 02:02 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Just finished FF a day or two before this video. You can tell she's super scared and is having no fun at all.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 05/11/18 02:05 AM.

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: jmw2018] #7166502 05/11/18 02:03 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This is a short 17 second video of my girl Molly you may find humorous.

This was 2012, she passed 2015 btw. She was 7 years old at the time, duck youth season out west, her first hunt of the season. We got to motel late Friday night, I pulled ecollar out to charge it up and Molly right there "strap that baby on lets go!". I thought it was funny so I snap a quick video. But this is what you want, dog confident they are in control, ecollor means fun, perform commands quickly and swiftly, no corrections and all fun.

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: jmw2018] #7167335 05/11/18 10:17 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I used nearly 100% "positive" training methods be it operant conditioning, behavior shaping, positive reinforcement, clicker training, etc. on my current dog and on my second Vizsla doing so. I have used other training methods with a few other hunting dogs in my life and greatly prefer how I do it now. I do think a combination is best depending on the individual dog. I don't think your going to find a local hunting gun dog trainer focusing entirely on "positive" training methods or even having a full understanding of it. If your serious, I would contact someone like Chad Hines Willow Creek kennels in Minnesota who trains this way. At least two siblings to my dog have spent time there. They have some great instructional youtube videos online if you choose to do your own training. You truly miss out by not doing your own training IMHO.

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: Guy] #7170764 05/15/18 09:29 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Guy

This was 2012, she passed 2015 btw. She was 7 years old at the time, duck youth season out west, her first hunt of the season. We got to motel late Friday night, I pulled ecollar out to charge it up and Molly right there "strap that baby on lets go!". I thought it was funny so I snap a quick video. But this is what you want, dog confident they are in control, ecollor means fun, perform commands quickly and swiftly, no corrections and all fun.

That's how my girl acts. My yellow lab, Ruby, wore an e-collar since she was 10 weeks old. I put it on her every time we did something fun and in the field. She wore it for close to 6 full months before it was ever turned on and used on her. Now when I get the e-collar out she comes running because she knows it means fun.

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: mattyg06] #7170912 05/16/18 12:11 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by mattyg06
Originally Posted by Guy

That's how my girl acts. My yellow lab, Ruby, wore an e-collar since she was 10 weeks old. I put it on her every time we did something fun and in the field. She wore it for close to 6 full months before it was ever turned on and used on her. Now when I get the e-collar out she comes running because she knows it means fun.

All of mine get fired up when they see the collar and can’t wait to get it on, except for my little soft dog Lucy. She never wears one and will mind at a word. She needed it to get her to honor another dog and wants no part of it. She never busted a bird this year and won’t work with harsh training.
My top dog Kate wore one all season but I don’t remember juicing her all year. It’s amazing how much better she can hear with it on. She’s smart and would probably work fine without one but I like an immediate response. She’s much slower to mind without the collar on when she’s running on the pasture at my house.
My Shorthair Bonnie gets the electricity on a regular basis. She is young and if you want her to listen a mild stimulation beats the hell out of telling her repeatedly. Every dog is different and you and your hunting partners will be much happier if you’re not constantly hollering and repeating commands. You’ll enjoy your days in the field or blind much more if you have the option of a shock collar. A lot of great dogs would wash out if it weren’t for good collars. I remember the days before we had good collars and having to beat the sht out of hard heads to get them to mind. The collar is the only way to go for most dogs and fixes problems quickly. I use a hands on approach to train a pup but once they know a command they should obey it the first time. Anyhow that’s my book report on negative reinforcement.

Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: mattyg06] #7174094 05/19/18 02:53 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by mattyg06
Originally Posted by Guy

My lab is the same way. He gets excited when I pull it out and behaves slightly better (he does really well without it when playing fetch in the backyard, too).

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Positive Gun Dog training [Re: jmw2018] #7181018 05/27/18 10:48 AM
USscott Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Many of you posting here need to realize there is a huge difference in the spaniel breeds in and of themselves. You would NOT approach training an English Cocker Spaniel the same way you would a Brittany
or a Boykin. Whole different process. Add to that... seeking out a positive methodology or aversive approach
is highly dependent upon the individual student in the case of spaniels. This is a breed that requires a WHOLE lot of experience gathered over years. As such there are only 2-3 nation wide that truly specializes in this breed. It is in the best interest of the canine to go to one of these programs and not be limited to just Texas.

Conservation is using a well trained retriever.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide