Print Thread
PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol #7163290 05/08/18 12:17 AM
J
jeffbird Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Putting this up for general information and a reminder for those with CHL/LTC's, or our guests visiting from other states.

The protocol below is straight from the Texas DPS license to carry instructor's course outline.

The Texas DPS troopers are trained this is what is taught to LTC licensees, so everyone on both sides should be following the same protocol.

Local department officers should know it, but may not. It is a series of steps that should help their mindset to some degree.

Follow this protocol and they know what to expect, so follow this protocol.

Deviate from this protocol, and the warning flags are going to go up in their minds.

A. Have your driver license and LTC immediately accessible 
B. Do not make quick movements, especially when the officer is present or approaching 
C. Have your hands visible on top of the steering wheel as much as possible 
D. If at night, turn dome light on and roll down windows
E. Open all windows so the officer can see in back and other seat
F. Engine off

Most importantly, do not get out of the car unless asked to do so. Then keep hands in plain sight towards the officer.

DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR OR ATTEMPT TO GET OUT OF THE CAR UNLESS REQUESTED TO DO SO!!!!

They are authorized to disarm and take control of the pistol during the stop, and then return it before departing.

Here are some examples of how fast things can turn to SHTF for the cop.

Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: jeffbird] #7163304 05/08/18 12:27 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
That's funny. Last time I got pulled over, the officer told me I made him nervous because I kept both hands on the steering wheel.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: jeffbird] #7163342 05/08/18 01:14 AM
E
Earl Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
I give them both drivers license and the LTC then do whatever they want. Last year I was in an accident where my poor truck was damaged front and rear and was no longer drivable. It had to be towed off. Seeing as how the other drivers in my family were with me there was no one to come and get us. The officer gave us a ride after removing my carry weapon, unloading it and taking possession of it while he drove us where we needed. When we got there he gave me my guns back (I had another gun in the truck too) - he even loaded my carry piece, holstered it and handed it back.

Earl

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: jeffbird] #7163390 05/08/18 01:46 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hazards on, as soon as I see warning lights. D.L. and LTC out of the console, then out of the waller it he has not made it to my truck bed yet. If he has, wallet in right hand, left hand on the door, with the window down. Remove both licenses where he can still see both hands. Still have to get insirance out. "I have to reach into the console to get it". "Go ahead". Hand him that.

I usually hear "are you carrying?" Or "do you have your weapon". "Yessir, there is one in a holster on my belt, and one in the door next to me". Then I usually hear, "good, leave them there, and everything will be fine".

I freely admit, they are all probably more at ease with me/us seeing the IAFF sticker on the back of the truck, and that is the major reason it is there, as far as I am concerned.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: jeffbird] #7163462 05/08/18 02:39 AM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I haven't been pulled over since I got my LTC (looking for wood to knock on). My routine hasn't changed though, roll down windows, turn off ignition and put keys on dash visible to the offficer as he/she walks up, turn on dome light, leave hands visible. I don't reach for my wallet (licenses) or insurance until I'm instructed or asked to do so. I will however, notify that I am carrying, notify the officer that I am carrying and where it's located, which is very near where my wallet is.

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7163467 05/08/18 02:43 AM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
That's funny. Last time I got pulled over, the officer told me I made him nervous because I kept both hands on the steering wheel.

I've had that happen once too. Made me laugh and he immediately laughed. Told him it was my first time being pulled over while carrying and thoght it was what I supposed to to do. He something like, the heck of I know. Just asked for my info and nothing else. On the interstate somewhere, state trooper I guess.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: jeffbird] #7163512 05/08/18 03:47 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I’m not turning my vehicle off.

Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: SapperTitan] #7163518 05/08/18 03:58 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

Just curious but why not?

[Linked Image]
Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: Bee'z] #7163609 05/08/18 11:54 AM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: 2Beez

Now that I think about it, never did that for any traffic stop. Didn't know that was actually part of the protocol.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: Korean Redneck] #7163774 05/08/18 02:58 PM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck

Now that I think about it, never did that for any traffic stop. Didn't know that was actually part of the protocol.

The idea, as it was explained to me, was to let the officer know, before he approaches my vehicle, that I am not a threat and have no intentions of not cooperating with him. You see by the videos above that they have no idea what or who they are walking up to at each and every traffic stop and a routine traffic stop can turn deadly in a split second. By turning off the ignition, I am letting him know that I am not going anywhere. Following this procedure has helped me get some leniency from the officer on a few traffic stops.

Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: jeffbird] #7163805 05/08/18 03:20 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Haven't been pulled over in several years (no ticket since 2003) and not since I got my LTC, but that is the protocol I follow. Last three stops all resulted in warnings but I was only going 7, 6, and 4 over. The 7 was bogus, IMO, fastest I read was 73 during my approach to his location and it was all uphill (cruise was set on 73-4). When he pulled out and hit the lights I assumed he was pulling the semi over that had passed him going the other way. Oh well, still a warning and he was polite.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7163869 05/08/18 04:03 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

cop was a good judge of character up

Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: SapperTitan] #7163871 05/08/18 04:05 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Police chase down I35 , near Killeen bolt

Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7163906 05/08/18 04:33 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

Because you have intimidating camouflage arms

Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: jeffbird] #7163928 05/08/18 04:50 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
If I'm in the 7.3, I shut the engine down otherwise we wouldn't be able to hear one another. My truck or the jeep its case by case, too hot, kids with me, etc will determine if I shut the engine down.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: jeffbird] #7164440 05/09/18 12:53 AM
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
I wouldn't turn my motor off either unless instructed to do so, and then if it was hot I might ask y

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: jeffbird] #7164475 05/09/18 01:21 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
If they tell ya to turn it off, your gonna turn it off lol. Or you will be standing out in the heat.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: jeffbird] #7164476 05/09/18 01:22 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
I cannot even count the number of warnings that I have gotten (instead of tickets) by being polite and cooperative. Seriously.......Roadside is not the place to try to litigate right and wrong. Save it for the courtroom. But then, I have never been treated unfairly on a traffic stop.

My engine always gets shut down to show that I'm not planning to rabbit. It takes about 1.5 seconds to start it and get into gear......

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: Bee'z] #7164483 05/09/18 01:28 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

no reason to.

I do the same thing every time. Put blinker on pull off the road where it’s safe for me and cop. Put truck in park, till all windows down, some lights if night. Then I sit there till he approaches. If he ask for license and registration I pull out license and LTC and let him know if I am or am not carrying then grab ins card. Never had any issues and cops have always been calm and so have I.

Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: Buzzsaw] #7164502 05/09/18 01:40 AM
I
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

cop was a good judge of character up

roflmao good ol buzz.

Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: jeffbird] #7164504 05/09/18 01:40 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
DL, LTC and Ins Card are in hand before they ever approach the window.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: Brother in-law] #7164506 05/09/18 01:41 AM
I
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

Because you have intimidating camouflage arms

My arms are TAF.

Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: SapperTitan] #7164565 05/09/18 02:48 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler

no reason to.

I do the same thing every time. Put blinker on pull off the road where it’s safe for me and cop. Put truck in park, till all windows down, some lights if night. Then I sit there till he approaches. If he ask for license and registration I pull out license and LTC and let him know if I am or am not carrying then grab ins card. Never had any issues and cops have always been calm and so have I.

Only difference in my procedure and yours is I will turn the truck off. I was only curious. I typically have radar running so I know I am getting pulled over and will pull everything out while pulling over. Also pull over quite a ways in the ditch and angle the truck left so he can scan while he walks up. I have never had any issue either.

[Linked Image]
Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: Bee'z] #7164600 05/09/18 03:15 AM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

no reason to.

Only difference in my procedure and yours is I will turn the truck off. I was only curious. I typically have radar running so I know I am getting pulled over and will pull everything out while pulling over. Also pull over quite a ways in the ditch and angle the truck left so he can scan while he walks up. I have never had any issue either.

I've had friends that are cops tell me that if they see the driver fishing around for something, they think the worst so best to sit still until they ask you for something then before reaching, let them know where you are reaching and what for. Like, wallet in back pocket, insurance in glovebox.

Re: PSA - LTC Traffic Stop TxDPS Protocol [Re: jeffbird] #7164607 05/09/18 03:21 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
There is no fishing for a damn thing once the truck is stopped. BIL laughed at me but I know when the radar goes off if I am getting pulled over or not. Everything they could ask for is in hand when they get to the window. I knew what I was doing. YMMV though.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide