New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance #7155279 04/30/18 03:47 AM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Hello All,

I am 38 year old black male and currently live in Houston Texas. I recently getting into hunting deer, mainly from watching alot of Outdoor and Sportsman channel and working in a chemical plant. It seems like everyone I work with hunts for deer every year and I would like to go hunting as well and harvest a deer and bring some meat to family members for our first time eating deer meat. Also, this can be my hobby as life continues on.

My cousin and I are planning a guided hunt this year or next year. Right now, we are just trying to practice shooting so we get comfortable with our aim and we do not hurt/suffer the deer and get a good reliable shot.

Well, I am not sure where to start, so I figure I start with a rifle and purchased this https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii.

Q1. Do you recommend hunting deer in Texas with AR-15? If not, what rifle you recommend for me? Most guys I talk to state a 30-06 will work well for me.
Q2. What scope do you use with AR-15?
Q3. How do I practice my aiming? I go to an outdoor shooting range in Houston where I target shoot from 50 to 300 yards. http://www.amshootcenters.com I can go to 600 yards, but I have qualify for that range.
Q4. Can you recommend a rifle stand? I was using that bean bags attached, but I want have that stand when shooting deer. https://www.amazon.com/CVLIFE-Inches-Tac...K1KGFYBHSQGHPXD
Q5. Should I continue practicing with the front sights or buy a scope and starting practicing with scope at different ranges?

So far I learned how to clean the rifle. And also went shooting today at 50 yards range with just the front sights. My aim sucks. I was sitting on a bench with some bean bags to hold the rifle still. It was fun. I figure I might as well get use to the sights. i will go up to 100 yards after I master 50 yards with the front sights.

I am sure these questions are easy for some, but I am just starting out and never hunted before or really shot alot with rifles. I have took a safety training course. I am not in a rush, I am sure I have alot to learn, just have to be patient and enjoy the process.

Thank you all for the time.

http://prntscr.com/jbthca

http://prntscr.com/jbthpr

http://prntscr.com/jbthv8

Last edited by Goodo Texas Boy; 04/30/18 03:55 AM.
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155348 04/30/18 12:08 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
welcome

You can hunt deer with the AR15. It would not be the first rifle that comes to mind, but it is doable. I have several that I mainly use on hogs but deer as well. For first time rifle shooting, it would be easier on you with a bolt action rifle and scope. This type of set up is easier to learn to shoot accurately at 100 yards.

If you decide to get this setup I would recommend a Tikka rifle with a decent scope in the 2-12x44 power range. There are many adequate calibers for deer. If you want a caliber that covers most big game in the US 30.06 would be a good fit. 270 is my favorite for starting out. Shooting 130 grain bullets would be great for white tail without a lot of recoil to get used to.

The problem with your AR is its difficult to mount a scope on that version that would give you a good scope height and cheek weld on the stock. These requirements are real important to make things easier to learn so you are proficient at 100 yard shots. Also the .223 caliber is very capable of killing a deer, but your room for error for lethal shots is smaller because of the smaller caliber limitations.

You are also trying to learn to shoot with a mil spec trigger in the AR. That is much more difficult to shoot accurately at distances past 50 yards. I recommend a drop in trigger like a CMC. You will find it much easier to shoot accurately with a trigger change.

Ask the rifle range that you shoot at if they have any shooting instruction that they offer. This could be of great help to you leaning the basics. Also, YouTube has lots of great instructional videos on proper shooting technique and how to hunt just about any animal your interested in. Going on guided hunts is a great way to start once you learn gun safety and how to confidently shoot what your aiming at.

Good luck and have fun. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155360 04/30/18 12:21 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
You might check with the NRA for some training on the shooting aspects. http://www.nrainstructors.org/search.aspx There are instructors all over the state that can help you learn to shoot your rifle and to shoot it better.

Welcome to the family and have FUN!

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155374 04/30/18 12:42 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
If you were born on or after 09-02-1971, you will need to take a hunter education course:

Hunter Education

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155403 04/30/18 01:14 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I echo what PP said.
I believe you will find a bolt action rifle much easier to be accurate with. There are lots of good bolt action rifles and quality scopes on the market today that won’t break the bank. I also believe you would benefit from a larger caliber (.243, 7mm-08, .270, .30-06, etc.).

Learning the basics of proper shooting form is paramount, just as it is in anything else. A good foundation makes everything else come easier while a poor foundation makes everything harder than it needs to be.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155425 04/30/18 01:53 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Step 1- Get a Tikka .30/06, with a nice Leupold or Nikon scope (3-9)
Step 2- Go to out door range & practice this Summer with knowledgeable guys to help
Step 3- Take some guided hunts this Fall for deer
Step 4- Enjoy your hunting success & tasty deer meat

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155431 04/30/18 01:55 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
welcome ta texasHF.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155445 04/30/18 02:08 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
welcome

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155537 04/30/18 03:48 PM
D
deerfeeder Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D

Last edited by deerfeeder; 04/30/18 03:50 PM.
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: maximus_flavius] #7155550 04/30/18 03:59 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Step 1- Get a Tikka .30/06, with a nice Leupold or Nikon scope (3-9)
Step 2- Go to out door range & practice this Summer with knowledgeable guys to help
Step 3- Take some guided hunts this Fall for deer
Step 4- Enjoy your hunting success & tasty deer meat

Thank you for response . Great steps.

So everyone here recommends higher caliber rifle then AR15. And some riflexibility training. Ok I will start looking for training class so I get the basics right.

What does 3-9 mean?

If I buy a scope for AR15, can I use it on the .30/06?

Thanks

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155584 04/30/18 04:26 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
welcome

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7155588 04/30/18 04:30 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
The problem with your AR is its difficult to mount a scope on that version that would give you a good scope height and cheek weld on the stock.

Thank you very much for the good advice.

A few questions please:

1. What does cheek weld mean?
2. Can the .556 caliber with AR-15 take down a deer too?

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155613 04/30/18 04:58 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
When discussing scopes, they are identified by a series numbers. The first set of numbers is the magnification. A 3-9x40 is a very common hunting scope. It has a variable magnification of 3 to 9 power, meaning at the low end, it magnifies things three times, and cranked all the way up, it is magnifying the image nine times. Something in this range works very well for hunting as 3x is low enough for up close shots, and you can get out there pretty far with 9x. 2-7 or 4-12 would also be good choices.

The second number is the size of the forward lens, in millimeters. A 40mm lens is the most common. Bigger lenses let in more light, creating a brighter image in the scope. However, they are also physically bigger and bulkier making them more difficult to mount and creating the illusion of more arc in your bullet trajectory. Bigger is also more expensive. 40mm is a good compromise.

You can get one scope and use it on both your AR and a bolt rifle. However, it is a pain as you have to re-sight it every time you move it. Most people buy a scope for each rifle so they don't have to fool with re-sighting all the time.

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155662 04/30/18 06:06 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Goodo Texas Boy
What does 3-9 mean?

If I buy a scope for AR15, can I use it on the .30/06?

Thanks

3-9 refers to a variable power scope as opposed to a fixed power scope. For example, in a 3-9x40 scope, the 3 means three power, or 3x. This means that the image you see through the scope appears three times (3x) closer than it does with your naked eye. The 9 means nine power, or nine times (9x) closer than it appears with your naked eye. The forty (40) is the objective lens (closest to the muzzle) diameter in millimeters.

Barring some specifics, in general terms a scope for an AR will also work with a 30-06.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155794 04/30/18 08:46 PM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
My first suggestion would be to buddy up with someone that has hunting experience and start picking his brain. If that person gives you a hard time about asking what to him would be simple questions then find another buddy. Secondly, if you are financially challenged like I am then I would look at something other than a Tikka- never owned one and never shot one and not knocking them but I do know they are expensive. You can get a very reasonably priced Savage or Remington in .270, .308, or 30-.06 to fit your beginning needs. Top with a quality 3-9x40 scope and start practicing. I have been shooting a Savage Model 110 in 30-.06 for close to 40 years and has never let me down. If you stick to the three calibers I mentioned you can generally find them in any mom and pop, middle-of-nowhere store if you get in a bind for ammo.

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155880 04/30/18 10:33 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Goodo Texas Boy
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
The problem with your AR is its difficult to mount a scope on that version that would give you a good scope height and cheek weld on the stock.

Thank you very much for the good advice.

A few questions please:

1. What does cheek weld mean?
2. Can the .556 caliber with AR-15 take down a deer too?

The cheek weld is the part of the rifle stock that your cheek lines up with to properly align your dominant eye through the rifle scope. That's the problem with most AR's, the stock has no place for a cheek weld, like a stock on a bolt gun has. You will find out what I mean if you put a scope on it that's designed for deer hunting. You can add a different stock to your AR that will give better cheek alignment than the one you have on it now.

Yes, a .556 will kill a deer, you just have to be very accurate with your shot, just like the .223. You can use the same scope on both rifles. You will find it difficult to change from one to the other because the point of impact will be quite different from one rifle to the other.

As mentioned above, there are lower cost rifles in bolt action like Savage, Ruger and Remington that would hunt deer just fine for about $300-400 less than a Tikka would cost you. I believe in crying once for lifetime purchases and spending a little more for a great factory trigger and bolt. Once you determine your budget, go to each section of this website to get opinions on best rifle in the rifle section, scope in the scope section etc... and you will be able to make an informed decision about what you need and purchase.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 04/30/18 10:44 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155889 04/30/18 10:47 PM
E
el_cazador713 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Welcome and great advice so far. I'd definitely go with a bolt action rifle with a quality 3-9 or 4-12 scope. Your budget will determine exact options for each. While I love a 30-06 I would lean more towards a short action cartridge like a 6.5 creedmoor or 7-08. Both will handle all the medium game hunts and are perfect deer rifles. Once you get more time under your belt and want to hunt bigger game then step up to a larger caliber better suited for those animals such as a 7 RM or 300 WM. I'm in Houston so feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any other questions.

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7155896 04/30/18 10:57 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Ask one of your buddies at the plant or range to help you. You can’t learn to hunt and shoot on the internet. Im busy and don’t have a lot of time when I go to the range but will always help someone if they ask. I believe most shooters are the same way. I would also recommend buying a 22 rifle and learn to shoot with it, like most people did that grew up hunting.

Have your buddy demonstrate how to properly use the rifle. If he can’t hit what he aims at on the range every time move on to a new buddy until you find one that can shoot and learn from him. 22 ammo is cheap and much more accurate than a lot of the ammo you buy in bulk for your AR.

Study up on ballistics and recoil before you purchase a bolt rifle. There’s always someone at the range that wants to help other people, don’t ask the guy dressed like Rambo. Shoot some different rifles and decide what you want before you buy one. Good luck!

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Russ79] #7155964 04/30/18 11:54 PM
B
Bigfoot Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Russ79
My first suggestion would be to buddy up with someone that has hunting experience and start picking his brain. You can get a very reasonably priced rifle in .270, .308, or 30-.06 to fit your beginning needs. Top with a quality 3-9x40 scope and start practicing. I have been shooting a Savage Model 110 in 30-.06 for close to 40 years and has never let me down. If you stick to the three calibers I mentioned you can generally find them in any mom and pop, middle-of-nowhere store if you get in a bind for ammo.

I second this guy above.

I think you are on the right track and thinking properly. 1.Start with the proper rifle and learn how to shoot it. Your first guns should be a bolt action and once you get used to that and learn that gun your second rifle will be an AR15 or AR10. As you learn more about guns on this forum and others you will figure out what best suits your needs. 2. start piecing together your hunting equipment little by little. Good waterproof boots camo clothing and some binoculars should get you through the first year. Buy the best stuff you can afford especially when it comes to guns. The more expensive the gun the better the resale value.

To buy a decent gun just look for one on the classifieds section here. Visit it twice a day if you need to. My personal preference for a good hunting round is just like the guy stated above. look for a bolt action rifle with a decent 3-9 scope for a cheap price and when you see the gun that you like in one of those calibers then make an offer and get it. Thats how I bought my rifle and I saved a fortune that way. I ended up with 30-06 but if my gun were offered in 270 or 308 I would have jumped on it also. Other calibers to look at are 243, 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08. Once you get your gun dont worry about a bunch of fancy rests or benches. You wont be hunting off a bench so learn to go with the minimum and think that you are training yourself to shoot for hunting. Always keep that in mind at the range. Buy you 2 sand bags and go shoot. The more you shoot the better you get. Nobody can tell you how to become a better shooter you have to spend time at the range. Once or twice a month from now till november and you will be fine. Book a cheap doe or hog hunt and get after it. Nothing teaches like experience. You can also go hunt in the sam houston national forest for deer and hogs with a $48 APH permit. Lots of rules to know so you will need to study the rules to go. But thats how every body gets started including myself. You have to put in the time to be successful.

Your first year or 2 you will stumble through it and then eventually your experience level will go up and keep going if you are a true hunter that is.

good luck

Last edited by Bigfoot; 05/01/18 12:15 AM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7156226 05/01/18 04:00 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Thank you all for the great replies and advice.

It looks like everyone recommends a decent rifle, scope (3-9), and some practice/training shooting. So that is what I will do. I will still look for a scope for the AR-15 and some training class in the Houston area. I will do some reading over at the Rifle section.

Thank you all.

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7156563 05/01/18 03:05 PM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
You can buy a Savage "Axis" bolt action rifle at Carters Country for under $300. The rifle has a 3X9 power scope included that has been factory mounted and boresighted. Several deer hunting calibers are available, I recommend a 6.5 mm Creedmoor.

Do not waste your time or money on shooting 500 yards, go to a local rifle range and learn to keep your shots in a 3" circle at 100 yards.
When you can do that EVERY time you shoot, you will be ready to hunt.

Deer "meat" is called venison.

Good luck and good hunting.

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7156673 05/01/18 04:11 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
as others have stated, there are a lot better choices of rifles over an AR platform for deer. But with that said, there are a lot of people that successfully kill deer & hogs using an AR. If you opt to stick with that rifle, just be sure to get very proficient shooting it.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7156769 05/01/18 05:37 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Also you can keep an eye on the classifieds here on the forum for deals on used rifles and scopes......Welcome also.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7156884 05/01/18 07:28 PM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
Many have said you can deer hunt with an AR, but as a newbie I wouldn't suggest it to start out with. Get a good, solid bolt action rifle with good optics and get good with it first.

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Russ79] #7156902 05/01/18 07:48 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Russ79
Many have said you can deer hunt with an AR, but as a newbie I wouldn't suggest it to start out with. Get a good, solid bolt action rifle with good optics and get good with it first.

X2

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide