Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Igloo vs Yeti #7152466 04/26/18 12:48 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
The below reply from BOBO to me concerning Igloos vs Yeti's got me thinking.

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Until you stand on or drop a bag of ice in the igloo and crack it out. I don’t think the Yeti prices are justified compared to competing roto coolers though

I did a quick bit of research to see if this was a legitimate concern. So I took my own Igloo 110 qt Maxcold Texas edition and did a quick little test.

As you can see there is no issues with me worrying about standing on the cooler. I didn't have a bag of ice but I am not concerned 20lbs of ice will crack out this cooler if it can support my weight standing in the middle of it.

Then I thought about capacity and price. That cooler I posted can be purchased for $99. As you can see below it also has a sliding and retractable handle which makes moving this cooler easier as it is advertised it requires 50% less effort move than a comparable cooler. The comparable Yeti weighs 40 lbs where this one weighs 25 lbs. So if you account for the less effort due to the handle then this cooler is about 4x easier to move around than the Yeti.

Next I looked at the price. The Yeti 110 costs $500 versus $99 for the Igloo. But in order to make the Yeti comparable to my Igloo then I would need to purchase a wheel and handle kit. These kits go for $100-$200 themselves which kicks the Yeti price up to $650 or about 6.5x more than this little Igloo.

Finally and most importantly I compared the capacity. The Yeti 110 states it can hold 74 cans which is respectable. But my Igloo has a 150 can capacity. This is the most imporant number for me. Would you rather have 74 cans of cold beer over 5 days or have 150 cans of beer over that same time frame? Me... I would rather be prepared and be able to take more than double the amount of beer with me as compared to a Yeti.

So I did a quick calculation on the price per beer. This is where it gets interesting. It costs about 13 x more per can of cold beer to keep them cold when purchasing a Yeti versus an Igloo.

You could buy 5 extra Igloos as replacements for when they do break before you would even spend the amount on a single Yeti. You could end up with 10x the capacity for the price by purchasing the Igloos compared to the Yeti.

I am sure there is a place for them in the market but I would think that in 98% of the situations a cooler is needed a Yeti would be a waste of money while putting you in a precarious position of running about of beer in less than half of the time as you would if you would have just purchased an Igloo.

If anyone cares to look into this cooler it would be well worth your time. Here is a link below.

Igloo Glide 110qt Marine Wheeled Cooler

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: mattyg06] #7152470 04/26/18 12:52 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Good post, Matty!

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: mattyg06] #7152487 04/26/18 01:04 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Pretty interesting, I looked quickly at the Rtic 110, it holds 110 beers and weighs 48 lbs dry. However, the price is $255 right now, regular price is $320.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: mattyg06] #7152495 04/26/18 01:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I've had igloo marine coolers in the past.

i'll stick with my yeti's

latches break, corners crack, lid hinges come off.....reason they are cheaper.

Not a Yeti promoter but a rotomolded cooler is always gonna be better than a igloo cooler

if all you haul in it is beer than by all means, get a igloo. but I rarely put beer in mine

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: txtrophy85] #7152512 04/26/18 01:24 PM
G
GOLDSTEIN Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Not a Yeti promoter but a rotomolded cooler is always gonna be better than a igloo cooler

if all you haul in it is beer than by all means, get a igloo. but I rarely put beer in mine

X2

And I’ve had many igloo and Coleman coolers crack in the bottom when I toss a 20 lb bag of ice in

Retirement Planning & Asset Management
www.SullivanFinancialPartners.com
Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: mattyg06] #7152520 04/26/18 01:34 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Yeah I’m certain that regular coolers can’t stand up to the roto-molded ones for durability.

I have always said that heavy fishing use (i.e. bay boats) is where the roto-molded coolers shine. IMO about the only application where the cost/benefit analysis weighs out in buying them.

That said, I simply don’t want to mess with a heavy-a** cooler for simple everyday use of keeping drinks cold or a deer in it for a few hours until I take it to the processor. Even on remote hunts I’ve never had any need for half-ton coolers at $500-1200 apiece to haul meat home. Two or three big Igloos or Colemans with some dry ice works fine even for long hauls.

YMMV

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: mattyg06] #7152537 04/26/18 01:47 PM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I'm all about the cardboard box with a plastic trash bag liner. The cost is about $2.00 plus another $5.00 in ice. When your finished you just throw it away! No hinges to break, no handles to break, just plan no handles at all! Keeps beer and other drinks cold for hours and not worried about someone stealing it out of the back of the truck!

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: mattyg06] #7152545 04/26/18 01:55 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Good points we have 2 igloo marine coolers but, try to stuff an elk quarter in there without cracking the bottom on the inside.
The liner is not near as thick or indestructible as the Yeti. Took out large marine on a cow elk hunt and it came back with a crack on the inside liner, now after some silicon doesn't leak into the area between layers. Did you throw that marine cooler out of the back of your truck to see how it holds up?

We've had and used the marine coolers for years before Yeti, they work fine but are not the same. However I have never had to pay full price on a Yeti and would not own one if I had to, I have 3.
A 160 Igloo is just as hard to load in a truck when full of elk as a Yeti.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: BowsnRods] #7152546 04/26/18 01:56 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
I'm all about the cardboard box with a plastic trash bag liner. The cost is about $2.00 plus another $5.00 in ice. When your finished you just throw it away! No hinges to break, no handles to break, just plan no handles at all! Keeps beer and other drinks cold for hours and not worried about someone stealing it out of the back of the truck!

Winner Winner

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: txtrophy85] #7152551 04/26/18 01:58 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

This^

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: Wytex] #7152553 04/26/18 02:00 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Wytex
Good points we have 2 igloo marine coolers but, try to stuff an elk quarter in there without cracking the bottom on the inside.
The liner is not near as thick or indestructible as the Yeti. Took out large marine on a cow elk hunt and it came back with a crack on the inside liner, now after some silicon doesn't leak into the area between layers. Did you throw that marine cooler out of the back of your truck to see how it holds up?

We've had and used the marine coolers for years before Yeti, they work fine but are not the same. However I have never had to pay full price on a Yeti and would not own one if I had to, I have 3.
A 160 Igloo is just as hard to load in a truck when full of elk as a Yeti.

I loaded up my Yeti full of ice and a quartered deer and had it in the back of my polaris. Hit the gas a little too hard and the Yeti flew out of the back end onto the corner where the lid and cooler met. Really no damage other than scratches and it didn’t open up. Try that with a cheaper cooler and see how it works out.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 04/26/18 02:00 PM.
Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: mattyg06] #7152577 04/26/18 02:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: mattyg06
The below reply from BOBO to me concerning Igloos vs Yeti's got me thinking.

Until you stand on or drop a bag of ice in the igloo and crack it out. I don’t think the Yeti prices are justified compared to competing roto coolers though

I did a quick bit of research to see if this was a legitimate concern. So I took my own Igloo 110 qt Maxcold Texas edition and did a quick little test.

As you can see there is no issues with me worrying about standing on the cooler. I didn't have a bag of ice but I am not concerned 20lbs of ice will crack out this cooler if it can support my weight standing in the middle of it.

Then I thought about capacity and price. That cooler I posted can be purchased for $99. As you can see below it also has a sliding and retractable handle which makes moving this cooler easier as it is advertised it requires 50% less effort move than a comparable cooler. The comparable Yeti weighs 40 lbs where this one weighs 25 lbs. So if you account for the less effort due to the handle then this cooler is about 4x easier to move around than the Yeti.

Next I looked at the price. The Yeti 110 costs $500 versus $99 for the Igloo. But in order to make the Yeti comparable to my Igloo then I would need to purchase a wheel and handle kit. These kits go for $100-$200 themselves which kicks the Yeti price up to $650 or about 6.5x more than this little Igloo.

Finally and most importantly I compared the capacity. The Yeti 110 states it can hold 74 cans which is respectable. But my Igloo has a 150 can capacity. This is the most imporant number for me. Would you rather have 74 cans of cold beer over 5 days or have 150 cans of beer over that same time frame? Me... I would rather be prepared and be able to take more than double the amount of beer with me as compared to a Yeti.

So I did a quick calculation on the price per beer. This is where it gets interesting. It costs about 13 x more per can of cold beer to keep them cold when purchasing a Yeti versus an Igloo.

You could buy 5 extra Igloos as replacements for when they do break before you would even spend the amount on a single Yeti. You could end up with 10x the capacity for the price by purchasing the Igloos compared to the Yeti.

I am sure there is a place for them in the market but I would think that in 98% of the situations a cooler is needed a Yeti would be a waste of money while putting you in a precarious position of running about of beer in less than half of the time as you would if you would have just purchased an Igloo.

If anyone cares to look into this cooler it would be well worth your time. Here is a link below.

Igloo Glide 110qt Marine Wheeled Cooler

Lol...First you are standing on a cooler that hasn’t been in the sun or back of a truck for a few hours, in the spring none the less. Do that and get back to me, they eventually break down, especially with more then casual usage in less then a year.

I use to run 4 igloo 120 or 152 coolers on my bay boat(May to aug) and then rotate them out of my truck during hunting season mid (aug to Feb )

I was replacing and or patching 2-4 a year. Since I switch to rotor molded coolers, I haven’t had to replace, patch or one.

So in 6 years(2.5 coolers a year @ $80) that’s $1200 in igloos replacements vs the $1300 in roto molded coolers that are still going strong. That’s not even counting parts and time cutting straps for hinges

It is with out a doubt more economical feasible for me to run roto molded coolers. Now if you have a hard time comprehending it’s because you are casual user of a cooler, and just aren’t going to get it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: mattyg06] #7152585 04/26/18 02:20 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have two Igloo Sportsman coolers. They are Rotomolded, an Igloo (made in Texas) and about 1/2 the price of a Yeti.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #7152600 04/26/18 02:26 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Winner Winner

Works terrible in a boat or hunting 45 mins from nearest gas station

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7152611 04/26/18 02:33 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

Winner Winner

Works terrible in a boat or hunting 45 mins from nearest gas station

Or needing to keep ice for 5 days without replacing/replenishing it.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: mattyg06] #7152612 04/26/18 02:35 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Yeti sells scratch and dent products from a warehouse in Austin. On most, they will receive more scratches in the back of a truck on the first day than what caused them to go to the warehouse.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: scottfromdallas] #7152616 04/26/18 02:40 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
I have two Igloo Sportsman coolers. They are Rotomolded, an Igloo (made in Texas) and about 1/2 the price of a Yeti.

There are some great deals on cheaper options

Grizzly(has LEO/Military discount program)
RTIC - upto 25% off at Bucees and online
Canyon
Bison
Cabelas
Megellen
Engel

Close outs or discounts all the time

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: jeffbird] #7152618 04/26/18 02:41 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Yeti sells scratch and dent products from a warehouse in Austin. On most, they will receive more scratches in the back of a truck on the first day than what caused them to go to the warehouse.

I thought they sent those to be shredded.. they use too

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: mattyg06] #7152627 04/26/18 02:46 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Rtic also has scratch and dent deals in their retail store, I think it's 50% off with no warranty.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7152636 04/26/18 02:50 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
Rtic also has scratch and dent deals in their retail store, I think it's 50% off with no warranty.

That’s a no brainer!!! That makes Igloos plastic coolers a rip off

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: mattyg06] #7152689 04/26/18 03:30 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Bobo,
it has been a few years since I looked at them, so put a qualifier on my comment. I do not know if they still sell them. The warehouse used to be in East Austin.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: jeffbird] #7152696 04/26/18 03:36 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Bobo,
it has been a few years since I looked at them, so put a qualifier on my comment. I do not know if they still sell them. The warehouse used to be in East Austin.

Can't remember where but I heard they were no longer selling them for some reason.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7152703 04/26/18 03:41 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A

This would be a good deal. RTIC retail store location?

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #7152706 04/26/18 03:45 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H

This would be a good deal. RTIC retail store location?

290 and Huffmeister in Cypress.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti [Re: jeffbird] #7152720 04/26/18 03:54 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Bobo,

They use to then they stopped and thought the decided to go to shredding them. I could be wrong

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide