Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Grendel 90 gr Speer TNT Test on 165 lb Sow #7142521 04/16/18 09:08 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
My last vid has Dave and I shooting Speer TNT 90 gr ammo with pretty good results, but we didn't necropsy any hogs. So I went out Sunday night with the hopes of getting at least one hog, ideally a large boar. I ended up with a medium-sized sow (165 lbs). I made a shot that I would expect to be fatal with SST or other hunting ammo and it was definitely fatal with TNT. I apologize for the video. The computer has issues and I had to reboot a couple of times during the making of the video.

It took some research, but I learned of a condition that I had been seeing over numerous hunts with some hogs that I necropsy, tissue that feels like really delicate bubble wrap that pops with the slightest touch. That is actually called subcutaneous emphysema, which just means air bubbles in the tissue below the skin. It is unpleasant and generally not life threatening unless the bubbles close off an airway, such as in the throat. It occurs commonly with chest wounds or breaks in the pulmonary system allowing gas to escape into the body, such as with a stabbing or gunshot wound to the chest. However, I have also see this condition in the abdomen. It can occur by piercing wounds, blunt force trauma, or by extra large pressure increases (called 'barotrauma') such as may be experienced by divers. Given that the injury can occur outside of the chest cavity when animals are being shot and that it can happen very suddenly and over a wide area, I wonder if it doesn't happen as a result of the rapid expansion of the temporary wound cavity inside the animal??? Maybe somebody with real medical knowledge can enlighten me on this.

When I next try the TNT ammo, I will see if I can shoot farther back on the shoulder and step up the challenge to the round.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Grendel 90 gr Speer TNT Test on 165 lb Sow [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7142558 04/16/18 09:38 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Great video.

Re: Grendel 90 gr Speer TNT Test on 165 lb Sow [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7142584 04/16/18 10:21 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
The mighty little bullet that could...

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Grendel 90 gr Speer TNT Test on 165 lb Sow [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7143222 04/17/18 04:27 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Good video, I always like the ones with bullet performance/terminal effects in them.

Re: Grendel 90 gr Speer TNT Test on 165 lb Sow [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7144245 04/18/18 03:25 PM
H
h20thief Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Sub Q emphysema is generally caused by a perforated lung allowing air to escape into the plural space. I've treated a couple of patients (I'm a paramedic) with it and have seen it on closed trauma as well. In particular, a guy fell while standing on his back bumper and hit his tailgate just under his shoulder blade. 10 hours later he calls us due to severe pain and difficulty breathing. Rolled him a bit to inspect and found the sub Q rice crispy, definite sign of a lung injury.

I would suspect it could happen with the expansion of the plural space when the bullet strikes but likely also due to the animal continuing to breathe with a damaged lung. I've cleaned several deer over the years that presented with the same and I just assumed it was due to the respiratory effort immediately following the shot (I usually heart/lung shoot to avoid meat damage).

Great videos as usual DNS. Finally recovered from ankle surgery and hopefully can resume hunting with the Trail.

H20thief
------------
Positive thinking may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Re: Grendel 90 gr Speer TNT Test on 165 lb Sow [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7144328 04/18/18 04:30 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have now heard back from a veterinarian (former military medic) and a doctor at the Mayo clinic of all places. Everything I had read had the condition occurring (often implied, not stated) over a prolonged period of time, such as 30 minutes to several days. Sudden traumatic onset certainly can happen, but the speed, in regard to treatment, isn't a huge concern as it usually takes care of itself (except in rare cases where it occurs in the neck and swelling may close off the airway) and so the speed issue usually isn't even addressed.

While it usually is associated with the top/forward half of the body (human/quadruped), I have seen it happen over the topside near the pelvis as well, around the wound area.

I have seen it with various projectiles and calibers, but I will be interested to see if the condition is really frequent with bullets like TNT that are known for their overly rapid expansion and see if that plays into it.

Re: Grendel 90 gr Speer TNT Test on 165 lb Sow [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7144568 04/18/18 07:56 PM
N
NorTexShooter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
N
What brand or model brass catcher are you using?

Re: Grendel 90 gr Speer TNT Test on 165 lb Sow [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7144584 04/18/18 08:12 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Intriguing …

It's interesting to see the performance differences between various bullets.
I don't get to shoot near enough hogs to collect sufficient data, and I tend to just shoot the cheapest cup and core bullets I can get, so thanks for taking the trouble to report your findings. Not that I'm likely to make any changes, but you never know.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Grendel 90 gr Speer TNT Test on 165 lb Sow [Re: NorTexShooter] #7144603 04/18/18 08:25 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: NorTexShooter
What brand or model brass catcher are you using?

I use brass catchers from Tactical Brass Recovery. I have the low end model and the type that opens up.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide