Page 1 of 2 1 2
Your quinessential trigger squeeze #7133419 04/05/18 04:04 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Having a good, crisp trigger that breaks like a glass rod is perhaps only half of what it takes to get off an accurate and reliable shot. The other half is having the best trigger squeeze that works for you. While it seems like a simple matter of just squeezing the trigger rather than jerking it (even though some claim they're more accurate when they jerk the trigger), it brings to mind at what rate should the trigger be squeezed until the trigger breaks.

I'm one who can squeeze a trigger so slowly that if it has any creep to it, I will find it. While a slow squeeze seems best, can it become so slow that it decreases accuracy?

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/05/18 09:30 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133426 04/05/18 04:20 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
same here.. I can detect the slightest bit of creep with others can not, it drives me NUTS to have ANY

Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133450 04/05/18 04:39 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Having a good, crisp trigger that breaks like a glass rod is perhaps only half of what it takes to get off an accurate and reliable shot. The other half is having the best trigger pull that works for you. While it seems like a simple matter of just squeezing the trigger rather than jerking it (even though some claim they're more accurate sharpen they jerk the trigger), it brings to mind at what rate should the trigger be squeezed until the trigger breaks.

I'm one who can squeeze a trigger so slowly that if it has any creep to it, I will find it. While a slow squeeze seems best, can it become too slow that it decreases accuracy?

If you run out of air before the trigger breaks, that is too slow.

Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133459 04/05/18 04:47 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
The trigger is the go button on the rifle. It is the first thing I recommend doing to a rifle to help with accuracy. Having a little creep is ok, if you know to pull through it. The main thing I need to know is where the trigger breaks. Having a light trigger weight with no creep is great. But if it does have creep, know where the trigger breaks to go off.

On everything I shoot, I will prep the trigger, then shoot. If the rifle has some creep with a 2# trigger, I take out the creep and get 1 to 1.5 lbs of trigger pulled, then finish off the rest to to shoot. Same thing for a light weight trigger or a heavy trigger.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133520 04/05/18 06:06 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
1-2#

I too can feel the smallest amount of creep.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133608 04/05/18 07:51 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
I'm not practiced enough to judge triggers, but I have seen many an exotic deer escape unharmed from people who seem to take eternity to, as Chad put it, make the rifle "go."
I don't know if too slow decreases accuracy, but it can lead to an empty cooler.

Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133639 04/05/18 08:26 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I like a 2 1/2-3 lb trigger...that breaks CLEAN. I hate creep.

anything under 2 1/2 is too light for my hunting rifles and anything over 3 lbs is too stiff

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133661 04/05/18 08:48 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
My apologies for not being more clear in my OP.

My intended focus was not on trigger pull poundage but on your preferred method for squeezing the trigger. I've edited the title of my post accordingly.

The earlier comment about being able to "pull through" any noticeable creep was a good one but does bring up the question as to how that is being done. Are you squeezing the trigger so slowly that the trigger moves and reaches the end of its creep without firing, or are you squeezing just a little faster so the creep is passed through with no notice of it?

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/05/18 08:51 PM.

Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133675 04/05/18 09:05 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Are you squeezing the trigger so slowly that the trigger moves and reaches the end of its creep without firing

^^^ This. I will squeeze the trigger up to the point just before it breaks. Once I reach that point, I will finish off the squeeze when the rifle is perfectly aimed for the shot I'm taking. Some triggers have no creep and no wall. Meaning, the trigger is solid stiff, and with a slight squeeze, it will go off. Most triggers have a slight take up and come to a "wall", or a point where the trigger will not go rearward any more, and squeezing more past this wall will break the trigger to fire.

Each trigger is different. I have several Jewell triggers and each one has a little different "feel" during the squeeze or firing process. One has a softer break, meaning the trigger has a touch of creep, but breaks without coming to a "wall". You reach a point in the soft pull and it breaks. My other Jewell has almost no creep, and comes to a "wall", then a little more pressure breaks. My TRG 42 is a 2 stage trigger. Stage one you take up the slack. Once you take up thew slack, you come to a wall for stage 2. Stage 2 is like a normal trigger, and a slight squeeze will break the shot. Some people do not like a 2 stage trigger. I have a 2 stage Jewell on my AR, which I absolutely love. When AR shooting, I think it's a great trigger for the type of weapon it is.

When shooting anything (pistol or rifle), I try to take up the creep or slack, find the wall (called prepping the trigger), then break the shot when ready.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: ChadTRG42] #7133679 04/05/18 09:08 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Are you squeezing the trigger so slowly that the trigger moves and reaches the end of its creep without firing

^^^ This. I will squeeze the trigger up to the point just before it breaks. Once I reach that point, I will finish off the squeeze when the rifle is perfectly aimed for the shot I'm taking. Some triggers have no creep and no wall. Meaning, the trigger is solid stiff, and with a slight squeeze, it will go off. Most triggers have a slight take up and come to a "wall", or a point where the trigger will not go rearward any more, and squeezing more past this wall will break the trigger to fire.

Each trigger is different. I have several Jewell triggers and each one has a little different "feel" during the squeeze or firing process. One has a softer break, meaning the trigger has a touch of creep, but breaks without coming to a "wall". You reach a point in the soft pull and it breaks. My other Jewell has almost no creep, and comes to a "wall", then a little more pressure breaks. My TRG 42 is a 2 stage trigger. Stage one you take up the slack. Once you take up thew slack, you come to a wall for stage 2. Stage 2 is like a normal trigger, and a slight squeeze will break the shot. Some people do not like a 2 stage trigger. I have a 2 stage Jewell on my AR, which I absolutely love. When AR shooting, I think it's a great trigger for the type of weapon it is.

When shooting anything (pistol or rifle), I try to take up the creep or slack, find the wall (called prepping the trigger), then break the shot when ready.

Excellent post. I need to chew on your wall concept for a bit to make sure I follow it.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/05/18 09:11 PM.

Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133681 04/05/18 09:08 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Another big thing is proper follow through. After the shot goes off, the finger is pressed to the rear of the trigger all the way, then the finger is lifted after the shot. I see bad form on this all the time. The nano-second the gun goes off, the shooter bounces their finger off the trigger as fast as possible. That's pour follow through. It's like a baseball pitcher stopping his arm the second the ball leaves his hand.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133691 04/05/18 09:13 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I was talking to a sniper once, and he tells a great story about a bad guy he had cross hairs on. He had about 1 1/2 lbs squeezed on a 2 lb trigger, waiting for him to make a wrong move. That's knowing your trigger!!!

Another sheriff I shoot with had the rapper DMX at gun point with the safety off and the trigger prepped with his MP-5. (no comment on this one!)

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: ChadTRG42] #7133699 04/05/18 09:17 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
The trigger is the go button on the rifle. It is the first thing I recommend doing to a rifle to help with accuracy. Having a little creep is ok, if you know to pull through it. The main thing I need to know is where the trigger breaks. Having a light trigger weight with no creep is great. But if it does have creep, know where the trigger breaks to go off.

On everything I shoot, I will prep the trigger, then shoot. If the rifle has some creep with a 2# trigger, I take out the creep and get 1 to 1.5 lbs of trigger pulled, then finish off the rest to to shoot. Same thing for a light weight trigger or a heavy trigger.

So your squeeze is not a single linear pull but one that has two stages where you squeeze to a point and stop, then begin squeezing harder until it breaks, correct?

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/05/18 09:19 PM.

Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133711 04/05/18 09:25 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I want my trigger finger 90 degrees to the trigger, trigger placed on the fatty pad of my finger, and squeeze straight to the rear. The most important thing to me is where is the "wall". I'll prep the trigger to the wall, and then finish the shot when I'm ready. This is generally within a few seconds. The problem with some factory rifles with a stock trigger is, the wall takes a ton of effort to get past. You feel like you squeeze and squeeze, and finally it goes off. I hate these triggers. This is why I recommend a trigger tuning to help with accuracy.

The trigger squeeze is the same, no matter what firearm I am shooting. If the finger is not 90 degrees and pulled straight to the rear, the shot will go right or left. The most common problem I see is shooters barely have their finger on the trigger and the finger is at an angle and they are pushing the trigger to the left and rearward at the same time. This will cause the shot to go right.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133717 04/05/18 09:36 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

So your squeeze is not a single linear pull but one that has two stages where you squeeze to a point and stop, then begin squeezing harder until it breaks, correct?

Yes. If it is an aimed shot where I am taking my time to make an accurate shot, I will "prep" the trigger, then finish the squeeze when I'm ready for the round to go off.

If I am working a moving target in training or comp, then all bets are off- I'm bolt rippin'! But if you practice it enough, you will do it anyway. This is why dry firing is so important. Set up your rifle where you can dry fire (SAFELY, of course!), and dry fire the snot out of it. Dry fire it where when you pull the trigger the cross hairs do NOT move a bit.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133721 04/05/18 09:38 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
And good questions, BTW!

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133727 04/05/18 09:49 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I had a good reply all thought out but Chad stole my thunder. His descriptions are absolutely proper. To consistently shoot well you must be able to break the trigger clean at the precise instant you want it to break.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133962 04/06/18 01:56 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
My perfect trigger is one that I have enough time behind that I can get on target and think “now” and the rifle fires. If this is not happening for me then I have not had enough time with that trigger. As Chad said dry fire or enough rounds down range and you will be able to fire without the crosshairs moving.

I want zero creep ideally. Definitely sub 2.5 and if for bench work only under 1.

The only factory trigger I don’t screw with or replace is a Tikka. And I unscrew it to its factory safe stop or go to a lighter spring. My second favorite is the older 4 screw savages. They are very tune-able but can be unsafe if you do not exercise proper caution.

Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7133979 04/06/18 02:08 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Chad covered it all.

Today I shot two different rifles, my competition 6.5 Creedmoor and my rental rifle 7mm-08. On each rifle, I dry fired 3 times, before any live rounds. Reminding myself of each rifle's trigger. And each dry fire, I slowly added pressure, found the wall, slowly added pressure until it broke, keep squeezing after it breaks (follow-through).

Once live rounds were added, they shot great. I had cleaned the 6.5 Creedmoor and was re-fouling. At 100 yards, I managed sure enough 1/4 to 1/2 MOA.

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast".

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7134633 04/06/18 09:38 PM
G
garyrapp55 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
G
What are we gaining from the follow-through, after the projectile has left the tube?

Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7134639 04/06/18 09:45 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The payoff is the steadiness and repeatable mechanics that are gained by staying in the shot. That doesn't stop with the trigger but the rest is a topic for another discussion.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 04/06/18 09:53 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: garyrapp55] #7134815 04/07/18 01:38 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
What are we gaining from the follow-through, after the projectile has left the tube?

Having your mind set to follow-through, and not move the rifle during the shot, concetrating on what you're doing, instead of what you're about to do is the difference in a 1/4 MOA rifle shooting 3/4 MOA or a 1/4 MOA rifle shooting 1/4 MOA. You can affect that bullet while it is still inside the barrel, belive it or not.

You'll see smile

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7134823 04/07/18 01:47 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Slapping the trigger has adverse affects. Try it and see the difference.

[Linked Image]
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7135709 04/08/18 01:02 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Slow and steady is nice if it happens that way. I hunt off of foot, so runnin targets are common. A jerk on a runner across rough terrain is probably happening, but thinking about it during this time dont happen. Just happens. Long range shots require a light and easy touch. Pretty simple. Pretty sure duck hunters dont ease into it.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Your quinessential trigger pull [Re: Texas Dan] #7135900 04/08/18 06:56 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Reading these posts, i see rhe draw to two stage triggers. I only have one two stage trigger. It sounds like most people, myself included, shoot a single stage (with some creep) trigger like its a two stage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide