Forums46
Topics537,030
Posts9,719,587
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? #7131314 04/03/18 04:14 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
The recent proposal to create a single general season for both the north and south regions brings to mind if separate seasons based on hunting methods are still necessary. There's no denying that methods-based seasons were originally created as revenue generators by requiring hunters to purchase additional permits or tags to hunt outside what became known as the General Season. And there's also no denying that equipment manufacturers liked the idea as a way to get hunters to purchase more equipment. Now that most states no longer require hunters to purchase additional tags or permits to hunt outside the General Season, are they still necessary.

What benefits are there in having separate, methods-based seasons other than those which benefit equipment manufacturers?

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas Dan] #7131346 04/03/18 04:43 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Bowhunters will argue that firearm hunting makes the deer skittish, and lowers their chances, thus the reason they need to go first.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7131361 04/03/18 05:02 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Bowhunters will argue that firearm hunting makes the deer skittish, and lowers their chances, thus the reason they need to go first.

As a firearm hunter I think all the bow hunters make the deer skittish before the gun season ever opens.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas Dan] #7131364 04/03/18 05:04 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Bow hunters have a much lower success rate, so combining seasons would handicap their ability to harvest a deer. I see no issue in keeping a separate bow season.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas Dan] #7131372 04/03/18 05:10 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I was unaware that most states have done away with separate seasons.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: unclebubba] #7131394 04/03/18 05:41 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: unclebubba
I was unaware that most states have done away with separate seasons.

Separate seasons still exist.

I should also correct the statement made about additional fees. Texas hunters are still required to pay an additional $7 in order to hunt during the archery only season. Of course, the state benefits from those who pay for it with their Super Combo license, even though they may not need it.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: fouzman] #7131417 04/03/18 06:05 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: fouzman

As a firearm hunter I think all the bow hunters make the deer skittish before the gun season ever opens.

To both the above quotes, any hunters that make deer skittish are poor hunters. Deer should never know you are there. deer should never become skittish when being hunted from close or far. Deer becoming skittish is the result of poor scent control, poor noise control, or poor movement control.

I will agree there are a lot of poor hunters out there. Including myself. But the deer becoming skittish is the result of us being poor at our craft.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 04/03/18 06:06 PM.
Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas Dan] #7131426 04/03/18 06:16 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
My reply was meant as a joke.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas Dan] #7131435 04/03/18 06:25 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
These questions come up for a simple reason, entitlement. As much as anyone wants to argue, the separate season argument becomes one of "don't shoot my deer before I get a chance"...as if the deer was yours in the first place.

If you feel this question has any merit on its face, then you can build you a high fence around your place and "control" your herd as much as possible and not let anyone else shoot "your" deer. If you can't afford to build a HF, then make some money and build a HF. A HF is the only answer that will give you some "control" in the decision making, unless you are in politics.

As anyone that has bow hunted can attest, we let so many deer walk that we could have shot with a gun it is laughable. I also gun hunt and will say by far the gun season is much easier than bow season from a preparation and consideration standpoint (noise, scent, movement, wind etc). I enjoy both for different reasons.

I also think being a bow hunter makes you a better hunter, not universally, but for the majority of us. So if separate seasons makes more bow hunters (and therefore more hunters becoming better), I am all for it.

I also think a combined season would lead to more people not taking up bow hunting and becoming mediocre gun hunters as the need to be a better "hunter" when gun hunting isn't as important. I would rather have better hunters than mediocre hunters.

Just my opinions, doesn't make them right or wrong, but they are my take on the OP's question.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: fouzman] #7131437 04/03/18 06:27 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My reply was meant as a joke.

You may have been joking but the opinion has been tossed round before by others. So not totally an invalid response just because you were joking... hammer

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: fouzman] #7131467 04/03/18 06:47 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

It takes me all season bow hunting to do what you guys can in a weekend. Heck I couldn't even get a shot on a doe in four weeks of hunting the end of the season.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas Dan] #7131487 04/03/18 07:06 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
This proposed change has already taken place on millions of acres across the state. It’s called the MLD program. We were not on this program the first 5 years but have been the last 5. It’s made no difference in successful mature buck kills on average each season except for less broken horns. The deer being easier to pattern in October has nothing to do with weapons being used to hunt them.

I will hand it to you Dan, it was getting quite boring in this thread lately, lol. stir

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas Dan] #7131493 04/03/18 07:12 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I think one of the best reasons to keep separate seasons is public hunting. I would hate to be bow hunting on public land when someone else is out there with a high powered rifle. I know, if you bow hunt during general season that is what you get but at least you can make the decision whether you want to take that chance. I remember the days when I used to hunt public land and bow hunted during the opening of squirrel season and kids are in the woods shooting up into trees at squirrels with .22's.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7131509 04/03/18 07:29 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I will hand it to you Dan, it was getting quite boring in this thread lately, lol. stir

Again, it was the recent proposal by the TPWD Wildlife Commission to set the same end date for the General Season in both the South and North regions that prompted my OP. Still, I feel questioning the value to hunters of having separate seasons without regard to the revenue it creates for state wildlife agencies is quite valid.

I have a suggested solution that might bring a little unity to the issue but will let the pot cook for a while before sharing it.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: fouzman] #7131521 04/03/18 07:43 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

I saw this on a small tract that I hunt in East Texas. We were unaware that a small group of hunters leased an open pasture that's adjacent to our tract where they setup feeders near the bordering fence line. It was only well into the general season when we didn't see near as many deer as in seasons past that we discovered their feeders. The hunting has returned to normal since we started checking our fence lines the weekend before and on the opening of bow season.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas Dan] #7131531 04/03/18 07:50 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I saw this on a small tract that I hunt in East Texas. We were unaware that a small group of hunters leased an open pasture that's adjacent to our tract where they setup feeders near the bordering fence line. It was only well into the general season when we didn't see near as many deer as in seasons past that we discovered their feeders. The hunting has returned to normal since we started checking our fence lines the weekend before and on the opening of bow season.

I am confused why checking your fencelines would make a difference to a neighboring property...were you doing something to the fenceline or to their feeders on the fenceline? Just asking as I had a neighbor once put up folding chairs on the major trails at a fenceline of a property I was leasing, in an attempt to keep deer from travelling across the fence was my guess?? But it didn't impact deer activity one way or another.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7131599 04/03/18 09:04 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I am confused why checking your fencelines would make a difference to a neighboring property...were you doing something to the fenceline or to their feeders on the fenceline? Just asking as I had a neighbor once put up folding chairs on the major trails at a fenceline of a property I was leasing, in an attempt to keep deer from travelling across the fence was my guess?? But it didn't impact deer activity one way or another.

Our tract is small (about 100 acres) and heavily wooded with good, deer-holding habitat. Naturally, an open pasture is not. For that reason, the hunters were not really hunting the pasture they leased, but the deer on our tract. The hunting activity along the fence line had a definite impact on deer movement on our tract. Once the hunters realized there would be legal activity just across the fence from their feeders during bow season, they stopped leasing the pasture and deer movement on our tract returned to normal.

The lesson learned was that even though a neighboring property may not be good, deer-holding habitat, don't assume someone may not lease and hunt it.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/03/18 09:10 PM.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas Dan] #7131603 04/03/18 09:08 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
So you were being a good neighbor and keeping your deer on your side of the fence by driving along the fenceline during season...or some other legal activity that wouldn't be construed as hunter harassment or anything like that.

As long as it is on your side of the fence... roflmao

As an aside, what if someone did that to your place, lets say the neighbors started driving up and down the fence lines during legal hunting seasons and honking horns and all that and you saw deer movement turn to nothing. What would you do then?

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas Dan] #7131608 04/03/18 09:12 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
All hunters should be treated equally by the State.

The bad thing about an early bow season is many bowhunters only bow hunt because they get a 30 day head start. Many bow hunters have no business bow hunting.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7131611 04/03/18 09:13 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
So you were being a good neighbor and keeping your deer on your side of the fence by driving along the fenceline during season...or some other legal activity that wouldn't be construed as hunter harassment or anything like that.

As long as it is on your side of the fence... roflmao

As an aside, what if someone did that to your place, lets say the neighbors started driving up and down the fence lines during legal hunting seasons and honking horns and all that and you saw deer movement turn to nothing. What would you do then?

Such things always boil down to what are you bringing to the table. If you have good habitat on your side of the fence, you bring just as much to the table as your neighbor who likewise has good deer habitat. If you don't, you're just mooching off your neighbor. It's just plain old common sense.

But in today's world, I have no problem recognizing there will be those who feel "entitled" to the resource even though they bring little if anything to the table.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/03/18 09:19 PM.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas Dan] #7131633 04/03/18 09:51 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Texas Dan, not trying to rain on your party, but you brought nothing to the table other than paying to use someone else's land...I have seen deer (big numbers of deer) use a small area for bedding during the day then travel close to a mile every night across a 3/4mile field and a road, searching for food, then come back and bed in the same small spot every day until sunset when they get up, move across the same field and it was clock work. So by your analogy, because you "leased" the small spot, you have all the rights to the deer and could "control" their movement by being active along the border of the small spot and the field preventing them from doing what they naturally wanted to do, which was go find food? You do realize the state owns the deer and you don't even own the land?

And you are lecturing about those feeling entitled to a resource even though bringing little to the table?

What if the folks across your leased fence line were spending more money than you were on corns and protein? Isn't that bringing more to the table? Sounds like it might have been the case if you were losing deer form your side to the other due to a couple of feeders. What if the deer bedded down in your leased land but wanted to stretch their legs a bit and get out of the shade to more open sunny spots, maybe an open pasture...100 acres is a small habitat for a herd of deer. Maybe the neighboring property had some significant pastures with food sources the deer like, such as green briar or plum or other sources you never saw since you weren't there. There is a lot that could have been a possibility that you might have overlooked.

There are so many things wrong with what you stated there...entitled. The only person that felt entitled in your story was you. You felt entitled to the deer so you felt you had to harass the other hunters away so they wouldn't shoot "your" deer walking taz coach wife cheerleader lol35

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: maximus_flavius] #7131634 04/03/18 09:53 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius

The bad thing about an early bow season is many bowhunters only bow hunt because they get a 30 day head start. Many bow hunters have no business bow hunting.

Spoken like a true gun hunter clap

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7131642 04/03/18 10:05 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Texas Dan, not trying to rain on your party, but you brought nothing to the table other than paying to use someone else's land...I have seen deer (big numbers of deer) use a small area for bedding during the day then travel close to a mile every night across a 3/4mile field and a road, searching for food, then come back and bed in the same small spot every day until sunset when they get up, move across the same field and it was clock work. So by your analogy, because you "leased" the small spot, you have all the rights to the deer and could "control" their movement by being active along the border of the small spot and the field preventing them from doing what they naturally wanted to do, which was go find food? You do realize the state owns the deer and you don't even own the land?

And you are lecturing about those feeling entitled to a resource even though bringing little to the table?

What if the folks across your leased fence line were spending more money than you were on corns and protein? Isn't that bringing more to the table? Sounds like it might have been the case if you were losing deer form your side to the other due to a couple of feeders. What if the deer bedded down in your leased land but wanted to stretch their legs a bit and get out of the shade to more open sunny spots, maybe an open pasture...100 acres is a small habitat for a herd of deer. Maybe the neighboring property had some significant pastures with food sources the deer like, such as green briar or plum or other sources you never saw since you weren't there. There is a lot that could have been a possibility that you might have overlooked.

There are so many things wrong with what you stated there...entitled. The only person that felt entitled in your story was you. You felt entitled to the deer so you felt you had to harass the other hunters away so they wouldn't shoot "your" deer walking taz coach wife cheerleader lol35

Rationalization for sure.

I bet you also wait to see where other boats are headed instead of working a little harder to find your own spot to catch fish.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas Dan] #7131647 04/03/18 10:10 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
While it may bring more money into state budgets, we can already see that separate seasons creates division between hunters.

So once again, if you remove the financial benefit to wildlife agencies and equipment manufacturers, where are the benefits to hunters?

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/03/18 10:11 PM.

Re: Should separate methods-based seasons be a thing of the past? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7131682 04/03/18 10:43 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius

Spoken like a true gun hunter clap

Spoken like a true bow hunter.

& by that, I mean "Gotta have that extra month to shoot that deer on your little place before the neighbor has a chance."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide