Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Impact hog trap has on population #7130406 04/02/18 06:55 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
My father and I are under contract for a piece of property in North East Coleman County (yay). I love hog hunting and when I was flying my drone around the property before we made the decision... I noticed the neighbors had a hog trap. I was slightly disappointed as the last lease we were on had hogs but after extensive trapping... the population dropped significantly. Literally went from seeing hogs nearly each trip in 2015 to seeing a few in 2016 and then to seeing none at all of 2017.

Any idea how much of an impact a single trap has on the local hog population? It's in an adjacent 50 acres to our 173 acre property. I saw fresh signs of rooting so I know they are there. Slightly worried history will repeat itself and I won't be able to bring home the bacon!

Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7130427 04/02/18 07:15 PM
J
jrfan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
My neighbor is trapping 100+ a week. I can't tell a difference.

[Linked Image]
Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7130520 04/02/18 08:41 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

Bigger the trap the better. Hogs get educated this type allows more hogs caught, hog pannaling push (light spring loaded) gate. Put feeder in pen, with flight tin on back side of spinner so corn stays inside pen. Bigger the better. Best wishes.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7130568 04/02/18 09:33 PM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
If they are properly using a large pen trap and taking whole sounders out then yes you will see a drop in hogs.

If they aren't taking the whole sounder out they are just educating some of the hogs, you might see a temporary drop in numbers but they will bounce back quickly.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: VAFish] #7130668 04/02/18 11:13 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: VAFish
If they are properly using a large pen trap and taking whole sounders out then yes you will see a drop in hogs.

If they aren't taking the whole sounder out they are just educating some of the hogs, you might see a temporary drop in numbers but they will bounce back quickly.

Plus ours are nomadic....they will be around for a few weeks then disappear for a couple months.....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7130727 04/02/18 11:55 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Good info! Based on the size of the trap - I wouldn't think they are taking whole sounders. I flew my drone as close as I could to take a pic - this is what it looks like -

Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7130774 04/03/18 12:41 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Inside of the trap looks the same as the outside of the trap, would make me think it isn't being used much if at all.
I see these kinds of traps built and used when the hogs are heavy and someone gets excited but rarely are they kept active in my experience.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7130797 04/03/18 01:02 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Much depends on the terrain and what 'features' are attracting the hogs to begin with.

The relatively small acreage you are talking about (anything under 250 acres) is not likely to harbor 'local/resident' hogs for very long anyway.

BUT....if certain features exist on your property (good cover, food sources, year 'round water, little hunting pressure) you will likely have hogs readily 'replacing' any that are trapped.

^^^^^
This is the situation with my property. No matter how many I take off of it, I will always have hogs. It is not only a preferred travel route for hogs, but it is attractive to them for the reasons I listed above.

Your 'Drone' is a good tool to use to take a quick look around, but I'd pull up Google-Earth and look at the bigger picture. Often times...you can see 'choke points' or other terrain features that might help with making decisions about where to hunt/trap or IF to hunt/trap.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7130823 04/03/18 01:25 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
One key factor to hogs is water...tank/pond or creeks. They will move to surface water. If that place or your place has the only water in dry times you will have more hogs. That one factor can make it easier to trap them. That is the way my place is here with limited surface water and even more so in drier times. I can trap them down to them not showing up or any sign for months till it rains. Runoff in creeks or into ponds lets them move back in. Like posted above they will also move to food sources.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7131070 04/03/18 12:41 PM
W
winner Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I don't think it is wise of you to be flying your drone over others property. not everyone is accepting as you may be.

Last edited by winner; 04/03/18 12:43 PM.

You should give some serious thought to thanking your lucky stars your from Texas.
Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7131182 04/03/18 02:17 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Thanks for the responses.

I do have 4 tanks on the property and a creek running through it - the neighboring property doesn't have any water sources. Good points RattlesnakeDan, stxranchman, and flintknapper. I'm sure the water sources are the reason why there are signs on my property.

winner - I certainly agree. I don't normally fly my drone that close over other peoples properties... but when looking at the property and considering spending $$$$$$ for it... I figured it'd be worth the risk to see what's next door. Without the drone recon, I wouldn't have noticed they have a feeder 50 yards from my fence line with the line of fire going directly into my property... right where I planned on parking an RV. Oof. Based on their stand location, I'm nearly guaranteed that a bullet passing through a deer will end up on my property. Would've been dangerous to park my RV where I planned until that's sorted. That's for another discussion though smile

Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7132349 04/04/18 05:16 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Park that RV right there and they will move that stand, unless they want a visit from a GW about the danger associated with their stand orientation and bullets going onto your property.
If not the RV then some sort of shed or camping spot setup.
That trap may just push the hogs onto you . If you have the water, you'll have the hogs and the deer. Sounds like a nice spot if the neighbors don't prove to be an issue.
Food plots sound like a great idea.

Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7132388 04/04/18 05:48 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Thanks Wytex. I spoke with the owners of the property - turned out to be an extremely nice elderly couple who live in New Mexico and are only holding onto the land as an investment.

They are allowing a nearby neighbor to lease the adjacent property to hunters. Called the number they provided for the person arranging the lease... turned out to be an angry teenager who told said to never call again. Not sure what's going on there.

Already looking into food plots. Never planted one, but on my previous lease - the rancher did and the results were amazing.

Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7132504 04/04/18 07:47 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
they can only trap on their property. not on yours any maybe not on the properties around them. extensive well run trapping can definitely knock out some hog numbers but i would think there are not many trapping programs like that going on in the state otherwise you'd be seeing statewide drop in hog population. they can't get them all. as long as you yourself are also not shooting/trapping them with total elimination in mind you are going to have pigs. put up some feeders and enough of them will stay close to you that it won't matter too much what the neighbor is doing. probably just about anywhere there is hogs there are also at least a couple somebodies trapping them. i would not see it as an issue.

Outdoorsman
Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7132532 04/04/18 08:08 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Good info Erich. Thanks for the response. There was an extensive trapping operation on my last deer lease - couldn't believe how quickly the numbers dropped in 2 years. This particular hog trap doesn't seem too sophisticated.

Certainly don't want to fully eliminate them - though I'm sure the local farmers would be happy! Planned on keeping enough around to have a constant supply of bacon and for the younger ones on my wife's side of the family to be introduced to hunting.

I used to be baffled on why some deer leases I'd find online would only let hunters shoot 1 hog per year. I can see why now... it gives an excuse to come out during the off season to enjoy nature and have a shot at filling the freezer. Despite the nuisance - they are fun to hunt and good to eat!

Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7133355 04/05/18 03:28 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: JonPace
Good info Erich. Thanks for the response. There was an extensive trapping operation on my last deer lease - couldn't believe how quickly the numbers dropped in 2 years. This particular hog trap doesn't seem too sophisticated.

cheers ya answered your own question. One of the WMA's son & i usedta hunt was unit #120 , good deer & hog hunts while OSBWMA was our ta go to for hog hunts, it was archery deer. Smith county was buck only ever since moved their in 83. NO do tags, we tried, told not enough deer.
So concentraited on hogs, rofl every one complains about the problem, yet all bs its not a problem if ya charge $200.00 ta hunt. Up North we did things different. If some one had problem we Helped & didnt get charged for helping.. We didnt have big hog problems, except when WMA flooded & they followed streams & creeks up ta our deer plots. Smith county finaly went 4deer, ment more money for land owners with lease.
UNIT #120 area had bigger hog problem, they trapped & then sold ta HF hog places. Ya " what once was price of poormans food stamps has become a RICH mans Sport. '
NV & Thermal has increased, IF ya have the place ta hunt. The shows like "Hogs Gone Wild" & such Hollywood version of facts.
Nothing wrong with making money off hunting, gun dealers been doing it for centries. My first deer rifle was a .45 kentucky. It teaches patiants, ta be a better shot, ya only have one, with my AR used cheap .55gr fmj or hps, & only once failed ta retrieve hog. Used a 10 round clip, & at most only carried 5 rounds. Others enjoy hunting also. Reason started posting on this forum, see if any one wanted ta hog hunt WMA land.
YA, trapping can make a differance.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: winner] #7134096 04/06/18 11:29 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: winner
I don't think it is wise of you to be flying your drone over others property. not everyone is accepting as you may be.
over my place elmer

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7134175 04/06/18 12:58 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
colt45 - I'll make sure to keep my drone away from Bastrop County lol444

Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7134266 04/06/18 02:35 PM
Y
YellowDog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
I believe that is called trespassing. Flying your drone over your neighbors property, with out permission

Born to Hunt/Fish
Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7134280 04/06/18 02:53 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I hope the hogs don't effect deer hunting if you are interested in that. I know on my place when hogs show up the deer leave. As long as hogs are using my place the deer move to the neighbors.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7134317 04/06/18 04:17 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
YellowDog - Land ownership does not extend into public airspace. It used to about 75 years ago. Land owners have a sort of "easement" into the air. FAA certainly controls the airspace above the tallest structure on your property. The laws are vague on what they control below your tallest structure. That's why it's a federal crime to shoot down a drone... and also why other aircraft can fly over your property without trespassing.

I could encounter problems if I was:

1. Causing a nuisance with it
2. Flying it recklessly
3. Landing/launching on neighbors property
4. Violating privacy law
5. Flying below the altitude of your highest structure

Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7136160 04/09/18 12:45 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
YellowDog - Land ownership does not extend into public airspace. It used to about 75 years ago. Land owners have a sort of "easement" into the air. FAA certainly controls the airspace above the tallest structure on your property. The laws are vague on what they control below your tallest structure. That's why it's a federal crime to shoot down a drone... and also why other aircraft can fly over your property without trespassing.

I could encounter problems if I was:

1. Causing a nuisance with it
2. Flying it recklessly
3. Landing/launching on neighbors property
4. Violating privacy law
5. Flying below the altitude of your highest structure

From the way I read as of Sept 2017 when the law was updated you have to have permission to fly over private property and especially if you taking pictures or video.

https://www.101corpuschristi.com/news/changes_in_drone_law_restricts-use-over-private-property

Quote:
Not adhering to the newly amended statute could result in a Class C or B misdemeanors with fines of $500 to $2,000, depending on whether images obtained from an illegally flying drone were published.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7136165 04/09/18 12:45 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good info! Based on the size of the trap - I wouldn't think they are taking whole sounders. I flew my drone as close as I could to take a pic - this is what it looks like -

Not much activity.

Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7136178 04/09/18 12:56 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I had thought 500 feet was our buffer.

Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JDP Ranch] #7136188 04/09/18 01:05 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Drone Laws In Texas

https://www.dronethusiast.com/drone-laws-texas/

Quote:
Sec. 423.006. CIVIL ACTION.

An owner or tenant of privately owned real property located in this state may bring against a person who, in violation of Section 423.003, captured an image of the property or the owner or tenant while on the property an action to:

enjoin a violation or imminent violation of Section 423.003 or 423.004;

recover a civil penalty of:

$5,000 for all images captured in a single episode in violation of Section 423.003; or

(B) $10,000 for disclosure, display, distribution, or other use of any images captured in a single episode in violation of Section 423.004; or

recover actual damages if the person who captured the image in violation of Section 423.003 discloses, displays, or distributes the image with malice.

(b) For purposes of recovering the civil penalty or actual damages under Subsection (a), all owners of a parcel of real property are considered to be a single owner and all tenants of a parcel of real property are considered to be a single tenant.

(c) In this section, “malice” has the meaning assigned by Section 41.001, Civil Practice and Remedies Code.

(d) In addition to any civil penalties authorized under this section, the court shall award court costs and reasonable attorney’s fees to the prevailing party.

(e) Venue for an action under this section is governed by Chapter 15, Civil Practice and Remedies Code.

(f) An action brought under this section must be commenced within two years from the date the image was:

captured in violation of Section 423.003; or

initially disclosed, displayed, distributed, or otherwise used in violation of Section 423.004.

Added by Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1390 (H.B. 912), Sec. 2, eff. September 1, 2013.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide