Print Thread
Protein advice and tips setup #7127304 03/29/18 08:11 PM
G
grunt0311 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
G
So I own about 30acres in Bee county, I just ordered a Bossbuck #350 Protein feeder and two banks wild water troughs cause I want to try and give the deer a boost on my property and around me , my property has the typical south Texas brush that deer like to eat and I'm surrounded by large LF ranches, I see big mature Bucks every deer season and have taken a B&C buck the first year I bought the property and have some bruisers on camera, I have heard that other hunters like to put their protein feeders in a secluded area and some just put one in the pen with their corn feeders what works for yall and why also the feeder will be penned with a 100gal banks system , brand of protein to use I have been looking at Purina pro max at tractor supply and lyssy&eckel feed in George West what brand do y'all prefer that deer like. I know my property is not some thousand acres or more but hey if I can help out the deer heard around me and make my property more convenient towards them food, water, cover which is green green right now and we got an 2inches of rain here in mineral,tx the deer will benefit and I will also be able to see and take a mature buck each season which I only take two deer off our property each season that sustains through the year!!! Any advice will be appreciated stxranchman since you are familiar with our area thanks!!! SEMPER FI

Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: grunt0311] #7127363 03/29/18 09:26 PM
B
btpatriot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
We have used L&E for a long time in Bee county with good results. L&E and Purina are both great feeds so I would choose what is most available and most affordable. Your free choice feeder should be a sanctuary of sorts. It should be a place where the deer feel comfortable and not stressed. Most people do not hunt their protein locations for this reason. If you must fence it I would recommend creating the largest pen within reason with the least amount of fencing possible. If you can use a few strands of barbed wire then make it easy for deer to go under and over. If you must use panel wire use hog wire to make it easier for them to jump over and if you can leave narrow gaps between a few panels for fawns to go through. I would avoid having brush inside or to close to the pen. There needs to be escape cover nearby but you don't want the deer to feel as though they can be ambushed. Having water in or near the pen is a great idea. Some folks will mix corn with their protein to help deer find it quicker. I have done this before and I am not sure it helps much. However I do know it attracts turkeys and other birds that like to drag protein out to get to the corn. This time of year maybe difficult to get deer started on protein. Deer will eat protein when they need it and this time of year there are plenty of food sources to choose from.

Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: grunt0311] #7127372 03/29/18 09:41 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I feed year round with 4 protein feeders on 234 acres. I put a protein feeder in the same pen with a protein feeder and never shoot into the pen. I do corn the roads and around the pens when I hunt so the deer are used to me sitting in the blinds. I shoot deer on the road corn and still see tons of deer. Some of bucks that are here in the summer eating food plots and protein will leave in late Oct. I do get new bucks move in all the time starting in mid Sept. This year in mid Dec the bucks that had left all moved back in and the ones that were here stayed around. So the buck activity was the highest it has ever been at that time of the year. I could put out 25-35# or more of corn each time I hunted and it was all gone when I left the blind. The oats was kept short with all the deer activity. I counted 21 bucks one morning that were in front of me and then 17 more that were seen the previous 2 days or at night on TC. Along with 17 does and 4 fawns that same morning, so 42 deer at one sitting. Never had that kind of deer activity at any time during the season since the first year during the drought in 2012. I only shoot one buck per year(5 in 6 years) and then my does via MLD permits. Feeding protein year round keeps does around which keeps or draws the bucks. It can get expensive but it does pay off with the deer raised on feed doing much better long term. When it rains or greens up the deer back off of feed here. Last summer I was filling feeders every 7-10 days post rut then with spring green they quit hitting feeders till late April with it dry. My food plots did not come up till May then it started to rain well. The deer hit feed for 5 weeks till first week of June. I filled feeders then and they did not empty again till Sept. 20th or so. Then picked up during the fall with mainly bucks at the feeders putting on the fat reserves for the rut. I have not put out feed for over 5 weeks now this spring and I just had 1.1" to 1.31" of rain last night also. I will plant food plots in mid to late April this year. So I expect the deer to hit the feeders again in about a month. The other option you have is to start deer on free choice feed then shift the feeder over to a timered protein feeder in a year or two when the volume goes up. Google "The Hammer Feeder System". It can help you keep deer activity in the daylight hours(if you want or when you want them) around the feeder by only allowing the deer to get to feed in the daylight hours via the timer/regulated system. Still free choice but only when you want it to be and how long you want it to be free choice feed during the day or night. I have fed Lyssy & Eckel 20% protein for the last 16 yrs now. I buy it in Poth or in GW if I am going that way to Live Oak County to my other place. They are the best feed and value for the money. They have the best mineral/trace mineral and vitamin package of any feed. They make the feed in South Texas and use forage samples from South Texas ranches to make their feeds to benefit what the deer are lacking or need in this area.
While I have long been a proponent of never hunting protein feeders, I do make exceptions when a place is to small for deer to be able to have comfortable bedding or sanctuary areas. Like posted above me, make the pens big enough to get as many deer in and around the feeders as possible. 10 panels minimum and if only using one pen then 12 at least. Hog panels work if you do not have cattle. I never mix protein and corn to start deer but do put a bag of corn in the protein feeder till they eat that all. I do run a corn feed inside the same pen. When the deer empty the feeder I then might mix in 1/2 bag of corn and 1/2 bag of protein( if I do not have a coon problem) till the deer eat that all. Then put in only enough protein that they will eat in 30 days. I never fill a feeder full when I start unless the deer are eating it on the neighbors place. It took me about 30 days to get deer eating corn out of all of my feeders when I started in Oct of 2012. Then only about 2 weeks to eat corn/protein mix. I have kept a feed records on consumption by feeder ever since 1991 when I started feeding protein and still do today. I also keep records on rainfall, food plots planted, density of deer, body weights, scores, etc to see if what I am doing is working or worth the investment.
If you have anymore questions PM me and I will help you anyway I can. I grew up in Northern Bee County and now the area very well.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: grunt0311] #7127382 03/29/18 09:52 PM
G
grunt0311 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
G
Thanks for the great advice, I will utilize the tips yall gave me and put it to use, Both of my corn feeders are penned and I also do the same thing never shoot deer inside I feed my main sendero heavy during the season.also I see more deer numbers that way!! Once again thanks fellas

Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: grunt0311] #7130049 04/02/18 12:38 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Is there anyway or a certain type of protein feeder that will keep the coons from eating all the feed.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: Mr. T.] #7130208 04/02/18 03:40 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Is there anyway or a certain type of protein feeder that will keep the coons from eating all the feed.

When I had mine set up, 3" PVC over the legs of the feeder kept them from getting to the protein.

Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: Shotgun Willie] #7130483 04/02/18 08:08 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.

When I had mine set up, 3" PVC over the legs of the feeder kept them from getting to the protein.

In all my years of feeding protein and testing protein feeders, I have never found any feeder that was 100% coon proof. There are some that are coon retardant but still have coons eating out of them. The more coons the more common the problem around feeders. There is a feeder add on that can help ease the problem but it is pricey and bulky. I would be worried about velvet antler damage when added to some style feeders. The only way to ease the problem is to solve the problem is to catch/trap/kill to manage the coon population down to where they are not a problem. Quick internet search found this pic.

Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: stxranchman] #7130648 04/02/18 10:51 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
In all my years of feeding protein and testing protein feeders, I have never found any feeder that was 100% coon proof. There are some that are coon retardant but still have coons eating out of them. The more coons the more common the problem around feeders. There is a feeder add on that can help ease the problem but it is pricey and bulky. I would be worried about velvet antler damage when added to some style feeders. The only way to ease the problem is to solve the problem is to catch/trap/kill to manage the coon population down to where they are not a problem. Quick internet search found this pic.

That's impressive as hell... LOL.

However, I'd be willing to bet he came down from one of the branches above the feeder, rather than climbed the pipe on the legs, but there's no telling. I've had coons that figured out a swing latch, that I ended up running a phillips head through just to keep them out. It sucked the day I went all that way and realized I left the screwdriver in the truck.

Once they figure out how to work a screwdriver, life as we know it will be over.

Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: grunt0311] #7130752 04/03/18 12:15 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
All Seasons 500lb stand n fill protein feeder. No coons at all.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: Shotgun Willie] #7130829 04/03/18 01:33 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

That's impressive as hell... LOL.

However, I'd be willing to bet he came down from one of the branches above the feeder, rather than climbed the pipe on the legs, but there's no telling. I've had coons that figured out a swing latch, that I ended up running a phillips head through just to keep them out. It sucked the day I went all that way and realized I left the screwdriver in the truck.

Once they figure out how to work a screwdriver, life as we know it will be over.

I have seen pics of them on feeders with PVC pipes on the legs without a tree in sight. I have seen them jump from limbs onto elevated turkey feeders. Some coons are smart enough and enough time to figure out how to get to a free meal. I had one coon that could loosen and remove a wing nut on a varmint cage, then tore up the solar panel and spinner plate. So I repaired the feeder and tightened the wing nut with pliers. Next day the wing nut was on the ground and the varmint cage was open. So I put a regular hex nut on tight and then the wing nut. Next day both the wing and hex nut were on the ground with the cage open. Finally had to put on two hex nuts and tighten them to get it solved till I could get town to buy 5 live catch traps. Next 28 days I caught 88 coons at 4 spin feeders and 3 protein feeders. I have seen pics of coons on or eating out of just about every feeder made.

Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: grunt0311] #7130969 04/03/18 10:33 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
My experience has been as STR. Only sure fire method I've found to cure feeder raiding is trapping. In that it is labor intensive, it might not be possible for a non-resident property owner or leaseholder to manage. If the latter, I would check with the owner before I started as people can be funny about things. After my initial efforts, I was able to get the trapping days down to sets out once a month, and now just on evenings after rain. I use Z-traps and a Havaheart trap, but the bottom line is that the coons all end dead.

I've tried pipes on pipes and even built an electrified feeder. It worked until a very large coon decided to go for it and got tangled in the cord and tore it all up. Deer used it too.

[Linked Image]
Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: grunt0311] #7131138 04/03/18 01:27 PM
P
PoppinPiggies Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
We use the Purina Antler Max but like stated before I would go with whatever is most cost efficient in your area! Protein gets expensive once they start hammering it! Also we have all our protein feeder in penned locations where they will never be hunted to try and encourage them to eat as much as possible and know that they are safe there. As for coons last year we tried the dog proof traps with great results! Just make sure to tie them off to a post or tree or something! Put some wet dog food in them and you'll come back the next morning with a coon in the trap. I recommend checking the traps with a .22 in tow, forgot to bring one last year and the shotgun I had made emptying the traps a messy ordeal..........

Follow me on instagram @crosstexasoutdoors
Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: grunt0311] #7131171 04/03/18 02:09 PM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
There are some great proteins out there, and I have tried most and cost can become a factor but the result of what your deer population on the brand of protein you choose to use will be your satisfaction of end result. I run four 800 lb protein feeders on 500 acres and fill them every 7 days. I never hunt the protein feeders and do have fences around them due to cattle. I also starting in the spring put out a summer blend granular mineral in low side wooden boxes in the feed pens which allows the deer to increase certain mineral intakes if the deer feel they are lacking. I go through 40 lbs of mineral split between the 4 feed stations every 3 weeks.

Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: stxranchman] #7131173 04/03/18 02:11 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
A budy has some protein feeders with about 8 inch pvc over the legs, I think it is to big around for the coons to grip, they have had very good luck with it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: grunt0311] #7134863 04/07/18 02:29 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I would love to feed protein but hard to imagine spending more in feed than we pay to lease. I might try one just to do it.

Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: Txduckman] #7135367 04/07/18 10:54 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
I would love to feed protein but hard to imagine spending more in feed than we pay to lease. I might try one just to do it.
Unless you are really serious about it and are willing to do it right for quite a few years then don't start.

Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: grunt0311] #7135981 04/08/18 09:02 PM
S
Skiddy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
I've been feeding Double Down protein since February of last year. Saw good results last season and hope to see more this coming season. I have been trying to de-coon my feeders. This February I added the offset feeder legs to my two protein feeders. It helped, but I must have really big and athletic coons because they were still able to climb onto my feeder spouts. So this weekend I added some shark teeth strips to my feeder tubes.....they look pretty mean and hopefully it works....we will see.

Last edited by Skiddy; 04/08/18 10:08 PM.
Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: don k] #7136331 04/09/18 05:17 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: don k
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Unless you are really serious about it and are willing to do it right for quite a few years then don't start.

That's what I told one of our guys. Since our deer switch patterns in October, we are feeding our neighbors deer anyway. Our 150+ move over there and it isn't because we aren't putting enough corn out, they have more acorns. We all would need to do it together.

Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: Jimbo1] #7154500 04/29/18 02:22 AM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: Jimbo1
All Seasons 500lb stand n fill protein feeder. No coons at all.

I was looking at the All Seasons 600 lbs electric today. I am concerned it may be too big for the pen that I have in mind. I have a pen already built with hog panels, it was there when I leased the place. Don't really need for my corn feeders because there was no cattle around during season. There were a few head of cattle roaming around yesterday when I was filling feeders. Thought it would be a good idea to put the protein feeder in that pen.

Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: grunt0311] #7186294 06/02/18 08:08 AM
P
Paydirt Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Feed what is easily available to you. I feed Double Down, but that's because my local feedstore has it. Secluded areas are best, near water sources. We started on a new ranch outside of Georgetown a month ago, and they have already emptied two of the five 1400 lb feeders and are close on the others. Just ordered 3 more tons today from Coryell Feed and Supply. Just a little plug, they are the cheapest on Double Down in Central Texas and will help out in any way they can.

Best way to catch coons is take an empty 55 gal barrel, set it next to a fence, tie it off, and put a little corn in the bottom. It may take them a couple days to find it, but once one goes in, you will catch everyone in that group. Then just put the lid on and haul them several miles away.

Re: Protein advice and tips setup [Re: grunt0311] #7186340 06/02/18 12:41 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I'm going to try that barrel trick. I don't have any fences but I got lots of pine trees that I could tie the barrel to.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide