Page 1 of 2 1 2
with or w/o safety #7125075 03/27/18 10:57 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
G
I was killing time again looking at gun parts and am now curious. I see triggers w and w/o. Who uses what and why?

Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55] #7125082 03/27/18 11:01 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
w/o safety is a comp trigger or a guy who doesn't close the bolt and keeps it open until it's time to go hot.

Too each their own.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55] #7125093 03/27/18 11:07 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I accidentally bought one with a bolt release , make sure you get a model without one if your action comes with

Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55] #7125101 03/27/18 11:13 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
You can get a Timney for a 98 Mauser action with or without safety. The bolt shroud can be had in something more or less original configuration, converted to a Model 70 2-position type, or replaced with a custom shroud with a full 3-position safety. Or you may be wanting a trigger for an Interarms Mark X or a Remington 798, in which case you might want top go with the safety integrated into the trigger.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Brother in-law] #7125146 03/27/18 11:55 PM
L
Lazyman Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I accidentally bought one with a bolt release , make sure you get a model without one if your action comes with

Hmmmm...I may have a Jewell for sale shortly...Didn't think about that..

Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Judd] #7125148 03/27/18 11:56 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Judd
w/o safety is a comp trigger or a guy who doesn't close the bolt and keeps it open until it's time to go hot.

To each their own.

This.

For many of my rifles, I could get by with no safety, as I leave the bolts open 99.9% of the time, and the selector on fire.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Judd] #7125187 03/28/18 12:23 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

Too each their own.

Honestly, this is me. I don't use a safety at all. When I am in the deer stand the rifle is chambered and hot, safety off. The rifle goes from a safe position to out the window and ready to shoot. When I get ready to leave the deer stand, the round is un-chambered and goes back down into the magazine and the bolt is closed on an empty chamber. The rifle is "safe" and ready with a quick cycle of the bolt. This is how I operate my rifles most of the time.

When general shooting, the rifle is unloaded until time to shoot. When I am ready a round is chambered and ready to shoot. Same for comps.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Brother in-law] #7125217 03/28/18 12:49 AM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

Is it not removable?

[Linked Image]
Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Judd] #7125504 03/28/18 12:28 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
G

Too each their own.

That's what I thought. I too could get by without the safety as the bolt is only closed when ready to fire. A trigger with safety can be treated like one without by leaving it in fire all the time. So, does the safety cause an issue for competition guys? Why not have the option at all?

Re: with or w/o safety [Re: bphillips] #7125517 03/28/18 12:37 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: bphillips

Is it not removable?

Yes I just have to get in them and do it

Re: with or w/o safety [Re: ChadTRG42] #7125545 03/28/18 12:49 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

Too each their own.

Honestly, this is me. I don't use a safety at all. When I am in the deer stand the rifle is chambered and hot, safety off. The rifle goes from a safe position to out the window and ready to shoot. When I get ready to leave the deer stand, the round is un-chambered and goes back down into the magazine and the bolt is closed on an empty chamber. The rifle is "safe" and ready with a quick cycle of the bolt. This is how I operate my rifles most of the time.

When general shooting, the rifle is unloaded until time to shoot. When I am ready a round is chambered and ready to shoot. Same for comps.

That is simply not a good practice. Having a loaded and ready to fire rifle in that is not under your complete control violates the most basic rules of firearms safety. You should at the very least have the bolt open.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7125560 03/28/18 01:03 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Too each their own.

That is simply not a good practice. Having a loaded and ready to fire rifle in that is not under your complete control violates the most basic rules of firearms safety. You should at the very least have the bolt open.

Seriously, I don’t think he came across as advocating that behavior he was simply stating what he does in a deer stand alone. Many many people hunt with their weapon ready to fire. I do not. He also stated when not hunting his rifle is otherwise unloaded until he’s ready to shoot.

Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55] #7125574 03/28/18 01:15 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Safety.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7125593 03/28/18 01:41 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Too each their own.

What? Having a safe weapon all the time with no round in the chamber? Or having a hot weapon when I'm hunting by myself with the rifle at my ready? And the weapon is under my complete control the entire time. When needed to go safe, the bolt is lifted very quickly. I don't mess with the safety, especially since there have been documented cases of weapons firing when the safety is engaged, which has happened to me. I think my practice of weapon handling "when hunting" by myself is a very safe practice.

Oh, and I had to click on your post to see it, since you are one of my ignored users. And sure enough, I should have just let it go.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55] #7125606 03/28/18 01:49 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: garyrapp55

Too each their own.

That's what I thought. I too could get by without the safety as the bolt is only closed when ready to fire. A trigger with safety can be treated like one without by leaving it in fire all the time. So, does the safety cause an issue for competition guys? Why not have the option at all?

I wouldn't say it creates and issue but if you play timed games and some how some way your safety is turned on...it will cost you time and potentially points because you weren't being able to get off as many rounds.

It's not cosmetically pleasing to have a safety stem up next to a beautifully polished action either grin You know, doesn't matter if you win or lose you have to look good.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55] #7125633 03/28/18 02:13 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
G
Judd, I forgot about the looking good some folks must have. I just stand next to the ugliest guy I see during the that part of judging. The trigger I just bought has safety but I’ll rarely use it. I really don’t give a shoot what it looks like. To sum it up, safety for safety and no safety for looks and fear of it being turned on during timed competition. Thanks for clarification.

Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Judd] #7125734 03/28/18 03:19 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Too each their own.

I wouldn't say it creates and issue but if you play timed games and some how some way your safety is turned on...it will cost you time and potentially points because you weren't being able to get off as many rounds.

^^This has happened to all of us at some point. My competition rifle has not had the safety selector touched in years, it is always on "fire". Those type matches have strict rules of open bolts. Grounded rifle, mag out bolt back, coming up to the line, mag out bolt back, you are told when to insert the mag, and the bolt is still back. Once time starts the bolt is still back, until your eye is looking down the scope at the target. When moving positions, the bolt is back, and again, is not closed until you're looking at the target. There really is no point in touching the safety selector, ever.

My weekly carry rifles are treated the same way. Traveling in the truck, UTV, tractor, or walking, the selector is on "fire" and the bolt is back.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: with or w/o safety [Re: J.G.] #7126631 03/29/18 02:30 AM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Too each their own.

^^This has happened to all of us at some point. My competition rifle has not had the safety selector touched in years, it is always on "fire". Those type matches have strict rules of open bolts. Grounded rifle, mag out bolt back, coming up to the line, mag out bolt back, you are told when to insert the mag, and the bolt is still back. Once time starts the bolt is still back, until your eye is looking down the scope at the target. When moving positions, the bolt is back, and again, is not closed until you're looking at the target. There really is no point in touching the safety selector, ever.

My weekly carry rifles are treated the same way. Traveling in the truck, UTV, tractor, or walking, the selector is on "fire" and the bolt is back.

Are you not worried about dirt, dust and other debris getting in the action or barrel when riding in the UTV or tractor?

I've always been a safety guy and depending on where I'm hunting, don't unload until I get to the truck. Some walks are long and may scare up something to shoot at, of course need to know that it's safe to shoot, (know what's behind my target).

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55] #7126656 03/29/18 02:44 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Scott W

Are you not worried about dirt, dust and other debris getting in the action or barrel when riding in the UTV or tractor?

I've always been a safety guy and depending on where I'm hunting, don't unload until I get to the truck. Some walks are long and may scare up something to shoot at, of course need to know that it's safe to shoot, (know what's behind my target).

No, not worried. I just know I have to pull the bolt and clean the action frequently. That is free as compared to an accidental discharge, especially into someone, or something of importance.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55] #7128241 03/30/18 10:40 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
All my long guns have safety's. I get not using the safety at the range in lieu of an open bolt. In the field while hunting I use the safety every trip. If the safety is not reliable, I replace it with one that functions properly. A closed bolt makes more sense for most of the hunting I do.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55] #7128400 03/31/18 01:33 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
The reason I like Springfields and Mausers, one anyway is that the safety's are positive, locking the firing pin and easy to move to fire without making a sound. I see no reason not to use a safety at all times the rifle is loaded until you need to shoot.

Re: with or w/o safety [Re: rickt300] #7128442 03/31/18 02:03 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: rickt300
I see no reason not to use a safety at all times the rifle is loaded until you need to shoot.

Safeties sometimes fail, causing accidental discharges, and sometimes dead people. Open bolts never fail, that's the reason.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: with or w/o safety [Re: J.G.] #7128495 03/31/18 02:53 AM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
[quote=rickt300]I see no reason not to use a safety at all times the rifle is loaded until you need to shoot.

Safeties sometimes fail, causing accidental discharges, and sometimes dead people. Open bolts never fail, that's the reason. [/quote

Different settings definitely require different precautions. Anything mechanical can and will eventually fail but the safety is a feature that makes handling a loaded firearm safer that I take advantage of. The above poster is spot on in his assessment of the robustness of the Mauser style safety. Ultimately, failure to control the muzzle is the biggest underlying factor in accidental shootings.
Edit to add-if I were operating a shooting range I would definitely have an open bolt policy.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 03/31/18 02:56 AM.

Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Smokey Bear] #7128505 03/31/18 03:07 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
[quote=rickt300]I see no reason not to use a safety at all times the rifle is loaded until you need to shoot.

Safeties sometimes fail, causing accidental discharges, and sometimes dead people. Open bolts never fail, that's the reason. [/quote

Different settings definitely require different precautions. Anything mechanical can and will eventually fail but the safety is a feature that makes handling a loaded firearm safer that I take advantage of. The above poster is spot on in his assessment of the robustness of the Mauser style safety. Ultimately, failure to control the muzzle is the biggest underlying factor in accidental shootings.
Edit to add-if I were operating a shooting range I would definitely have an open bolt policy.

I do not bash any safety selector other than Rem 700. Millions work, every day. But just like NOT driving drunk is way safer than driving drunk, and relying on a seatbelt and air bags.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55] #7128536 03/31/18 03:55 AM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The only 700 safeties I have seen fail had a trigger job by an amateur gunsmith. Scared the crap out of all of us who were present too. I actually liked the old Remington trigger/safety, however I have replaced them all with Timney's as a precaution. So your concern is not unwarranted. To my knowledge the new Remington trigger is safe but can not easily be lightened up enough to suit my taste.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 03/31/18 04:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide