Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How do you define “reasonable effort?” #7109783 03/13/18 02:31 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
How do you define this part of the law when it comes to duck hunting? There can be a number of factors that come in to play that may prohibit a hunter from successfully retrieving a downed bird, so I’m curious how hunters feel about this wording:

Quote:
Waste of Game: It is an offense (Class C misdemeanor) if a person while hunting kills or wounds a game bird or game animal and intentionally or knowingly fails to make a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal or bird and include it in the person's daily or seasonal bag limit.

Does this mean you strip down to your undies and take a swim if you don’t have a dog or boat and the wind changes directions and blows a downed bird too deep to wade on the retrieve? Do you pass up shots if they’re questionable knowing that retrieving the bird would be tough? What if you wound one and swims out into the current before it dies?

Just hypothetical scenarios. I’m interested in how other hunters answer this question, as many situations can play out in any given hunt.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7109913 03/13/18 04:36 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Only way to find out is if a warden see's you down a bird then you just stand there not giving effort. Otherwise it really comes down to integrity....what you do when nobody else can see you.

Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7110007 03/13/18 05:53 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
I waded more than once, but never in water over 3'

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: BDB] #7110104 03/13/18 07:41 PM
T
TGalyon1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BDB
Only way to find out is if a warden see's you down a bird then you just stand there not giving effort. Otherwise it really comes down to integrity....what you do when nobody else can see you.

True

Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: TGalyon1] #7110132 03/13/18 08:12 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TGalyon1

True

True, like almost everything, it’s at the discretion of the warden, but hw do you, as a hunter, define reasonable effort?

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7110163 03/13/18 08:42 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
If I'm hunting big water I always have a boat. Well, except that one time Guy left me stranded. flame

So, the only one that I can relate to is this:

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Do you pass up shots if they’re questionable knowing that retrieving the bird would be tough?

If I'm hunting without a *good* dog I make sure we setup so that if dux are in range that they'll drop where we can get them. Cove strategy, try to get a shoreline downwind where the ones you can't get will pile up.

If we end up sailing one, which isn't often, I'll keep an eye on it so when I get the boat we can go look for it. Usually find it, but will spend at least a half hour.

On the flip side, I find cripples from walk in hunters on my way out a lot. That is a whole different can of worms.

Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7110164 03/13/18 08:42 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: TGalyon1

True

True, like almost everything, it’s at the discretion of the warden, but hw do you, as a hunter, define reasonable effort?

I would say if you have a WELL TRAINED retriever and he/she is not able to retrieve the downed bird then that would constitute reasonable effort. Without a well trained dog all bets are off on what a game warden would consider a reasonable effort.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7110335 03/14/18 12:08 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
The original question was assuming no dog and no boat. The dog question is interesting. What if your dog gives up or doesn’t see it or isn’t trained well or it’s the dog’s first season. I assume guys hunting with dogs expect the dog to retrieve birds, but I’ve seen dogs that just couldn’t get every bird (ice or matted grass or the dog got a sore leg and couldn’t do what it normally did, such as break through ice).

No one has mentioned stripping down and taking a swim. My buddy did that one time in late January. It had been in the 30s for a few weeks. We were needing to leave so one of the guys could get home for something and the wind switched. We had no dog and it was going to take an hour for the bird to blow across the lake to the other shore. He got the bird and we got him in the truck ASAP so he could warm up. Luckily, we could drive the truck to where we were hunting so it wasn’t like he had to hike out all wet.

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7110446 03/14/18 02:31 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The original question was assuming no dog and no boat. The dog question is interesting. What if your dog gives up or doesn’t see it or isn’t trained well or it’s the dog’s first season. I assume guys hunting with dogs expect the dog to retrieve birds, but I’ve seen dogs that just couldn’t get every bird (ice or matted grass or the dog got a sore leg and couldn’t do what it normally did, such as break through ice).

No one has mentioned stripping down and taking a swim. My buddy did that one time in late January. It had been in the 30s for a few weeks. We were needing to leave so one of the guys could get home for something and the wind switched. We had no dog and it was going to take an hour for the bird to blow across the lake to the other shore. He got the bird and we got him in the truck ASAP so he could warm up. Luckily, we could drive the truck to where we were hunting so it wasn’t like he had to hike out all wet.

I think the law is there for the obvious, for the guys that don't give an F. If GW is worth his salt, that is what he is looking for. The only time you would ever get a ticket for this is if a GW is watching you form a distance.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect someone to strip down and swim after a bird. But on that same note, if you do not have a dog, you should pick your shots better and not take shots where bird lands in deep water. So this is grey area, and may not go your way if GW is watching.

And if GW watches you shoot bird, and watches you make a half azz effort looking and you do not find it, and he makes his way to you and looks and finds it, that is probably a ticket unless when he watched you he thought you really tried to find it.

Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: LarryCopper] #7110461 03/14/18 02:47 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
If I'm hunting big water I always have a boat. Well, except that one time Guy left me stranded. flame

Are you talking about the time I was to take you out in my boat, but my dog was injured, so I had to take her to the vet, and I sent you to one of my walk-in spots instead?

If yes, I would not call that leaving you stranded, I would call that improvising. grin

Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7110513 03/14/18 03:31 AM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Did the ole swim tactic more than once. I hate losing a bird & will spend 20 -30 minutes looking for one. 3 of the bands I have came about looking for birds for over 30 minutes. Those times always keep me looking. I saw a guy get a ticket once on a teal hunt. The game warden was watching us & a guy sailed a cripple with a broken wing tip a hundred yards or so & figured he wouldn't find him in the flooded rice. Didn't even leave the levee. We walked out & 2 wardens had been watching us. The warden asked why he didn't go look & he said he didn't think there was any way he would find it & he probably wouldn't have. The warden gave him a ticket & told him next time at least walk over that way.

Last edited by DUKFVR; 03/14/18 03:35 AM.
Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7110625 03/14/18 12:19 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J

If my dog is not able find a duck then I won't be able to either. We don't have to worry about ice where I live. Only alligators.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Guy] #7110726 03/14/18 01:38 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: Guy

Are you talking about the time I was to take you out in my boat, but my dog was injured, so I had to take her to the vet, and I sent you to one of my walk-in spots instead?

If yes, I would not call that leaving you stranded, I would call that improvising. grin
roflmao

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7110728 03/14/18 01:38 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
No matter the situation or set up all cripples should be given 100% reasonable effort to retrieve. That said if guys will quit sky busting and testing there choke distance that alone will cut cripples by leaps and bounds. My cripples fall close so I can get to them and finish them. I took a fall and dunked my gun twice last year chasing a cripple but I got my bird! Those are extreme cases for me though. I'd quit duck hunting if I had to chase cripples from sky busting ranges.

Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Guy] #7110792 03/14/18 02:30 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity

I think the law is there for the obvious, for the guys that don't give an F. If GW is worth his salt, that is what he is looking for. The only time you would ever get a ticket for this is if a GW is watching you form a distance.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect someone to strip down and swim after a bird. But on that same note, if you do not have a dog, you should pick your shots better and not take shots where bird lands in deep water. So this is grey area, and may not go your way if GW is watching.

And if GW watches you shoot bird, and watches you make a half azz effort looking and you do not find it, and he makes his way to you and looks and finds it, that is probably a ticket unless when he watched you he thought you really tried to find it.

up

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: BDB] #7110793 03/14/18 02:31 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
No matter the situation or set up all cripples should be given 100% reasonable effort to retrieve. That said if guys will quit sky busting and testing there choke distance that alone will cut cripples by leaps and bounds. My cripples fall close so I can get to them and finish them. I took a fall and dunked my gun twice last year chasing a cripple but I got my bird! Those are extreme cases for me though. I'd quit duck hunting if I had to chase cripples from sky busting ranges.

I 100% agree on sky busting and choosing shots, but what is reasonable?

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: john paul] #7110795 03/14/18 02:31 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: john paul

If my dog is not able find a duck then I won't be able to either. We don't have to worry about ice where I live. Only alligators.

up

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: DUKFVR] #7110797 03/14/18 02:32 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: DUKFVR
Did the ole swim tactic more than once. I hate losing a bird & will spend 20 -30 minutes looking for one. 3 of the bands I have came about looking for birds for over 30 minutes. Those times always keep me looking. I saw a guy get a ticket once on a teal hunt. The game warden was watching us & a guy sailed a cripple with a broken wing tip a hundred yards or so & figured he wouldn't find him in the flooded rice. Didn't even leave the levee. We walked out & 2 wardens had been watching us. The warden asked why he didn't go look & he said he didn't think there was any way he would find it & he probably wouldn't have. The warden gave him a ticket & told him next time at least walk over that way.

That makes sense.

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Guy] #7110808 03/14/18 02:41 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L

Yes I am! Stuck at the boat ramp without a boat is the definition of stranded! stir

And don't forget I already knew that spot being a master internet scouter... and having a buddy with kid that can't keep his pie hole shut doesn't hurt either! And of course I'm not mad and wasn't at that time - dog is waaaaay more important, just reflecting on my one walk in hunt last year on big water.

Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: LarryCopper] #7118003 03/21/18 12:34 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This was a pic of Tara's paw that morning...I have dealt with this type injury 3 times with Molly, and all 3 times turned into major issues, all nighters at emergence vet, and around $1500 each. The injury is a puncture in the webbing of their foot between the pads/toes. And the issue is when this happens during a hunt, high probability they get mud/gunk up inside the puncture hole, and that is what causes the swelling and problems. And all 3 times with Molly the initial flush at the vet ($280) they never got it all out. Which meant I got home, swelling got worse, and had to go back to emergency in middle of the night, and more $$$. I would tell the doctors upfront don't tell me you found nothing, don't come back till you find something, and I want to see it. One time doc brought me back something in plastic bag, microscopic, and that was the issue. It don't take much.

This time with Tara, I did flush job myself at boat ramp, with peroxide I had in my first aid kit. By the time I got home and to the vet, swelling already went down, but I still gave my doc an earful and told her not to come back unless she finds something. She found nothing, she said I must have got it all out, I believed her only because swelling went down after my flush. And turns out I did. Never had this injury go so well. Doc does not recommend using peroxide with flushing, she said it can irritate the skin, but I'm telling you, it did the trick for Tara, it bubbled and oozed, I squeezed her paw it just all came out.

Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7118175 03/21/18 04:07 AM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I’ve seen Bois-D'arc trees jack a few dogs up pretty bad. One was so bad we were both convinced it had to be a snake bite that we missed. My brother’s place has them, I would not hunt my dog there.

It’s a good thing you found that before the hunt! Like you said, getting mud and carp in the wound sure won’t help.

I would say there is no doubt that you are taking “reasonable effort” to take care of your dogs! up

Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: LarryCopper] #7119115 03/22/18 12:40 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’ve seen Bois-D'arc trees jack a few dogs up pretty bad. One was so bad we were both convinced it had to be a snake bite that we missed. My brother’s place has them, I would not hunt my dog there.

It’s a good thing you found that before the hunt! Like you said, getting mud and carp in the wound sure won’t help.

I would say there is no doubt that you are taking “reasonable effort” to take care of your dogs! up

Flush with this

Then use this

Good bird dogs are often hard chargers and get nicked from time to time. A functional K-9 first aid kit can save you a lot on vet bills and these two items are good stuff that I carry. I have used both on my dogs for punctures with good results.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7119591 03/22/18 03:09 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Do you pass up shots if they’re questionable knowing that retrieving the bird would be tough?

Yes, we have some areas that are boarded by wild rose.
If there is a chance the duck would fall into it, there is no reason to take the shot.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: kindall] #7122058 03/25/18 03:39 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kindall

Yes, we have some areas that are boarded by wild rose.
If there is a chance the duck would fall into it, there is no reason to take the shot.

up

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you define “reasonable effort?” [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7139900 04/13/18 11:48 AM
J
JCCinOhio Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I'd say for a duck at least spend 15 minutes looking where you saw it went down. Without a dog or boat you really shouldn't hunt near cattail marshes, woods, etc where you can easily lose a bird.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide