Page 1 of 2 1 2
Optics wish list (realistic) #7103331 03/07/18 12:58 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Im thinking this year I am definitely going to buy the Nikon Monarch 5 Binoculars. The reviews are fantastic and the price is right at $300.

2nd on the wish list is the Nightforce NXS Compact 2.5-10 X 42 scope. The price is not right at $2000 but after researching this scope I think it is about as good as you can get for a hunting scope.

I need to make these both happen before October.

What is on your list this year?

GO TRUMP!
Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: Bigfoot] #7103333 03/07/18 01:05 AM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I really want to get a Tangent Theta 315M for my custom hunting rifle but not sure I will be able to make it happen this year. For my 257wby I will probably end up with a Leopold vx5hd

[Linked Image]
Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: Bigfoot] #7103348 03/07/18 01:22 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
As soon as Tangent Theta puts an MR4 reticle in their 5-25 model, I’ll buy one. Until then, my SWFA HD 5-20 is just fine.

Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: Bigfoot] #7103364 03/07/18 01:32 AM
Cattleman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Stiener T5XI 5-25x56 . I really want a Nightforce Atacr or Schmidt Bender but they're a little out of my budget.

Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: Bigfoot] #7103391 03/07/18 01:47 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Pretty happy with my optics currently. Think I want to switch to a trijicon rmr for a pistol

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: Bigfoot] #7103563 03/07/18 04:54 AM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
For glass scopes the new long range nikons I saw at Shot Show looked prettyy good with good relief.

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: TXGH] #7103942 03/07/18 05:31 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
For glass scopes....

Do they make other kinds?

Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: Sneaky] #7105022 03/08/18 06:29 PM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
For glass scopes....

Do they make other kinds?

Yes. Some scopes use a bubble of gas for lenses instead of glass.

Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: Bigfoot] #7105076 03/08/18 07:19 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I ran the NF 2.5-10x42 for a good year
awesome scope
I had a few minor complaints, the Mil-R is a bit too fine for hunting and I really didn't care for the digital illumination, but, that's pretty much accross the board. I like a 10 position rheostat with an off between each setting. I have the same complaint on a S&B Stratos 1.5-8X 42 I run on my 6.8, I actually preferred the older style control on the the S&B 1.5-6x42 I had before it.

https://tacticalgunreview.com/nightforce-nxs-2-5-10x42/#more-19670

I am waiting on an ACTAR 5-25 Mil-C

Last edited by ccoker; 03/08/18 07:20 PM.
Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: Bigfoot] #7105110 03/08/18 07:59 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44mm, Impact-29 MOA reticle for the Browning that is not happening yet
SIG Sauer TANGO4 1-4x30mm MIL milling reticle for the MSR that is not happening yet
Vortex Viper or Leupold SX-1 spotting scope, which is possibly going to happen this year

Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: ccoker] #7105416 03/09/18 12:04 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: ccoker
awesome scope
I had a few minor complaints, the Mil-R is a bit too fine for hunting and I really didn't care for the digital illumination, but, that's pretty much accross the board. I like a 10 position rheostat with an off between each setting. I have the same complaint on a S&B Stratos 1.5-8X 42 I run on my 6.8, I actually preferred the older style control on the the S&B 1.5-6x42 I had before it.

Good review. Thanks!

GO TRUMP!
Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: ccoker] #7105733 03/09/18 03:43 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Would love to hear your review on this one. Got to looking around at what scope available right now I would buy with price being no object and I basically narrowed it down to the 5-25 ATACR. Mil-C is a very good and simple reticle. The ATACR allegedly has great reliability, accurate tracking, and I've seen videos of the turrets in operation and they look top notch. I actually like the capped windage turret as well. I just haven't seen a good review of how the glass quality stacks up against other top-tier scopes like Minox, S&B, Tangent Theta, etc. or even the next level like the Razor Gen 2 & others.

I hadn't really taken a full look at the ATACR until just recently and if the glass quality is as good as I'd imagine, then it really is a heck of a total package.

Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: Bigfoot] #7105735 03/09/18 03:44 AM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I want to see what the new Athlon Ares ETR looks like,or I might just buy another Cronus BTR scope.

Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: ccoker] #7106419 03/09/18 09:36 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
awesome scope

I was looking at the velocity 600 reticle but after your comment about the other reticle not being decent for a hunting application with it being too small to see I am thinking now the best hunting reticle will be the IHR illuminated.

I just bought myself a birthday present and got the binocs already.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 03/09/18 11:44 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: Bigfoot] #7106443 03/09/18 10:07 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
for a hunting scope, I still LOVE the LHRS 3-12 and have ran it for 2 seasons on my main "deer" rifle...

Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: patriot07] #7106504 03/09/18 11:28 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: patriot07
Would love to hear your review on this one. Got to looking around at what scope available right now I would buy with price being no object and I basically narrowed it down to the 5-25 ATACR. Mil-C is a very good and simple reticle. The ATACR allegedly has great reliability, accurate tracking, and I've seen videos of the turrets in operation and they look top notch. I actually like the capped windage turret as well. I just haven't seen a good review of how the glass quality stacks up against other top-tier scopes like Minox, S&B, Tangent Theta, etc. or even the next level like the Razor Gen 2 & others.

I hadn't really taken a full look at the ATACR until just recently and if the glass quality is as good as I'd imagine, then it really is a heck of a total package.

Been running one almost a year. All you had to do was ask. smile

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: Bigfoot] #7108405 03/12/18 02:15 AM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
That new MK 5 3.6-18 looks pretty tempting.

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: J.G.] #7108451 03/12/18 03:34 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I didn't pay much attention to it when I was buying because it was so far out of my budget. But there was a thread on snipers hide that's similar to this one (best scope imaginable type of discussion) and it got me to looking around just for fun and I just didn't realize before then why this was such a sweet piece of equipment. Minox has great glass and reticle but questionable turret issues and an unacceptable warranty for a scope in this price range. Tangent Theta has great glass and turrets but no good reticle options. S&B has good features and reticles and glass, but I don't think they have the same reputation for reliability that NF has. Razor Gen II is the same way. I'm sure I'm missing others, but those are the biggest competitors that come to mind.

What reticle do you have? Mil-C or Mil-R?

Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: patriot07] #7108513 03/12/18 11:01 AM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I didn't pay much attention to it when I was buying because it was so far out of my budget. But there was a thread on snipers hide that's similar to this one (best scope imaginable type of discussion) and it got me to looking around just for fun and I just didn't realize before then why this was such a sweet piece of equipment. Minox has great glass and reticle but questionable turret issues and an unacceptable warranty for a scope in this price range. Tangent Theta has great glass and turrets but no good reticle options. S&B has good features and reticles and glass, but I don't think they have the same reputation for reliability that NF has. Razor Gen II is the same way. I'm sure I'm missing others, but those are the biggest competitors that come to mind.

What reticle do you have? Mil-C or Mil-R?

Minox only had some turret issues on early scopes and has resolved it. Their warranty is lifetime for the original purchaser and 10-15 for second hand purchase. Even at that point their has been at least one shooter not register his after purchase and he was still taken care of. Also if you really like the mr4 reticle they have get ready to wait as they picked up a mil contract with that reticle so you won't see a new one stateside for a while. Tangent theta will have a revised reticle out this summer along with horus options (h59 & t3) for the non gen2xr lovers. Schmidt is the gold standard. Any new scope out is tested or compared to the pmii. When they released the locking turret there were some issues but I've yet to see one fail in person. A close friend has a 5-25 atacr just like Jason's and I was less than pleased with it. The milc reticle is awesome but the glass is not the same level as what I'm used to and the eyebox was not easy to get behind. The 7-35 is supposed to have glass on par with the germans but I've not got to look through one in person. Also nf is rumored to have a tree version of the milc out very soon too which will be a nice option because right now the only tree they offer is horus and that's a fairly large upcharge.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: Bigfoot] #7108515 03/12/18 11:04 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have Mil-C and love it!

Mil-R bugs me a bit. Of course I can use it, but NF could have done better. Coming from center, the reticle stops at .5 Mil, the gap is .6, and it begins again at .7 Mil. Beyond 1 Mil it is something else. I can't remember exactly, I would have to have it on my range again. I had a friend's Mil-R out a year and a half ago and measured the subtensions. Like I said, I could use it, but the reticle could have been designed better IMO.

Mil-C, everything is .2 Mil, and up at 25X one can literally hold to the 1/10 Mil of wind.

The pain of spending that much on a scope is still real. Jeffbird made me feel better when he told me that when that scope is still working in 10 years, it won't hurt so bad.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: Bigfoot] #7108916 03/12/18 05:19 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Jason - I figured that's what you had. The 5-25 or 7-35 ATACR with a Mil-C would be freaking awesome. I agree wholeheartedly about the Mil-R as well. Just doesn't make sense why they would design it that way...

dee - To be clear, this was 100% a "thought" exercise for me. I'm not in the market for any of these and I have not seen hardly any of them in person. But I did a bunch of checking out specs/reticles/youtube videos of turret operations/etc. just for grins to see what the real differences are. I have no doubt the revised Minox turrets are better than the originals, but I've read some mixed reviews on them even after getting the upgraded version, and I've seen some videos of the upgraded version in use. Nothing necessarily "wrong" with them, but the added tension on the 2nd rev is not something I'd be excited about accepting on a $2k+ scope, and I saw a video where the turrets weren't lining up with the mark on the scope body, like there was some play in the turret to not make it align properly, which is another negative (I also saw some posts with people saying that the unit-to-unit variation in Minox's turrets was pretty significant, and a lack of production consistency is never a good sign). I do like the MR4 reticle though - a lot. The main issue I was referencing with Minox's warranty is turnaround time. I saw some threads where they told customers to be ready for 90+ days before getting their scope back. That's difficult to stomach when you've got that kind of money tied up in it. And resale is going to hurt with limited warranty for non-original owners as well. Vortex has set the bar in that category, and Minox has not raised their service to match, which is a strike against them in my book.

Regarding TT, I wish they would release something like the Mil-C or MR4. I love the simplicity of each of them. Even the MR4 tree is not too obtrusive IMHO, although the simplicity and usefulness of the Mil-C reticle is one of the things that really makes me like the ATACR. It's nearly perfect. If TT is looking at an H59 or T3, that's way too busy for my tastes. I don't like the Gen2XR very much at all either. But TT has literally nailed everything else down perfect - best turrets, good FOV, forgiving parallax, great optics.

I won't say anything bad about S&B except that you see mixed reviews from time to time due to people having to send them back in for fixes, and that would make me a little concerned. Certainly more than you see from NF or TT, but maybe they sell a lot more scopes too? I don't doubt that they have great glass. On the other hand, their reticle selection is pretty sub-par IMHO. Even though they have a half dozen options, they don't have anything nearly as nice as the MR4 or Mil-C.

That's kind of my point about the ATACR - it may not be the absolute best at anything, but it doesn't really have any shortcomings. Good glass, great reticle, good turrets, great build quality. As a complete package, it just seems hard to beat. If you're willing to make compromises in a specific area, the other brands can start looking nice, but that's not a discussion you should have to have in this price range IMHO.

All that being said, I wouldn't turn any of them down if you gave me one for free. We're nit-picking here amongst some of the best scopes ever made in the history of shooting sports.

Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: patriot07] #7108975 03/12/18 06:20 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That's kind of my point about the ATACR - it may not be the absolute best at anything, but it doesn't really have any shortcomings. Good glass, great reticle, good turrets, great build quality. As a complete package, it just seems hard to beat. If you're willing to make compromises in a specific area, the other brands can start looking nice, but that's not a discussion you should have to have in this price range IMHO.

All that being said, I wouldn't turn any of them down if you gave me one for free. We're nit-picking here amongst some of the best scopes ever made in the history of shooting sports.

I could not agree more.

As a fairly new to precision and long range shooter, your engineering approach to things is quite obvious. up

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: patriot07] #7108982 03/12/18 06:27 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Jason - I figured that's what you had. The 5-25 or 7-35 ATACR with a Mil-C would be freaking awesome. I agree wholeheartedly about the Mil-R as well. Just doesn't make sense why they would design it that way...

dee - To be clear, this was 100% a "thought" exercise for me. I'm not in the market for any of these and I have not seen hardly any of them in person. But I did a bunch of checking out specs/reticles/youtube videos of turret operations/etc. just for grins to see what the real differences are. I have no doubt the revised Minox turrets are better than the originals, but I've read some mixed reviews on them even after getting the upgraded version, and I've seen some videos of the upgraded version in use. Nothing necessarily "wrong" with them, but the added tension on the 2nd rev is not something I'd be excited about accepting on a $2k+ scope, and I saw a video where the turrets weren't lining up with the mark on the scope body, like there was some play in the turret to not make it align properly, which is another negative (I also saw some posts with people saying that the unit-to-unit variation in Minox's turrets was pretty significant, and a lack of production consistency is never a good sign). I do like the MR4 reticle though - a lot. The main issue I was referencing with Minox's warranty is turnaround time. I saw some threads where they told customers to be ready for 90+ days before getting their scope back. That's difficult to stomach when you've got that kind of money tied up in it. And resale is going to hurt with limited warranty for non-original owners as well. Vortex has set the bar in that category, and Minox has not raised their service to match, which is a strike against them in my book.

Regarding TT, I wish they would release something like the Mil-C or MR4. I love the simplicity of each of them. Even the MR4 tree is not too obtrusive IMHO, although the simplicity and usefulness of the Mil-C reticle is one of the things that really makes me like the ATACR. It's nearly perfect. If TT is looking at an H59 or T3, that's way too busy for my tastes. I don't like the Gen2XR very much at all either. But TT has literally nailed everything else down perfect - best turrets, good FOV, forgiving parallax, great optics.

I won't say anything bad about S&B except that you see mixed reviews from time to time due to people having to send them back in for fixes, and that would make me a little concerned. Certainly more than you see from NF or TT, but maybe they sell a lot more scopes too? I don't doubt that they have great glass. On the other hand, their reticle selection is pretty sub-par IMHO. Even though they have a half dozen options, they don't have anything nearly as nice as the MR4 or Mil-C.

Never seen subtension issue's on a minox zp. It's a known issue on khales. The early zp had a stiff second turn and tracked off for some but are solid now again only heard of 2 failing although only have seen one or two in person anyway. One shooter is still running one after the repair. Timeline is due to not have a repair center stateside which is the same issue khales faces.

TT are legit but they have had one or two get out that failed. Not sure their warranty but I wouldn't hesitate getting one. Heck I own a precursor premier and likely will never part with it but it's not on a primary use gun because of the gen2xr.

I've never seen a Schmidt fail and there are more than plenty at matches. They have a stateside service center so there shouldn't be a big deal there. The only negative info on s&b I've seen is the illumination knob for left handed shooters and tunneling below 7x on the 5-25 pmii. The h2cmr and milc are very close in comparison. They do lack a true tree outside of horus and gen2xr.

I've ran nf in the past and had zero trouble out of it. I hated the entire ocular turning 99% of the time although that 1% of the time it was ok that I could just randomly grab and turn. It's nice to run scope caps and not have to worry of interference if I adjust magnification. Like I said the glass imo does not rate (minus the 7-35) at the price point imo. Is it usable sure but so are gen 2 razors and they have noticeable limits. The turrets turn a bit too easy imo. I've seen them (windage) get turned from rubbing on a barricade but if you so desire on the atacr you can cap them.

Scope choices/popularity are very regional imo and depend on how, what or where you shoot on choices that are ran the most. I've only seen vortex and one uso go down in person. Seen the khales not line up on the 6mil mark and be slightly off after that. It was fixed very fast along with the vortex. This is after 5-6 big prs matches the last few years and countless club matches. There are a lot of claims but most end up being other issues.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: Bigfoot] #7109100 03/12/18 08:10 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
After extensive testing by Formid over on 24HCF, the guy who tests scopes for the US gov't, the guy who sees over 50,000 rds per year go downrange, if you don't want to spend NF money you cannot go wrong with the LRHS Elite's. Hodnett told me the same thing.

Re: Optics wish list (realistic) [Re: patriot07] #7109103 03/12/18 08:18 PM
S
snarkscarbine Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
As soon as Tangent Theta puts an MR4 reticle in their 5-25 model, I’ll buy one. Until then, my SWFA HD 5-20 is just fine.

Pick up a Minox ZP5 and you're really freaking close, but saved $1000....

I have two of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide