Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,695
Posts9,727,870
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? #7104903 03/08/18 04:27 PM
M
murph Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
Our landowner has introduced guard dogs into some pastures on our Edwards County lease. Have anyone had them on their lease? Did they cause any problems with chasing deer off or disturbing nesting turkey? Thank you for any input you may have!

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7104914 03/08/18 04:38 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Our landowner tried them, but not in our pasture. Last time I was out there at the dump one of them was dead, in the dump. It was killing sheep. rifle

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7104915 03/08/18 04:39 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: murph
Our landowner has introduced guard dogs into some pastures on our Edwards County lease. Have anyone had them on their lease? Did they cause any problems with chasing deer off or disturbing nesting turkey? Thank you for any input you may have!
A lot depends on the dogs and what animals they think they are supposed to protect and what animals they think are a threat. Even if they don't chase the deer the deer will be afraid and stay away from the dogs. I tried to use a guard dog for my Ibex. After 6 months they were still afraid of him. Then he killed one of my new born kids. So he is no longer here.

Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7105021 03/08/18 06:29 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Introducing an animal with killing instincts. Sounds like a great idea! hammer

Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7105774 03/09/18 04:55 AM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Have three or four Pyrenees living with the goats on the deer lease at Brackettville, they don't bother the deer at all. Out here in Idaho and Wyoming, there are usually four of the big white ones with every flock of sheep. See mule deer right among them all the time, but they are death and destruction for coyotes.

Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7105838 03/09/18 11:40 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
+1 on the value great Pyrenees have for a guarding sheep herds. Not unfriendly but definitely not interested in strangers...and absolute H%$# on coyotes...and totally uninterested in deer. Hunted a ranch close to Lawn and east of Winters for a couple years with them on several pastures and never knew they were there, until the LO mentioned them.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7106014 03/09/18 02:37 PM
P
PoppinPiggies Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
In high school an old man would let me and a buddy hog hunt on his ranch along the red river. He had two Great Pyrenees, they were HUGE looked like dadgum polar bears!! Anyways we had the problem that as soon as we were out there they were so friendly they would just follow us around ruining any spot and stalk hunt immediately. We ended up having to lock them in a horse trailer when we got out there and then we'd let them out when we were leaving (with the landowners permission).

Follow me on instagram @crosstexasoutdoors
Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7106020 03/09/18 02:41 PM
T
TX0303 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Shot a doe but didn't get the best hit so had to track her about 200 yd. A Pyrenees found her first and decided to have a little snack. Shooed it away and claimed my deer.

Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7106745 03/10/18 04:21 AM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I have a pyrenees that stays in the yard (8 acres) and nothing comes in the yard when he's awake. Besides barking all dam night he's been a good dog, extremely gentle, good with all kids, only good for guarding the yard from other dogs or critters. My wife and kids love him. I'm not sure if he would do well around deer or game animals he pretty much chases or investigates anything with four legs.

Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7107817 03/11/18 03:23 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
its all about how they are raised, ever heard that before flehan

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7107948 03/11/18 05:48 PM
M
MWTX270 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
My experience is NEGATIVE with these dogs A landowner about 1/2 mile south of my land, has goats and 7 or 8 of these dogs. They are constantly on my place, and no one can convince me, that they don't chase and kill deer. A couple years ago, my daughter shot a big boar, we drug it off in the bushes. A few days later, I was walking to my stand early morning, in the dark. 4 of these dogs had found the boar and started barking at me as I was walking past, I shined my light, at them, stomped and tried to scare them. It just pissed them off, and they came at me, I had left my rifle in the stand the night before, so I had to run, luckily there was a hog trap close, and I jumped on top of it After about 5 minutes of circling, and barking, they finally left. After the morning hunt, I called the sheriffs office, and told them, any of the dogs were seen on my property again, I would shoot. I had seen these dogs many times before, and they were always timid and ran off, but they wanted that hog.

Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7107960 03/11/18 06:03 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
Well hale. Just let'm have that nasty hog.

Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7108977 03/12/18 06:22 PM
N
nate33 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
This is my feeder in Bastrop ---- the great pyrenees that lives in that yard ignores the deer and they ignore him. There's about 20 chickens and that is what he protects. If a buzzard or hawk flies over he goes into attack mode. He barks at the hogs and they ignore him also,,, I guess they realize he cant get out of the fence. I have a motion detector hooked to a spot light,,, so during the night I can see if anything is at the feeder ------ that light also does not seem to bother any of the animals.

Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7109020 03/12/18 06:49 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Was on a ranch in central Oklahoma and neighboring property, maybe a mile or so away, had two Pyrenees that constantly roamed. Had several occasions while in stand that they would stroll through, and like MWTX said, I am convinced they impacted my hunting negatively.

Unfortunately for the dogs, they developed a taste for the landowners chickens. He was not amused and the dogs soon disappeared. Just saying...

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7139843 04/13/18 05:39 AM
B
blindcowboy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
We have a Pyr and Pyr Anatolian mix. The half Anatolian is old and doesn't leave the porch much but the Pyr is younger and has some playfulness left. We have a feeder about 100 yards from the porch of the cabin and she'll play tag with the regular does. She'll see them show up, bark and jog towards them but as soon as she turns around they chase her back. This will sometimes go on for hours during the summer. At the same time we've had deer 10 feet from our porch wile the dogs were laying on it and I was sitting out, smoking a cigar, and having a conversation with my wife. I think some of it depends on the disposition of the dogs and how used to the dogs the deer are. We are out there regularly through out the year.

Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: murph] #7139875 04/13/18 11:02 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
I am sure you all have seen how the g.p. are raised for guard dogs, at weaning age they are put in with the goat or sheep herd and that's how they grow up, donkeys make good coyote deterrent guards, however use more than one and they just go off by themselves.

Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: MWTX270] #7141402 04/15/18 01:28 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: MWTX270
My experience is NEGATIVE with these dogs A landowner about 1/2 mile south of my land, has goats and 7 or 8 of these dogs. They are constantly on my place, and no one can convince me, that they don't chase and kill deer. A couple years ago, my daughter shot a big boar, we drug it off in the bushes. A few days later, I was walking to my stand early morning, in the dark. 4 of these dogs had found the boar and started barking at me as I was walking past, I shined my light, at them, stomped and tried to scare them. It just pissed them off, and they came at me, I had left my rifle in the stand the night before, so I had to run, luckily there was a hog trap close, and I jumped on top of it After about 5 minutes of circling, and barking, they finally left. After the morning hunt, I called the sheriffs office, and told them, any of the dogs were seen on my property again, I would shoot. I had seen these dogs many times before, and they were always timid and ran off, but they wanted that hog.

Dog chases me he's gonna die..

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: snake oil] #7141551 04/15/18 05:12 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: snake oil

right on

Re: Anyone have experience with livestock guard dogs on the deer lease? [Re: snake oil] #7142341 04/16/18 06:04 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: snake oil

Neighbor's mutt chased my little boy and had him pinned to ground in our yard. I killed that dog and never felt bad about it. Some dogs just need killing.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide