Print Thread
sightmark photon #7094390 02/27/18 11:03 AM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
anybody have the new photon RT "s" nite scopes..seriosly thinking of getting one..was going with the atn..but after talking with jason from a competitor..thinking of changing my mind...i know the tecnology is digital..any realtime experiences with this paarticular product..Jason the dealer for the photoon..said it is a nitetime only..one of the perks i would like is to video my hunts..and a daytime/nitetime would be nice..my budget is about 700$....and enough of the reviews on the ATN..i think yall covered all that in a previous post...thanks..also one other question..how do yall without a huge open field shoot more than one pig at a time?..i will be hunting under a feeder on my sils place..thinking of putting a semi circle of hog panels around the feeder to at least give me multiple shots as they bounce off the panels as they scatter..i guess the decision i have to make is whether i want to spend that much money on a one shot hunt..as im limited on the places i have to hunt..lot to digest..but thanks in advance..a hoglight is already in place..

Last edited by mow; 02/27/18 11:05 AM.
Re: sightmark photon [Re: mow] #7094445 02/27/18 12:46 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Not sure what new photon cost, but did use one very briefly. Seemed to work ok . If it’s more than you want to spend, call around to every dealer you can find. There’s about 15 in tx I can think of off top my head. I’m sure there’s a bunch more that I don’t know about . As far as follow up shots go, any night vision will be obscured after first shot anyway. Smoke from first round will briefly blind you, unless wind is just right . The more supplemental light you add, the worse it gets. If you want to film daytime hunts just get a go pro. Surely you’ve got a daytime scope. Just find a night time model that you can afford. Always someone looking to make a deal . Just have to find them. Good luck I think you’d like it, but there’s nothing in that price range that’s gonna do everything

Re: sightmark photon [Re: mow] #7094450 02/27/18 12:49 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Side note, if you’re thinking about ATN, I recommend you drive to my place, give me half the money, I’ll punch you in the groin, and then pocket you money. You’ll be more satisfied in the long run

Re: sightmark photon [Re: mow] #7094464 02/27/18 01:04 PM
D
DoubleUp Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
The Photon will work in the daytime, but you will be seeing through the viewfinder in black and white and recording in black and white just like you would in the dark. At least you won't have to be bothered by the temporary IR blindness at the shot during daytime.

Re: sightmark photon [Re: DoubleUp] #7094650 02/27/18 03:34 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: DoubleUp
The Photon will work in the daytime, but you will be seeing through the viewfinder in black and white and recording in black and white just like you would in the dark. At least you won't have to be bothered by the temporary IR blindness at the shot during daytime.

This right here. My point is always that, yes you can use the Photon during the day but it's a black and white image and it looks strange to me. As humans we are used to seeing everything in God's beautiful colors and when you look through a black and white video screen during the day, it just seems a little odd. At night, it is a non-issue and I suspect that is because we can't see anything at night and our brains aren't accustomed to full color, so seeing anything, even in black and white doesn't bother us.

The Photons are night time scopes with day time capabilities. Meaning, yes they work during the day but they were designed as night time scopes and that is where they do their best work. Don't throw away your day time glass scope because you bought a Photon; they will never compare to a good glass scope for day time hunting. The real benefits of the day time use is if you go out late in the evening before dark and you don't want to have to take 2 rifles or 2 different scopes. The Photon will definitely let you make a shot if something comes out before dark.

For under $1,000 the only two options out there are the ATN X-Sights and the Sightmark Photons. I think the jury of THF has spoken on ATN, so there is no need for me to beat a dead horse. The Photon RT's are the best Photons yet and if you are looking for simple to use, reliable, super bright IR (on the S models) and the excellent customer service, I'd chose the Photon RT 4.5S or 6.5S.

By the way, not sure if the Jason you talked to was me or not, but if so, feel free to call if you have more questions.

- Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: sightmark photon [Re: mow] #7094768 02/27/18 05:45 PM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I've been using one of the older Sight Marks for some time now, and had absolutely no problems with it. I just took it out yesterday to check zero at 100 yds. and it was right on the money still.....after a lot of bouncing around in my truck. I am in the process of setting up another rifle in another caliber and it looks like another Sight Mark is in my future. I sort of like the ATN with their mounting system and all that, but too darned much negative stuff out there from other owners.

Re: sightmark photon [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #7094842 02/27/18 06:52 PM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
"By the way, not sure if the Jason you talked to was me or not, but if so, feel free to call if you have more questions.

- Jason"

MOW...."waiting on your callback jason like you said in our last coversation"

Re: sightmark photon [Re: Midwaytmm] #7094843 02/27/18 06:54 PM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Midwaytmm
Side note, if you’re thinking about ATN, I recommend you drive to my place, give me half the money, I’ll punch you in the groin, and then pocket you money. You’ll be more satisfied in the long run

lol

Re: sightmark photon [Re: mow] #7094908 02/27/18 07:43 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: mow
"By the way, not sure if the Jason you talked to was me or not, but if so, feel free to call if you have more questions.

- Jason"

Ok will do Mow. Sorry I was confused because you were in a hurry to leave for work. I thought you said you'd call me this morning since I wasn't available to call you after 5:30PM yesterday. I have another appointment about to start but I'll call you as soon as I'm available.

Thanks,

Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: sightmark photon [Re: mow] #7094980 02/27/18 08:56 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Not wanting to “beat a dead horse” or get into a scope war but I do have a question.

I have an atn xsight II 3-14 since 10/17 and have been very pleased with it. I chose it over the Photon because of its daytime color and night capabilities. I do not use the ballistics calc. But I do like the recording capabilities.
From my research pre purchase, I determined that the Photon has better clarity at night and the ATN has better day light clarity.

You seem to be in a quandary but there are really only two choices and it sounds like you have done your research.
My question is. If you are set on NOT getting an ATN then what is stopping you from getting the Photon??

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: sightmark photon [Re: mow] #7095079 02/27/18 10:25 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E

lol

roflmao

Re: sightmark photon [Re: mow] #7095232 02/28/18 12:23 AM
F
fr3db3ar Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
I have the new RT 4.5. Got it sighted in on my 22 but haven't had a chance to get it out in the field yet. Skunk killing is coming soon.

Re: sightmark photon [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #7095294 02/28/18 12:59 AM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Outdoor Legacy Gear

- Jason"

Ok will do Mow. Sorry I was confused because you were in a hurry to leave for work. I thought you said you'd call me this morning since I wasn't available to call you after 5:30PM yesterday. I have another appointment about to start but I'll call you as soon as I'm available.

Thanks,

Jason

thanks for the returned call,jason..having to replace a windshield on my truck..we will talk again soon..thanks,man!

Re: sightmark photon [Re: pegasaurus] #7095301 02/28/18 01:04 AM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Not wanting to “beat a dead horse” or get into a scope war but I do have a question.

I have an atn xsight II 3-14 since 10/17 and have been very pleased with it. I chose it over the Photon because of its daytime color and night capabilities. I do not use the ballistics calc. But I do like the recording capabilities.
From my research pre purchase, I determined that the Photon has better clarity at night and the ATN has better day light clarity.

You seem to be in a quandary but there are really only two choices and it sounds like you have done your research.
My question is. If you are set on NOT getting an ATN then what is stopping you from getting the Photon??

just trying to decide..i think the deciding factor is customer service and am leaning toward the photon..quite frankly,jason has been a stand up guy..which is customer service..he really didnt k now for sure if i was going to buy a photon..but he ansewered all my questions..plus he sounds like an awesome daddy..lol

Re: sightmark photon [Re: mow] #7095339 02/28/18 01:47 AM
M
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Did you just leave somebody a voicemail on the internet?

Re: sightmark photon [Re: Midwaytmm] #7095443 02/28/18 03:06 AM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Did you just leave somebody a voicemail on the internet?

nope..slowly read this..I..T..S.. C..A..L..L..E...D..C..O..M..M..U..N..I..C..A..T..I..N..G

banana

Last edited by mow; 02/28/18 03:07 AM.
Re: sightmark photon [Re: mow] #7095601 02/28/18 06:22 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Thanks Mow I appreciate the kind words, that means a lot. Sorry we played phone tag today.

I think the X-Sights do have a couple nice features that are better than the Photon, even over the new RT's. Namely the full color daytime mode is really nice. Compared to the black and white image on the Photon, the X-Sight wins there for sure. Also, the X-Sight has an incremental digital zoom. The XT Photons were fixed magnification and the RT's have a 2x digital zoom but it's literally 2x, all or nothing, not incremental. So if you use the zoom on the 4.5x it goes to 9x and the 6.5x doubles to 13x. That is a huge jump on both models I find it almost useless.

Other than those two things, I really think the Photon RT's win the other battles. They have a super bright built in IR, better on battery life, more battery options since you can use the DNV rechargeable battery packs OR a USB external battery pack, better image quality at night, much easier to use and amazing customer service.

I'm not an ATN fan for all the same reasons that have been mentioned 1,000x before but for some people, the X-Sight is a good choice. I have customers who bought X-Sights from me and they love them. I just want people to know what they are buying before they get it. If people understand the risks, hey it's their money and we all like different things. But at the end of the day, I'm a Sightmark fan because of the simplicity, reliability and customer service. Those 3 things are worth a lot to me.

- Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: sightmark photon [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #7095902 02/28/18 02:43 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Outdoor Legacy Gear
Thanks Mow I appreciate the kind words, that means a lot. Sorry we played phone tag today.

I think the X-Sights do have a couple nice features that are better than the Photon, even over the new RT's. Namely the full color daytime mode is really nice. Compared to the black and white image on the Photon, the X-Sight wins there for sure. Also, the X-Sight has an incremental digital zoom. The XT Photons were fixed magnification and the RT's have a 2x digital zoom but it's literally 2x, all or nothing, not incremental. So if you use the zoom on the 4.5x it goes to 9x and the 6.5x doubles to 13x. That is a huge jump on both models I find it almost useless.

Other than those two things, I really think the Photon RT's win the other battles. They have a super bright built in IR, better on battery life, more battery options since you can use the DNV rechargeable battery packs OR a USB external battery pack, better image quality at night, much easier to use and amazing customer service.

I'm not an ATN fan for all the same reasons that have been mentioned 1,000x before but for some people, the X-Sight is a good choice. I have customers who bought X-Sights from me and they love them. I just want people to know what they are buying before they get it. If people understand the risks, hey it's their money and we all like different things. But at the end of the day, I'm a Sightmark fan because of the simplicity, reliability and customer service. Those 3 things are worth a lot to me.

- Jason

I concur. With products so similar yet unique in their own ways it makes for a difficult choice for the consumer.
The ATN is certainly a battery hog but the external battery has been a tremendous addition. Not sure what the weight differences are but with the external battery and a 20 round mag in my AR15, this gun now weighs 11.5 pounds. A tripod was a must for a nights worth of hunting.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: sightmark photon [Re: pegasaurus] #7099005 03/02/18 07:57 PM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: pegasaurus

decided to get the new rt series..when jason gets them in stock..jason from outdoor legacy is awesome at customer service..man of his word!

Last edited by mow; 03/02/18 07:57 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide