Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,997
Posts9,719,287
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Anyone else see the recent news report on ghost guns? #7079327 02/15/18 06:32 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I'll admit I can be the last one to join the party, but I previously knew nothing about how convicted felons can easily get their hands on an unregistered firearm.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/law-enforcement-struggling-to-combat-unregulated-diy-ghost-guns/

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/15/18 06:32 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Anyone else see the recent news report on ghost guns? [Re: Texas Dan] #7079343 02/15/18 09:48 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
The vast majority of guns in felons hands are not ghost guns. This doesn’t change a dang thing. It’s just another piece of a falling sky in the minds of gun phobics.

Re: Anyone else see the recent news report on ghost guns? [Re: Texas Dan] #7079368 02/15/18 11:59 AM
B
Bar-D Online Mad
Veteran Tracker
Online Mad
Veteran Tracker
B
IMO, gun control fanatics are just looking for other angles to introduce more useless restrictions. "Ghost guns" is a popular catchword with them, as is "30 caliber magazine clip that can fire a hundred rounds per second". The fact is that most crimes are committed by people with guns stolen in other crimes and sold on the street, often times with the serial number obliterated. It makes me sick to my stomach every time there is a mass shooting such as the one yesterday in Florida but even if they pass more gun laws, is there really any way to stop an obviously unbalanced person from committing mass murder? Are they going to outlaw trucks and cars too? My take is too many people have been desensitized to destroying life, IE, shoot 'em up video games, all these Zombie apocalypse tv shows and movis, etc, and respect and empathy for others is nearly non existant compared to what it was when I was growing up. What is the answer to these sensless shootings? I don't know. I do know that too many self righteous people think if you are a gun owner, you are just waiting for your chance to commit mayhem and they have no desire to see the difference in legal gun ownership and demented killers.

Last edited by bar-d; 02/15/18 12:02 PM.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Anyone else see the recent news report on ghost guns? [Re: Texas Dan] #7079388 02/15/18 12:27 PM
T
Teal28 Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
T
agree most guns used in crime are stolen. "Ghost gun" is anti gun catch phrase.

Last edited by Teal28; 02/15/18 12:27 PM.

Re: Anyone else see the recent news report on ghost guns? [Re: Texas Dan] #7079639 02/15/18 03:59 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
"untraceable gun"....Seems to me by the time you need to figure out where it came from the guns origin is a moot point.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Anyone else see the recent news report on ghost guns? [Re: Texas Dan] #7079718 02/15/18 04:56 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
can easily get their hands on an unregistered firearm.

All mine are unregistered. Due to current federal and state law it is not required. The day we are required to register them is the day before they start confiscation. Oops, I just dropped all mine over the side of the boat, dang it.

Last edited by garyrapp55; 02/15/18 04:57 PM.
Re: Anyone else see the recent news report on ghost guns? [Re: Texas Dan] #7079724 02/15/18 05:00 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Private party gun sales make it very easy for any adult to buy a gun in many states.

I have purchased pistols, revolvers, rifles and a shotgun from private sellers on this site and TGT. Not one of those transactions required anything more than a glance at my Texas drivers license and a handshake. Half of them didn't even require showing my license.

Said it before, but watch all of the waaay overpriced gun sales on Texas Gun Trader. Why do you suppose some people are willing to pay more than the new price for used guns? People who can't pass a background check can effortlessly by lots of guns by paying a little more.

Marc

Last edited by Marc in Bastrop; 02/15/18 05:01 PM.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Anyone else see the recent news report on ghost guns? [Re: Marc K] #7080155 02/15/18 10:05 PM
C
Charlieb68 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: Marc in Bastrop
Private party gun sales make it very easy for any adult to buy a gun in many states.

I have purchased pistols, revolvers, rifles and a shotgun from private sellers on this site and TGT. Not one of those transactions required anything more than a glance at my Texas drivers license and a handshake. Half of them didn't even require showing my license.

Said it before, but watch all of the waaay overpriced gun sales on Texas Gun Trader. Why do you suppose some people are willing to pay more than the new price for used guns? People who can't pass a background check can effortlessly by lots of guns by paying a little more.

Marc

Absolutely correct. They can also stand outside a gun show and privately purchase firearms with no previous contact with an individual seller. If a person prohibited from owning a gun wants a gun, they will get it one way or another, without going through a NICS check.

Re: Anyone else see the recent news report on ghost guns? [Re: Charlieb68] #7080343 02/16/18 12:01 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Charlieb68

Marc

Absolutely correct. They can also stand outside a gun show and privately purchase firearms with no previous contact with an individual seller. If a person prohibited from owning a gun wants a gun, they will get it one way or another, without going through a NICS check.

No gun is ever sold by a manufacturer without the name of the original buyer being recorded in a database.

Are we approaching the day when guns are treated like registered vehicles? If you sell a car today that's registered in your name, you should always notify the state of who bought it.

Re: Anyone else see the recent news report on ghost guns? [Re: Texas Dan] #7080486 02/16/18 01:54 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Dan,

I suspect that Universal Background Checks are coming - if not registration tracking like cars in your example. It will probably happen because it is a "feel good" thing for people who lack critical thinking skills.

It is obvious that it would do nothing to reduce the slaughter. As chalet already said, finding out where the gun came from after the fact is moot - when looking at the carnage. Guns have always been here, but mass murders of school children (for example) have not.

Some will argue that this country refuses to face the fact that we have a mental illness problem instead of a gun problem.

I would argue that we are seeing the "new normal" because of a persistent and profound loss of a moral compass in large segments of our society. We can argue for days about "why" - but it is painfully obvious that it is happening.

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Anyone else see the recent news report on ghost guns? [Re: Marc K] #7080562 02/16/18 02:40 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Dan,

I suspect that Universal Background Checks are coming - if not registration tracking like cars in your example. It will probably happen because it is a "feel good" thing for people who lack critical thinking skills.

It is obvious that it would do nothing to reduce the slaughter. As chalet already said, finding out where the gun came from after the fact is moot - when looking at the carnage. Guns have always been here, but mass murders of school children (for example) have not.

Some will argue that this country refuses to face the fact that we have a mental illness problem instead of a gun problem.

I would argue that we are seeing the "new normal" because of a persistent and profound loss of a moral compass in large segments of our society. We can argue for days about "why" - but it is painfully obvious that it is happening.

Marc

It’s a mental health issue. When was the last time a healthy, sane person woke up and decided, “lm going to go shoot up an elementary/middle/high school; nightclub; etc”??

Trying to blame instances like this on anything other than mental health is asinine. We really must reposition ourselves on the issue of mental healthcare.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Anyone else see the recent news report on ghost guns? [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7080720 02/16/18 05:44 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
It’s a mental health issue. When was the last time a healthy, sane person woke up and decided, “lm going to go shoot up an elementary/middle/high school; nightclub; etc”??

I'm of the opinion at least some of these killers were completely sane and knew exactly what they were doing - following a different moral compass.

This killer reportedly told a friend to get lost because it's about to get messy. That sounds like a person who is completely in charge of their actions and very aware of the human carnage and death they intend to bring on as many people as possible.

We might otherwise say that anyone who has ever robbed a bank must be insane.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/16/18 05:56 AM.

Re: Anyone else see the recent news report on ghost guns? [Re: Texas Dan] #7082133 02/17/18 07:38 AM
A
AISsupply Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
"in charge of their actions and very aware of the human carnage and death they intend to bring on as many people as possible."

That also describes the Unabomber, who was schizophrenic. Its a misconception that insane people are whacko folks not in control of their actions. Many schizophrenics are high IQ and when they attack have specific targets or reasons. Point is just cause they carry out a well planned attack and use some reasoning on where and when doesnt make then sane.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide