Forums46
Topics537,031
Posts9,719,621
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: easttexasdiver] #7060428 01/31/18 08:06 PM
Q
quackedup Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Q
i really like my Browning Maxus. i've had no issues with any shells or any field conditions. i can tell when it needs a cleaning because of an increase in recoil. I clean it and back to new.

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: Guy] #7060737 01/31/18 11:04 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: brennansgrandpa
if the guns are not held tight to the shoulder they can experience mis-loading usually due to the gun not fully cycling properly.

Good point never thought about that, could explain why some shooters have issues with inertia guns. I been shooting an SBE2 since 2008, never had an issue with it and I have shot 1 oz loads to 3.5 inch loads. I only clean it once a year before dove season, I completely abuse this gun, I don't even use a case during hunting season. This year, it got mud in it and started jamming, so I cleaned it in the lake, worked great after that.

I held the benelli so tight I thought I would peel the paint off it....and every other way you could hold it. My hunting buddy shoots a SBE2 and his gun never jams and he never cleans it also. My gun jammed on him also.

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: ndhunter] #7060759 01/31/18 11:20 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: ndhunter
I would recommend the Beretta A400 with Kick Off

I do not think you will find a softer shooting 12 gauge and last time I checked it was the lightest and fastest cycling 12 gauge. Takes me same amount of time to clean my gas and inertia guns.
this, oh did I say this....

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: easttexasdiver] #7060938 02/01/18 01:17 AM
B
bentman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
A400

If it bleeds I can KILL IT
Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: easttexasdiver] #7060993 02/01/18 01:59 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
The guys at Cabelas tried to sell me a Winchester SX4. They seemed to think it was the greatest shotgun ever made and it was pretty nice. I had already made up my mind to buy something else but if I hadn't, I probably would have bought one. At the time, I thought it was too new and a bit of a risk but after reading this thread, it seems that every gun is a risk.

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: brennansgrandpa] #7061037 02/01/18 02:21 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
if the guns are not held tight to the shoulder they can experience mis-loading usually due to the gun not fully cycling properly.

Absolutely correct. With inertia guns you are part of the action. I have both gas and inertia and like both. I use inertia for ducks because it is the one that is camo and use gas for everything else.

I put same amount of effort in to both when it comes to cleaning. Neither my gas or inertia are difficult to break down and clean but I imagine there are some that are.

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: ndhunter] #7061065 02/01/18 02:40 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I put same amount of effort in to both when it comes to cleaning.

Because you are OCD. I’m ADD, so I would put least amount of effort into both. grin

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: Guy] #7061095 02/01/18 03:05 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have a left hand Remington Versamax 28" black synthetic that has never jammed in my 1st year with it. I followed break in procedure that I do with all new guns. I clean all the shipping junk off inside and out. Recoat with teflon oil. Then shoot a box of high brass lead shells thru it, clean it again and all shells cycle fine after that. Did that with a Benelli M2 that was one of the best guns I ever owned. Today I bought a Benelli SBE II new in left hand camo with a 26" barrel. When it gets here I will do the same. Didn't need the Benelli but I wanted it. Bought the shorter barrel for the sandhill hunts in the future and who knows.... maybe a duck hunt some day. I'll need some of you old pros to put me on the X though. grin

Bobby Barnett

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: easttexasdiver] #7061137 02/01/18 03:32 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I own SBEII A300 A400 versamax and old 391

A 400 by far most reliable by far. Don’t look anywhere else. Dropped it totally underwater in the mud 3x this season. Wiped it down last time- forgot to first 2x. Still had tons of moisture in it. Flawless action.

Don’t even consider anything else. Shot 1.5 flats this year and about 1 flat last year-600 rounds or so with zero cycling issues. Rarely clean it.

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: Guy] #7061150 02/01/18 03:45 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I put same amount of effort in to both when it comes to cleaning.

Because you are OCD. I’m ADD, so I would put least amount of effort into both. grin

For someone that don't know how to turn a wrench you sure are a tool

LOL

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: BDB] #7061467 02/01/18 02:15 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BDB

Good point never thought about that, could explain why some shooters have issues with inertia guns. I been shooting an SBE2 since 2008, never had an issue with it and I have shot 1 oz loads to 3.5 inch loads. I only clean it once a year before dove season, I completely abuse this gun, I don't even use a case during hunting season. This year, it got mud in it and started jamming, so I cleaned it in the lake, worked great after that.

I held the benelli so tight I thought I would peel the paint off it....and every other way you could hold it. My hunting buddy shoots a SBE2 and his gun never jams and he never cleans it also. My gun jammed on him also.

That sux, don’t they have a warrentee to cover that? You should have been able to return it.

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: Guy] #7061578 02/01/18 03:17 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

That sux, don’t they have a warrentee to cover that? You should have been able to return it.

I could but in the middle of this season I had enough and didn't want to ship it so I got me an A400. My son will use my benelli for dove this year...never jams on dove loads.

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: BDB] #7061605 02/01/18 03:36 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I could but in the middle of this season I had enough and didn't want to ship it so I got me an A400. My son will use my benelli for dove this year...never jams on dove loads.

I would send it back this offseason, you pay that much money for a gun. I would call them and tell them your story, especially the part about buying A400 and messing up your hunting season. If they are worth their salt, they will take care of it, send you UPS label to print off and ship back to them...

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: Guy] #7061978 02/01/18 08:39 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

I would send it back this offseason, you pay that much money for a gun. I would call them and tell them your story, especially the part about buying A400 and messing up your hunting season. If they are worth their salt, they will take care of it, send you UPS label to print off and ship back to them...

I agree with Guy. I’m not saying I don’t believe you, BDB, I’ve just never heard of something like that happening (with you vs different shooters). Interesting. I would definitely get in touch with Binelli and see if they’ll make it right. It definitely sounds like a lemon.

Last edited by Duck_Hunter; 02/01/18 08:39 PM.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: BDB] #7062148 02/01/18 10:50 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I sold my Benelli and got me a Beretta A400 Extreme. Copuldn't be happier. Benelli makes a good gun but inertia guns can be finicky with certain shooters...like mine was.

Did you clean your gun before you shot it the first time?

I bought my SBE about 15 years ago. The dealer told me to do 2 things.

1. Clean it before I fired the first shell through it
2. Shoot about 50 rounds of 3" duck loads before attempting dove loads.

He claimed the guns came with some type of protective coating on it that needed to be removed before shooting. If I didnt remove it and it heated up from shooting it would be nearly impossible to remove later.

I dont know how true that is, but I know Ive cleaned every semi auto Ive ever bought prior to shooting them the first time and have never had a jammer.

With all that said, dont buy a Beretta Outlander.

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: sprigsss] #7062154 02/01/18 10:56 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: sprigsss
I sold my Benelli and got me a Beretta A400 Extreme. Copuldn't be happier. Benelli makes a good gun but inertia guns can be finicky with certain shooters...like mine was.

He claimed the guns came with some type of protective coating on it that needed to be removed before shooting. If I didnt remove it and it heated up from shooting it would be nearly impossible to remove later.

I dont know how true that is, but I know Ive cleaned every semi auto Ive ever bought prior to shooting them the first time and have never had a jammer.

Exactly!

Bobby Barnett

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: sprigsss] #7062631 02/02/18 05:08 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

There is a nice owners manuel that comes with these guns....nothing mentioned about those procedures you just wrote about. If true thats back on Benelli. But I'm good now...that A400 kicks arse!

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: BDB] #7062896 02/02/18 02:36 PM
G
Guitars&Guns Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
[/quote]

There is a nice owners manuel that comes with these guns....nothing mentioned about those procedures you just wrote about. If true thats back on Benelli. But I'm good now...that A400 kicks arse!

From the SBEII Manual
"WARNING: due to precision machine toler- ances on your shotgun, some breaking-in period may be required before your new gun works perfectly with light target loads. If you experience any initial functioning problems, we recommended firing three or four boxes of standard hunting loads to allow for this break-in period"

Seems to me they give a warning in line with what was said. As for cleaning before initial use, you should make it a standard practice to clean ANY gun before you operate it for the first time.

Last edited by Guitars&Guns; 02/02/18 02:37 PM.
Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: Guitars&Guns] #7062910 02/02/18 02:45 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Seems like I also remember reading that it is shipped with a pretecive oil that needs to be removed. Been 10 years though, but all this sounds familiar.

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: easttexasdiver] #7062935 02/02/18 03:01 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I have an uncle with 4 sons and another uncle with 2 sons. One year for Christmas they bought all 6 boys a new Browning Gold semi-auto.

4 of my cousins hunted a lot and shot them straight out of the box. All had issues down the road, they performed find the intial hunt or two.

I told them what I was told and when my other 2 cousins showed up to the hunting lease, they cleaned their guns prior to shooting. They never had an issue.

So its up to you. You can follow the manual exactly as written, or listen to others that have past experience with these situations. Its completely up to you.

I was told the residue hardens into a tar or resin like substance and is extremely difficult to remove once hardens. Gun dealer I bought gun from offered to clean it for me for $20, said if I fired 1 shell through it he would charge me $50.

From those moments on, I'd rather take the extra precaution and give my gun a quick cleaning with a good solvent. It takes 5 minutes. 4 semi-autos later, it seems to work.

Your gun, your choice.

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: sprigsss] #7062939 02/02/18 03:04 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N

Guns are sometimes coated with Cosmoline which is a rust inhibitor, that is probably what the dealer was referring to.

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: sprigsss] #7062948 02/02/18 03:11 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I have an uncle with 4 sons and another uncle with 2 sons. One year for Christmas they bought all 6 boys a new Browning Gold semi-auto.

4 of my cousins hunted a lot and shot them straight out of the box. All had issues down the road, they performed find the intial hunt or two.

I told them what I was told and when my other 2 cousins showed up to the hunting lease, they cleaned their guns prior to shooting. They never had an issue.

So its up to you. You can follow the manual exactly as written, or listen to others that have past experience with these situations. Its completely up to you.

I was told the residue hardens into a tar or resin like substance and is extremely difficult to remove once hardens. Gun dealer I bought gun from offered to clean it for me for $20, said if I fired 1 shell through it he would charge me $50.

From those moments on, I'd rather take the extra precaution and give my gun a quick cleaning with a good solvent. It takes 5 minutes. 4 semi-autos later, it seems to work.

Your gun, your choice.

You seem frustrated. Fear not he made the correct decision, he bought a Beretta.

Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: ndhunter] #7062965 02/02/18 03:22 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

You seem frustrated. Fear not he made the correct decision, he bought a Beretta.

Nope, my guns perform flawlessly.

Between my son and I, we have Remingtons, a Benelli, a Berreta, and Brownings.

The Beretta Outlander is my only regret. Difficult to reassemble for my son, and it kicks both shells out the tube everytime he unloads at the end of a hunt. He shoots it extremely well though and doesn't have that issue when shooting.

Last edited by sprigsss; 02/02/18 03:24 PM.
Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: Guitars&Guns] #7063142 02/02/18 05:14 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Guitars&Guns
[/quote]

From the SBEII Manual
"WARNING: due to precision machine toler- ances on your shotgun, some breaking-in period may be required before your new gun works perfectly with light target loads. If you experience any initial functioning problems, we recommended firing three or four boxes of standard hunting loads to allow for this break-in period"

Seems to me they give a warning in line with what was said. As for cleaning before initial use, you should make it a standard practice to clean ANY gun before you operate it for the first time.

I didn’t mention this because it seemed BDB would’ve read the manual and really tried to give the gun every chance and tested it thoroughly. I honestly thought he got a lemon.

I have a Stoeger and the manual gives a similar warning and advice.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: I have inertia guns......looking for a gas operated [Re: Guitars&Guns] #7063236 02/02/18 06:24 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Guitars&Guns
[/quote]

From the SBEII Manual

Your joking right? What was described in my quote with what you just reprinted from the Manuel are NOTHING alike. It even states "standard" loads. I cleaned the gun then proceeded to shoot 8 limits plus all the misses of dove my first season. So I would imagine I broke the gun in lol. In case you missed it, dove loads never jammed in my benelli...just duck loads which is [censored] backwards to the norm.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide