Print Thread
Cardio Health #7039754 01/16/18 04:19 AM
P
Paluxy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
What factors affect heart health and is the primary cause that leads to high blood pressure? Seems red meat, eggs and other high cholesterol foods are not believed to be the culprit now. Lack of exercise, processed foods, trans fats? Is see overweight people without significant cardio/heart problems and slim people with really bad problems.

Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7040016 01/16/18 02:50 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Hancock
What factors affect heart health and is the primary cause that leads to high blood pressure? Seems red meat, eggs and other high cholesterol foods are not believed to be the culprit now. Lack of exercise, processed foods, trans fats? Is see overweight people without significant cardio/heart problems and slim people with really bad problems.

Genetics, genetics, genetics. Beyond that poor lifestyle choices impact significantly. Slim people (especially in todays society) are not always the healthiest. Obesity is a clinical diagnosis. Someone can appear "slim" or 'skinny' by some standards and be clinically obese as it is a factor of lean muscle mass to fat mass ratio.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Cardio Health [Re: H2O Seeker] #7040063 01/16/18 03:26 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: H2O Seeker
Genetics, genetics, genetics. Beyond that poor lifestyle choices impact significantly. Slim people (especially in todays society) are not always the healthiest. Obesity is a clinical diagnosis. Someone can appear "slim" or 'skinny' by some standards and be clinically obese as it is a factor of lean muscle mass to fat mass ratio.

Seems to be the most likely answer. A friend and neighbor just had a double bypass after a mild heart attack. He's slim, plays golf daily but has a family history of heart disease. Stress and lack of exercise may be runner ups.

The actual results of low carb/no carb diets seem to have turned decades of medical and dietary advice upside down, along with the food pyramid.

Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7040115 01/16/18 03:55 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I will third the genetics. Its all in the genes.

Then add smoking as a second culprit, diabetes as a third, and a bunch or really rare issues that may be a distant fourth cumulatively.

The ideas we were all fed of high fat diet, low fat diet, etc etc are not accurate for everyone. Some people will respond to one way and others will respond to another way. Really, it is up to the person to figure out for them self what works best for them. Exercise too is very over rated in that the idea of 30 minutes cardio for everyone is not the correct answer. Some respond better to yoga/pilates type where other respond to cardio where others respond to HIT...figure out what works for you

Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7040806 01/16/18 11:57 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
How many of you over 50 are able to keep your BP down without meds? Just turned 55 and mine is creeping up, really hate takings meds and don’t want to get on BP meds.

Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7041700 01/17/18 04:00 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
How many of you over 50 are able to keep your BP down without meds? Just turned 55 and mine is creeping up, really hate takings meds and don’t want to get on BP meds.

I'm 50. BP only gets up when extremely stressed or too much caffeine. Family hx of heart disease, COPD, and diabetes. I watch what I eat 80% of the time and 'cheat' the other 20%. I try to stay as active as possible but to say I get "30 minutes of cardio related exercise a day" would be a lie. Some days I get more some none...and not in the form of running or cycling.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7045133 01/19/18 09:58 PM
K
KeyLymePie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
It seems like its primarily genetics, but lifestyle is still a big factor. I used to know a guy that was a serious 5k/10k runner who kept a pretty strict diet and still had high cholesterol. He was probably a pretty extreme example though. Diet and exercise are the main things we can do about that stuff to help and are still something everyone should pay attention to.

Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7045274 01/19/18 11:40 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I was running several miles almost every day when this author of running books dropped dead running. http://www.nytimes.com/1984/07/24/scienc...?pagewanted=all

That didn't stop me from running though. Now my knees won't allow it, so I use a Nordic Track ski machine and still do light weight lifting.

I don't eat vegetables, like almost none. I eat a ton of peanut butter, not much fatty meat, and drink a lot of milk.

I'm 62, 5'7", and range between 160 and 165 pounds. BP averages 110-115/70-80. My last blood workup looked like I took the best numbers out of thin air and put them on the report. There is a little cardiovascular disease up my blood lines on each side of the family. I could keel over tonight, but so far so good.

Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7045793 01/20/18 01:35 PM
L
LoneStarSon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Genetics, salt intake, genetics, sedentary lifestyle, genetics, smoking, genetics, high intake of bad fats...did anyone mention genetics? I am still overweight, but still losing...and I idle at 112/67. I have good genes from some relatives and really, really bad genes from others....My father's side has a long history of heart issues...and smoking. My mother's side does as well. However, my mom and I both have low normal blood pressure and body temps (I average anywhere from 96.9 to 97.1)...so, yeah...I also eat a healthy diet, just need to continue to work on portion control and carb intake...carbs are the devil for me. I cannot eat more than 50 grams a day if I want to lose weight.

Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7046136 01/20/18 06:11 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Just so we are all clear, the normals are population normals. There is no “normal” for a specific person other than what keeps that person healthy. For some people “normal” BP is too low even if they have no history of high blood pressure, and for some “normal” BP is too high....everyone is different.

If there can be any one take away from this discussion, please realize there is no true “normal” which you can compare yourself to anyone else with. Labs, weight, BP, etc....all depends on the person.

I guess if there are two normals, genetics and smoking. If you have strong family history you are at much higher risk. And you can increase your risk substantially by smoking, or being around someone who smokes all the time.

Re: Cardio Health [Re: Texas buckeye] #7048317 01/22/18 03:09 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Just so we are all clear, the normals are population normals. There is no “normal” for a specific person other than what keeps that person healthy. For some people “normal” BP is too low even if they have no history of high blood pressure, and for some “normal” BP is too high....everyone is different.

If there can be any one take away from this discussion, please realize there is no true “normal” which you can compare yourself to anyone else with. Labs, weight, BP, etc....all depends on the person.

Well put however I suggest to you the following - What is a 'normal' blood pressure reading?

Normal is recognized as 120/80 for "healthy" individuals. From the article - "If you're a healthy adult younger than age 60, or if you have chronic kidney disease, diabetes or coronary artery disease, your treatment goal is less than 140/90 mm Hg. If you're a healthy adult age 60 or older, your treatment goal is less than 150/90 mm Hg."

Too many freak out while waiting in line at the pharmacy and jump in the BP booth that shows a reading of 130/95 and self diagnose as hypertensive and rush off to the physician. If it is the 1st time to read that high it could be any number of factors causing an isolated mini-spike.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7048409 01/22/18 04:00 PM
R
ronlhodges Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I just visited my second heart doctor cause of leg problems . They are telling me i have blockage due to plax buildup from high cholestrol . I had a stint in my main right artery back in 04’ . My first heart doctor tells one thing , my family doctor says another but sends me for an ABI test then on to a second heart doctor . All have changed my cholestrol meds and tells me i need to walk more and exercise more . I’m 63 , be 64 next month . I’m on my feet 10 hours a day and walking but they all say that’s not healthy walking . I need progressive walking outside with a flashlight if needed . In my neighborhood that’s not going to happen ! But they all say watch what i eat , especially my carbs and sugars . That just about covers everything available to eat . SO ..... either i eat healthy or have surgery to fix things which may happen anyway , or take a chance of having a heart attack , or possibly loose a leg because of circular problems or a stroke . Outside of work i walk on the weekends at least a mile but have to rest cause of leg pains about every half mile . Out of all this i believe most is because of hereditary genes cause so far I’m in the best shape of 6 kids in my family and i'm the youngest. So you can read all you want , listen to everyone else but your doctor or refuse to listen to him and face the consequences of the future . If your able to walk or run i suggest you do both as much as you can and eat the best you can . Oh BTW , low carbs help but an apple a day won't help frown . An apple has 34 carbs as it is !!

Last edited by ronlhodges; 01/22/18 04:12 PM.
Re: Cardio Health [Re: H2O Seeker] #7048416 01/22/18 04:02 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
If it is the 1st time to read that high it could be any number of factors causing an isolated mini-spike.

My regular doc got a new PA that was a dang good lookin' very well endowed woman. She grabbed my arm and tucked it under her bosom to take my blood pressure. After taking it she looked at me and asked if I felt OK and then asked if I need to go to the ER. I said I'm fine so she took again. Still high. nuts She said she would come back in 5 minutes to take it again. I was prepared this time and got it mostly back to normal. She blushed once she figured it out.

Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7048441 01/22/18 04:14 PM
J
JTS Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
J
From what I have been reading I agree its not the red meat eggs and other high cholesterol foods. I agree with others that genetic play a big role. It seems that most people are leaning towards inflammation as being the main culprit with heart health, plaque build up etc. With inflammatory foods being sugar, vegetable oils, fried foods, refined flour, artificial sweeteners, alcohol, etc.

Re: Cardio Health [Re: JTS] #7048453 01/22/18 04:20 PM
R
ronlhodges Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: JTS
With inflammatory foods being sugar, vegetable oils, fried foods, refined flour, artificial sweeteners, alcohol, etc.

WHAT ALCOHOL TOO ??!! My heart doctor told me a glass of wine drank in moderation is good for the heart . Since then my heart has been better wink ,.... I feel better !

Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7048494 01/22/18 04:52 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
If it is the 1st time to read that high it could be any number of factors causing an isolated mini-spike.

My regular doc got a new PA that was a dang good lookin' very well endowed woman. She grabbed my arm and tucked it under her bosom to take my blood pressure. After taking it she looked at me and asked if I felt OK and then asked if I need to go to the ER. I said I'm fine so she took again. Still high. nuts She said she would come back in 5 minutes to take it again. I was prepared this time and got it mostly back to normal. She blushed once she figured it out.

eeks333 THAT is awesome...

[Linked Image]
Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7049380 01/23/18 04:09 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

So now besides "White Coat Syndrome" you have "D Cup Syndrome?"

Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7049752 01/23/18 03:34 PM
M
MeanGreen85 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I believe that like stated before, genetics play a key role in cardio health. With that said, I also believe bad genetics are not the sole reason for poor health - they just make it much more likely that your body will punish you for bad lifestyle choices (poor diet, lack of exercise, etc).

For those with heart / cholesterol troubles, I highly recommend a daily supplement called ProFibe. It is a (mostly) tasteless soluble fiber that’s been shown to lower cholesterol. My dad has taken it for years with excellent results. I’ve taken it on and off - just recently added it back to my daily intake.

Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7049979 01/23/18 06:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Cholesterol particle size, the smaller you read, the more prone to calcification

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cardio Health [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7050104 01/23/18 08:24 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Cholesterol particle size, the smaller you read, the more prone to calcification

Interesting. Did a search on this, they may be zeroing in the culprit.

Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7050444 01/24/18 12:24 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Interesting. Did a search on this, they may be zeroing in the culprit.

Simple blood test also.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cardio Health [Re: Paluxy] #7057579 01/29/18 11:08 PM
D
DennisSpencer Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
I regularly do cardio, started with 5-6 km of running a day, now I have reached 15-17 km

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide