Print Thread
Growing/breeding deer and releasing them #7052563 01/25/18 05:00 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
I came across something interesting about hunting trophy deer. I know of 2 situations where a hunter has breed multiple does in a pin from a breeder buck and grown these deer for several years. Then, once they have bred and reproduced a good amount of does and young bucks, they release them onto their low fence property. Hunters on the property are not allowed to shoot does, in case one of the does was a breeder doe. It's strictly a buck only place. How does this effect the "true" scores of these bucks? I wasn't quite sure about all this.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Growing/breeding deer and releasing them [Re: ChadTRG42] #7052600 01/25/18 05:24 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Illegal to release pen raised deer on low-fenced property in Texas. It's done all the time on high-fenced ranches with a DMP permit. The reason it's illegal is under new CWD guidelines, any liberated deer must remain on/in that release site forever.

There could be an exception where you could release deer on a low-fenced pasture under a TTT permit if your numbers are too low, but I'm unsure about that.

Re: Growing/breeding deer and releasing them [Re: ChadTRG42] #7052620 01/25/18 05:41 PM
S
ScrapIron Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
i know years ago it wasnt illegal and i did it. it was a nightmare of paperwork under TTT and i ended up with 9 does trapped from a country club in south texas with unknown genetics, which at that point any introduced genetics in my area wouldve been a plus.
i was so proud of my released does and looking forward to years of trophy bucks for the kids and grandkids due to my excellent idea.

within a month all 9 of them hoes were dead on the highway. why on gods green earth they gravitated over 2 miles to the highway beats me all i could figure was they were so used to people and looking for handouts they were attracted to the car sounds??

Re: Growing/breeding deer and releasing them [Re: ChadTRG42] #7052624 01/25/18 05:47 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Clearly they thought those cars were golf carts.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Growing/breeding deer and releasing them [Re: ScrapIron] #7052632 01/25/18 05:53 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Scrap iron
i know years ago it wasnt illegal and i did it. it was a nightmare of paperwork under TTT and i ended up with 9 does trapped from a country club in south texas with unknown genetics, which at that point any introduced genetics in my area wouldve been a plus.
i was so proud of my released does and looking forward to years of trophy bucks for the kids and grandkids due to my excellent idea.

within a month all 9 of them hoes were dead on the highway. why on gods green earth they gravitated over 2 miles to the highway beats me all i could figure was they were so used to people and looking for handouts they were attracted to the car sounds??

Was the HWY south of you? Many times released deer will head back the direction from which they came. We've TTT twice on our place. Both South Texas ranches and both about 100 miles north of us. All TTT does went straight to our north fence line. Most of them remain in that area today.

Re: Growing/breeding deer and releasing them [Re: fouzman] #7052636 01/25/18 05:57 PM
S
ScrapIron Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: Scrap iron

southeast..probably what happened.
Was the HWY south of you? Many times released deer will head back the direction from which they came. We've TTT twice on our place. Both South Texas ranches and both about 100 miles north of us. All TTT does went straight to our north fence line. Most of them remain in that area today.

Re: Growing/breeding deer and releasing them [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7052698 01/25/18 06:40 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
Clearly they thought those cars were golf carts.
Hahaha....Scrap iron, sorry for your loss. At least you've got a good attitude about it. I found your story humorous, in a sick way. confused2

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Growing/breeding deer and releasing them [Re: ChadTRG42] #7052823 01/25/18 08:30 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
so I see ads all the time on Facebook about "like my bucks, buy my does" ... from some breeder place with HUGE bucks ... so if I bought some bred does, I couldn't just take them out to my ranch and release them in the middle without some additional paperwork?

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Growing/breeding deer and releasing them [Re: ChadTRG42] #7052828 01/25/18 08:36 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
So, how does this effect your B&C and P&Y scores? It's still a low fence deer, but the free range part of it changed it up. It seems to me things are getting tainted a little bit.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Growing/breeding deer and releasing them [Re: ChadTRG42] #7052957 01/25/18 10:28 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
ya think? clap

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Growing/breeding deer and releasing them [Re: PMK] #7053036 01/25/18 11:45 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: PMK
so I see ads all the time on Facebook about "like my bucks, buy my does" ... from some breeder place with HUGE bucks ... so if I bought some bred does, I couldn't just take them out to my ranch and release them in the middle without some additional paperwork?

Not if it's low-fenced. If it's high-fenced you can, but you'll still have to do the paperwork and get the permits on the front end, before they're released. A good, established biologist or breeder should handle all that paperwork for you.

Chad, as far as affecting gross antler scores, why else would one do it? If done right and for an extended period of consecutive years, yes, the genetic make up of the herd will have been mixed up and should improve. That can translate to larger bucks. However, it would be a virtually fruitless endeavor on low-fenced country, imo. The gain for the time and $ expended just isn't there.

I think you can rest easy knowing that any free ranging whitetail you kill in Texas will be just that, without a hint of "taint". Escaped 'super deer' don't happen with enough frequency to have any impact.

Re: Growing/breeding deer and releasing them [Re: ChadTRG42] #7053054 01/25/18 11:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don’t believe he’s talking about breeding effects, but the released bucks themselves.
Obviously, a pen-raised buck released and then killed outside the pen is tainted.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Growing/breeding deer and releasing them [Re: ChadTRG42] #7053245 01/26/18 02:48 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If B&C knows or finds out it is a pen raised buck, it will not be eligible the way I understand it. I killed a 212" typical mule deer in Sonora about 10 yrs ago. When I entered it, they asked many, many questions about the hunt, the ranch, the kill, etc. Probably because there are quite a few places in MX that grow giant mulies in a fence, then release them for some lardass to come shoot and take hero pics.

SCI could care less, which comes as no surprise.

Last edited by Jgraider; 01/26/18 02:49 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide