Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,585
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem #7039770 01/16/18 04:37 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Seems like this is their answer to our hog over population.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7039775 01/16/18 04:48 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
What are you talking about?

The Cajuns can't even take care of their own hog problems. They have just passed legislation to allow hunting after dark come March 1 because their hogs are out of control.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7039792 01/16/18 05:17 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
popcorn

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7039898 01/16/18 01:05 PM
R
Retired Sgt. Gilliam Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Fake news? Fake post? Explain

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7039950 01/16/18 02:05 PM
J
Jaydub Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Some of us have been here for years...

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7039954 01/16/18 02:05 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
The only thing I can find mentioning hogs and the "Cajun Navy" is this article and it says nothing about Texas bringing them in to control hogs. It just says if we want to make hunting worthwhile to out-of-staters like them, that we should lower the license fee.
https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2018/01/09/texas-must-get-grip-wild-hog-problem

Just how it is that a bunch of boat owners are going to help with hogs is beyond me. It isn't like Texas doesn't have its own boat owners, LOL.

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7040106 01/16/18 03:49 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
That article is wrought with misinformation. Good journalism is impossible to find these days.

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: CharlieCTx] #7040112 01/16/18 03:52 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
popcorn

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7040119 01/16/18 03:57 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I'm already here! Trying to do my part, in the Cajun Navy ready reserves, special forces unit, stationed at their remote base in Flower Mound. smile

Me and my bateau during Harvey.

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: dfwroadkill] #7040124 01/16/18 04:02 PM
J
Jaydub Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
That article is wrought with misinformation. Good journalism is impossible to find these days.

What was incorrect? Not arguing, just want to know your opinion.

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7040135 01/16/18 04:10 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Serious question...... when they say estimated $ damages how is this calculated? I know how much they tear up here local. But is it figured by how much it would cost to hire pasture leveling done? How much fuel you burn doing it yourself? Loss of crops at subsidized market value? Ect ect ...... as for the real problem, it’s money. Lots of landowners figuring out you can charge people to come kill them. And if people will pay, they damn sure don’t want to wipe them out. They might not say it out loud, but it’s the truth. The places we hunt here want them gone period. But we’ve had neighbors complain to us that if we’d shoot them all , their grandkids friends ect won’t have any to shoot, and could we back off? Have had other landowners approach us about “guiding” on their property. They’d let us if we shared money. We don’t do that , but glad to help if you’d like. Poison was a good idea, but hunting industry is big business. My prediction is it will get a whole lot worse. Everyone buying i2/thermal now. They’re going to want to use it. Wont be long until “pig hunting leases” start popping up .

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Jaydub] #7040237 01/16/18 04:59 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Jaydub

Busy right now. Will try to respond later.

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7040271 01/16/18 05:14 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Well Midwaytmm, that would be a question for the folks who do damage estimates. The estimates are many years out of date and I believe they predate what is said in the article.

1. Damage estimate years out of date, but that was what is was when last assessed.
2. While pigs can have 2 litters per year? They can actually have 3, but typically have 3 every 2 years in the wild. Litter sizes can go up to 12 from what we have seen based on gutting pregnant sows.
3. It is claimed that pigs are mostly nocturnal. Actually, they are a diurnal animal that has been forced into nocturnal activity due to hunting pressure.
4. 79% of land mass is suitable environment for hogs? I have yet to see any place that wasn't suitable that wasn't flooded.
5. They descended from the hogs of European settlers in the 1500s? Maybe some have, but every colonial group that came since then has brought hogs and free ranged them and they continued to be free ranged in some areas until the 1960s (that I know of) and free ranging allows for hogs to escape. Our ferals are not just from the 1500s.
6. Feral hogs don't have many natural predators? They actually do. We killed off most of them. Wolves, bears, mountain lions, alligators all enjoy eating hogs.
7. The estimate for hogs in Texas, 2-3 million, goes back to 2005. Considering that the rate of growth is around 20% according to biologists, we should have many times that many in Texas, alone.
8. LET's DO SOMETHING? Calling in hunters from other states is just a stupid idea that is being couched in patriotism of the Republic of Texas. First of all, of the states noted, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Oklahoma, and New Mexico all have hog problems of their own that they do not have under control. They need all their own hunters and can't afford to be shipping them off to handle the issue elsewhere.
9. Let's draw on TPWD because this is a game management issue? By law, hogs are not a game animal, but an exotic. TPWD is already involved. They do not need to budget programs to making hunting sustainable. The problem isn't that it isn't sustainable, but that it exists far in excess of what is needed to be sustainable.
10. Build consumer demand for this pork - This sounds like a marketing scheme. We already know about pork. However, such a program will have to come with all the appropriate warnings about pork as well.
11. Lower out of state rates for hunter licenses? I seriously doubt a $48 5 day license is what is keeping out of state hunters away. Charging $10 instead of $48 does little to offset the overall expenses these hunters incur.
12. Build a database of places to hunt hogs include private landowners. Novel idea. Since we are on the reduced cost concept, these would be free places to hunt? Maybe we should open those up to Texas natives first. After all, free places to hunt is something we all want. However, how many landowners are going to open their properties to strangers to go around shooting at night? This is often something accomplished by building trust with landowners. I take it that Art Young, the author, isn't a landowner with a big sign in front of his place that reads "Hunters Welcome. Hunt Hogs Here For Free."

Given that Art Young wants various listings for things, I take it that he is not a hog hunter himself. Some of the information he is requesting is already available online.

13. I found it interesting that Art Young wants to cut license fees to the limited number of out-of-state hunters, but wants TPWD and anyone else to budget programs to help these hunters come to Texas. First, if you want to make hunting less costly, why would not extend such an offer to locals, first? Second, if you are cutting license fees and such to make hog hunting more desired, where is the money going to come from to fund these efforts to bring in more hunters? You can't cut funding and spend more money and expect to have a sustainable program.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 01/16/18 05:16 PM.

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7040307 01/16/18 05:33 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Well Midwaytmm, that would be a question for the folks who do damage estimates. The estimates are many years out of date and I believe they predate what is said in the article.

You can't cut funding and spend more money and expect to have a sustainable program.

Why not? The state can request money from the Federal govt. which will borrow more from China, and the next generation will pay for it. Happens all the time. I'm not saying it's a good plan.

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7040534 01/16/18 08:28 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
It is an interesting paradigm on the Nutria infestation in La and hogs here, big difference I guess is most of the Nutria damage isn't scattered far and wide like we have with hogs. The fur trappers and a tail bounty have done a better job of checking the population vs here which is interesting given most everyone eats pork. Louisiana tried stimulating demand to eat Nutria by getting John Folse and other chefs to get on TV and cook 'em on his show, come up with recipes, etc. At the end of the day, people could smell the rat in that strategy. wink

There are alot of people, including landowners in Texas trying to make $ on the hog problem. It's definitely a problem for some but not all. There's universal hatred of nutrias back home.

I would think that more interest by the state in stepping up interest in shooting/trapping/etc. would help as it has done in La. I'd take a minute to whack a few tails if there was somewhere reasonably close to bring them if I could get $ for each. I don't know enough about the regulation on meat sales to comment. I also don't think the cost of an out-of-state license is a deterrent for anyone to come down.

I just don't want the poison route to get any traction!

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7040854 01/17/18 12:33 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I do not think we have a hog problem. Everyone wants hogs, they are good for $$$.
I have seen too many farmers belly ache about hogs destroying crops, when I have offered to come help they start talking price per gun, per hog, per night, etc. I asked one why he didn't trap the hogs, he admitted hunters will pay more than his losses. I really do not think that many "really" want to completely get rid of them. We decided that we no longer wanted hogs, we fenced them out (yes this is possible) 9 years ago. Then aggressively trapped and killed those that were left, and haven't seen one since, on this side of the fence.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7040901 01/17/18 12:59 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
On a personal level many may want them gone, the big picture is that it is quite a lucrative industry, in the billions of $.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7040945 01/17/18 01:23 AM
R
Retired Sgt. Gilliam Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I don't pay to hunt hogs. All my properties are people that want them gone.

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: garyrapp55] #7040993 01/17/18 01:53 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: garyrapp55

You can't cut funding and spend more money and expect to have a sustainable program.

Why not? The state can request money from the Federal govt. which will borrow more from China, and the next generation will pay for it. Happens all the time. I'm not saying it's a good plan.

It is not sustainable if being if sustained on credit. Far too many people don't understand this.

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7042933 01/18/18 02:21 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Good reply's guys

So many areas to talk about. Seems to me Hogs are a Cash Crop. If people will pay to hunt them , then its business. Personally, I wouldn't pay a dime to hunt them but that's because I'm not mad at them enough to stay up all night to maybe see one. I have 2 places near Lake Fork I can go any time for free but all game cameras pictures show them midnight to 4:00am. I'm not going to do it.

I think the article I was referring to was the big cities RE; Dallas, where the hogs are tearing up golf courses, parks, places where you really cant set up a hide with a high power rifle.

My beef was "Dallas" brining in people from Out Of State to kill them, when we have a few million hunters in the area who would do it. Cajun Navy, made themselves "famous" with Harvey. So "They" must be the only ones who could cure the hog problems in Urban areas. BS bolt

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7042983 01/18/18 02:41 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Apparently Dale Hansen (Dallas sports reporter) should have called for backup. He broke his ankle chasing hogs off his property in Waxahachie Tuesday night.

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7043016 01/18/18 03:03 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
I do not see hogs as a cash crop. I used to not mind them in fact enjoyed having something more to hunt. Now, I'm tired of them tearing up my land. I only have 30 acres and don't see big money to be made off hunters. I do not live on this land and question allowing hunters I don't know being on it. Can't imagine there aren't lots of others like me. Neighbors around my property run cattle and don't want unknown hunters on there place either. Can't imagine there aren't lots of others like them. Seems to me hogs are a problem, not a gold mine. If I'm mistaken, please explain how I can make money off the hog infested property I own, my family sure could use it.

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7043065 01/18/18 03:42 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Seems to me hogs are a problem, not a gold mine. If I'm mistaken, please explain how I can make money off the hog infested property I own, my family sure could use it.

Well, it is both.

30 acres isn't much to work with. For your situation, I would consider setting up a feeder and stand in a location where a shooter would not be apt to shoot off your property (which could be easy given its small size, and illegal) and wait for the hogs to start showing up. Once they do, sell hunts for one weekend a month so as to not over pressure the hogs away from your property. Charge $100 per hunter plus 2 bags of corn or a night of hunting and if they don't have hogs come in the first night (your game camera will tell you if anything showed up or not), let them hunt the second night for free. Assuming you have hogs coming regularly and sell the one hunt per month, you could be making in profit territory in just a few months.

Ideally, set up your stand where the prevailing winds will be in the hunter's favor, ideally 50-100 yards away for rifle hunters.

Or, set up a stand 15-20 yards away and market it to bow or pistol hunters.

Don't see hunts when you don't have any hogs showing up on camera. Have images on hand to show hunters the hogs you have coming in to the feeder.

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7043147 01/18/18 04:22 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I have not thought about doing that, but I bet I could sell an every other weekend hunt for two on my place and still have them coming in every night. Have them hunt on Friday night and then if they don't get a shot opportunity, let them hunt for free Saturday night. As you said the camera's will tell if the hogs came in and they were asleep in the stands. lol. I could use an extra $400 a month and I could use getting rid of some hogs.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7043156 01/18/18 04:26 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Quote:
Seems to me hogs are a problem, not a gold mine. If I'm mistaken, please explain how I can make money off the hog infested property I own, my family sure could use it.

Well, it is both.

30 acres isn't much to work with. For your situation, I would consider setting up a feeder and stand in a location where a shooter would not be apt to shoot off your property (which could be easy given its small size, and illegal) and wait for the hogs to start showing up. Once they do, sell hunts for one weekend a month so as to not over pressure the hogs away from your property. Charge $100 per hunter plus 2 bags of corn or a night of hunting and if they don't have hogs come in the first night (your game camera will tell you if anything showed up or not), let them hunt the second night for free. Assuming you have hogs coming regularly and sell the one hunt per month, you could be making in profit territory in just a few months.

Ideally, set up your stand where the prevailing winds will be in the hunter's favor, ideally 50-100 yards away for rifle hunters.

Or, set up a stand 15-20 yards away and market it to bow or pistol hunters.

Don't see hunts when you don't have any hogs showing up on camera. Have images on hand to show hunters the hogs you have coming in to the feeder.

The feeder/ambush zone is in place and has proven effective for years. No problems there. The problem is, and is the same for those with cows, is the concern of selling a hunt to some trigger happy dumb*ss. Would also be problematic getting keys to paid hunter at a place that is 2.5 hours away from my home. I guess I could lease to dfw only hunters, but what a liability to take on. I'm nervous.

Last edited by garyrapp55; 01/18/18 04:30 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide