Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,999
Posts9,719,315
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Best attractant for deer - Spin cast - food plot - tube type #7037288 01/14/18 12:57 AM
J
joey1968 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
Planning for next year to attract and keep deer.

To be considered:

Neighbor has a minimal amount of cattle on my property to help with my ag exemption so take in mind I will either need to fence off or suffer the ravages of cattle destroying/eating the food. Property is 100 + acres, mostly open property, in central Texas (Comanche County) with 2 wooded draws and 3 ponds, rest open. Rolling, approximately 80 open/20 wooded acres, with woods primarily on 2 ravines and surrounding edge of ponds. Ravines spaced up and down the properties.

Surrounding property is mostly open cattle/farmland, 500 +- acres. Sadly, poachers were spotted on my large, cattle neighbor property this year. Other side, small homestead. Other than wild card of poachers, surrounding property receive little to no hunting pressure.

With layout as best described, what is most effective way - cost wise and effective wise - to attract and keep deer to my property.

1. Spin caster? What I have been using. But is wasteful and have to fill often. Most deer have been coming at night and I have put a 2 strand around to protect, but"something" has destroyed my feeders 5 times this year - 2 repairable. "Things" perch on my solar wires and disconnect them, draining batteries. Set on spin for 2x's - morning and afternoon -and I find them malfunctioning 75% of time, spraying once on setting, if at all. Mostly due to crud covering the sensors which require me to clean.

2. Food plot? Neighbor next and across the road have fields but they have to cross woods or roads to get to me. Big concern. Do I need to fence for the cattle? How big of a food plot? I had a property in S. Texas where neighbor had a field for his stock calves and the field was "ON like donkey kong" mostly 15 minutes before sunset. I sat and drooled, hoping one of them hoped the fence from the highlight reel, but my neighbors have crop fields separated by woods or roads.

3. Tube or trough feeders? I can see that they will eat only when there, but what if there is one local or "porky" deer or fat birds that take advantage? Boom or bust? Never used. Dont know cost in relations to #1. This one is primary reason for question.

Thank you for your feedback. Didn't score on 2017, but there are some good ones... one that did not jump fence! AR county, did have one in daylight but didn't pull trigger because wasnt certain! Lots of nightime activity on camera.

If it matters, I am about 230 miles away - Houston area, and could go out every other weekend, for consideration. Minimal cattle will be there for 2018 for AG exemption.

Thank you all, and hopes to Happy and Successful 2018 for you all!

Last edited by joey1968; 01/14/18 01:16 AM.
Re: Best attractant for deer - Spin cast - food plot - tube type [Re: joey1968] #7037409 01/14/18 02:20 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Spincast . Not sure what you had but sounds like poor quality and there is a bunch out there.

http://ranchkingblinds.com/feeders/mighty-buck-feeder/

If you don't get out much get the 1000

Build a pen from hog panels or make your cow guy do it. Make the pen pretty big

Re: Best attractant for deer - Spin cast - food plot - tube type [Re: joey1968] #7037714 01/14/18 02:25 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Spin cast for sure, just get a quality one and put a solar panel on it to keep it charged, and a wire cage to keep the critters at bay, but be advised, you will still feed every bird and critter in the county as well as deer.
Set feeding times and amount can be helpful and keep cost down.
The main thing is deer will know it's there when they hear it go off, and they are easy to pattern.
Any other feeder is a waste of time and money.

My feeder barrel has a wire basket that wraps around the bottom of the barrel and extends down below the feeder unit with about 1" wire spacing. It's heavy enough wire that coons and other animals can't bend it. It's got a door that allows entry to the unit, and all the wires except the solar panel are protected from the critters.
Yes, it will restrict some broadcasting of the corn, but not enough to discourage the deer.
It runs nonstop year after year, and cows can bump it but not hurt it. Cows and hogs are our menace but so far the feeder has held up. 2nd season going on third on this last battery.

Last edited by Jimbo; 01/14/18 02:47 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide