Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Way To Close [Re: Stub] #7011849 12/26/17 03:34 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
OK so now we know that when you hunt a blind you can only look and hunt out of the "main" window and if this "main" window is overlooking the neighbors property then the blind "is hunting" the neighbors property. What a load... hammer

Everyone is talking about this dude setting his stand back more into the property. Well, what will that do? He can still shoot deer that come from the neighbors property. He can still look over the neighbors fence and see whats walking over there. You really think 100 yards or more will make a difference in either of those concerns? And I don't have a clue what else is out there, but based on the pics here the terrain looks pretty wooded, so I don't think there would be "plenty of spaces" to place another feeder and stand without doing some serious clearing, which maybe he isn't allowed to do as a lease member.

I just don't understand why you all are bent out of shape over the direction of this guys stand. Maybe that's just the way it went up and he can't move it. Not everyone has access to tractors and trucks and maybe the lease members put up the stand and couldn't move it again? It is metal after all, not wood. but even if wood it would still require a vehicle to move it. Maybe the guy is a new hunter and doesn't know you can move stands with vehicles. I don't know. But until someone talks to him in a civil manner no one will know why he wants to have his "main" window facing into the neighbors land.

All the responses keep coming back to the blind "facing" the wrong direction...would it matter if the stairs were facing the fence? After all there is a window on the door, so the dude could still see and shoot toward the fence. Or is the issue really the set back that everyone wants? No one has given me an answer on what a "polite" set back should be, but there have been several comments on this as well...

So what is it, the view into the neighbors land or the set back? Or is it truly both?

Re: Way To Close [Re: Stub] #7011851 12/26/17 03:34 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I think I would electrify the fence.

The Federal Government cannot give anything to anyone, that it has not first taken from someone else.
Re: Way To Close [Re: Texas buckeye] #7011852 12/26/17 03:35 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
OK so now we know that when you hunt a blind you can only look and hunt out of the "main" window and if this "main" window is overlooking the neighbors property then the blind "is hunting" the neighbors property. What a load... hammer

Everyone is talking about this dude setting his stand back more into the property. Well, what will that do? He can still shoot deer that come from the neighbors property. He can still look over the neighbors fence and see whats walking over there. You really think 100 yards or more will make a difference in either of those concerns? And I don't have a clue what else is out there, but based on the pics here the terrain looks pretty wooded, so I don't think there would be "plenty of spaces" to place another feeder and stand without doing some serious clearing, which maybe he isn't allowed to do as a lease member.

I just don't understand why you all are bent out of shape over the direction of this guys stand. Maybe that's just the way it went up and he can't move it. Not everyone has access to tractors and trucks and maybe the lease members put up the stand and couldn't move it again? It is metal after all, not wood. but even if wood it would still require a vehicle to move it. Maybe the guy is a new hunter and doesn't know you can move stands with vehicles. I don't know. But until someone talks to him in a civil manner no one will know why he wants to have his "main" window facing into the neighbors land.

All the responses keep coming back to the blind "facing" the wrong direction...would it matter if the stairs were facing the fence? After all there is a window on the door, so the dude could still see and shoot toward the fence. Or is the issue really the set back that everyone wants? No one has given me an answer on what a "polite" set back should be, but there have been several comments on this as well...

So what is it, the view into the neighbors land or the set back? Or is it truly both?

I hope your not this obtuse in your daily life.

Re: Way To Close [Re: Stub] #7011857 12/26/17 03:39 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
maximus, how is that obtuse? I am giving reasons for why this guy might have set up the bind like that. I think it is obtuse to see something like this stand an make an assumption that he is automatically going to be poaching form the neighbors property, esp with the feeder inside the blind further into the leased land. Why would a shot go the other way?

Can you give any more info on this that would make the issue seem more or less obtuse?

Re: Way To Close [Re: Texas buckeye] #7011926 12/26/17 04:29 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
maximus, how is that obtuse? I am giving reasons for why this guy might have set up the bind like that. I think it is obtuse to see something like this stand an make an assumption that he is automatically going to be poaching form the neighbors property, esp with the feeder inside the blind further into the leased land. Why would a shot go the other way?

Can you give any more info on this that would make the issue seem more or less obtuse?

You sound like you are that guy or you have your deer blind up against somebody else's fence with all of your hypothetical maybe's and justifying his poor choice of setup?

I was there and saw what his possibilities are/were that he could have chosen so far as setting up that blind.
Like I said, at the very least he could have set his blind up to where the stairs, main window were running parallel with his side of the fence line and as I mentioned before, this would give him a greater hunting view of his area up

Last edited by Stub; 12/26/17 04:30 PM.

texas flag

Re: Way To Close [Re: Stub] #7011955 12/26/17 04:43 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Stub, I am not trying to be a dolt here. I am just trying to understand what is so upsetting to everyone...is it the lack of set back, direction the blind is facing, or both?

And for the record, no I don’t set up on neighbors fenceline. This is not my blind. I don’t shoot across fenceines and don’t recommend anyone set up this way.

HOWEVER, I don’t own that land and neither do any of us commenting (that has been disclosed). We can not tell someone they need to take their stand down any more than they can tell us the same. It’s their property.

But, a civil discussion with the hunter might make things more understood or get somethings changed to benefit all involved.

For us to sit here and suggest there be a mandatory set back or direction with which deer stand can be set up on land not our own is just simply ridiculous. As much as it may drive me crazy for my land owning Neighbor to own cows, it is a very legal thing to do and I can not suggest he get rid of them, even if they eat my grass and wreck my fences. As much as it may chap all of us to have a fenceline hunter, it isn’t worth getting upset about as it is near impossible to prove poaching, much harder to prove intent, and much harder to get anything accomplished to remove the fenceline hunter or stand once the course of civility goes away. Calling names and acting all “holier than thou” you can’t do that kind of stuff just gets everyone riled up. It isn’t productive. Not saying you have done that stub. But there are certainly people on this thread that have suggested very illegal things done, very unethical things done, and just downright mean things done, all because they are scared the Neighbor may shoot “their deer”....seriously?

Re: Way To Close [Re: Stub] #7011960 12/26/17 04:49 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Stub

I was there and saw what his possibilities are/were that he could have chosen so far as setting up that blind.
Like I said, at the very least he could have set his blind up to where the stairs, main window were running parallel with his side of the fence line and as I mentioned before, this would give him a greater hunting view of his area up

Ok, so the direction of the stand is the big thing for you? I want you honestly answer: if the stairs were facing the correct way according to you (parallel to the fence so his main window was facing the fenceline and not the feeder or the neighbors property) that you would not be upset with the lack of a set back....

Re: Way To Close [Re: Texas buckeye] #7012003 12/26/17 05:18 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S

Stub, I am not trying to be a dolt here. I am just trying to understand what is so upsetting to everyone...is it the lack of set back, direction the blind is facing, or both?

(Answer; as many of have stated BOTH and that is out of common sense, courtesy and respect)

And for the record, no I don’t set up on neighbors fenceline. This is not my blind. I don’t shoot across fenceines and don’t recommend anyone set up this way. ( That is good to know for it seems like you were trying to justify his decision on setup)

HOWEVER, I don’t own that land and neither do any of us commenting (that has been disclosed).
(I do not own the land either but my close friend does and he does not appreciate or like it)

We can not tell someone they need to take their stand down any more than they can tell us the same. It’s their property.
(True but that is not the point!)

But, a civil discussion with the hunter might make things more understood or get somethings changed to benefit all involved.
(Agree! The land owner will get in touch with the other land owner and get it resolved)

Calling names and acting all “holier than thou” you can’t do that kind of stuff just gets everyone riled up. It isn’t productive.
Not saying you have done that stub. (Agree!)

Bottom line if this guy is NOT a first time hunter and knew the property he faced his blind at was overlooking another mans property, then he made a very poor decision period hammer

If he is a new hunter and did not know that was someone else's property and no one else on his lease advised him not to, then oh well stupid rookie mistake. But I bet somebody had to help him set that blind up should have known better scratch

Hopefully it gets resolved amicably up

Last edited by Stub; 12/26/17 05:31 PM.

texas flag

Re: Way To Close [Re: Texas buckeye] #7012018 12/26/17 05:28 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Stub

Ok, so the direction of the stand is the big thing for you? I want you honestly answer: if the stairs were facing the correct way according to you (parallel to the fence so his main window was facing the fenceline and not the feeder or the neighbors property) that you would not be upset with the lack of a set back....

If it was my land or my lease I would still not be happy that they put their stand right up against the fence line I own or am leasing.
It would certainly remove a lot of concern about his possible perceived illegal intentions and thus make it less of an issue!

texas flag

Re: Way To Close [Re: Texas buckeye] #7012153 12/26/17 07:23 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Honestly, if you can't figure it out, I'd be wasting my time trying to explain it to you. Just wait until a coupla folks put stands right on your fenceline. See how you like it. I guarandamtee you they are not the benevolent sort of honest folks, like you speculate in your posts.

Say that they shoot a deer on the fenceline, & it jumps over onto Stub's. Would you want that? Would you want people shooting deer so close to you (as close as possible), that they must come into your place to get them? Do you really think that they would contact someone, or just hop over & grab their "their" deer? If they would place their equipment more on their side (say 100yds), that would tremendously cut down on wounded animals crossing the fence. That's the very least they can do.

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 12/26/17 07:32 PM.
Re: Way To Close [Re: Stub] #7012193 12/26/17 07:51 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
maximus, this example (wounded deer jumping a fence) can happen anytime with any stand location with gun or bow.

I hear about people putting bow stands up in less than 100 acre places. I have heard of deer wounded from bow shots running over half a mile. there aren't many tracts of 100 acres that would contain that deer. are you suggesting we don't allow people to bow hunt if they own less than 2-300 acres? I mean really, there is no way to prevent a wounded deer from running.

I have spoken to all my neighbors. They are all hunters. I would have no problem with any of them coming on my place looking for a wounded deer. As a matter of fact, one texted this year asking that specific thing. We all are bow hunters primarily, own more than 400 acres (minimum) and the shooter in question has over 1000 acres. Yet he texted all his neighbors asking if they minded him going onto their land to look for "his" deer. I have no problem with that.

But big difference between this example and the one posted about here is communication. We all got together before season and chatted. We were all friendly, no one was an [censored]. So when the text came to ask for permission, no one had any problem and many said if they were there they would help look. Communication is needed here. Not more flames inciting more irritation.

I get you don't like city slickers. But if you talked to most of us, you'd probably find most of us are pretty decent folks, we just happen to have city jobs and prefer to be in the country as much as possible. for some of us, it isn't possible very often so we need to maximize our opportunities when we get them. doesn't mean we need to do things illegally, but might mean we do things differently than what some people like...

Re: Way To Close [Re: Stub] #7012292 12/26/17 09:14 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Funny how so many people don't like to be told how they should hunt, but have no problem telling other people how they should hunt.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Way To Close [Re: Stub] #7012340 12/26/17 09:50 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
So for those that think this is just horrible, how far from a fenceline should you place a stand? 100 yards, 500, 1000, a mile? On a lot of places even those distances do not mean they won't still be able to see over your fence and even shoot there if they wanted. It's their land and if they want to place a stand there then great. I would be happier with it there than in several hundred yards because they are shooting away from your property. The deer are going to cross the fence even if he moves his stand.

Re: Way To Close [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7012355 12/26/17 09:59 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Funny how so many people don't like to be told how they should hunt, but have no problem telling other people how they should hunt.

Ding Ding Ding

Re: Way To Close [Re: Stub] #7012582 12/27/17 01:23 AM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
High fence everything up that way you can raise them to get huge and charge 20,000 bucks for whitetail deer.

Re: Way To Close [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7012616 12/27/17 01:42 AM
W
wtr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W

Nail meet hammer.

Re: Way To Close [Re: Stub] #7012722 12/27/17 03:22 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I knew I was wasting my time. Some of you folks are so imaginative,
you should work for MSNBC.

Re: Way To Close [Re: ntxtrapper] #7012991 12/27/17 02:46 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper
Most rifle hunters place their deer stands where they can see the farthest in multiple directions. Most land has the brush cleared out away from the fence lines so a vehicle can pass. This is why so many deer stands get placed on fence lines.
Correctimundo. I like seeing a long way. I enjoy watching deer on my neighbors property too. All but one of our setups are deep in the interior of our property. One is on the fenceline 50 feet from one neighbors high fence. I enjoy watching 200" deer on their side, not to mention the interaction between their deer and ours. I darn sure won't shoot towards their fence. The stand in the original post looks heavy, maybe that's the way it came off the trailer and they were unable to move it to a different position. confused2

Last edited by Erathkid; 12/27/17 02:49 PM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Way To Close [Re: Texas buckeye] #7013313 12/27/17 05:59 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Hypothetical:

The guy is hunting that blind that has more of a view of his neighbor's place than his own. And absolute booner that his neighbor has watched grow for the last 5 years is chasing a doe and hops the fence from the fence sitter's place into the neighbor's place, but since he wasn't set up to watch his property asl much as he was his neighbor's property he didn't see the "trespassing" booner until it stopped broadside 30 yards into his neighbors place. This being the middle of the week the fence sitter knows his neighbor is hard at work trying to make enough to make his next land payment. What % of hunters would take that shot knowing they'll probably never get another one?

Yeah, that's exaggerated. But I can tell you from many years of campfire stories that there is a high enough % of guys in unexaggerated situations that would take that shot and pull that sucker (145" 10pt) back under the fence, to make any poor schmuck trying to grow big deer on a low fenced ranch cringe at the sight of a blind on their fence line.

Is it legal? Yeah. Is it being a good neighbor? Not in any way.

What it without question is? The number one reason high fences are built.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Way To Close [Re: Stub] #7013340 12/27/17 06:25 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Rancher I think you need to hang around people that worship something other than antlers...

You see, I was raised that there is a higher power that knows what we do even when no one else will. I believe the way I live my life is a reflection of my devotion to Him, and even if I wanted to shoot that deer, that living the moral way is the best even if it doesn't benefit me. Do right, not say you did right.

This was perfectly illustrated by my son who last day of youth extended season two years ago had a big 10 walk in to our hunting area. We had been chasing him for the previous three years, never seeing him in person but he was on camera a lot. Biggest deer either of us would have ever seen, let alone shoot. This deer comes in along a fence line, I see him and as he walks to our area my son can't catch eyes on him. He came up to our food plot, stopped for a few seconds, and then instead of jumping into the food plot dropped into a ravine and came up near our feeder. He jumped into the feeder which didn't give us a good shot. Just as legal time expired the buck jumped out of the feed pen into the food plot. He gave us shot opportunity after shot opportunity and we had enough light left to shoot, but it was past legal time.

So, I ask you, how many of those campfire friends would have taken the unethical, immoral, illegal shot at the deer of a lifetime? How many of your campfire friends would have taken the rifle from the kid and shot the deer initially, even though it was youth season?

I like to think that my hunting friends and my hunting family would pass knowing it wasn't the right thing to do. I know when given the temptation, my son and I passed.

I am not shooting a deer over a fence on a neighbors property.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 12/27/17 06:30 PM.
Re: Way To Close [Re: Texas buckeye] #7013353 12/27/17 06:35 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Rancher I think you need to hang around people that worship something other than antlers...

You see, I was raised there is a higher power that knows what we do even when no one else will. I believe the way I live my life is a reflection of my devotion to Him, and even if I wanted to shoot that deer, that living the moral way is the best even if it doesn't benefit me. Do right, not say you did right.

This was perfectly illustrated by my son who last day of youth extended season two years ago, we had a big 10 walk in to our hunting area. We had been chasing him for the previous three years, never seeing him in person but he was camera a lot. Biggest deer either of us would have ever seen, let alone shoot. This deer comes in along a fence line, I see him and as he walks to our area my son can't catch eyes on him. He came up to our food plot, stopped for a few seconds, and then instead of jumping into the food plot dropped into a ravine and came up near our feeder. He jumped into the feeder which didn't give us a good shot. Just as legal time expired the buck jumped out of the feed pen into the food plot. He gave us shot opportunity after shot opportunity and we had enough light left to shoot, but it was past legal time.

So, I ask you, how many of those campfire friends would have done the unethical, immoral, illegal shot at the deer of a lifetime (it was for us, probably not for many on here)? How many of your campfire friends would have taken the rifle form the kid and shot the deer initially, even though it was youth season?

I like to think that my hunting friends and my hunting family would pass knowing it wasn't the right thing to do. I know when given the temptation, my son and I passed.

I am not shooting a deer over a fence on a neighbors property.

I hang around some really awesome folks (some who value antlers and some who value meat, and almost all value both).

I have also been at campfires/watercoolers/feed stores/business lunches/you name it with people who don't share your and my ethics. Life is like that. You don't get to decide who you rub elbows with in many situations.

I can assure you (even if you don't realize it) you too have met and broken bread with MANY people who don't share your level of ethics.

My point stands. There are way too many people out there who would take that shot for a landowner to not cringe at the sight of a blind on their fence. If they have a lot invested in their place.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Way To Close [Re: Stub] #7013364 12/27/17 06:45 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Rancher, I know what you are saying, and I am sure I have broken bread with some people like that.

However, when I see something like a stand on the fence with a feeder away from the fence, the only thing I think is the person is obviously hunting a feeder on their property, not the neighbors property.

I try to see the best in humanity, knowing it is a fallen world. I try not to be too cynical and see the worst in humanity, although my profession does sometimes allow my mind to sink to the dark side, I try hard to bring myself out of it quickly. And that's where I find my time the woods very helpful, it refreshes me to the point where I can remember why I do what I do.

Re: Way To Close [Re: Texas buckeye] #7013460 12/27/17 08:19 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Rancher, I know what you are saying, and I am sure I have broken bread with some people like that.

However, when I see something like a stand on the fence with a feeder away from the fence, the only thing I think is the person is obviously hunting a feeder on their property, not the neighbors property.

I try to see the best in humanity, knowing it is a fallen world. I try not to be too cynical and see the worst in humanity, although my profession does sometimes allow my mind to sink to the dark side, I try hard to bring myself out of it quickly. And that's where I find my time the woods very helpful, it refreshes me to the point where I can remember why I do what I do.

Sweat, blood, years of spending every weekend at ranches (often 8 hours away) while working 60 hour weeks, hauling countless tons of feed and putting it out, building infrastructure, blinds, foodplots, taking hundreds of thousands of pics when cams were 35mm film, getting those pics over time (of deer you improved) that are soooo valuable in promoting a property that, when you sell it and re-invest ALL the profit into a new ranch (so that I could "retire" at 52 and work for myself instead of "the man"), will make you view someone cherry picking off your fenceline somewhat disdainfully.

It's all good, I'm reaping the benefits of the effort now and wouldn't change a thing.

And I don't worry at all about my fencelines now. Other than watergaps.

You see I'm not someone hunting on a relative's place, or paying a flat nominal fee for a lease. My life was heavily invested in improving the quality of deer on low fenced ranches for many years.

That influences your perspective. If that makes me greedy I'm good with it. I personally see a very good side to greed. Without it we would still be living in the stone age.

Last edited by therancher; 12/27/17 08:21 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Way To Close [Re: Stub] #7013470 12/27/17 08:23 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
rancher, I get ya. I really do. I don't have the years of experience behind me like you do, but I have a lot of hard work and want to see the rewards of it just as much as you do.

I don't see greed as a bad thing, until it turns into evil greed. We are all greedy, human nature. When it turns in covetousness, then we have problems, as evidenced by this thread and other threads. the way some people on here have suggesting dealing with this stand are nothing short of evil.

All for something we can no more control than the wind, unless you want to put a (high)fence on it...

Re: Way To Close [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7013785 12/28/17 01:03 AM
K
KK30RAR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
. No kidding

Pulsar xq50 trail
Pulsar xq30f Helion
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide