Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Allowing deer recovery #7012906 12/27/17 01:25 PM
maximus_flavius Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Say that your neighbor has a stand, or multiple stands, right on your fence line. Then 1 day you get a call from the GW, asking permission for the fence line hunting neighbor to recover a deer on your property.

Do you allow it?

I'm not. No way in hades. I'd allow the GW to recover, or I'd come recover myself. But if you allow a fence line hunter to shoot deer & come into your place, your only gonna get more of the same in the future. Fence line hunters obviously have no respect for others property, & by allowing them on, you've just given them the green light to hunt your place.

Of course, most fence line hunters will just hop the fence anyway, & trespass without a thought.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7012911 12/27/17 01:30 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Man, you complain more about hunters than the anti-hunters do!

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7012927 12/27/17 01:47 PM
maximus_flavius Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Man, you complain more about hunters than the anti-hunters do!

We found our first fence line hunter.

I only complain about "hunters" that break the law or hunt in an obvious unethical fashion.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013020 12/27/17 03:11 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
maximus if you follow these threads closely at all, you'd know DNS is a hog hunter, he doesn't hunt deer, so I don't think painting him as a fenceline hunter is legit. Most hog hunters are fenceline hunters but mainly because they walk fencelines following the hogs. He knows where his boundaries are on multiple properties and would never do something illegal or jeopardize his hog hunting by shooting illegally or at something not a hog. Bark up a different tree....

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013035 12/27/17 03:22 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Here are my two cents. A lot of factors would go into it for me. Whether or not the are overhunting or not, meaning size of place relative to number of harvests and if I know they are following "brown is down" management scheme.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013039 12/27/17 03:26 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Whether or not they are shooting always during legal hours or not. If this is an "off" situation or all the time thing, recovering of deer and most of all,how they ask and act, politely or it'

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013044 12/27/17 03:29 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
It is their right mentality. We have and allowed recovery before in South Texas and each occassion though infrequent, it was polite and each party clearly identified place where shot occurred and resulting blood trail into other's property.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013045 12/27/17 03:29 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Very simple. If they were good neighbors they would have called the landowner, not the GW. Since they aren't good neighbors, which they have demonstrated through their stand placements, no way in he77 they're setting foot on my property. Allowing the GW to recover and then deliver to the fence hunters serves no purpose. I'd just tag the deer with one of my tags, or do whatever the GW instructed me to do, short of letting the fence hunters have that meat.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013048 12/27/17 03:29 PM
Pootie Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
How far off the fenceline is hunting permissible?

If you find yourself feeling useless, remember it took 20 years, trillions of dollars, and four presidents to replace the Taliban with the Taliban.

Sometimes the Universe puts you in the same situation again to see if you’re still a dumbass.
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013055 12/27/17 03:32 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I can tell most of the folks on THF aren’t from west Texas. This is about the most unneighborly bunch of whiners I’ve ever heard. Why would you care if someone came and got a deer they killed off of your land? No one has ever asked me but I wouldn’t see any reason to deny them.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: scalebuster] #7013061 12/27/17 03:35 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I can tell most of the folks on THF aren’t from west Texas. This is about the most unneighborly bunch of whiners I’ve ever heard. Why would you care if someone came and got a deer they killed off of your land? No one has ever asked me but I wouldn’t see any reason to deny them.

You can tell most of the folks on THF don't have large acreage like most places in "west Texas". Are you overrun with 10-50 acre ranchettes where folks kill a deer to every .25 acres they own?

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013108 12/27/17 04:06 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
It could be what I've run across over the years.
Buy a place with large neighbors in some cases only one or two neighbors surrounding property.
Over the years neighbors sell off pieces or sell the whole place & somebody else splits it in to smaller tracts.
20 years later you have 8 neighbors on one side, 4 on another and so on.
Only 1/2 those newer neighbors hunt but they're all allowed to take whatever the counties bag limit is which decreases herd numbers and increases human pressure further reducing the way hunting used to be on 'my' place.

Folks buy 20 - 60 acre places to hunt all the time, smart ones know the only way to ensure a bullet doesn't leave their small property is to use an elevated blind set up on fence line and shoot back into their own property.
As far as which way the blind is facing, all ya gotta do is ask them why it appears to be overlooking your place.

I don't like it much either, but, it sure beats the people that setup a blind nearer the center of these small tracts and shoot towards the fence lines.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013165 12/27/17 04:30 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I said it before and I will say it again, the bow hunter on 100 acres is a set up for a deer jumping a fence. how many posts do we read every year in october about a well shot deer that ran 300-800 yards before finally expiring? Heck, I have seen a deer with a blown up heart from a gun shot run over 75 yards. There is no way to guarantee a DRT type death with anything.

By taking the mentality of the OP, we should ban bow hunting on any acreage less than 400, and gun hunting on anything less than 100 acres, as there is too much risk for deer jumping fences and stands overlooking a neighbors property. confused2

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: scalebuster] #7013175 12/27/17 04:34 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: scalebuster

It is about a guy who doesn't like city slickers and he is expressing his views in different way s through different posts. It isn't about being neighborly, it is about being unwelcoming to city slickers.

If maximus had his way, no one from Tarrant, dallas, Collin or denton countries woud be allowed to hunt in the state of texas...not to mention bexar, Austin, and all of the Houston metro....but since he doesn't ergularly deal with those city slickers he ignores them and kindly reserves his unwelcoming nature for the DFW-ites who hunt near him and his property, overlooking and watching his every move and stealing his deer as they leap the fence hammer

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013181 12/27/17 04:36 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Pootie
How far off the fenceline is hunting permissible?

By law, all the way up to the legal boundary of the property (often denoted by a fence) so long as you are hunting where it is legal to be hunting (e.g., not inside the city limits) and you or your projectiles do not cross that boundary, you are hunting legally. Some people get really bent out of shape if you are hunting 100% legally on your property like that, but all they can do is cuss, whine about it, and cast dispersions.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 12/27/17 04:57 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013184 12/27/17 04:36 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Sorry I am totally skeptical of a blind on my property line. Especially one within feet. I know it's legal but it's not kosher. I have a great relationship with my neighbor as we trust each other and we call in the event of a shot cross over. It's a courtesy call but one that re-enforces the trust. If you've got a small acreage put your damn stand in middle of your property to minimize the temptation!!!! I'm a retired non wealthy whiner who loves hunting and take tons of heat from my wife at the cost but with a loan payment of 600.0 a month, taxes of 1500.00 a year, corn at about 100.00 a month for 5 months plus about $15,000 in support equipment ( feeders, cameras, Tripods, stands, tractor and equipment, food plots) I would like to feel my my reduced monthly funds, hard work and investment is not being compromised. That's just me you all can be as charitable and understanding as you see fit I guess I'm a little self indulged.

Last edited by Flashprism; 12/27/17 04:53 PM.
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013205 12/27/17 04:57 PM
B
BassBuster1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
We have a neighbor with a small piece of land that borders a corner of two family properties. Last year he built a huge unsightly blind right on the fence. The blind was built tall enough and in such a way where the two biggest windows overlook a major game trail on our family property. He also has a feeder that is literally 20 feet from one fence and 40 yards from the other. His place is such that he would not have deer on his property at all without them crossing ours. He is hunting our family land while sitting on his is what it boils down to. If he shoots something, his property is less than an acre wide and I can almost guarantee without the perfect anchor shot the animal will leave his property. I can also say he has never asked to come on our property to recover an animal(probably just trespasses) but if he did ask, there would be a serious conversation with he and the game warden about his stand location! It is a free country and I believe wholeheartedly that people should be able to do whatever they want with their property but where did common decency and courtesy go? Why would you ruin a beautiful landscape with a huge ugly blind that you barely use? why would you put that blind directly looking over someone else's property? Some people are just plain rude so if and when we are asked, I just don't know what the response will be...

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013214 12/27/17 05:00 PM
W
wtr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Much safer to shoot from the fence line into their small tract than shoot towards the fence.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: Flashprism] #7013223 12/27/17 05:03 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Flashprism
Sorry I am totally skeptical of a blind on my property line. Especially one within feet. I know it's legal but it's not kosher. I have a great relationship with my neighbor as we trust each other and we call in the event of a shot cross over. It's a courtesy call but one that re-enforces the trust. If you've got a small acreage put your damn stand in middle of your property to minimize the temptation!!!! I'm a retired non wealthy whiner who loves hunting and take tons of heat from my wife at the cost but with a loan payment of 600.0 a month, taxes of 1500.00 a year, corn at about 100.00 a month for 5 months plus about $15,000 in support equipment ( feeders, cameras, Tripods, stands, tractor and equipment, food plots) I would like to feel my my reduced monthly funds, hard work and investment is not being compromised. That's just me you all can be as charitable and understanding as you see fit I guess I'm a little self indulged.

I understand what you are saying, but what you don't understand you are saying is this:

I spend a lot of my money on hunting related stuff so I should be able to tell my neighbor who hunts the way I don't like to hunt the way I like because I spend a lot of my money on hunting and I want to be able to shoot the deer I want but not let you shoot the deer you want.

Is that the premise?

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013227 12/27/17 05:04 PM
I
Ihunt Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Say that your neighbor has a stand, or multiple stands, right on your fence line. Then 1 day you get a call from the GW, asking permission for the fence line hunting neighbor to recover a deer on your property.

Do you allow it?
Fence line hunters obviously have no respect for others property, & by allowing them on, you've just given them the green light to hunt your place.

If someone hunts their own fence line and asks to recover an animal they shot on their own property that ran onto yours they absolutely have respect for your property or they would not ask in the first place. If a neighbor asks I would let them... that's the kind of neighbor I want. They also have the right to hunt their own fence line, it is after all their property. You can do the same.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: BassBuster1] #7013230 12/27/17 05:05 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BassBuster1
We have a neighbor with a small piece of land that borders a corner of two family properties. Last year he built a huge unsightly blind right on the fence. The blind was built tall enough and in such a way where the two biggest windows overlook a major game trail on our family property. He also has a feeder that is literally 20 feet from one fence and 40 yards from the other. His place is such that he would not have deer on his property at all without them crossing ours. He is hunting our family land while sitting on his is what it boils down to. If he shoots something, his property is less than an acre wide and I can almost guarantee without the perfect anchor shot the animal will leave his property. I can also say he has never asked to come on our property to recover an animal(probably just trespasses) but if he did ask, there would be a serious conversation with he and the game warden about his stand location! It is a free country and I believe wholeheartedly that people should be able to do whatever they want with their property but where did common decency and courtesy go? Why would you ruin a beautiful landscape with a huge ugly blind that you barely use? why would you put that blind directly looking over someone else's property? Some people are just plain rude so if and when we are asked, I just don't know what the response will be...

I understand what you are saying about the small property and all, but you do realize there is a way to make that issue go away, just high fence the corner.

Until then, realize the deer on your family property are actually property of the state and not yours, and it will make things a lot easier to swallow when he hunts his property and shoots the states deer...

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013235 12/27/17 05:10 PM
5Redman8 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Maximus Whinus

You don’t own their land.....nothing unethical about them hunting their property.

I would think in the above scenario I would go help them recover and I would hope they would do the same.

If you don’t like their stand locations then pony up and buy them out.

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: Flashprism] #7013256 12/27/17 05:24 PM
I
Ihunt Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I
Originally Posted By: Flashprism

I would rather a neighbor with a small property put his blind on the fence line and shoot toward his own property instead of toward mine.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013265 12/27/17 05:30 PM
W
wtr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Exactly, their property goes all the way to the fence line. I don't tell people what to do on THEIR property so I sure as hell don't want people to tell me what to do on mine.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013283 12/27/17 05:40 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
You ain't gonna win this one.

Is it legal to put a blind against a fence line? Yep. Is it being a good neighbor? Nah. The issues caused by fence hunting and neighbors who can't agree on a management system (which almost never works) has raised more high fences than anything.

High fences make great neighbors. I highly recommend them.

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide