Print Thread
Javelina hunt #7007826 12/22/17 11:43 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
Not sure if this belongs here or not. Looking for a javelina hunt. Would like my son to be able to shoot one from the stand during daylight. Then I’d like to drive around all night and get a pile of them . I’m willing to pay, or if someone has a place , I’d bring all my gear and you can use my stuff . Don’t need to be catered to, or anything fancy . Place to grill and get horizontal is all . After deer season is fine. If this would fit your situation let me know. Thanks

Re: Javelina hunt [Re: Midwaytmm] #7007848 12/23/17 12:00 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
you might want to think about NOT getting a pile of Javelina's

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Javelina hunt [Re: Midwaytmm] #7007854 12/23/17 12:02 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Midwaytmm
Not sure if this belongs here or not. Looking for a javelina hunt. Would like my son to be able to shoot one from the stand during daylight. Then I’d like to drive around all night and get a pile of them . I’m willing to pay, or if someone has a place , I’d bring all my gear and you can use my stuff . Don’t need to be catered to, or anything fancy . Place to grill and get horizontal is all . After deer season is fine. If this would fit your situation let me know. Thanks

You might want to check the reg's on Javalina's before you pursue this any farther.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Javelina hunt [Re: Midwaytmm] #7007856 12/23/17 12:03 AM
M
Midwaytmm Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
Ok to be clear, whatever the legal limit x the number of people shooting . It been a long time since I’ve gone , not sure what the bag/po session limit is . Sorry for confusion

Re: Javelina hunt [Re: Midwaytmm] #7007911 12/23/17 12:33 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Just check the country bag limits before you head out. Usually 1-2 per year.
Good luck finding a hunt, and hope you get your limit.
A reminder, collared peccary are game animals, so keeping the meat is required.
If you are looking to kill in bunches, pigs may be what you are looking for.
Either way, good luck.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Javelina hunt [Re: Midwaytmm] #7007914 12/23/17 12:34 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Ok to be clear, whatever the legal limit x the number of people shooting . It been a long time since I’ve gone , not sure what the bag/po session limit is . Sorry for confusion

You are allowed two per season, you can't hunt them at night due to them being a game animal. Since they are a game animal the meat cannot be wasted and must be consumed. Javalina hunts don't come cheap, it sounds like a hog hunt might be more what your looking for. No limit unless set by the landowner or outfitter and they can be hunted at night with any weapon you can legally use.

Re: Javelina hunt [Re: Midwaytmm] #7007943 12/23/17 12:52 AM
M
Midwaytmm Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
Ok well apologize for wasting time. Didn’t know you couldn’t kill them at night

Re: Javelina hunt [Re: Midwaytmm] #7007984 12/23/17 01:22 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Ok well apologize for wasting time. Didn’t know you couldn’t kill them at night

No apology needed Sir!

Re: Javelina hunt [Re: Midwaytmm] #7008045 12/23/17 02:10 AM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I hunt and eat pigs, but no way I’m eating Javelina.

For what it’s worth, with almost 50 years of hunting under my belt, Javelina are the only animal I have ever run FROM.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Javelina hunt [Re: nak] #7008399 12/23/17 12:37 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: nak

For what it’s worth, with almost 50 years of hunting under my belt, Javelina are the only animal I have ever run FROM.

I've eaten every Javalina I've ever shot and a few I didn't shoot. Cooked for an ELK's Club benefit and all we served was Elk, Antelope, deer, hog and Javalina. I cooked 2 Javalina's and they were the first thing we ran out of. What's interesting was the Antelope was the one nobody got too excited about. Never had to run from one but I have had a few tense moments, those little guys know no fear and do allot of damage in a real short time. They'll cut up a dog like nothing else, in fact they will attack the dog. Several around here have lost dog's to Javalina's and many more have had some extreme Vet bill's.

Re: Javelina hunt [Re: Midwaytmm] #7009216 12/24/17 12:29 AM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Elks lodges serve good booze, no skunk pig for me. Years ago in the Big Bend there was no limit on them and ranchers shot them like rabbits. rifle

Re: Javelina hunt [Re: HWY_MAN] #7009253 12/24/17 12:52 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Originally Posted By: nak

I've eaten every Javalina I've ever shot and a few I didn't shoot. Cooked for an ELK's Club benefit and all we served was Elk, Antelope, deer, hog and Javalina. I cooked 2 Javalina's and they were the first thing we ran out of. What's interesting was the Antelope was the one nobody got too excited about. Never had to run from one but I have had a few tense moments, those little guys know no fear and do allot of damage in a real short time. They'll cut up a dog like nothing else, in fact they will attack the dog. Several around here have lost dog's to Javalina's and many more have had some extreme Vet bill's.

Agreed. Javelina....properly handled and cooked are excellent table fare.

You are dead-on about a Javelina's hatred for dogs/canines. They will often initiate an attack if a dog gets within a certain distance and they are well equipped to do some serious damage (and quickly).

A boar 'hog' might have decent cutters that can rake a dog, but a Javelina has large opposing canine like teeth that will rip and shred a dog in a hurry. And the viciousness of an attack has to be witnessed to be believed. Hogs will take a swipe at you or your dog and generally move on, Javelina's will attack in numbers and they mean business.

Unfortunately, most dogs (if able) will run right BACK to their owner (bringing the Javies with them). At that juncture.... a little excitement is pretty much guaranteed.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Javelina hunt [Re: Midwaytmm] #7009934 12/24/17 04:56 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
We had a pointer go after a javi on a quail hunt. The javi put that dog on the ground instantly then proceeded to start slicing him up. My buddy was close and went to help the dog. The javi turned on him, I watched him put a round of bird shot in the javis head as it came at him. He killed it from about 5 feet. Another nearby javi came running in to join to fight, I hit him from about 20 feet. Thank God the other, about twenty, javis went running off in the brush, we couldn't have loaded fast enough for a full out assault grin. The dog got some field first aid, and the rest of the weekend off. It looked like he was hit with a weedeater that was slinging razor blades.
Talk about a leasurly bird hunt turn insane in just seconds, that dog didn't stand a chance.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Javelina hunt [Re: Simple Searcher] #7010006 12/24/17 05:57 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
We had a pointer go after a javi on a quail hunt. The javi put that dog on the ground instantly then proceeded to start slicing him up. My buddy was close and went to help the dog. The javi turned on him, I watched him put a round of bird shot in the javis head as it came at him. He killed it from about 5 feet. Another nearby javi came running in to join to fight, I hit him from about 20 feet. Thank God the other, about twenty, javis went running off in the brush, we couldn't have loaded fast enough for a full out assault grin. The dog got some field first aid, and the rest of the weekend off. It looked like he was hit with a weedeater that was slinging razor blades.
Talk about a leasurly bird hunt turn insane in just seconds, that dog didn't stand a chance.

We have a few folks hunt hog's with dog's out here but not many in our area. Nth of I-20 they're pretty safe but you get south and there's a good chance your dog's are going to run into some Javi's and that never ends well. Ranch hand here has lost a few dog's and now keeps them in a pen so the Javi's can't get to them. Buddy just south of town at the edge of the mountains had a small group of Javi's kill his Lab and his Brittany. By the time he got outside it was two late, 6 Javi's had cut them up so bad they didn't survive. If your in Javalina country watch your dog's!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide