Page 1 of 2 1 2
I think duck season should open in December in Texas #6994340 12/13/17 11:12 AM
B
Bluesea112 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
I don't think you could find a single person who would disagree that the first split of duck season sucks in Texas. The birds seem to migrate later and later each year, and we don't see them until the second half of the season is almost over.

According to International Treaty, we get 60 days to hunt ducks. I don't think it says which 60 days we can hunt them. I think TPWD needs to start duck season in December next year to match the later migration pattern we are seeing due to global warming.

Am I alone in wanting to start duck season in December, or do we have enough for a revolution?

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994345 12/13/17 11:40 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
They should open dec 1 till febr 28 with a split dec 24-31
Feb 15 - 28 male ducks only.

#globalwarming
#nofakenews

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994392 12/13/17 12:26 PM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
I've had a great 1st split. No complaints here.

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: beaversnipe] #6994431 12/13/17 01:06 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
They should open dec 1 till febr 28 with a split dec 24-31
Feb 15 - 28 male ducks only.

#globalwarming
#nofakenews

Male ducks only- you know that would work.............NOT

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994439 12/13/17 01:10 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Bluesea112
I don't think you could find a single person who would disagree that the first split of duck season sucks in Texas. The birds seem to migrate later and later each year, and we don't see them until the second half of the season is almost over.

According to International Treaty, we get 60 days to hunt ducks. I don't think it says which 60 days we can hunt them. I think TPWD needs to start duck season in December next year to match the later migration pattern we are seeing due to global warming.

Am I alone in wanting to start duck season in December, or do we have enough for a revolution?

It’s called hunting not killing some years are better some are worst.

We were up over 100 percent vs last year. I disagree. It’s a federal mandate to close by the end of January bird start pairing up then all they could do is basically eliminate the five day split open five days later

Last edited by Greekangler; 12/13/17 01:11 PM.

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994441 12/13/17 01:10 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J

Where do you hunt?

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994481 12/13/17 01:39 PM
W
WreakinHavoc Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
I disagree with you, the first split was jam up for us and a lot of others that I know of...
Definitely should not be changed... then hunting would be to easy for a lot of people.

Last edited by WreakinHavoc; 12/13/17 01:40 PM.
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994625 12/13/17 03:13 PM
A
Avian Assassins Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
I'm also going to have to respectfully disagree. We had an incredible first split. Some years are obviously better than others but this one was a little better than last years which was our 2nd best season to date. I think that they have got the season dates nailed down pretty good personally. Love the mid November start.

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994653 12/13/17 03:39 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
As a general rule every year it's one of many things.
Too hot
Too cold
Too wet
Too dry
Too early
Too late

Just go find em.

Last edited by ducknbass; 12/13/17 04:05 PM.
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994657 12/13/17 03:41 PM
Y
Yetiguy Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Y
Global warming...gimme a break. Somebody has been drinking the Hollywood, Liberal Kool-aid.

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994667 12/13/17 03:52 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
set aside politics, yes, I think our planet is warming up pretty fast the last 50 years, its definitely not cooling.
2cents 2cents

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994681 12/13/17 04:01 PM
R
RiverRunner Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R

First, according to International Treaty, we get 60 days to hunt....THAT IS INCORRECT.

Central Flyway gets 76 or so days and the High Plains Mallard Management Unit gets 90 or so days. Pacific Flyway gets 107 days, Mississippi & Atlantic are the flyways that only get 60 days.

Secondly, pushing the season back won't do anything as per the same treaty you are talking about mandates ALL seasons shut down no later than Jan 31.

So, pushing the season opener to December won't do anything but take huntable days away from us. I could see pushing the season start back a couple weeks if we only had a 60 day season, but that is not the case. TPWD does everything they can within the Federal Frameworks to give us duck hunters the most opportunity to hunt ducks.

The only thing I am seeing right now that I don't like or agree with is the 5 day split in the North Zone...really wish they would go back to the same split as the South Zone. Starting a week later in November and only shutting down for a 5 day split hasn't been all that great. Really miss the 2 week split where the birds actually get a true break and build. Makes it like having another opening day as the birds are really comfortable and dumb...aka EASY hunts.

As far as no ducks in the first split...that is very subjective. If you are hunting ponds in N TX, I could see that. Typically, pond hunting in N TX gets good around Thanksgiving or the first week or so of December.

Personally, my group averages about 4-5 ducks per person on each hunt during the first split....typically kill about 150-200 birds in the first split. I only hunted 5 times during the first split this year due several fishing trips during the first 3 weeks of season. We still killed 65 ducks for a 5.4 bird per man average.

I see folks complaining about season dates and folks wanting to push it back. IT SIMPLY WILL NOT HAPPEN DUE TO FEDERAL FRAMEWORKS NOT ALLOWING DUCK HUNTING PAST JANUARY 31, so quit complaining about the dates and take advantage of the days we have to hunt!

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: ducknbass] #6994690 12/13/17 04:09 PM
W
WreakinHavoc Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
As a general rule every year it's one of many things.
Too hot
Too cold
Too wet
Too dry
Too early
Too late

Just go find em.

agree...always something
You find the food, you find the birds. Yes, earlier in November the birds have a broader migration area due to the northern states holding birds not being froze over, but heck we killed a 4 man limit 5 man limit of big ducks in 80 degree weather.. and none is private

personally think if they push the dates back like you mentioned there would be a decline in duck numbers.

Last edited by WreakinHavoc; 12/13/17 04:09 PM.
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: RiverRunner] #6994697 12/13/17 04:16 PM
W
WreakinHavoc Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Originally Posted By: RiverRunner

First, according to International Treaty, we get 60 days to hunt....THAT IS INCORRECT.

Central Flyway gets 76 or so days and the High Plains Mallard Management Unit gets 90 or so days. Pacific Flyway gets 107 days, Mississippi & Atlantic are the flyways that only get 60 days.

Secondly, pushing the season back won't do anything as per the same treaty you are talking about mandates ALL seasons shut down no later than Jan 31.

So, pushing the season opener to December won't do anything but take huntable days away from us. I could see pushing the season start back a couple weeks if we only had a 60 day season, but that is not the case. TPWD does everything they can within the Federal Frameworks to give us duck hunters the most opportunity to hunt ducks.

The only thing I am seeing right now that I don't like or agree with is the 5 day split in the North Zone...really wish they would go back to the same split as the South Zone. Starting a week later in November and only shutting down for a 5 day split hasn't been all that great. Really miss the 2 week split where the birds actually get a true break and build. Makes it like having another opening day as the birds are really comfortable and dumb...aka EASY hunts.

As far as no ducks in the first split...that is very subjective. If you are hunting ponds in N TX, I could see that. Typically, pond hunting in N TX gets good around Thanksgiving or the first week or so of December.

Personally, my group averages about 4-5 ducks per person on each hunt during the first split....typically kill about 150-200 birds in the first split. I only hunted 5 times during the first split this year due several fishing trips during the first 3 weeks of season. We still killed 65 ducks for a 5.4 bird per man average.

I see folks complaining about season dates and folks wanting to push it back. IT SIMPLY WILL NOT HAPPEN DUE TO FEDERAL FRAMEWORKS NOT ALLOWING DUCK HUNTING PAST JANUARY 31, so quit complaining about the dates and take advantage of the days we have to hunt!

2 week split would be do wonders... I am a weekend hunter except for the last two weeks of December, and I think the 2 week split to include a weekend will help everyone out. Not including a weekend doesn't necessarily give birds a rest.

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: RiverRunner] #6994704 12/13/17 04:21 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

I used to take that Monday after the split off yearly to go hunt a lake that is was closed for a draw deer hunt that weekend. Some of my best shoots.

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994706 12/13/17 04:21 PM
S
SeaAggie2015 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
We actually had a decent first split this season. Don't get me wrong, We had 2-3 days of zero birds, but that was just a matter of hunting blind because none of us could get out to scout.

In my opinion, I think TPWD does the best with what they have to work with.

Noah Blackmon
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994743 12/13/17 04:49 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I remember not too long ago, the Oklahoma season running 1 week past the N Texas season.
I guess Texan birds were still trying to pair up behind the 7/11, go figure.
having said that, that last week in Oklahoma was ALWAYS REAL good hunting

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994756 12/13/17 05:02 PM
R
RockDocJoe Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I agree, the few times I made it out during the first split, I saw plenty of birds. Several large groups at or before sunrise, and then a handful of single or double birds until about 8:30.

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994793 12/13/17 05:35 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Admittedly this season first split has been off for me but last 3 years its been good. Folks are deer hunting, still fishing etc. First split can be real good. The opener last year of the second split....you'd think you were in Ark on a timber hole hunt...all on Tx public. 10 green heads and 2 Woodrow's for me and buddy.

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994794 12/13/17 05:36 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Week of Thanksgiving and run to the middle of February would make me happy

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6994860 12/13/17 06:38 PM
B
Blake E. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I will hunt ducks anytime it's legal and like it. The end.

Blake (940) 389-0801
www.texasduckndove.com
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6995033 12/13/17 09:08 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

These are the dates for big ducks in the north zone this year:

November 11-26
December 2-January 28

Are you advocating shortening the season to 60 days? That’s what you’re saying, because currently we get more than 60 days in big duck season. I’m not sure why you would want to do that. If it’s simply because there are fewer birds earlier in the season, I’m not following your logic.

Let’s say the season is shortened to December and January when the majority of birds are in Texas (according to you).

1) You’re going to have the same daily bag limits.
2) You’re going to be able to hunt fewer days (even if you’re retired or a guide or somehow manage to take the entire season off from work to hunt everyday).

I have 30 years, at least, of working ahead of me, so I’m mostly a weekend warrior, except for the few vacation days I take off during the season. I’d rather have more days to hunt rather than less. I don’t need to limit out every hunt (sure, I’d love to) but I also don’t want to have to shoehorn as many hunting days as possible into 60 days. So if there are fewer ducks here in November (there are) and hunting is tougher, that’s ok. I’ll still put together some good hunts hopefully, shoot some birds and enjoy myself.

For one thing, it would make the lakes vastly more crowded than they already are. Second, I just disagree that there aren’t enough ducks to make it worthwhile to have the first split.

EDIT: I just noticed you also started the thread about having trouble finding ducks. It seems you’re frustrated and I get it. It hasn’t been the best season I’ve ever had. It will get better, hang in there. I’m still confused why you would want to shorten the season. If you are getting skunked and don’t think it’s worth it to hunt until later in the season, then wait until later in the season to start hunting. I’d still rather be out there as many days as possible and as early as possible so I can enjoy hunting as much as possible.

Last edited by Duck_Hunter; 12/13/17 09:15 PM.

I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6995113 12/13/17 10:08 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Best hunt of the year for the last few seasons has been opening day...so yes I would disagree.

The only reason I would want a later start is that I would like the opportunity to shoot better plumed ducks in February.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: RiverRunner] #6995151 12/13/17 10:40 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

I'd rather see the season be delayed a week and do away with the 5 day split.

[Linked Image]
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6995379 12/14/17 01:34 AM
R
Randy H Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Extending the season wouldn't help me. When I was growing up in the nineties, we we're selective about our limits. Greenheads only, finish on gadwalls or teal. Let a couple thousand wood ducks fly every morning without ever picking up a gun. Don't waist your limit on woodies, mallards will be here shortly. I had about 5 different places to hunt, all with tons of ducks.

For the past 10+ years, none of those places hold many ducks anymore. We don't see 10 % of the ducks in any given day that I had 15-20 years ago in range to kill.

They are simply not coming through here anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide