Print Thread
ISO Lab Puppy #6991705 12/11/17 03:25 PM
L
lmd59 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
L
I'm looking to get a new lab puppy. I'm searching for a chocolate female. She doesn't have to have any family championships or a regal background, just looking for a good hunting companion. My last lab, Bristol, came from a hunting pair with no competition experience and she was perfect. Let me know if you have a litter available. I appreciate your assistance.

Re: ISO Lab Puppy [Re: lmd59] #6992086 12/11/17 07:42 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Sounds like you had a great dog. Good luck with your next puppy, fun times ahead.

I will only advise in my recent experience... Make sure you buy from a reputable person or breeder. This person/breeder should have done all of the health clearances on the Sire and Dam of the litter. You may also have sticker shock on the cost of nicely bred puppies these days. While you had success with your last lab puppy, the pedigrees of litters that have proven competition dogs just provide you with a little bit more proof that the puppies *should* have the hunting desire that you are looking for.

You should probably expect to pay (at a minimum)...$800+ for dogs that have all the required health clearances. (Hips, Elbows, EIC, etc) And depending on the litter (more Hunt Test or Field Trial titles in the Sire and Dam) that price could be $1000-$2000... and well beyond...

Not sure of your timing, but BradyBuck (THF Member) should have a really nice chocolate litter available this coming spring/summer. He owns the choc female that will be the Dam of the litter and she is a great dog. I am sure he will chime in or contact you directly soon.

Re: ISO Lab Puppy [Re: lmd59] #6992374 12/11/17 10:54 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Thanks Trigger!

PM sent

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: ISO Lab Puppy [Re: lmd59] #6993150 12/12/17 03:57 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I believe great dogs can be had out of non pedigreed lines.

However the cost of watching that great dog suffer with hip displasia or exercised induced seizures and having to put them down young makes it difficult to not get a well bred dog with health clearances in the family lines for me.

The up front cost may be higher but I'm glad I paid it.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: ISO Lab Puppy [Re: lmd59] #6993781 12/12/17 10:46 PM
L
lmd59 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
L
Thanks for the feedback. My last dog came with the health clearances and a good pedigree, but her parents were not field trial champs, just regular hunting dogs. I have nothing against folks who go through the rigors and receive their titles, in fact it inspires me, yet I know I won't go through the efforts to do the same. I'm just looking for a healthy pup that I can train to hunt with me and become my good friend.

Re: ISO Lab Puppy [Re: lmd59] #6993828 12/12/17 11:11 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: lmd59
Thanks for the feedback. My last dog came with the health clearances and a good pedigree, but her parents were not field trial champs, just regular hunting dogs. I have nothing against folks who go through the rigors and receive their titles, in fact it inspires me, yet I know I won't go through the efforts to do the same. I'm just looking for a healthy pup that I can train to hunt with me and become my good friend.

You are in the same boat as many people looking for and wanting a new lab pup for a friend and hunting companion. As mentioned a million times on this forum, just make sure the pup has the health clearances. (Which sounds like you are going to do this) And make sure both dogs actually hunt. I have seen plenty of dogs in person (even dogs with some hunt test titles)...that I would never want to actually hunt with. I know that seems crazy...but you don't know that until you see it.

Some dogs will "do the work" but they could care less about doing it...they would rather be laying on the couch. Not a dog or companion I would want. But different strokes for different folks.

A good breeding from hunt test titled (or even FC/AFC titled) parents just increases your odds of getting a puppy with good desire and increases their odds the puppy will be trainable. You don't have to run hunt tests with a puppy out of hunt test titled parents.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide