Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,997
Posts9,719,301
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Going out now and may be last time I can for the season. Hope I get something in the freezer! #6990412 12/10/17 10:16 AM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
I just got the word 5 days ago that I will FINALLY be going in for my corrective back fusion surgery. The last doctor screwed me up bad and tried to cover it up and even had his other doctors in the building go along with him at the beginning after post surgery. So after years of pain and fighting with the insurance companies, (auto accident) I will be able to get the rods, cages and spring put in my lower back so I can start living life again. I was waiting at a set of lights on the I-10W service road and some moron going between 70-75 mph, hit my suv on the right rear bumper after she crossed over every lane while texting while driving. Four years in the Marine Corps, decades of living the outdoorsman-sportsman’s life and I get screwed up by some moron who isn’t watching what they are doing.......go figure!!!! I am a Gunsmith and missed a lot of money during the years which really frustrated me at first. But I let it all go after realizing that the anger was consuming me.

Anyways, I am just thankful to be alive and living here in Texas. My doctor said that I might be able to get out for Muzzleloader season near the end of it but that would be a miracle lol. Also if my buddy was only there to help me get in and out of my blind that sits on a 5ft tower. I am truly blessed to be able to hunt for free on my buddy’s private land where he lives in Centerville and have him and his father’s help if I get a deer or hog. They drive the truck right up the road, throw it in the back for me, winch it up and help me quarter it and put it in my wife’s vehicle. Friends like them are very few these days and I am just greatful to know them and have them in my life. Definitely true friends who are there when you need them. I try to pay him back any way I can but he says that all he needs is my friendship. I am truly blessed by the Lord to have found such great friends so late in life. So since I am going in this Wednesday for surgery, this will most likely be the last time I can get out for deer season.

I have seen a lot of bucks during bow season and smaller doe’s that I could have taken but decided to let the bucks pass on their genes before trying to harvest one. I have now started to see the bigger doe’s come back to the feeders so I might have a chance at one during Muzzleloader season if I can make a miraculously fast recovery lmao. Over all I will be bummed if I don’t get something in the freezer this season, but I believe I did the right thing by waiting on taking any deer since they were either too nice to not let breed first and definitely too young to take out of the group. This year has been a tough one with having some poachers on the back side of his land right before opening bow season, neighbors pack of dogs running the deer AGAIN and having some yotes giving us problems during the middle of the season. Then the acorns were ruining it for awhile lol. But things are looking better these days and hopefully I will get one this morning and my buddy will get one this evening when we hunt together for the first time out of my blind. He has his own blind set up but this would be a good way to end the season and make a great memory together. So hopefully I have a pic of a buck to post this evening lol. Be safe out there and hope you all fill your tags today!

Last edited by bowbuilder1971; 12/10/17 10:22 AM.
Re: Going out now and may be last time I can for the season. Hope I get something in the freezer! [Re: bowbuilder1971] #6990438 12/10/17 12:32 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Good luck with your hunt an your surgery. Hopefully and with prayers maybe so live will be closer to normal for you soon

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Going out now and may be last time I can for the season. Hope I get something in the freezer! [Re: bowbuilder1971] #6990449 12/10/17 12:43 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
TL;DR. But good luck!

Re: Going out now and may be last time I can for the season. Hope I get something in the freezer! [Re: bowbuilder1971] #6990464 12/10/17 01:12 PM
C
catsquirrel Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Get a good one. good luck on surgery

Re: Going out now and may be last time I can for the season. Hope I get something in the freezer! [Re: bowbuilder1971] #6992779 12/12/17 04:40 AM
B
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Thanks everybody. My back ended up disagreeing with me half way through the day and I had to call it quits. But I was able to get out and enjoy the morning, see some deer off to the side of me and spend some time with my buddy after I was done hunting. He had a cold coming on so he decided that it would be best to not hunt with me and chance getting me sick before the surgery lol. But I surprised him with a key to my blind, feeder, gave him my lil’ Buddy Heater, tanks for it and everything he would need to get out hunting more. He was pretty surprised and happy to be able to hunt in a blind with windows, a door and a heater lol. He is such a great friend and he took the truck up to the area, loaded up my backpack for me and helped me change out the camera’s batteries and SD cards. Then he put all the stuff in my car for me. I am truly greatful to have him as a friend! All in all it was still a great season and consistently having deer come close to my stand just let’s me know that I am doing something right lol. I spent a lot of time in my life playing the wind with a recurve or hunting from a climber or fixed Treestand. So this hunting from a hunting blind so close is all new to me.

My blind is set up for crossbow hunting, all the shots are under 50 yards and the deer have come right up to my 5ft tower and actually scratched themselves up against the side of my tower while I was sitting in my blind lmao. Last year I harvested my first Texas buck and by the time I looked up and out the window, I only seen a deer’s butt at the bottom of my window lmao. The darn thing walked right up to the blind and I thought I blew my chance, but he walked back towards the feeder and then hit the pile of Crush that I had put between the feeder and my blind. He went 30 yards to the right and died on the edge of the road on my buddies property. I am going to make some blackpowder measurers and some handles for percussion cap picks out of the antlers for all my buddies who hunt with Muzzleloader. Then I am going to make a couple of inlays for one of my recurve bows and some kind of ornamental decoration for a leather back quiver that I am going to make. God I Love Texas! You see more deer than you have tags for in one hunt and actually catch fish when you go out surfacsting on the beaches lol. Thanks again everybody and I hope you all get your tags filled this season!

Last edited by bowbuilder1971; 12/12/17 04:42 AM.
Re: Going out now and may be last time I can for the season. Hope I get something in the freezer! [Re: bowbuilder1971] #6992848 12/12/17 12:20 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Good luck with your surgery, hope all goes well for you. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Going out now and may be last time I can for the season. Hope I get something in the freezer! [Re: bowbuilder1971] #6992891 12/12/17 01:07 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Good luck!

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Going out now and may be last time I can for the season. Hope I get something in the freezer! [Re: bowbuilder1971] #6992923 12/12/17 01:47 PM
A
alsaenz Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Good on you for getting past the anger--it probably was only taking more from you than the accident already did. My best wishes to you on your surgery.

Re: Going out now and may be last time I can for the season. Hope I get something in the freezer! [Re: bowbuilder1971] #7010686 12/25/17 04:58 AM
B
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Thanks everybody! The surgery went well so far lol. They said that I was supposed to be stuck using a walker for weeks but threw it aside the first 30 seconds using it and started walking completely upright from the get go. The PT guy thinks it’s because I worked on strengthening my back up for so long while recovering from the screwed up discectomy surgery. I don’t know what is causing me to having a strong back still and being able to walk around like I never had a back surgery a week ago, but I am not complaining about it. The doctor was right and I really can’t sit for long in a vehicle right now without feeling kind of sick and uncomfortable but that should change over time. Hopefully I will be able to get back out in February for hog hunting with the rifles and put some meat in the freezer. I am just thankful that everything went so well. I actually feel better now than how I was feeling before the surgery and will be getting my life back now. Best Christmas present ever!

Re: Going out now and may be last time I can for the season. Hope I get something in the freezer! [Re: bowbuilder1971] #7010791 12/25/17 12:38 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Good to hear that you are on the mend BB and I hope you are in the stand soon.

[Linked Image]
Re: Going out now and may be last time I can for the season. Hope I get something in the freezer! [Re: bowbuilder1971] #7010798 12/25/17 12:48 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Good luck on hunting and surgery.............

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide