Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one #6984867 12/06/17 01:15 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Tell me what I need. Application is hunting, and want to be able to learn range (at any magnification) and hit game using only the scope. Through the reticle my vision is fine uncorrected. This is one reason for me finally coming around and learn this. I can have range markers determined for game in 100 yard zones, but need glasses to accurately turn my CDS to the appropriate distance. This works fine, if I have time. The whole glasses on/off BS is a pain. I know I need a mil reticle with .5 mil increments, I want a 30mm tube, 42-50mm obj. I'm lost on the whole SFP/FFP feature, but know I want to be able to see the reticle and range targets (deer mostly) out to 500 yards. I'd spend up to $650, but think I could get decent quality for $500. I've never shopped for a mil reticle/mil adj scope, feel like I'm in a mine field. Throw some recommendations my way, THF members haven't failed me.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #6986109 12/07/17 02:29 AM
JLP83 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I don't know about scopes in your price range. If you want to use the reticle for holdovers at any magnification level then get a ffp. I'd suggest you go look through one first. The reticle will get bigger as you crank up the power. Old farts with bad eyes can have trouble seeing the reticle in low light at a lower power.

In my opinion a Nightforce SHV in mil-r is hard to beat for the money but runs $1250 new for a 4-14x50 f1. You can buy a very gently used one on the forums for a few hundred less.

Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #6986117 12/07/17 02:36 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
SS 3-9X HD

Whole Mils are a diamond, .5 Mils are a hash. It's pretty quick, and the same reticle is in my SS 5-20HD. I bet that scope has done more killing for me than any other. It is what I had with me the last hour of light today, on a dirt road drive, looking for the sounder.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: J.G.] #6986370 12/07/17 11:10 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Been looking at 3-15, all things the same with more magnification?
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
SS 3-9X HD

Whole Mils are a diamond, .5 Mils are a hash. It's pretty quick, and the same reticle is in my SS 5-20HD. I bet that scope has done more killing for me than any other. It is what I had with me the last hour of light today, on a dirt road drive, looking for the sounder.

Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #6986467 12/07/17 01:24 PM
C
Crews Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
FFP scopes are great for what you want to do. A little bit of advice.... make sure you get one with an illuminated reticle. The reticle on a FFP scope can be pretty hard to spot during low-light hunting situations. And I'll second the recommendation for a SWFA SS. You can even add a shim set and have a zero stop very cheap and easy.

Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #6986521 12/07/17 01:57 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I'm getting there. Went into a retailer just so I could get a hands on at a FFP. Never looked through one. This was indoors, and at the lowest level I thought they had handed me a scope with a duplex reticle. At low light, I don't think it will matter, since I won't be taking long shots at that time of day. I'm liking the SWFA as my entry into this whole mil business. The type of hunting I do, I can most of the time have range zones established, but want to be know hold over ahead of time for my load, put it on target and shoot. The time and ability to dial a range on my CDS, while accurate, isn't always available. If illuminated reticle is available on the SWFA, I'll consider it.

Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #6986589 12/07/17 02:40 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If I had it over to buy a scope with reticle illumination, I believe i’d go for one that just had an illuminated dot. The Vortex scopes I have, even at the lowest setting, are too bright. I had a hog at the feeder recently (135 yards) and I had managed to set the feeder to throw corn too early. Just not enough light to see a black reticle on a black hog, so I fiddled with the illumination. Too bright. A tiny red dot would have been perfect.

Luckily, a second group of hogs (the late sleepers, I guess) came later when there was a bit more light.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #6986626 12/07/17 02:59 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
buy a used Bushnell LRHS 3-12 (NOT THE LRS)

you are welcome smile

Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: ccoker] #6986656 12/07/17 03:14 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I'll add it to the list, thanks.
Originally Posted By: ccoker

you are welcome smile

Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #6986702 12/07/17 03:41 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

you are welcome smile

Another great option.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #6986999 12/07/17 05:58 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
SS 3-9X HD

3-15 has non-HD glass, side focus parallax adjustment, and more magnification. 3-9 has HD glass, no parallax adjustment, and less magnification.

There is much consternation about the glass in the 3-15. I find it decent for the price if you get the 3-15 discounted at around $500. For normal price around $700, I'd start looking at a Burris XTR II or Vortex PST Gen 2 as either will have more features and better glass.

Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #6987033 12/07/17 06:27 PM
O
Olshovel Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Definitely FFP if you are going to want to range at different magnifications. I just got a scope this last year to start playing with ranging. It does have an illuminated reticle that does not stand out much during he day, but in low light situations it is great. I have hunted hogs on nights with a lot of moon with no trouble.

Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: patriot07] #6987084 12/07/17 07:04 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Where's the best place to find the $500 discounted price? Other than SWFA, I haven't seen them.
Originally Posted By: patriot07
SS 3-9X HD

3-15 has non-HD glass, side focus parallax adjustment, and more magnification. 3-9 has HD glass, no parallax adjustment, and less magnification.

There is much consternation about the glass in the 3-15. I find it decent for the price if you get the 3-15 discounted at around $500. For normal price around $700, I'd start looking at a Burris XTR II or Vortex PST Gen 2 as either will have more features and better glass.

Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: Olshovel] #6987088 12/07/17 07:05 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
The SWFA 3-15 has illuminated reticle?
Originally Posted By: Olshovel
Definitely FFP if you are going to want to range at different magnifications. I just got a scope this last year to start playing with ranging. It does have an illuminated reticle that does not stand out much during he day, but in low light situations it is great. I have hunted hogs on nights with a lot of moon with no trouble.

Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: J.G.] #6987200 12/07/17 08:24 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C

you are welcome smile

Another great option.

it has a good reticle at low light for hunting..
I run it and two other mil/mil FFP scopes that do have (and need) illumination for low light (Steiner 3-15 tactical and 5-25 military) My S&B 1.5-8 Stratos is FFP and center dot illuminated, just a normal hunting scope though.

Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #6987804 12/08/17 03:34 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Where's the best place to find the $500 discounted price? Other than SWFA, I haven't seen them.
Originally Posted By: patriot07
SS 3-9X HD

They ran it that price on black friday, and they have run it at something around that price on black friday for years now. Unfortunately you got into scope-looking about 2 weeks after the best prices of the year.

Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: J.G.] #6987990 12/08/17 12:11 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
SS 3-9X HD

I would agree with the SS 3-9X HD. If you don't like fiddling with a CDS dial, you won't want to fiddle with a parallax adjustment. The glass is good, the reticle is designed very well for low light. If you are shooting distance, at 9X the reticle is very bold and easy to see. In legal light, you will have no problem with the reticle. Since it's FFP, you don't have to fiddle with the magnification ring. Whatever power your are on, the reticle is correct. If you know your holdover and wind, you could look at your range marker and shoot. I went through an illuminated reticle phase but now I'd rather have better glass and a rock solid adjustments and reliability.

Re: mil reticle/ mil adjustments, gonna get one [Re: scottfromdallas] #6988007 12/08/17 12:29 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I want this to shoot deer, coyotes and pigs to out 500 or so yards. I really need to get a look at this on 9x against a target and see if this is enough magnification for me. I did hear from SWFA, the 3-15 is not the same quality of glass and mechanics as the 3-9 HD. I'll have a look at a target through my VX6 and see what that looks like. That ought to give me an idea.
Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
SS 3-9X HD

I would agree with the SS 3-9X HD. If you don't like fiddling with a CDS dial, you won't want to fiddle with a parallax adjustment. The glass is good, the reticle is designed very well for low light. If you are shooting distance, at 9X the reticle is very bold and easy to see. In legal light, you will have no problem with the reticle. Since it's FFP, you don't have to fiddle with the magnification ring. Whatever power your are on, the reticle is correct. If you know your holdover and wind, you could look at your range marker and shoot. I went through an illuminated reticle phase but now I'd rather have better glass and a rock solid adjustments and reliability.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide