Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... #6985941 12/07/17 12:44 AM
H
HansETX Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
So I've tried to call in hogs in the past with not much luck. I see videos and hear stories of people successfully calling in hogs all the time. So the question is...what have I been doing wrong? I decided to buy an electronic game caller a while back and I've been very successful calling in coyotes with it. I decided to try and start trying to call in hogs again, mostly because the hogs are laying really low right now and the corn isn't bringing them out like it was in the summer.

So I started up the call using the baby pig distress and I almost fell over with excitement with the sight of a nice sized boar hog walking out of the woods in the direction of caller. I turned off the caller when he got closer and finally decided to take a headshot when he stopped at about 90 yards away. The first shot hurt him but he was still able to run. After hitting him with a couple more shots he finally dropped in some thick brush about 20 yards deep in the yards.

I know that I need to practice to get better at calling in hogs but man, this makes hog hunting a lot easier...

HansETX on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/hansetx
"The Late Night Vision Show" Podcast | All Things Night Vision- Available on iTunes, Google Play, iHeart Radio, YouTube
https://www.thelatenightvisionshow.com
Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6985952 12/07/17 12:50 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Tried many times only worked once for me but the one time it worked I called in 4 medium sized boars at one time in west TX.

Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: SapperTitan] #6985988 12/07/17 01:07 AM
H
HansETX Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Tried many times only worked once for me but the one time it worked I called in 4 medium sized boars at one time in west TX.

I hear ya ST. I've tried before but I always gave up soon after starting... Maybe there's a science to it but I haven't figured it out yet..

"The Late Night Vision Show" Podcast | All Things Night Vision- Available on iTunes, Google Play, iHeart Radio, YouTube
Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6986030 12/07/17 01:43 AM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I've tried calling them with my Fox and, quite honestly, my "success" rate has been such that I decided they was just random events. I was working the caller and the hogs wandered out about the same time as the caller was going off! Never had but one occasion when I thought I'd really called in a hog, and that was with a piglet distress call that resulted in a good sized sow coming in to investigate. I don't mean to discourage you from keeping on trying, but I sure haven't had much luck in the last 5-6 years.

Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6986055 12/07/17 01:58 AM
Lance Vick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Was calling for coyotes with dying rabbit and this big boar came in hot
We killed it ,thought I'd try it again on different property called in another boar with dying rabbit
Luck or coincidence,,don't know but it was cool,,, need to try again ,,,believe I will Friday night

Last edited by Deadend; 12/07/17 01:59 AM.

Contact Lance@texashuntingland.com
www.texashuntingland.com
Deadend Outfitters
903-312-0609 Lance Vick
Fun begins where the road ends,
www.deadendoutfitters.com
www.guideonlakefork.com
Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6986087 12/07/17 02:15 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I think I usually give up too soon when calling for his and its usually after trying to call coyotes for a while. Ive never dedicated time to only calling hogs. When I called in the 4 boars at once I was playing boars sparring.

Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6986224 12/07/17 03:35 AM
P
Pig_Popper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Nicely done Hans , I have had ZERO luck calling hogs and I could SEE them.

They show no interest or run the opposite direction

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6986245 12/07/17 03:45 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I just watched the video and I'm not sure he came to the caller. He didn't really seem interested in it at all. Looked like he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The videos I've seen of calling in hogs the hogs are running to the call not just meandering around. Still a cool video and good shooting though.

Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6986272 12/07/17 04:00 AM
A
aggiehunter03 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I’ve called in a bunch. Dominant boars defending territory.

Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: SapperTitan] #6986273 12/07/17 04:00 AM
H
HansETX Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
I just watched the video and I'm not sure he came to the caller. He didn't really seem interested in it at all. Looked like he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The videos I've seen of calling in hogs the hogs are running to the call not just meandering around. Still a cool video and good shooting though.

Yeah, I hear ya. I really have no clue on how long to leave the caller on and when to start and stop it. When he was further away he seemed more interested in the sound, his head was up a lot and looking towards the caller, but as he got closer he was doing more sniffing around in the dirt..

Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6986281 12/07/17 04:03 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: HansETX

Yeah, I hear ya. I really have no clue on how long to leave the caller on and when to start and stop it. When he was further away he seemed more interested in the sound, his head was up a lot and looking towards the caller, but as he got closer he was doing more sniffing around in the dirt..
Either way its a dead hog lol. Hell I've killed more coyotes while hog and deer hunting than while calling them haha. The only thing that matters is one less hog.

Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: SapperTitan] #6986344 12/07/17 06:06 AM
H
HansETX Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H

Either way its a dead hog lol. Hell I've killed more coyotes while hog and deer hunting than while calling them haha. The only thing that matters is one less hog.

Lol true.. I just wish i could get a good system of calling them in... right now they are eating acorns and they don’t seem interested in corn or bait..

Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6986350 12/07/17 07:23 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

Lol true.. I just wish i could get a good system of calling them in... right now they are eating acorns and they don’t seem interested in corn or bait..
well if you figure it out let me know too lol

Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6986484 12/07/17 01:38 PM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
Only Hog I have called in was with a sow I had shot in the hind quarters. She was squealing like a pig and he came running in fast to defend her. Of course that was one of his girls and it wasn't an electric caller. Wish I could have recorded her squealing.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6986839 12/07/17 04:36 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Good vid!

I have had very mixed luck with calling hogs. Sow protection and Sow Hysteria are two calls I like to use in conjunction with Piglet Distress (squealing piglets). I have had hogs come in that I could not initially see (blind calling). I have called in hogs that I could see and had them come from as far as 900+ yards. I have hogs that I could see that just flat out ignored the caller regardless of what it was putting out. And here twice lately, I have had hogs that I could see that RAN AWAY when I tried Sow Hysteria.

When it works, it works great. For blind calling when I don't even know if any hogs are around, 9+ times out of 10, I get ZERO hogs that come. And sometimes, it hurts your hunt.

With that said, more often that I call in hogs with Sow Hysteria, I call in coyotes. They seem to have quite an interest in the call and I have shot several coyotes with that and Piglet Distress.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6986893 12/07/17 05:07 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
HansETX, thanks for posting. This is an interesting discussion.
Getting a came caller is on my list of things to do, but not very high right now. Still, the topic is intriguing.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: der Teufel] #6987282 12/07/17 09:22 PM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
Originally Posted By: der Teufel
Getting a came caller is on my list of things to do, but not very high right now. Still, the topic is intriguing.

Pretty easy to make one. Your smartphone can be the MP3 player, just need a small battery powered amp and a speaker.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: VAFish] #6987381 12/07/17 10:34 PM
H
HansETX Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: VAFish
Originally Posted By: der Teufel

Pretty easy to make one. Your smartphone can be the MP3 player, just need a small battery powered amp and a speaker.

Very True..

Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6989114 12/09/17 01:13 AM
C
crozierk Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I sat in my truck and played a youtube video (really just a sound clip) through my speakers. Just rolled down the windows and cranked it up. sat on top of the truck with my phone and would let it run for about 30 seconds and then cut it off for about 5 minutes. After about 20 minutes of calling we were seeing eyes with a spotilight. Seemed to be 3 or 4 pigs judging by the sound they were making. ended up veering away from us around 150 yards out I'd guess but if we set it up a little better I think it wouldve worked.

Last edited by crozierk; 12/09/17 01:14 AM.
Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: crozierk] #6989126 12/09/17 01:22 AM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: crozierk
I sat in my truck and played a youtube video (really just a sound clip) through my speakers. Just rolled down the windows and cranked it up. sat on top of the truck with my phone and would let it run for about 30 seconds and then cut it off for about 5 minutes. After about 20 minutes of calling we were seeing eyes with a spotilight. Seemed to be 3 or 4 pigs judging by the sound they were making. ended up veering away from us around 150 yards out I'd guess but if we set it up a little better I think it wouldve worked.

Keep us advised of your progress, please!!

Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6989419 12/09/17 10:15 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
This last weekend My SIL and I were at the lease in Hamilton Co. He had just bought a caller and downloaded some hog calls. I was sitting about 500 yds and around a large hilltop from where he and two of my grandchildren were. I could hear the call very well. About 15 min of him calling off and on a large boar came by me headed in the opposite direction. I served him one of Chad's 168gr Amax for a dirt nap. Bottom line this one should have been able to hear like me, and I'm deef. Who knows maybe we will try the rabbit more.

Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6989526 12/09/17 01:51 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
No calls needed. They just run all over the damn place like illegals. Hate all of them.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: crozierk] #6992113 12/11/17 07:59 PM
H
HansETX Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: crozierk

That aint a bad idea... for real..

Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6992116 12/11/17 08:01 PM
H
HansETX Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
when I use an electronic hog caller I always feel like I'm going to scare off the hogs instead of bring them in, but there's people that are very successful at getting them to come in..

Re: Calling In Hogs With An Electronic Caller... [Re: HansETX] #6992144 12/11/17 08:19 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
no luck for me either - coyotes come in from time to time, but no hogs yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide