Forums46
Topics537,995
Posts9,731,556
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: txtrophy85] #6978857 12/01/17 05:09 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I think it comes down to as you age and change as a hunter you want different things. You need to hunt amongst people who are in the same stage as you.

Like any guy I like a big high scoring buck, but I'm happy to shoot a good solid 8pt too. I do like to strive for mature deer, but shoot does with little regard for age and culls at whatever age we identify them as such and are able to get them. They are culls, but they are as fun as anything to me. To me the management just adds more to it, it doesn't take it away. I see some of the deer that we are letting get older and it gets my heart pounding etc. just seeing them I don't have to shoot them, but hopefully one day me or my dad or brother or one of our kids will.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: txtrophy85] #6978990 12/01/17 07:04 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
. . . . Not a trophy in anyone's eyes, not even mine. . . .

a trophy is what you make of it. i've killed a bunch of "trophy" does and pencil racks

Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6979096 12/01/17 08:36 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Lots of guys hunt, but their focus has turned to killing, antler size, and gear these days. Why? It’s all they know because they didn’t grow up outdoors and time doesn’t allow them to really spend much time just roaming the woods/brush/hills.

Most guys spend more time talking about hunting than actually hunting. It’s not their fault, just the way it is these days. Life moves fast in the 21st century.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: rob valle] #6979220 12/01/17 10:50 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: rob valle
beating ourselves up over 5" of antler or 1 year of the animals age has gotten to the point of ridiculousness and has zapped the fun outta the sport moreso than anything else

You are not kidding. I know some deer leases down south where you are heavily fined or kicked off the place if the deer you shoot is one inch less than 140". Or 150". Or whatever standards they set for themselves. Same goes for the deer's age. Shoot a three or four year old buck and it's adios for you. The whole experience is nerve wracking, and not fun at all. I know they are trying to grow big deer, but paying a 1500.00 fine on top of the 6000.00 + you paid to get on the place just sucks.

I know of a ranch in south texas. 5k acre not crowded and they kill some big deer. Price isn't bad either

Rule is you have to video a buck you want to shoot and take it back and review it with the lease boss before you get the go ahead

Forget that noise I'd rather kill deer at will

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: txtrophy85] #6979227 12/01/17 10:56 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I know of a ranch in south texas. 5k acre not crowded and they kill some big deer. Price isn't bad either

Rule is you have to video a buck you want to shoot and take it back and review it with the lease boss before you get the go ahead

'...that.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: Creekrunner] #6979229 12/01/17 10:58 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

'...that.

Yeah no joke, that's shopping at IKEA like IMO.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: txtrophy85] #6979441 12/02/17 02:27 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Yeah I’m out on that. Lol I’m only going to see one I want once - if I’m lucky. Can’t relate to that “video and show it to the lease boss” mess.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6979576 12/02/17 09:49 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Yeah I’m out on that. Lol I’m only going to see one I want once - if I’m lucky. Can’t relate to that “video and show it to the lease boss” mess.

I've heard about that happening on a lease a relative was on, and the lease manager ended up killing the deer after being shown the video.
The lease manager became the ex lease manager shortly afterward but for other reasons.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: Jimbo] #6979587 12/02/17 10:59 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

I've heard about that happening on a lease a relative was on, and the lease manager ended up killing the deer after being shown the video.
The lease manager became the ex lease manager shortly afterward but for other reasons.

Yep, I would suspect it's more about a power trip and "right of first refusal" than any true management goal. The goal there is "me first". Makes me appreciate the guys on my lease.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: txtrophy85] #6979700 12/02/17 02:47 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
My "heyday" is located in Central Texas and is still going and betting better.

Back in the first half of 1900, most folks still hunted for meat.
As refrigerators started showing up, there was a shift in meat consumption from wild to domestic raised meat.
The true hunters continued to hunt.

When hunting in the 60's, the deer population was down from hunting but showing signs of recovery.
They were still few and far between - you might go the entire season only seeing tracks.
The deer were extremely wary from being hunted for centuries and would bolt instantly.

Between then and now, folks started moving out of the cities and spreading into the country.
More and more farms and ranches were converted to wildlife management.
Feeding the birdies and wildlife became a way of life.
Since they feed them, they become pets and not targets and the deer adapted and thrived.
And got a lot less wary and much more tolerant of people.

This has increased the deer population exponentially in this area.
Along with more deer comes better deer up to a point before they reach saturation.
It seems like we are almost to the point that they need to increase bag limit.

In the 60's, you might see a deer track so you knew they were in the area.
Today, I have them sleeping in my yard and built a high fence to keep them out of the garden.
You simply can't grow a Jalapeno in the open around here as they seem to have a weakness for them...leaves, peppers, stalks and ALL!

While everybody is feeding the deer, I have seen an increase in the turkeys and my favorite target, pigs!!
Now if we could do something with the fireants so Quail would return.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: txtrophy85] #6980493 12/03/17 03:26 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
been at it now for around sixty years - you could apply the changes in deer hunting to anything else in life over that many years - things change - some for the good and some for the bad- welcome to life

I do not hunt like I did when I was a teenager but then again I was hunting 100 inch 8 points. Now I hunt differently but I hunt deer pushing 200 inches on LF ranch - I miss some of the old days and other things I do not miss.

As long as it is fair chase and legal then I am all for progress - Why? Because you nor I can stop it

You can't fix stupid
Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: Western] #6980539 12/03/17 04:15 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Western

'...that.

Obviously, it’s STX, no real woods.

Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: txtrophy85] #6980620 12/03/17 10:52 AM
B
bass101 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I enjoy bringing my kids more than hunting alone.

Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: txtrophy85] #6980763 12/03/17 02:19 PM
S
SmallTownHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I don't think that my "heyday" has passed already, I hunt pretty much every single day during deer season and I used to not be able to. I killed my first deer at age 7 outside of Albany, Tx with a open sight .30-30, crazy amount of deer around there in the early 90's.

Hunting has been my passion in life since then and there is no way I could only drive out on the weekends/holidays to be in the woods, I enjoy it too much. Some people in my family say I'm obsessed but I don't care, it's what keeps me going.

Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: txtrophy85] #6981309 12/03/17 11:34 PM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
My passion has changed somewhat. I love to hunt I love the deer. I have been fortunate to hunt the world over. I bow hunt and love the outdoors. This past few weeks I have had the chance to help my daughter get her first deer as well as my nephew. their excitement is pure and not caught up in anything buy pure hunting joy. I felt like I was 7 again. that is my future in hunting and will get me excited again.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: rifleman] #6982513 12/04/17 09:40 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: rifleman

'...that.

You must be of those guys who wants to get patted on the back because you killed a deer in east Texas.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: txtrophy85] #6982546 12/04/17 10:01 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don't want any pats on the back, but videoing a deer and then knowing you can kill it later ain't gonna happen on my place in east TX. Period. It don't work that way and ain't never gonna work that way. The first time you see a mature buck is very, very likely the last time you will see him.

All the talk I see on here about "herd history", photos of bucks that are later shot, "letting the herd age/knowing your herd", and basically all manner of other stuff where mature bucks are known like cattle and can be shopped for like groceries is all foreign to me. I have trail cam photos of deer I have and will likely never see. I see mature bucks that I do not have a single trail camera pic of and have never laid eyes on every year. There are a few that hang around enough to get familiar with from year to year (through TC pics), but very few. Even those you may not see but once a year - if you see them at all. I have owned the place for almost 15 years and my family hunts it exclusively.

East TX is a different world than most everywhere else in TX - in almost every respect.

I like it that way BTW....

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: txtrophy85] #6982588 12/04/17 10:15 PM
R
Red Cloud Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
NOPE.

Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: Red Cloud] #6982809 12/04/17 11:58 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Red Cloud
NOPE.
Done with my kids....soon to be working on the grandkids......

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6982883 12/05/17 12:40 AM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I don't want any pats on the back, but videoing a deer and then knowing you can kill it later ain't gonna happen on my place in east TX. Period. It don't work that way and ain't never gonna work that way. The first time you see a mature buck is very, very likely the last time you will see him.

We've got a large LF place in the western hill country. I do get some repeat older bucks on cameras and at feeders, but by and large if you see a big old deer (over 5), you damn well better shoot him and fast. You very well may not ever have any sort of shot at him again, or ever see him again on foot or camera. The idea that you could videotape him, take it back for people to discuss, then go back and check him out (as in the grocery store) is nowhere near our reality.

Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: ErnestTBass] #6982904 12/05/17 12:51 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass

We've got a large LF place in the western hill country. I do get some repeat older bucks on cameras and at feeders, but by and large if you see a big old deer (over 5), you damn well better shoot him and fast. You very well may not ever have any sort of shot at him again, or ever see him again on foot or camera. The idea that you could videotape him, take it back for people to discuss, then go back and check him out (as in the grocery store) is nowhere near our reality.

One of the places I hunt is a LF place and around 6500 acres of leased land. Almost every deer that is shot, I have a tc picture of or have seen in person. There are a few exceptions. Most the pictures come from one of 5 stands scattered across the property.

Typically, I can go back and find the deer from the previous years also.

I would never personally hunt a place that I had to get video approval prior to pulling the trigger, but I truly enjoy watching progression from year to year and everything that I can learn from those deer.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: txshntr] #6982915 12/05/17 12:59 AM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass

One of the places I hunt is a LF place and around 6500 acres of leased land. Almost every deer that is shot, I have a tc picture of or have seen in person. There are a few exceptions. Most the pictures come from one of 5 stands scattered across the property.

Typically, I can go back and find the deer from the previous years also.

I would never personally hunt a place that I had to get video approval prior to pulling the trigger, but I truly enjoy watching progression from year to year and everything that I can learn from those deer.

Usually, when someone shoots a mature buck, I've got it on camera. But not always. And sometimes it's just a pic or two in the middle of the night from a different place. And there's dang sure no certainty you'll go back out and find him again.

I do not think this is because neighbors shoot them necessarily. It's just a wild place, and we don't tend to see the big boys unless they're chasing a doe and getting dumb. Rarely would we have a mature buck habituated to a feeder. I don't know why.

But that wildness/mystery of what might or might not show up is a big part of what makes it fun for me. I would not enjoy it nearly as much if I knew with a reasonable level of certainty what was going to show up at a feeder.

As answer to the question, to me the wildness/mystery of the outdoors is what really makes it fun. I am not as much in my heyday as when I was hunting huge LF places with my grandfather. But I also haven't lost it. I try to keep it together as much as I can for kids and friends. While I do want to take good care of the herd, I also don't want to put a bunch of rules on it that take the mystery and fun out of it. Some people (especially youngsters and new hunters) need to be able to shoot deer and have fun.

Last edited by ErnestTBass; 12/05/17 01:05 AM.
Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: txtrophy85] #6982961 12/05/17 01:25 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
+1000 on the “wildness and mystery” on what is out there and might show up.

Deer being known so well they are something awfully akin to livestock is not something I would ever want to be a part of. It has apparently become almost the rule rather than the exception from a lot of the stuff I read on here.

I’m glad I hunt where it’s not possible even if one wanted it to be.

Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: txtrophy85] #6982988 12/05/17 01:36 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: rifleman

'...that.

You must be of those guys who wants to get patted on the back because you killed a deer in east Texas.

Just making the most of the IKEA reference.

Re: Has your hunting "heyday" came and went? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6983164 12/05/17 03:04 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
+1000 on the “wildness and mystery” on what is out there and might show up.

Deer being known so well they are something awfully akin to livestock is not something I would ever want to be a part of. It has apparently become almost the rule rather than the exception from a lot of the stuff I read on here.

I’m glad I hunt where it’s not possible even if one wanted it to be.

On 200 acres, there is a lot of unknowns. On 10k acres, they pretty much live on you.

Knowing your deer is not akin to livestock...smh...

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide