Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The bumbling effect. #6977370 11/30/17 02:09 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
There's a friend on the lease, always happy, positive, builds everyone up. 'Wish I could be more like him (in that regard). He also, loses the cabin key consistently, runs out of gas, forgets things both at home and when he leaves the lease, gets lost on the lease, doesn't worry too much about what feeders are full, cameras, etc., you get the picture.

Here's the thing - he kills decent deer, and an amazing Texas mulie last year. He just has fun and lets the cards fall as they may.

I've met another guy on a couple of random, spread out across the U.S., hunts. Wealthy California farmer. He puts pirates to shame with his drinking, rarely have I seen worse. First hunt he crapped out, but on a guided alligator hunt, he killed an absolute monster.

All just luck, maybe a "fun" attitude? Hunting just isn't that hard and we complicate things?

'Just thought it might be an interesting topic. Maybe not.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6977389 11/30/17 02:22 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Hunting can become work if you let it. I was obsessed with a particular buck last year and towards the end of the season hunting him felt more like a job than anything else. I didn’t get him. If I had, I might have a different take. smile I didn’t want to get in that mindset again.

This year I got back to my normal approach-serious, but not obsessed. I took a nice buck (my first in several years) and am now enjoying “guiding” my kids and wife. Maybe one of them will get him.

When I go on a hunt out west or up north, I try to enjoy the experience. I don’t want to shoot just any animal, but a good mature animal is all I seek. My mindset is the first mature animal I see was meant to be “my” ram/bear/elk/pronghorn, and I am happy with him.

Hunting should be “fun”. If it’s not, what’s the point? But “fun” can be different things to different people.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6977446 11/30/17 03:09 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
CR, maybe not a correct analogy to what you're getting at, but...

When I was in school, I worked at a manufacturing plant, there was an older than Christmas electrician we called "Santa", (Pure white hair and full beard), he would shake so bad, he had to use 2 hands to hold a sandwich at lunch just to keep the contents between the pieces of bread. ( Later learned it was Parkinson's).

He shook all the time, but when he went into an electric cabinet, or circuit, his hands would steady to the point he could probably do brain surgery..

Maybe the type fellas you reference just take a lighter toll on the whole thing, but "dead" serious at the moment it matters?

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6977461 11/30/17 03:26 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
It’s fun to be around positive funny people regardless of their quirks up

texas flag

Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6977479 11/30/17 03:45 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I was that guy some years back.
My best years were the ones I didn't hunt hard. It stirs my Dad and brothers up to this day. They would work hard on hunting and back then I liked to drink a lot. I'd wake up late so they put me on the opposite side of the ranch. grin Since then I have matured but I'd rather be lucky than good any day. I have 5 stories that would probably make anyone who hunts hard mad.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6977492 11/30/17 03:58 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Luck has a whole lot to do with hunting. The best hunters in the world have zero ability to control when and where a free range animal is going to go. Like hook_n_line said... some day's it's better to be lucky than good.

But I'm still one of those type A people that tries my damndest to "make my own luck" with strategy and by being prepared. Suspect most of the guy's on this forum are the same.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6977503 11/30/17 04:00 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I’m not a “bumbler”, but I am starting to forget things/do stupid stuff more than I used to. At least I think I am - maybe I just always did but didn’t notice or care about it when I was younger. confused2

Lists are my friend these days.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6977508 11/30/17 04:03 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
My personal rules-
1)It’s just a deer don’t ruin your name over it.
2)Have fun, hunt your hunt
3)Don’t over think it,
4)You like it, shot it -but with reference back to #1
5)Then never second guess,no reason nothing lives for ever.

6) and my favorite-Never forget or doubt the for just for S’s & giggles last bugle, it ain’t over until you quit

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: dkershen] #6977525 11/30/17 04:10 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: dkershen
Luck has a whole lot to do with hunting. The best hunters in the world have zero ability to control when and where a free range animal is going to go. Like hook_n_line said... some day's it's better to be lucky than good.

But I'm still one of those type A people that tries my damndest to "make my own luck" with strategy and by being prepared. Suspect most of the guy's on this forum are the same.

My personal thought is lucky is minute at best. Game of averages and understanding. Best hunters I have met, hunt more with out the gun then the do with, they also know when they are beat, but don’t let it get them down,

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6977662 11/30/17 06:18 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
"Bumbling Luck" I like it. A few pics included.

1. My dad wanted to be in the woods at 5 am. Cool, I dropped him off and went to visit with the landowner who poured me a cup of coffee and wanted to talk. Was way passed sunrise and he said go ahead and go hunt. I tied a string with trails end on it walked 200yrds climbed in a hanging stand for 5 minutes a 4 yr old 8 pt comes in snorting and grunting. Down deer.

2. Spent the night out with the landowner and Jack Daniels and woke up about 7:45. Grabbed a pop went out and set it up. 15 minutes went by and old Jack was tearing up my insides. Walking fast back to the truck and out come 4 does and i stopped and looked for a better way to the truck when a big 6 yr old 10 steps out behind them. He stopped and was staring at my truck that was 135yrds away. He was only 70 yrds from me when I dropped him. Then I ran for the paper in the truck.

3. Sleeping on a log during a Lake Waco hunt and my wife texts me to see if I saw anything. I opened my eyes and texted nothing but my eyelids. Then I heard the panting and running of a hot doe. She literally jumped the end of my shotgun barrel so I rolled out of the way which made the 4 year old 6pt buck that was chasing her stop long enough for me to give him a 20guage slug.

4. I was out hunting with my friend for his birthday and only 2 of us got up to hunt the next morning. After I was in the blind and had the road in front of me covered in deer one of the other hunters decides to ride by running them all off. 5 minutes after he passed by and I let him know i was in the blind a big 6 yr old 8 point comes out and the .270 hit the mark.

5. I was walking to a blind one morning dragging some trails end on a string and I kept hearing noise behind me. I started walking faster and faster because whatever it was was gaining on me. I get to the edge of the tree line and see the shadow of a deer. I walk out into the field because I knew he was ready for a fight and I couldn't get in my tree stand fast enough with my bow in my hand. I crouched down and 5 yr old 9 point put his head down and starts posturing to me I knocked and arrow and at 8 yrds he gave me the shot. ( I almost needed new britches on this one.)

Last edited by hook_n_line; 11/30/17 06:39 PM.

Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6977769 11/30/17 07:56 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
there's a reason my business is called bigiron ranch adventures.

You hang out with me you're gonna get involved in an adventure of some sort. I don't live a life I can plan out. There's not a german cell in my body.

My 'preparation' for life is my ability to adapt and overcome, and my ability to troubleshoot. Those attributes I hone to make up for my inability to plan.

My dad always said I could climb out of a pile of chit smelling like a rose. I work hardest at having fun and don't let the little things bother me.

That's the formula I've used for nearly 62 years. Works for me.

And I can promise you I planned/fretted less for my 191" muley than anyone else on our lease.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: hook_n_line] #6977778 11/30/17 08:18 PM
D
D'hanis Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
"Bumbling Luck" I like it. A few pics included.

1. My dad wanted to be in the woods at 5 am. Cool, I dropped him off and went to visit with the landowner who poured me a cup of coffee and wanted to talk. Was way passed sunrise and he said go ahead and go hunt. I tied a string with trails end on it walked 200yrds climbed in a hanging stand for 5 minutes a 4 yr old 8 pt comes in snorting and grunting. Down deer.

2. Spent the night out with the landowner and Jack Daniels and woke up about 7:45. Grabbed a pop went out and set it up. 15 minutes went by and old Jack was tearing up my insides. Walking fast back to the truck and out come 4 does and i stopped and looked for a better way to the truck when a big 6 yr old 10 steps out behind them. He stopped and was staring at my truck that was 135yrds away. He was only 70 yrds from me when I dropped him. Then I ran for the paper in the truck.

3. Sleeping on a log during a Lake Waco hunt and my wife texts me to see if I saw anything. I opened my eyes and texted nothing but my eyelids. Then I heard the panting and running of a hot doe. She literally jumped the end of my shotgun barrel so I rolled out of the way which made the 4 year old 6pt buck that was chasing her stop long enough for me to give him a 20guage slug.

4. I was out hunting with my friend for his birthday and only 2 of us got up to hunt the next morning. After I was in the blind and had the road in front of me covered in deer one of the other hunters decides to ride by running them all off. 5 minutes after he passed by and I let him know i was in the blind a big 6 yr old 8 point comes out and the .270 hit the mark.

5. I was walking to a blind one morning dragging some trails end on a string and I kept hearing noise behind me. I started walking faster and faster because whatever it was was gaining on me. I get to the edge of the tree line and see the shadow of a deer. I walk out into the field because I knew he was ready for a fight and I couldn't get in my tree stand fast enough with my bow in my hand. I crouched down and 5 yr old 9 point put his head down and starts posturing to me I knocked and arrow and at 8 yrds he gave me the shot. ( I almost needed new britches on this one.)

This post makes me think that I overthink it all sometimes. Moving back "home" this past year I've been able to hunt our small place harder and prepare more than I ever have in the past. Several cameras, feeders routinely checked, etc. It's been a tough year but I find myself constantly doubting where I'm hunting based off of game camera pictures, weather, etc. Thinking that maybe I need to just go hunt and let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited by D'hanis; 11/30/17 09:29 PM.
Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6977788 11/30/17 08:29 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
clap

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: D'hanis] #6977835 11/30/17 09:15 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
BINGO D'Hanis!

Last edited by hook_n_line; 11/30/17 09:16 PM.

Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6977942 11/30/17 10:45 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I'm definitely in the Type-A, obsess, plan too much, and probably take it too serious crowd. I could stand to chill out a bit. This year I'm hung up on hunting one buck. So, I'm hunting his core territory relentlessly and spending 90% of my time in one stand rather than enjoying other parts of the ranch. Just goes that way some years. I'm telling myself next year I'll just go wherever the wind blows me and take what the brush gives me.

I definitely hunt with some guys who are way more laid back. They do whatever they feel like at the moment. My favorite is when you ask them "where you hunting in the am?" Classic answer is "I don't know." There have been a few times where Lady Luck has fallen on their side. But, overall the planning and prep seem to pay off (but not always). They are not so much bumblers, but they do ignore a few basics which I think hurt them, like failing to heed the wind.

We do seem to have equal amounts of fun, which at the end of the day is the important part. And I enjoy their company because we balance each other out.

hook_n_line those are some great stories! I'll take lucky over good any day.

Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6977943 11/30/17 10:46 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
DON'T PLAY POKER WITH THAT GUY!!!!

Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Walkabout] #6978011 11/30/17 11:47 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Walkabout

Very wise words. roflmao

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6978034 12/01/17 12:01 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Hunting is more of a rush than anything Las Vegas has to offer. I love hunting with kids the most; when the dad asks me to get them a doe or a cull, we see some beast on those hunts. Those deer never show up when a guy hunting for a trophy.
My daughter went out this last week hunting for a doe or "any 8 pointer." She shot an 8 pointer alright... scored 163.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Simple Searcher] #6978037 12/01/17 12:02 AM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Hunting is more of a rush than anything Las Vegas has to offer. I love hunting with kids the most; when the dad asks me to get them a doe or a cull, we see some beast on those hunts. Those deer never show up when a guy hunting for a trophy.
My daughter went out this last week hunting for a doe or "any 8 pointer." She shot an 8 pointer alright... scored 163.

Kids are luck encapsulated. Particularly my step-daughter. 'Never seen anything like it.

Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6978187 12/01/17 01:41 AM
V
varnoldi13 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
My girlfriend was smoking a cigarette while checking facebook when her target buck nose knocked the feeder to spill out more corn. She had to drop her smoke to draw back her bow at 22 yards. Some just have that kind of luck. She was hunting by herself that day.

"If you put a Yeti sticker on it, you'll get another 50 FPS"-soonerorlaters
Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6978236 12/01/17 02:18 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
hook_n_line,

You suck!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6978237 12/01/17 02:18 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Originally Posted By: Walkabout

Very wise words. roflmao

Fact!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6978290 12/01/17 02:47 AM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
This thread hits home this year. Although not deer hunting, thus far I’ve been so caught up in finding the “x” for birds, taking myself way to seriously when I miss a shot I should’ve made and just generally putting a lot of pressure on myself. I’m already tired of it and the best of the season is ahead of me. Need to slow down, enjoy the time with friends and stop getting so frustrated when things don’t work out like they should. Last year was a good year and I don’t remember one hunt that I didn’t enjoy; same with years prior. Something changed this year, taking things much to seriously and always putting a negative spin on things. Good reminder to enjoy the experience and not get so focused on the hunt that I lose out on the memories.

Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: J.G.] #6978567 12/01/17 01:49 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
hook_n_line,

You suck!

Just for that I'll tell you another one. My birthday 2008 I was hunting and saw nothing. My buddy came and picked me up to go get some breakfast. I loved to drink back then so it was grapefruit and vodka from the liquor store. On the way back we stopped at one of our gates to mix a drink when out in the pasture i saw a flash. It was a bobcat pouncing on field mice. I eased out of the car and since I'd been 'still hunting' i had a leaf suit on. I'd take a few steps and the cat would look my way and I'd stop. I had to make it to the fence so I could rest my rifle on the fence post. I only had one good arm because I had shattered my shoulder a few weeks before (messed up story). It took 10 minutes to get to the right post and bang. Kitty is stuffed.

Re: The bumbling effect. [Re: Creekrunner] #6978652 12/01/17 02:42 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Hook n line, do me a favor. Kill a rabbit and send me the foot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide