Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,041
Posts9,719,733
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Looking for Father/Son Kansas Whitetail Hunt in December #6966578 11/20/17 03:55 PM
B
bignoggin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Greetings THF Nation. I would like to give my 15yo son a whitetail hunt for his big Christmas gift this year. We are driving from DFW area to Denver once school lets out and have the ability to choose our route and stop wherever along the way for a few days (mom and daughter are flying). So, I was thinking Kansas might be a good place for him to have a shot at a nice buck he would be proud to put on the wall. I will not be shooting anything myself. Can anyone recommend an outfitter in Kansas that would be reasonably priced for a youth? Or perhaps anyhwere between DFW and Denver? I know its late notice, but was thinking that might get us a better deal. Also, he is an experienced/good shot inside of 200yds. I should also add that we prefer the typical whitetail over the complex bred ones that look like they are from another planet. We dont necessarily want a really tough long hunt, since we will need to make it to Denver at some point. Maybe a couple of days. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bignoggin; 11/20/17 04:07 PM.
Re: Looking for Father/Son Kansas Whitetail Hunt in December [Re: bignoggin] #6966588 11/20/17 04:03 PM
B
bignoggin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Thought I would also add that we are not married to the idea of a whitetail hunt. We could take a different route up through Raton/Trinidad and maybe do a mule deer hunt. Pronghorn also an option I guess. Certainly open to options. Thanks again.

Re: Looking for Father/Son Kansas Whitetail Hunt in December [Re: bignoggin] #6966812 11/20/17 06:28 PM
M
mbavo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
M
I believe out of state hunters have to draw a permit to hunt in Kansas.

Re: Looking for Father/Son Kansas Whitetail Hunt in December [Re: bignoggin] #6967507 11/21/17 02:39 AM
W
Warrior Poet Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
You're going to have a problem in Kansas buddy, you need a permit and the draw is in April.

Get yourself a permit next year and PM me. I hunt every year at a fantastic place, great family environment, and great giant bucks. The price is cheap.

Re: Looking for Father/Son Kansas Whitetail Hunt in December [Re: bignoggin] #6967596 11/21/17 04:17 AM
E
esnow74 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I bet you can find something that a 15yo would be proud to hang on the wall for a similar cost between here and Colorado. Going to Kansas as a nonresident to an outfitter is going to be a minimum of $3K plus travel and there are some good deer to be had in Texas for that not to mention a cheaper license and less out of the way travel. Also don't overlook Oklahoma, big deer, reasonable drive, reasonable cost but probably would be archery at that time but I don't know for sure.

Re: Looking for Father/Son Kansas Whitetail Hunt in December [Re: Warrior Poet] #6967897 11/21/17 03:22 PM
B
bignoggin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Warrior Poet
You're going to have a problem in Kansas buddy, you need a permit and the draw is in April.

Get yourself a permit next year and PM me. I hunt every year at a fantastic place, great family environment, and great giant bucks. The price is cheap.

Thank you very much. Clearly I did not know about the permit etc. Anyone else have any fairly last minute suggestions between DFW and Denver - willing to vere off the route some if needed. Guess I could considee a sandhill hunt as well. Thanks again.

Re: Looking for Father/Son Kansas Whitetail Hunt in December [Re: esnow74] #6967904 11/21/17 03:26 PM
B
bignoggin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: esnow74
I bet you can find something that a 15yo would be proud to hang on the wall for a similar cost between here and Colorado. Going to Kansas as a nonresident to an outfitter is going to be a minimum of $3K plus travel and there are some good deer to be had in Texas for that not to mention a cheaper license and less out of the way travel. Also don't overlook Oklahoma, big deer, reasonable drive, reasonable cost but probably would be archery at that time but I don't know for sure.

Great point. My son has a lifetime Texas license, so maybe someone knows of an outfitter located somewhere between DFW and New Mexico....? As yall can see, I dont do many pay hunts so dont know the drill. Thanks!

Re: Looking for Father/Son Kansas Whitetail Hunt in December [Re: bignoggin] #6968201 11/21/17 07:04 PM
W
Warrior Poet Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
For Whitetail? Texas of course. But Oklahoma is nearby and has several pockets with some really big deer and quality/fun hunting.

If you were looking to go a little farther, on more of an adventure, you could counsider Kentucky. Amazing hunting and your son would have a chance to see some really big bucks out in the fields. Outfitted trips are fairly reasonable statewide.

Other no-draw options include Nebraska, Ohio, and Indiana.

I would chose Kentucky over all of those but Oklahoma has some great hunting and it's nearby.

Re: Looking for Father/Son Kansas Whitetail Hunt in December [Re: bignoggin] #6968246 11/21/17 07:34 PM
B
bear64 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
kentuckys gun season ended yesterday for the majority of the state, zone 1 counties will close this friday. and from the all out war for the last 10 days and the harvest totals coming in today, its hard to imagine there is a deer left in kentucky lol. it has definitely been a shooter market this year, not so good for the deer.

Re: Looking for Father/Son Kansas Whitetail Hunt in December [Re: bignoggin] #6969351 11/22/17 03:13 PM
S
sotx23 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Look for some mate season elk rifle hunts, possibly mule deer might be an option. Cancellations or last minute deals that outfitters didn’t sell. Good luck!

Re: Looking for Father/Son Kansas Whitetail Hunt in December [Re: bignoggin] #6970115 11/23/17 03:54 AM
BJ Duplechain Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Rocky Woodford Outfitting. He has a place in Bronte. Great guy and his wife Jerri is an awesome lady.

Re: Looking for Father/Son Kansas Whitetail Hunt in December [Re: bignoggin] #6970581 11/23/17 08:52 PM
S
sleepyfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
How about a Texas panhandle deer hunt. I remember there’s a place called plaska lodge in the panhandle that I was thinking about going to a few years ago, but never followed up. I am sure there’s a lot of outfitters in that area. I also have heard that Oklahoma is loaded with big deer as well.

Re: Looking for Father/Son Kansas Whitetail Hunt in December [Re: bignoggin] #6972124 11/25/17 07:44 PM
B
bignoggin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Folks-

Thank you most kindly for all of the suggestions. So far, a panhandle deer hunt at that Plaska Lodge sounds best. Also, I will look into Rocky Woodford place. Also, does anyone know of any mule deer outfitters in NE New Mexico or SE Colorado? Gosh I wish I could change the title of this thread to remove “Kansas”..!!! Maybe a Mod could help??

Re: Looking for Father/Son Kansas Whitetail Hunt in December [Re: bignoggin] #6972191 11/25/17 09:40 PM
B
bignoggin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Ok folks. So I was also advised to look into a ram hunt which make beautiful mounts ans trophy fees are reasonable. Texas Dall, Corsican, Blk Hawaiian etc. Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on a ram hunt? Or perhaps a suggested outfitter between DFW and Denver? Thanks in advance.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide