Page 1 of 2 1 2
Looking for jackrabbits #6964942 11/18/17 07:35 PM
C
Cuda67bnl Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Hi guys. New member here, and first post. I'm a falconer from Georgia, and I'm thinking about making a trip to Texas to chase jackrabbits with my hawks. I haven't been to Texas since 2008. I was hoping some of you could tell me what the jack population is like this year in different areas of the state. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I make the trip, it will likely be in about 3 weeks, and I will stay a week or so. I hunted around Amarillo last time, and numbers were fair. I'm looking for an area with good numbers, and gracious land owners. I'm very respectful of people's property, and always willing to have people join us on the hunt. Can anyone recommend an area of the state with plenty of jacks?

The consequence of conscience is that you'll be left somewhere,
Swinging in the air..........
Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6964953 11/18/17 07:54 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I was just out in SE New Mexico this week. There were plenty all over the place on public land around Hobbs. If you’re set on Texas I’d go around ODESSA, Crane, Andrews, or Seminole. If you can find someone that will let you hunt.

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6965029 11/18/17 09:21 PM
C
Cuda67bnl Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
I'm not set on anywhere particular just yet. Last 2 times I went west for jacks I hunted Kansas. Location isn't as important to me as population numbers. I'm looking for big numbers, to increase the odds of catching with the hawks. I've never been to New Mexico, but planned to look into it as I know there's a good amount of public land. I've been told recently that Odessa and Midland had good numbers right now. Gracious landowners are always the key. Often times, the fact that we're using Hawks instead of guns, helps get permission as there's no worries of errant bullets. Thanks for the tip on Hobbs. Can you elaborate on "plenty"?

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6967812 11/21/17 02:32 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Up here they yeard up in winter. Pretty interesting to see hundreds in a given area at one time.

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Wytex] #6967926 11/21/17 03:49 PM
R
RLoving1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I could let you tag along with me down here in Crane where I hunt dove! I wouldn't hunt but would love to watch someone work a falcon! Numbers seem to be good and lots of cotton tails and jacks when it got late waiting on dove. Maybe be able to make some calls in area and find something out of sand country that would let you do some birding.

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6967935 11/21/17 03:55 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I would like to see the bird that could take down a jackrabbit! The blacktips we got here are giant you must have a large hawk!

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6968189 11/21/17 06:55 PM
J
JTS Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
J
I'm not sure what constitutes good numbers, but I see jack rabbits every time I'm working at my farm. If you decide to come around Wichita Falls I would be happy to let your falcon hunt them.

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Navasot] #6968772 11/22/17 01:55 AM
C
Cuda67bnl Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted By: Navasot
I would like to see the bird that could take down a jackrabbit! The blacktips we got here are giant you must have a large hawk!

I'm flying a female Redtail Hawk, and I have a cast of 3 female Harris' Hawks. All will take jacks. Even a male Harris can take them. I'll see if I can find some videos on YouTube that show what we do.

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: JTS] #6968783 11/22/17 02:02 AM
C
Cuda67bnl Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted By: JTS
I'm not sure what constitutes good numbers, but I see jack rabbits every time I'm working at my farm. If you decide to come around Wichita Falls I would be happy to let your falcon hunt them.

Well, everybody has different ideas on what constitutes good numbers. Really good numbers would be walking a quarter section and jumping one every fifty yards or less. That's how it was in Amarillo in '08. Crazy numbers then. Walking around and flushing one every 5 minutes would be really good numbers. One flush an hour or less would be not so great. If we come to Texas, I'd love to take you up on your offer.

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: RLoving1] #6968785 11/22/17 02:04 AM
C
Cuda67bnl Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted By: RLoving1
I could let you tag along with me down here in Crane where I hunt dove! I wouldn't hunt but would love to watch someone work a falcon! Numbers seem to be good and lots of cotton tails and jacks when it got late waiting on dove. Maybe be able to make some calls in area and find something out of sand country that would let you do some birding.

Thanks for the offer!

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Wytex] #6968793 11/22/17 02:08 AM
C
Cuda67bnl Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted By: Wytex
Up here they yeard up in winter. Pretty interesting to see hundreds in a given area at one time.

Are you in Wyoming? Lots of whitetailed jacks up there mostly, correct? We stopped in Lubbock, Tx in '08 and hunted a spot where the black tails were herded up. You could see tons of them in the distance, and it looked like the ground was moving. It was nuts. They were unhuntable with the birds though in that particular spot, as they would flush when you were 150 yards away.......

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6968945 11/22/17 03:31 AM
C
Cuda67bnl Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Here's a couple videos of a female Harris Hawk chasing jacks. This is not me, but it'll give you an idea of what we do.......
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C2kSTEOuKs8
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhi1UkJGnuY

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6969732 11/22/17 09:44 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Thats awesome always wanted to do it but I wouldnt have the time to put into it.

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6970054 11/23/17 02:50 AM
W
WTBBC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I've got more rabbits than I've ever seen. PM me

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6970129 11/23/17 04:04 AM
C
Cuda67bnl Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Here's another video some of you may enjoy. Nothing but goshawks and golden eagles in this one, but it's all action shots. Gives ya an idea of what great flights look like.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=D3dsjnNcn5g

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: WTBBC] #6970131 11/23/17 04:04 AM
C
Cuda67bnl Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted By: WTBBC
I've got more rabbits than I've ever seen. PM me

Pm on the way......

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6970355 11/23/17 03:24 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Very kool....good luck hunting. Please post videos and pics from your trip. cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6970499 11/23/17 06:19 PM
C
Cuda67bnl Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
I just ordered a head strap for my GoPro, in hopes of getting some video. I'll definitely post em if it works out, especially if we can hook up with some forum members.

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6971944 11/25/17 03:10 PM
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I'm curious how the local hawks handle another in their territory, our Red Tails and Coopers are pretty protective of their area. We've had a ton of hawks move in for the winter. The larger Ferruginous Hawk will feed on smaller hawks.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6972667 11/26/17 01:45 PM
C
Cuda67bnl Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
The locals will often try to drive em off. But since we are there too, they usually don't get too close. A lot of times it depends on where and how you're hunting. Around here we mostly hunt squirrels. The birds are trained to follow us around in the tree tops. So the locals may swoop in and try to run em off. In most cases we can just yell at them, and they'll leave. Sometimes, it's the falconry bird that's the aggressor towards the locals. Anytime I've gone west for jacks, we typically fly the bird from the fist or a t-perch. So the bird is on an arm or perch, and the locals won't get close because of us. Guys flying falcons tend to have more problems. Their birds are trained to fly overhead waiting for a flush. So locals can swoop in and chase them away, or even just kill them.

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6978424 12/01/17 08:36 AM
C
Cuda67bnl Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
I've been posting on another Texas forum, and have found some more interest from a few landowners in letting us hunt their property. Now if I can just get my birds to cooperate a little bit, maybe we can get the ball rolling and make this trip. I had hoped to head that way by the end of next week, but I've hit a snag in training. It's taking longer than expected to get my Harris a Hawks going again. I'm not looking forward to the 1200 mile ride, but I'm sure ready to see some jack rabbits running again!

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6979444 12/02/17 02:30 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Can't wait to see the photos and videos..... cheers

I love raptors.....

Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6984471 12/06/17 01:01 AM
C
Cuda67bnl Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Just a clip of my Redtail, Myra, enjoying a squirrel head snack after catching 2 squirrels this afternoon. I'll be posting my Texas plans in a day or so. When I do, I'll be contacting everyone that has shown interest in letting us chase some rabbits.

https://youtu.be/jj3r5jGRyYw

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6990459 12/10/17 01:04 PM
C
Cuda67bnl Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Okay guys, here's an update on our upcoming adventure...... My original hope was to be in Texas right now. But my Harris Hawks didn't cooperate and I wasn't able to get them going in time. But, they're on the wing again now. Took them out for their first flight yesterday. They need some tuning, and need some flying time to get in shape again. They haven't flown in about 4 years. The friend that was gonna go with me, could only go this week, so he won't be making the trip with me. Another friend will be joining me though, and will have 2 Harris Hawks with him. So we'll have 5 Harris Hawks and 1 Redtail Hawk looking for jack rabbits and bunnies. Delaying the trip a couple of weeks will give me time to try and get my birds in better shape.

Our current plan is to be in south west Texas sometime during the night of December 27th. Probably somewhere between San Angelo and the Midland area. If we can line up some spots before then, we'd like to do some hunting in the area. If we can't, we will most likely go ahead and drive into New Mexico since there is so much public land there, and will eliminate having to knock on doors asking for permission. We plan to hunt until January 4th or 5th, then head home. We have to be back here by the 6th, so he can be back to his house in Florida by the 7th.

Several folks here have been kind enough to potentially offer us the chance to hunt on their property, or on properties they have access to. A few on another Texas forum have as well. I'm gonna email the folks that have left their contact info, and see what everyone's schedule looks like, and see if we will be able to meet up. If those folks aren't working, I hope we can get together for some jack/bunny hawking. If we can't work it out, then please know that we still appreciate the offer. We will be trying to hunt from daylight to dark every day. Hopefully the weather cooperates, the wind doesn't blow bad, and the rabbits are abundant.

For those wanting to help with property and see some Hawks hunting, I think you'll enjoy it. It is nothing like gun hunting though. There will be far more misses than catches. We'll do everything we can to catch all we can, but we won't make a dent in the population. But we'll have a hell of a time trying.

Re: Looking for jackrabbits [Re: Cuda67bnl] #6990758 12/10/17 06:54 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Can't wait to see videos and pics.....