Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. #6967595 11/21/17 04:17 AM
Roll-Tide Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Was heading out the gate the other day and ran into guy across county road. He proceeds to tell me he bought a thermal scope and has downed 200 plus hogs in three months.

He let me look through it, as it was dark. My first time ever to look through one, it was impressive.

So it got me thinking. I don't have a huge need for one and don't want to spend a ton of money on something I will rarely use.

Option 1. Sightmark Photon, 650 bucks
Option 2. ATN Thor for 2000.

What I have read and what concerns me is the IR illuminator and can hogs and coyotes see it.

I won't shoot over 200 yards...

Any advice welcomed.....

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6967616 11/21/17 04:59 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Great questions and you are not alone in this dilemma. I'll try my best to help.

For most guys, it simply comes down to your budget. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a matter of whether you are rich or broke, I'm saying it often just depends on how much money you want to spend. Some guys (even with the money) could never dream of spending $2k on a night vision scope and they are perfectly happy with the digital NV like the Photons. However, there is some truth to the saying, "once you go thermal, you never go back." grin

The Photons are excellent, a real bargain for the money. With a good external IR light you can pretty easily see hogs out to 200-225 yards. I used a Photon since the day the first ones were released and I've killed a lot of hogs with them, especially the XT models. They work great but the thing about digital NV is, when it comes to seeing animals out past 225+ yards, you never know what you are missing because.....you never see it. I hope that makes a little sense. Basically you don't know you are missing seeing hogs out there at 300-400 yards because you never knew they were there. With thermal, you see them and go to them. That's how you kill so many more hogs with thermal. You see hogs you'd have missed otherwise.

The furthest I can see in one direction in my pasture is 450 yards. I can stand on my back porch with thermal and scan that whole field in 5 seconds and tell you affirmatively there are NO hogs out there. With something like the Photon, in 10 seconds I can tell you there is a 95% chance there are no hogs within 200 yards of my back porch. That's a big difference. I'm missing seeing many acres of land.

A lot of it also comes down to how you are going to hunt. If you are going to sit in a stand with a feeder at 50 yards and you won't be able to see past 200 yards in any direction, digital NV will work fine. It's still more work than thermal scanning around and you will still miss seeing a few hogs from time to time but generally speaking, you won't miss seeing a ton of stuff.

Thermal also has uses while deer hunting during the daylight when using it as a spotting scope because again, nothing can sneak past you. Thermal is also one of the greatest tools you can have on tracking job because you can find a dead deer or hog laid up that you'd have walked past and never seen without it.

I want to mention a couple other things....

Quote:
Option 1. Sightmark Photon, 650 bucks

Which Photon is this? The new RT's that aren't released yet? I ask because there has been a price drop and the most expensive Photon XT is the 6.5x50L and it's $599 now.

Quote:

Option 2. ATN Thor for 2000.

Don't take this the wrong way and I don't want to be rude about it, but I would not suggest buying the $2,000 Thor. There are other thermals in that approx price range that will waaay out perform that Thor unit. I think most on this forum will agree.

I know I've rambled a good bit but if you'd like to talk on the phone one day, give me a call. I'd be glad to help answer any questions I can. I spend most of my day talking to people in the exact same scenario as you are, I'm glad to help.

- Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6967624 11/21/17 05:06 AM
Roll-Tide Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Please elaborate on other units, I just saw the Thor at Cabelas. I'm definetly open.

You make excellent points, and I love your youtube videos...

Yes I was talking about the 6.5 Photon...

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6967706 11/21/17 01:00 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I wouldn’t spend a penny of my money on an ATN product. This is based on my experience, and is strictly my opinion.

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Midwaytmm] #6967722 11/21/17 01:27 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Midwaytmm
I wouldn’t spend a penny of my money on an ATN product. This is based on my experience, and is strictly my opinion.

your opinion is shared my many.........

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6967723 11/21/17 01:28 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Outdoor Legacy Gear, very informative post. up

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6967728 11/21/17 01:33 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I had thermal and dumped it, NV all the way for me (w/ respect to shooting past 100yrds).... of course now that I already have NV a nice compact hand held or ever helmet mounted thermal would be nice

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: SingleShot85] #6967848 11/21/17 02:51 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
I had thermal and dumped it, NV all the way for me (w/ respect to shooting past 100yrds).... of course now that I already have NV a nice compact hand held or ever helmet mounted thermal would be nice

I bet I'm not the omly one who would like to know what led you to your conclusions.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6967924 11/21/17 03:47 PM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Like the others, I strongly suggest doing research before purchasing an ATN product.

Unless strictly hunting under feeders, you will need a weapon sight and a spotter. Ideally, one has the $$$$$ for thermal for both. Of course, the rest of us mortals have to compromise somewhere. I have several NV units of varying quality and will probably pick up a quality entry level ($2000-2500) thermal spotter sometime next year. My suggestion is this: buy a Photon XT or wait until the new RT units are released. Get a quality IR illuminator. Get your feet wet, and you'll figure things out pretty quickly. Unless you're ready to commit $$$$$, think quality entry level thermal for spotting and NV/digital for shooting. One final thought: in spite of some disadvantages, one major advantage of digital is recoil durability when compared with conventional NV.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6967941 11/21/17 03:59 PM
Roll-Tide Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I appreciate the ATN advice. I'm open, and don't know anything about ATN at all.

I'm open to any entry thermal.

Some good points are made.

But:

Are hogs and coyotes spooked by IR illuminator? Don't want to by NV and not be able to hunt anything.

Last edited by Roll-Tide; 11/21/17 03:59 PM.
Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6967961 11/21/17 04:12 PM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
Are hogs and coyotes spooked by IR illuminator? Don't want to by NV and not be able to hunt anything.

800nm IR units give a modest red glow. 900nm units are completely invisible. 800nm units will illuminate for as far as you can see to shoot with digital. 900nm units have much more limited range. Animals that are heavily night hunted may clue into the red glow of the 800nm units, but the vast majority will not given sensible usage on your part. If you're concerned, buy quality illuminators in both ranges and then make the call for a given hunt.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: RiverRider] #6967965 11/21/17 04:13 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

I bet I'm not the omly one who would like to know what led you to your conclusions.

Detection amazing....... Identification not so much, didn't fit my needs i was shooting mostly 300-600 on steel and the occasional vermin making the mistake of crossing the range during a night shoot (dogs/yotes/calves/deer/hogs all look the same at that distance) and when I realized that my day optic was useless with the thermal clip on and i was looking at a generated image and you refresh rates, mega pixels and bla bla bla, I was out....

I do realize the advantages of thermal which is why I would mind one now but when it was one or the other.... well

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6967992 11/21/17 04:32 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Most Illuminators do give of a red glow. But only gonna bother pigs when you’re real close. I like to get inside 20 -40 yds before we open up. I just kick the light off before then . If we get busted, we’re still pretty damn close.....

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: SingleShot85] #6968021 11/21/17 04:49 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Detection amazing....... Identification not so much, didn't fit my needs i was shooting mostly 300-600 on steel and the occasional vermin making the mistake of crossing the range during a night shoot (dogs/yotes/calves/deer/hogs all look the same at that distance) and when I realized that my day optic was useless with the thermal clip on and i was looking at a generated image and you refresh rates, mega pixels and bla bla bla, I was out....

I do realize the advantages of thermal which is why I would mind one now but when it was one or the other.... well

A cheaper thermal is really not much better than a good digital NV, and likely the reason you couldn't identify at 300 yards. I can pretty easily identify the difference in hogs and deer at over 600 yards with mine.

If you want a life changing hunting experience then spend the money to get a good thermal.

OP, save up, get a good thermal that costs at least $3000 like one of the newer Pulsars....trust me, you will be glad you did.

I started with a green kill light and scope, then a digital NV, and moved up to a badass thermal (IR Hunter Mark 2)....one of the best decisions I have ever made in regards to hunting.

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: DocHorton] #6968032 11/21/17 05:01 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: DocHorton

A cheaper thermal is really not much better than a good digital NV, and likely the reason you couldn't identify at 300 yards. I can pretty easily identify the difference in hogs and deer at over 600 yards with mine.

If you want a life changing hunting experience then spend the money to get a good thermal.

OP, save up, get a good thermal that costs at least $3000 like one of the newer Pulsars....trust me, you will be glad you did.

I started with a green kill light and scope, then a digital NV, and moved up to a badass thermal (IR Hunter Mark 2)....one of the best decisions I have ever made in regards to hunting.

seriously... who the hell said anything about "digital", digital NV is even worse than thermal.....

this is the unit I owned armasight apollo-336-30hz-50mm thermal-clip-on vs my armasight gen III CO-x on 6x-12x 3/4 moon clear no external illum that thermal can't even serve as a battery holder to the NV......

Last edited by SingleShot85; 11/21/17 05:05 PM.
Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6968049 11/21/17 05:16 PM
C
chalet Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Casual hog shooting and night hunting - Photon for the money. Haven't had an issue with hogs picking up the IR on mine. Honestly, don't need it a whole lot as if there is any kind of moonlight you don't need the IR on to spot hogs in open fields or at feeders.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6968075 11/21/17 05:38 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Please elaborate on other units, I just saw the Thor at Cabelas. I'm definetly open.

You make excellent points, and I love your youtube videos...

Yes I was talking about the 6.5 Photon...

I appreciate the ATN advice. I'm open, and don't know anything about ATN at all.

I'm open to any entry thermal.

Some good points are made.

But:

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it.

First things first, let's talk about hogs, coyotes and IR illumination. This is a question that will garner many different opinions, depending on who you talk to. I'm even hesitant to answer with my experience because I know someone will probably come a long below and explain how I'm an idiot. Which is probably true. grin

In my own personal experience, I have never had a hog spook because of infrared light. If they did, I'd only have 1 game camera picture of every hog because he'd run off when the IR's fired to illuminate the picture. I have been told stories by a few people of hogs that spook as soon as you turn on the IR light. I will not say it can't happen, I've just never seen it and I've killed a whole lot of hogs with digital NV. Maybe they can be educated to it?

As for coyotes, I don't do much coyote hunting but in my limited sample size, I've never had an issue with fox or coyote and IR light. I know some guys really do swear it's an issue and they prefer to use the 940nm IR lights vs the 800-850nm IR light range. The only problem with 940nm is that it puts off an infrared light that digital optics can't "see" as well and thus, your range is diminished. I've sold hundreds of Photons over the years and a ton of them have been to guys up north who do nothing but coyote hunt. They send me pics, emails and call me all the time telling me about how much they love their Photons and I bet I haven't had 3 of them ever tell me that coyotes could see their IR light.

So at the end of the day, do hogs or coyotes see IR light? Maybe but not in my personal experience. I wouldn't let that be my reason for not buying digital NV though.

As for affordable/entry level thermal units that are available on the market today, I would buy either the Pulsar Core RXQ30V $1,899 or I'd buy the Pulsar Apex XQ38 $2,499. The RXQ30V is an excellent entry level thermal and a very capable scope. The Apex XQ38 is not an entry level scope and it's image quality is absolutely stunning for a 384x288 thermal core. It as the same identical image quality as the $3,299 Pulsar Trail XQ38. My current choice in the lower price range would definitely be the RXQ30V or the Apex XQ38. The FLIR PTS233 is supposed to be coming soon and it's going to be $2,199. Image quality wise, it will be a competitor to the RXQ30V, not the Apex XQ38. To get into a much more in depth discussion about these optics will get to be a bit too much for typing, but I'd be glad to explain more or answer questions on a phone call.

At the end of the day, you need to decide how much you want to spend and how bad you want to kill hogs/coyotes etc. Syncerus has an excellent point that the Photons are a super way to get your feet wet into NV hunting without breaking the bank. After a year or so with the Photon you will know if you want to upgrade or if you are happy with digital NV. If however, you know you are serious about it and you have the budget, there is nothing wrong with jumping into thermal.

Hope that answers a few questions.

- Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: SingleShot85] #6968216 11/21/17 07:16 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: DocHorton

seriously... who the hell said anything about "digital", digital NV is even worse than thermal.....

this is the unit I owned armasight apollo-336-30hz-50mm thermal-clip-on vs my armasight gen III CO-x on 6x-12x 3/4 moon clear no external illum that thermal can't even serve as a battery holder to the NV......

I did. And I've owned cheap thermals and expensive thermals. I could see much further and more clearly with my digital NV than I could with my cheap thermal which was a 336 resolution. For detection the thermal can work better, but for shooting at distances over 150-200 yards the digital NV gave a more clear picture than my cheaper thermal scope. You said you couldn't identify the difference in a cow and a coyote at 300 yards....that was no problem with my digital NV.

And I don't doubt your experience....the 336 clip-on isn't a very good thermal scope. Need to step up to at least 384 resolution or preferably 640 to get a good picture.

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6968219 11/21/17 07:17 PM
Roll-Tide Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
What do you think about the FLIR PT'S 233? As an option.

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6968261 11/21/17 07:45 PM
H
He'sDeadJim Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
What do you think about the FLIR PTS233? As an option.

(877)350-1818

Pick up the phone.

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6968600 11/22/17 12:08 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
What do you think about the FLIR PT'S 233? As an option.

I think I'll know more when FLIR finally ships them. I was promised my first shipment over 3 months ago. So far, only a handful of units have been shipped out. I was supposed to have a demo unit in August but that never happened either because they recalled the demos after only a couple dealers got their hands on them. From what I've seen and heard from first hand usage, it's going to be a great little scope and as mentioned, a direct competitor to the Pulsar Core RXQ30V. The claim to fame for the PTS233 is the 12 micron Boson core and the internal video recording. The negative is that it doesn't have an OLED display and it is 320x240 resolution. By comparison the RXQ30V is 384x288, 17 microns, AMOLED display and no video recording at all. They are both fixed focus and 1.6x optical. The reason you'd upgrade to the PTS233 is for video recording. You are giving up some resolution, which is no small issue to me, but it's probably not the end of the world. If recording video internally is important, this is the least expensive scope (soon to be...hopefully) on the market to do it.

I still think once you've decided to spend $2,199, unless internal video recording is a very important feature, then the Pulsar Apex XQ38 for $2,499 is by far a superior scope due to the amazing image quality. So to rank all 3 scopes I'd say it like this....

Pulsar Core RXQ30V $1,899 - Least expensive thermal rifle scope on the market, great specs and features, it's already shipping and is a very capable little unit.

FLIR ThermoSight PTS233 $2,199 - Upgrade to this scope if you want internal video recording. Very similar specs and image quality as the RXQ30V.

Pulsar Apex XQ38 $2,499 - Image quality is a whole other level than the other two scopes. 100% comparable to the image quality of the $3,000-$4,000 Pulsar scopes. 2.1x optical magnification and a focus-able objective lens.

- Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: He'sDeadJim] #6968601 11/22/17 12:08 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: He'sDeadJim
What do you think about the FLIR PTS233? As an option.

(877)350-1818

Pick up the phone.

Haha! Thanks! cheers

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: I'm perplexed. NV or Thermal... Need advice. [Re: SingleShot85] #6968696 11/22/17 01:05 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

The fault wasn't with the thermal, it sounds like, but with the choice of thermals that you were using.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide